• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

DukeBobby

There's a couple of other spots to fight it in. If you stay by the door it is horrible when locked on yeah. Right around the corner, the island with the green titanite shard is the biggest place for the fight I think.

Yeah, I didn't notice that big island until after I beat it.

Oh well, at least it'll be less annoying in NG+.

I wish the Adventurer's Set armor didn't suck so much (or more importantly, can't be upgraded).

200px-Adventurer_Set_male.png

I mean look at that baller shit. The right mix of tacky and badass (not a fan of that helmet though).

Armor stats don't matter to me in PvE as long as I can light roll and don't have 0 poise.
But then I just end up wearing thief outfit the whole game.

And I use the corner for centipede demon. Always worked fine except when it stands in the lava and spams stretchy arm.

DukeBobby

These enemies in Lost Izalith are so easy to cheese. No way am I fighting them in the lava.

EDIT: There's so many of them!!

I wish the Adventurer's Set armor didn't suck so much (or more importantly, can't be upgraded).

200px-Adventurer_Set_male.png

I mean look at that baller shit. The right mix of tacky and badass (not a fan of that helmet though).

The helmet does look kind of odd, but did you know it was modeled after a real helmet?

5LVAKcI.jpg

Nobody fights those things. Nobody fights anything in Lost Izalith, it's such a bad area.

Hey, I've fought the Dragon Butts before!

...and yeah, it was an awful idea. I got it in my mind that I just wanted to kill them all. Got through maybe half of them before I just gave up, because the fights were lame.

What the hell? I've died 7 times in a row to Gwyn now, and can barely get a hit in before he kills me in a hit or two. I didn't even do that bad agains the DLC bosses. I can only seem to parry his first leap attack. Maybe it's because I'm sleep deprived...

What the hell? I've died 7 times in a row to Gwyn now, and can barely get a hit in before he kills me in a hit or two. I didn't even do that bad agains the DLC bosses. I can only seem to parry his first leap attack. Maybe it's because I'm sleep deprived...
Summon Solaire, pelt Gwyn with arrows. Worked for my sl5 run.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope From uses some of their enemy designs from other games they did and implement em to Dark Souls in the future. Kings Field, Otogi and Lost Kingdoms comes to mind.

Heck this look like a covenant worthy character or a magic user enemy.
isamat.gif

Having a bit of trouble with S&O. Trying for Ornstein's soul and he's being a complete asshole. I'm using a +10 Claymore and 2-handing it for the fight. The damage is pretty decent but I can't get in place on Smough without Ornstein spontaneously appearing and fucking me over.

Should I just do Orstein first?

Tawpgun

Did some PvPing. I can win half of matches or so. The lag sometimes is annoying and makes for weird backstabs and hits.

mannerbot

Having a bit of trouble with S&O. Trying for Ornstein's soul and he's being a complete asshole. I'm using a +10 Claymore and 2-handing it for the fight. The damage is pretty decent but I can't get in place on Smough without Ornstein spontaneously appearing and fucking me over.

Should I just do Orstein first?

I think that O first is easier, but you can do S first. Try to use the pillars to separate the two, and don't go crazy with your attacks when you don't know what both of them are doing.

Easy mode is tank armor, Hornet Ring and parry + riposte.

I gave in and bought Dark Souls with all the hype right now. Played for 2 hours. Defeated Taurus boss. Nice to play the game at 35+fps on my laptop. Thank you, based Durante :D

Got invaded near the Undead Burg bonfire, the dude just kept on wanting to punch me, like DMC Royal Guard style. Eventually got the drop on me from the back and took away my whole health bar in one hit! :(

Is it because I'm a Wanderer that I can't kick? I've got the jump attack, sprint jump, and parries down but can't figure out how to do the kick. Or is that replaced with this flip thing?
ibsr90JcticzJH.gif

Made a couple of gifs for the backstab and parries, which are so satisfying. Love seeing their eyes up close.

iblM1tqaTqdonG.gif

ibl7olXaDMiGQw.gif

Vazra

Someone with lore knowledge. What does the fog itself does on Dark Souls? I havent checked all the lore videos so if it has been already discussed my apologies.

I think Solaire implies something about the fog creating time discrepancies . You as chosen of undead can enter and basically go back and forth in time.(might be a matter of minutes, hours, months, years etc) but the enemies cant go into the fog gate as they do not have a fragment of the Dark Soul. They might enter the area at the current time they are so that would explain why they do not enter with you. The boss areas you get locked because as your task as the chosen of the undead you need to slay the monsters and continue proving you are the chosen constantly through those events. It would also explain things of how some characters appear so fast on other areas of the game. There is a theory I have linking the bon fire with the fog but thats another conversation that shall wait.

Another thing would be about the invasions and the fog. As they are manifestations of others who have fragments of the Dark Soul they can see the gates but as it is not their true form and the intentions are against the chosen they cannot enter. The chosen gets locked with them as those unfriendly manifestations needs to be destroyed like in order to make the fog go away which locking you up means the fog gates have a sort of mechanism to see if you did achieve the needed task for it to go away. The summons as they are good manifestations helping the chosen of the undead are allowed to pass the fog wall as the intentions are good.

Also I somewhat managed to make some connections between Lost Kingdoms and Demon's Soul with the fog which would be an interesting thing to bring up. Afterall its not a new theory of connecting multiple From Software games together but being at different times and regions.
I gave in and bought Dark Souls with all the hype right now. Played for 2 hours. Defeated Taurus boss. Nice to play the game at 35+fps on my laptop. Thank you, based Durante :D

Got invaded near the Undead Burg bonfire, the dude just kept on wanting to punch me, like DMC Royal Guard style. Eventually got the drop on me from the back and took away my whole health bar in one hit! :(

Is it because I'm a Wanderer that I can't kick? I've got the jump attack, sprint jump, and parries down but can't figure out how to do the kick. Or is that replaced with this flip thing?
http://i.minus.com/ibsr90JcticzJH.gif[IMG]

Made a couple of gifs for the backstab and parries, which are so satisfying. Love seeing their eyes up close.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iblM1tqaTqdonG.gif[MG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibl7olXaDMiGQw.gif[MG][/QUOTE]
You should be able to kick. Forward plus RB or R1 (depending your preference)at the same time should do it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On some weapons, including the scimitar, the forward + R1 is replaced by this flip. It has its uses in PvE, but just barely, I find the kick generally more useful myself. But scimitars are fun to use so the trade-off isn't so bad.

Vazra

On some weapons, including the scimitar, the forward + R1 is replaced by this flip. It has its uses in PvE, but just barely, I find the kick generally more useful myself. But scimitars are fun to use so the trade-off isn't so bad.
I forgot that little detail.

lyonhardt

So I haven't played this game in nearly 2 years and decided to pick it up again. I was loving the game, and put 30 hours in it, I only stopped because university was starting up, and I didn't pick it up sooner because I spent my free time trying to catch up on new releases etc.

I'm really clueless at the moment and would like some help. I found myself at Duke's Archives, and remembered I was going in the Crystal Cave the last time I played. So I did that and after many tries I beat the boss there, Seath. Now I don't know where to go. Maybe I am supposed to finish Duke's Archives (I barely remember how I got here)? I know there was a pitch black cave I never progressed into, but I remember beating the boss (I think some sort of sorcerer) in the cave just before the dark part - so maybe go back there? Do I need some item before I go back there?

Also have no clue what I should be doing with equipment and stats lol.

I think that O first is easier, but you can do S first. Try to use the pillars to separate the two, and don't go crazy with your attacks when you don't know what both of them are doing.

Got it on the second attempt where I was targeting Ornstein. I managed once to get super Ornstein but I messed up and got hit by the lightning javelin attack. It took a little while to realize but lockon is more of a hindrance in this fight. Did the whole thing without using it once.

