• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your earliest memory of gaming on a PC?

Fbh

My dad bringing home some "30 in 1" MS-DOS game collection.

Among them was the original Duke Nukem. I remember playing in "co-op" with my sister. She would move and jump and basically do everything and I was in charge of the shoot button.

Bubba77

If i remember correctly it was Dungrons and dragons/kings field games when i was 6 or so. Then risk online with prodigy!

What hooked me was sim city, wolfenstein, doom, etc

Playing the demo of History Line 1914-18 and then seeing the intro sequence of Dune 2 (holy shit!) at a friends PC.

That was when I decided I don't need to get the Amiga 500 anymore, I want a PC.

NoKisum

Earliest I can think of were a bunch of Apogee shareware games my dad used to get. Standout favorites for me were Secret Agent, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Duke Nukem II, and Wacky Wheels. I think I remember playing Jazz Jackrabbit as well, but I don't remember if that was Apogee or not.

Crazy eyes

Neo Member
King's Quest VI

25835_front.jpg

kq6ss3.gif

Oregon Trail and Math Blasters at school, but I was already into computers as fun things prior to that. My mom had a computer in 1980s and she used to open up word and let me bang the key board and literally just make dozens of pages of junk text and then print it out.
The clanky keyboard and the crazy loud dot-matrix printer had me hooked.

I probably would have gotten into games anyways, but that stuff in pre-k opened me up to the idea that computers were things you used to have fun.

Veggy

I was a console player for years until playing the original Doom at my uncle's house

Holy shit what a rush, begged my parents to buy me a Pentium PC and....PC gaming goodness began

appaws

Banned
My dad brought me home a "computer." I didn't know really what it was. My friend had Atari and I had asked for one for myself. Parents thought it was frivolous but a computer was justifiable.

He brought me a cartridge to stick in the slot in the back. Changed my life!

CyberChulo

42 years old. The first one I can remember was Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II e. Looks nothing like what we have today. lol.

beyond-castle-wolfenstein_5.gif

loudbill

Army Men II by 3DO when i was like maybe 3-5 years old. That was my first PC game, and i still somehow have the original copy to it. The game always kinda creeped me out, especially the part where their are zombies. 3DO cutscenes/graphics always weirded me out too. But i loved that game and I still do!

Steroyd

cd/skate.exe

I think it was Skate or Die, I definitely remember playing commander Keen and getting freaked the fuck out of the giant fish that would gobble you up with it's freakish smile *shudders*

And Prince of Persia, the skeleton that I couldn't kill also freaked me out, wow I was easily scared as a kid.

kunonabi

Had a friend named Ram and when i went over to his house we would play where in time is carmen sandiego. We would spin our chairs around and pretend to be traveling in time. We would also snack on entemman's chocolate chip cookies and milk. Good times all around.

OuterLimits

Had a friend named Ram and when i went over to his house we would play where in time is carmen sandiego. We would spin our chairs around and pretend to be traveling in time. We would also snack on entemman's chocolate chip cookies and milk. Good times all around.

Those games were pretty damn fun.

Time to reveal my age....

Apple II, the first time I used one was in Kindergarten. I remeber spending a lot of time playing Number Munchers and Math Blasters on this thing.
my-first-personal-computer-the-apple-ii.jpg

Tandy Colour Computer 3:
tandy_coco3.jpg

My parents bought me one of these when I was a kid. It was my first computer. The selection of software really wasn't very good if you were to walk into a Radio Shack back in the day. I didn't get to see much software for this machine, but I remember learning Basic on it.

My parents also had a IBM compatible 386, I used to play games like Keen and Wolf 3D on it. Then they upgraded to a Windows 95 machine. The first PC that I ever built with my own money, is this Win98 machine here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203203141&postcount=394 , http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203208598&postcount=395. I still have it to this day and it works. the Win9x era of PC gaming is probably my favorite era.

woopWOOP

Animal Math was the very first videogame I ever played, tho I only have vague memories of it. Didn't really like it either, lol

Our family PC was usually pretty crappy and behind what my different cousins had, but Mixed Up Mother Goose and Spy VS Spy were some our favourite DOS games that we could play at home.

I mostly played consoles after that, but cousin's C&C Red Alert and Warcraft 2 got me super into RTS games, what eventually was what I spent most of my time playing on PC when I got a decent one for myself.

Posted early it may have been Battle Chess or Scorced Earth, but some of these posts reminded me of school computer games. We had this old black and white (err... black and white and green maybe?) Apples in grade 1 or 2, and that may have been even before those IBM comp. DOS games.

Think it was probably... Number Crunchers that was the very earliest game I ever played?
Number Crunchers, Oregon Trail, and good ole' Cross Country Canada haha.

MRsU3Go.png

"pick up hitchhiker"
"deliver to altruist cult"

Commander keen on a gravis pad lol, and magic pockets! I can't even remember what I played that on must have been an old 286/386 I think.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
1451-montezuma-s-revenge-apple-ii-front-cover.jpg

That was my first PC game I remember, but I played a bunch of games on the TI 99/4A which was my very first computer. Then I migrated to an Atari ST. Finally getting an 8086.

Same game for me. I can still hear the chip tune version of Hall of the Mountain King that it played constantly in my head.

Cato

Banned
I started playing before "playing on PC" was a thing.
The biggest "wooah" moment was probably when I saw KnightLore for the first time...

Top Bottom