• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

batbeg

Sorry I missed this thread. I'm struggling to figure out how to play co-op with the 2 joycons. They just seem to act as a single controller with no obvious options to tell the game I'm playing with them sideways?

Edit: just figured out this is OS dependant.

japtor

I haven't heard anything about this and tried googling it, and this is the only "evidence" I can find. Seems extremely flimsy, "Local multiplayer with one game" easily describes plain multiplayer on 1 Switch. There's been zero real hints at Download Play being a thing on Switch, I don't think it's worth hoping for.

https://twitter.com/KONAMIFR/status/826004620325560322?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
I think there was something about it in the leaked dev docs, I don't remember if anyone thought of it before that. But yeah it's not something Nintendo or anyone has mentioned officially at all afaik.

Chairhome

Sorry I missed this thread. I'm struggling to figure out how to play co-op with the 2 joycons. They just seem to act as a single controller with no obvious options to tell the game I'm playing with them sideways?

Edit: just figured out this is OS dependant.

press home, go to controller settings, press L and R together on each controller.

The game feels a little sluggish, I played a quick online game with 1 person. I'll try again tomorrow.

duckroll

Maxsoft sucks balls. No Bomberman in Singapore until next week. Should I wait for the awesome case and cart, or grab it off the eShop today? :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice OT. My preorder is hopefully coming today for £35. I haven't played a bomberman for so long, and it's one of those classic multiplayer games that works so well - hopefully it is well implemented.

Happy to pay a normal price as I'll get a lot of enjoyment from it

Maxsoft sucks balls. No Bomberman in Singapore until next week. Should I wait for the awesome case and cart, or grab it off the eShop today? :(

Eshop and then print out a case? Someone will probably scan it in for you if you want

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game isn't bad so far, but I feel like it has some really awful input lag which is bugging me.

press home, go to controller settings, press L and R together on each controller.

The game feels a little sluggish, I played a quick online game with 1 person. I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh this doesn't sound good. Would like to hear some more impressions. I think bomberman would be ok with a bit of input lag but that could get annoying very quickly

The joycon thing can't be right, can it? I'd expect any game that lets you use separate joycons to be able to switch into that mode without you having to go into the main OS settings each time?

Joqu

That's a damn good FAQ right there

But I'm honestly not sure when I'm getting this. I do think I'm going to have to wait till the price drops some, sorry bomberman.

Nairume

Banned
I took a break from Zelda to put a little time into this. It's fine as far as being bomberman goes, as it does that well enough.

Really the pricing is the big glaring flaw here. There's more to it than we gave credit (like I don't remember much talk of the game having a ranked mode) but $50 is steep for sure.

That said, it's not like its the first time I've paid a lot for a bomberman game that should have been cheaper. I managed to make it worth it then, and I am sure I will do that with this one.

Feeroper

I got this game, but out of all the stuff I picked up for the Switch tonight, its the only thing that doesn't work. When I put the cart in nothing happens, the switch doesn't respond to it at all. All other carts are fine though so I guess I got a dead cart here. Hopefully the store I got it from has more copies so I can get it exchanged.

xlom3000

There is about half a second input lag on all my actions when playing online. I stop about half a brick away from where I want to when I let got of the buttons. Don't even get me started on trying to strategically place bombs while walking... :(

Nairume

Banned
There is about half a second input lag on all my actions when playing online. I stop about half a brick away from where I want to when I let got of the buttons. Don't even get me started on trying to strategically place bombs while walking... :(
I hit that too in a match, but it seemed like it was lag from one of the other players.

Sheentak

I want to get this game but not sure if i want it digitally or physically. Physical edition is £5 cheaper but id like always have this on me

Went into local battle and put my controller into horizontal mode so 2 people can play. how do you turn that off in Bomberman? I can't see it anywhere?

Spades

The first boss in story - what the fuck? Used about 30 lives and still haven't got close to beating him.

Terrorblot

Just waiting for my shift to end so I can book it to Best Buy and pick up my Switch. Ended up getting Zelda, Bomberman R, and 1-2 Switch. Can't wait! This is my first Bomberman since Live, and that had been my first since 64/Hero!

I have a question about 2 player local multiplayer when the Switch is undocked. I was thinking I could just put up the kick stand, detach the two joy cons, then have L Joy Con be player 1 and R Joy Con be player 2.

But it's not working that way. The game is recognizing L and R joy cons together as player 1. Anyway to change that to what I'm trying to do? Bomberman only has one button. It seems like you should be able to play it how I described.

The few streams I have seen doing multiplayer shows pretty shit input lag. I am going to reserve judgement until I play but what is being said does not bode well for more serious online play.

As I've been trying to tell people for weeks now, this game likely has synchronized netcode because of the 4 player limitation and therefore this sort of thing should be expected.

Synchronzied netcode means that all it takes is one laggy-ass player, someone on shit wifi, matchmaking ignoring ping, torrenting shit while playing, etc. for things to go to hell, and with 4 players this can happen way too often. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced this before in Sm4sh, no?

batbeg

I have a question about 2 player local multiplayer when the Switch is undocked. I was thinking I could just put up the kick stand, detach the two joy cons, then have L Joy Con be player 1 and R Joy Con be player 2.

But it's not working that way. The game is recognizing L and R joy cons together as player 1. Anyway to change that to what I'm trying to do? Bomberman only has one button. It seems like you should be able to play it how I described.

Push your home button and go to controller settings. You have to sync each controller separately.

I hope they can help the input lag with a patch of some sort. I think the game is pretty fun otherwise. Once I realized the game had fully analog movement I feel like I am doing a little better using the analog stick, which is crazy because because I usually only use the dpad in games like this.

Considering Hexa Drive has a history of getting great performance out of games, it's hard to believe they worked on this. I wonder if perhaps they were brought in at the very end or something just to make the game playable. This game screams 9-12 month dev cycle.

HyperHip

Played a couple of online matches, some ranged from slight input lag to downright choppy + input lag.

Local was fun as hell though, and i'm just going to try and do this as much as possible.

HorseFD

Story mode seems pretty great so far. I also played a couple of battle matches against AI and that was pretty good too.

It seems like this game is hard to control with the D-pad (including the Pro Controller's) and I ended up using the stick.

Kinsei

Banned
I played up to the first boss of the story mode in co-op and really enjoyed it. Online on the other hand was a mess. I really hope there's a patch or it looks like I'll only be playing this locally.

Gosh, ranked online is brutal. +100 for a win, -100 for a loss. I feel like in a four player game you should be able to advance with a 50% win rate, not just stay at the bottom forever.

NotLiquid

After playing a few rounds I can safely say - it's Bomberman. You get what you expect, which isn't innovation but expect to scream a lot when you screw someone or get screwed over yourself. And that is okay with me.

Online lag sucks but I still manage to have fun with four people running around. Single player is surprisingly neat.

Why is this the kind of game to have input lag when playing online at all? I would have thought that online play for a game like this would be like Halo's, where you have complete control of your character as if it was offline but everything else in the game needs to sync up.

Top Bottom