• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

Neiteio

I remember Mikami saying that maybe they tried too many ideas in the first TEW -- he accepted nearly every idea proposed by staff -- so I imagine this time he's going to heavily focus on one or two styles.

Based on reception, I imagine he'll base TEW2 on the style of chapters 3, 6, 9 and 10.

DOOM 2016 was fucking awesome with Id Tech. Why switch it up when it's running great?

The Evil Within was built on IDTech 5, Doom 2016 was built on IDTech 6. If they want to switch things up, they should move to the newest branch of ID Tech... if possible. IDTech 6 has all sorts of performance improvements... I think it has something to do with it using a much newer version of OpenGL and even has Vulkan support. Or maybe look at VOID, which I guess is also another derivative of ID Tech 5...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Nice. TEW is in my top ten games of this gen so far. It was a little janky but it felt like the first true successor to RE4. I remember picking it up on Halloween and having a fucking ball that night. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Neiteio

I'd rather have someone who directs games rather than tech demos with Hollywood actors.
I don't have much faith in Death Stranding at the moment, either, but MGSV was a fucking amazing videogame with perfect controls, tons of systems and mechanics, and wonderful design. I rank it alongside Super Mario 64 from a "joy simply to move around" standpoint. So Kojima and company are definitely capable of making fun gameplay. :)

I'd rather have someone who directs games rather than tech demos with Hollywood actors.

giphy.gif

parkinho

Nice. TEW is in my top ten games of this gen so far. It was a little janky but it felt like the first true successor to RE4. I remember picking it up on Halloween and having a fucking ball that night. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Yes mate, spot on! The wife loved watching me play The Evil Within (mainly to see me scream like a little girl when Laura appeared!) so this is very positive news in the parkinho household.

Neiteio

Yes mate, spot on! The wife loved watching me play The Evil Within (mainly to see me scream like a little girl when Laura appeared!) so this is very positive news in the parkinho household.
This sounds like hyperbole, but I seriously don't know if I can handle Laura again. The Ch. 10 encounter was insane.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

For all i care e3 can have 0 new announcements and ill walk away satisfied
Kh3 trailer, new collosus, ac origins, ew2, god of war, spider man, days gone and sentinels 13. All i needed

One thing I loved about the original game was the sort of hub you had where you saved, upgraded, etc. Some interesting things happened there, and I would love to see that whole concept expanded upon.

ALSO, I honestly hope the setting is a bit more interesting. The Evil Within has some BEAUTIFUL locations, but the more interesting parts are all almost outside of the asylum I would say. I understand the asylum is important, but to be honest I'd prefer they moved the main setting to elsewhere. Feels like they could do a lot with a more interesting focal location. Some may disagree with me but I actually found the asylum the least interesting location in TEW. I'm not saying there was nothing good about the asylum, just I think it'd be nice to see a radically different and maybe more interesting central location.

TEW1 spoilers:
With Ruvik escaping to the real world it might be hard to have a central hub if the game is still linear since they probably won't have the same "jacked in a psychopath's brain" premise from the first game which allowed them to get away with that. Hopefully the environments are still as awesomely varied as the original though!

Neiteio

TEW1 spoilers:
With Ruvik escaping to the real world it might be hard to have a central hub if the game is still linear since they probably won't have the same "jacked in a psychopath's brain" premise from the first game which allowed them to get away with that. Hopefully the environments are still as awesomely varied as the original though!
Ruvik has the ability to jack people wirelessly now, iirc.

Dusk Golem

mcmmaster

I don't understand why, the first game was mediocre at best.

It was nowhere near on the greatness levels of Vanquish, God Hand and RE4.

Dusk Golem

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Even if it was, I imagine they learned stuff that would make the sequel better optimized.
You can't fix this shitty thing that was broked even before it was buit. Furthermore, there's no point in doing it cuz id Tech 6 is available, it's amazing and it's miles and miles better than id Tech 5.

If it's running on id tech, it'll probably be id tech 6 (the engine DOOM ran on) rather than 5. However, a listing from Tango a couple years ago was for Unreal 4.
Now this is encouraging.

Neiteio

You can't fix this shitty thing that was broked even before it was buit. Furthermore, there's no point in doing it cuz id Tech 6 is available, it's amazing and it's miles and miles better than id Tech 6.
Yeah, DOOM ran beautifully on idTech6. I just wonder if they started development too early to use it. Also, as others noted, it might be on UE4 this time.

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom