• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U High Capacity-Battery and Wii Remote Rapid Charger coming to Europe on Oct 4th

guek

Banned
Comparing the complaint about the gimped battery in the launch WiiU knowing there was space in there for a much larger battery and then Nintendo releasing said larger battery for more profit is one thing. Comparing that complaint to the folks moaning about the paywalls of Xbox and Playstation and lack of BC is plain stupid.

Please stop with the weak strawman replies.

...but you still don't give a shit that 360 and xb1 controllers don't come with rechargeable batteries at all...ok then.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Comparing the complaint about the gimped battery in the launch WiiU knowing there was space in there for a much larger battery and then Nintendo releasing said larger battery for more profit is one thing. Comparing that complaint to the folks moaning about the paywalls of Xbox and Playstation and lack of BC is plain stupid.

Please stop with the weak strawman replies.
lol... You seem like you have you're own agenda here. I don't. So I won't continue, for your sake.

Jackano

Dat prices. 30€? That's expensive as hell. I'm even reconsidering buying one FFS.
What value is this making the whole gamepad? 140~180€?

I was already complaining with the Nintendo controllers policies back at the Wii: too much shit over there, too much expensive (20€ the nunchuk for example).
This is even worse.

daakusedo

A better battery is good, but I wondered if I really needed it, yesterday I played w101 more than I should have and given it's 30€, I'm probably not in a hurry to change.

So I am in NA, when can I get this and where? Amazon-UK?

I am not interested in a faulty NYKO battery, even if they fixed the prod run I will probably get an older one.

Shiggy

Ordered the rapid charger set now. I also had a €5 discount on Amazon though I don't remember the reason for that. Only drawback is the colour as my remotes are white and gold.

NeoRausch

Shiggy

The Wii Remote Rechargeable Battery will be available for € 2.99 + €4.80 on the Nintendo Online Store only. Launches on October 4. Kinda expensive.

Sorry people living in non-NoE-countries as those do not have the Nintendo Online Store.

NeoRausch

The Wii Remote Rechargeable Battery will be available for € 2.99 + €4.80 on the Nintendo Online Store only. Launches on October 4. Kinda expensive.

Sorry people living in non-NoE-countries as those do not have the Nintendo Online Store.

added to the op.

the price seems alright to me. but are they still only available in black?

fred

So has anyone bought a Nyko one recently..? Was wondering if they had sorted out the issues that the first batch had..?

The battery that should've been inside the game pad from day one!

I hope it is fitted to new game pads so id i pick a wii u up i don't need to pay the price of a game on a battery...

nluckett

Does the WiiU gamepad feel significantly heavier with the new battery on??I doubt it, but just to be sure...

To those asking, yes, it does feel heavier. I imported one from Japan on Play-Asia and the battery life is great, but you do feel the heft.

Think PS3 controller vs 360 controller.

The Gamepad isnt as comfortable to hold in an upright position as before, but the battery life makes up for it.

Rizsparky

Not paying this much for a battery upgrade. I'll just plug the charger into the gamepad and play with it. I don't see a problem with it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not paying this much for a battery upgrade. I'll just plug the charger into the gamepad and play with it. I don't see a problem with it.

This is exactly what I do. I just have a small extension cord running from the wall along the underside of my couch, so the charger cord just comes right up. It is funny though how quickly the battery light comes on whenever I unplug it and watch a show or something from a different spot. It seems like I get a couple of episodes in and the warning light is already on.

Exile20

This is exactly what I do. I just have a small extension cord running from the wall along the underside of my couch, so the charger cord just comes right up. It is funny though how quickly the battery light comes on whenever I unplug it and watch a show or something from a different spot. It seems like I get a couple of episodes in and the warning light is already on.

The problem arises when you have people over to play local multiplayer, now instead of the controller moving from person to person, the person is getting up moving to where the controller it constantly while it is charging. It sucks.

The problem arises when you have people over to play local multiplayer, now instead of the controller moving from person to person, the person is getting up moving to where the controller it constantly while it is charging. It sucks.

That's not that difficult to fix. Instead of having people get up to go where the Wii U is, don't invite people over to your house to play games.

Mission Accomplished

Calamari41

41 > 38

An excellent point, and one that I didn't think of since I haven't played Nintendoland since, like, February.

That's not that difficult to fix. Instead of having people get up to go where the Wii U is, don't invite people over to your house to play games.

Mission Accomplished

Or just invite them over to watch you play Monster Hunter for 13 hours straight.

disco

Really want the Wii Remote Rapid Charging Set but can't find the UK version anywhere online for UK delivery. :'(

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My order from amazon.de was delivered today. I bought both the Gamepad battery and the wiimote charging set.

The extended Gamepad battery is actually quite heavy, the weight increase is noticeable. I really doubt that it would have been a good idea to pack it in by default with the Gamepad, you lose a little bit of the great feeling of "easy to hold and to use" with it. You get use to it and it is not that bad in the end, but you would definitely lose the "wow" factor that I personally felt when I first held the Gamepad and played with it.

Exile20

My order from amazon.de was delivered today. I bought both the Gamepad battery and the wiimote charging set.

The extended Gamepad battery is actually quite heavy, the weight increase is noticeable. I really doubt that it would have been a good idea to pack it in by default with the Gamepad, you lose a little bit of the great feeling of "easy to hold and to use" with it. You get use to it and it is not that bad in the end, but you would definitely lose the "wow" factor that I personally felt when I first held the Gamepad and played with it.

Give us a small review on the battery when you get a chance.

CoolS

I can give a small one, had the battery for about a week or two now:

The weight definitely increases. I especially noticed when carrying the Gamepad around in one hand. However, I don't think it is a big problem when you use it normally with two hands. At least not for a normal adult. It might get a bit heavy for children, so I can see why they used the smaller battery in the first place.

On the performance: I normally play with rumble on, brightness of 3, energy savings on and volume at about half. The old battery lasted 3-3.5 hours on those settings for me. I don't think I ever went over that.
My test with the new battery (which consisted of a lot of WWHD, some brwosing and some Miiverse) took me to a solig 6.5 hours, maybe even close to 7 (stretched over 3 sessions I think).

It's definitely a lot nicer now, and I'll probably never run into the problem of having an empty battery anymore, especially since the Gamepad always rests in the cradle anyway between sessions.

Carlisle

I ordered one on Play Asia a week before I got my Wii U and today they sent me a letter saying Hong Kong won't allow any lithium batteries through their ports. So the package was returned to them, and I now have the option of paying $15 shipping to get it through FedEx instead of the $0.50 shipping I had before :(

But now that it's available in the EU, I might just hold off. I'm going to be in Munich next month so I should be able to just snag one there. What a headache though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I don't really have time this week to play the battery to the max, but I was playing tonight 2,5 hours of Pikmin with rumble off (I set it to off from the first day I got the Wii U because it's terrible) and brightness to the maximum and the battery it's still "full" according to the indicator on the screen. Yeah, it's not that heavy, for an adult it should be fine.
But I like it more with the smaller battery.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ordered mine from Amazon UK, 1-3 weeks... Sigh

The regular battery runs out easily in an evening gaming session so this is most welcome. I rarely would play over 7h and it's cradled all other times so i probably won't ever finish a battery again.

jts

...hate me...
I'm not sure what I want to get... this larger battery, or simply a spare charger so I can have one plugged to the cradle, and another free for fast direct plugging with no worries whatsoever.

How much for a spare charger?

Oregano

My Wiimote charge set arrived yesterday and my Gameoad battery arrived today. Won't be able to give impressions till tonight but the battery itself has quite a significant weight.

Top Bottom