Also, I realized that I messed up and used the Firelink shrine girl's soul to reinforce my Estus Flask. New Londo is gonna be a pain in the ass to explore :(

mannerbot

I'm right before O&S and the broadsword +10 isn't really cutting it anymore. Is there a better 1h str-focused option?

Broadsword +10 is fine, assuming you like the moveset. I guess you haven't been putting points into dexterity at all? Try out the Man-serpent Greatsword for a str-only weapon. Not sure what you mean by a 1h weapon as the reason for 2-handing your weapon is to get the 50% str bonus.

Neverfade

Sorry, poor wording on my part. I realize you can 1h behemoths like the zwei -- I just meant something traditionally 1-handed like broad/short/long swords.

And yeah, Dex is a little low, guess i'll work on that.

Vazra

Lol the connection was so god damn obvious between Demon's and Lost Kingdoms

Demon's Souls
The game is set in the kingdom of Boletaria, ruled by the aging King Allant XII(The game's main antagonist). Because of his greed, the king searched for power and prosperity through a dark ritual of channeling the power of souls that brought unprecedented prosperity to Boletaria, until the "Deep Fog" covered the land's outskirts, cutting off the kingdom from the outside world. Neighboring kingdoms sent scouts to investigate but none returned after entering the fog. It was only after Vallarfax of the royal Twin Fangs broke free from the fog that the rest of the world could be told of Boletaria's plight. By channeling souls, King Allant had awakened the Old One, a great demon residing below the Nexus. With the Old One's awakening, a dark fog had swept in that within it unleashed demons who feasted on the souls of mankind, where those left alive without a soul became insane and violent. Without resistance, the fog slowly begins to spread beyond Boletaria.

Lost Kingdoms
Five Kings were each given a kingdom to rule,, entrusted with a runestone, and forbidden by an ancient covenant to ally with each other. Without warning the five kingdoms began to disappear.

It started with the disappearance of a small forest. Soon more of the world the kings knew vanished into a mysterious dark fog. The few brave souls who entered this fog in search of answers were never heard from again.

Before Long, an impenetrable wall of Black Fog shrouded an entire village in darkness, and still the threat grew. Because of their common enemy, the rulers of the five kingdoms were forced to meet. They searched in vain for a way to overcome this evil spreading across the land, for no one knew how to defeat it.

Amid this horror, a young heroine emerges- the Princess of Alanjeh, blessed with the powers of runestones. Only she can drive the evil enshrouded in the black fog

Sorry, poor wording on my part. I realize you can 1h behemoths like the zwei -- I just meant something traditionally 1-handed like broad/short/long swords.

And yeah, Dex is a little low, guess i'll work on that.
Try the Claymore. I've never liked the R2 on the Broadsword, put I think other than that it has the same moveset as the Longsword which is a fine blade.

Only put points into DEX if you need to for min. requirements to wield a weapon, or your weapon actually scales with DEX etc, otherwise keep pumping STR up.

EvaristeG

Banned
So I just started a new character, I want to do an STR/FAITH build. Mainly for PVE, but still want it to be decent at PVP.

Which weapon should I use ? I want a character that can cast miracles like buffs, sunlight spears... but also a good melee fighter, so I'll probably have 40 in endurance.

Ruuppa

So I just started a new character, I want to do an STR/FAITH build. Mainly for PVE, but still want it to be decent at PVP.

Which weapon should I use ? I want a character that can cast miracles like buffs, sunlight spears... but also a good melee fighter, so I'll probably have 40 in endurance.

If you want balance, Crescent Axe isn't bad. If you want Power Overwhelming, take Grant. Grant is a beast when two-handed, and the high Faith requirement gives you access to almost all of the Miracles. But the stat requirements for Grant (50Str/33Str and 30Fth) are pretty restrictive. It needs some minmaxing for a SL100 build, but SL120 shouldn't have problems.

670 damage with just the minimum requirements to wield? Hot damn, baby.

Lol the connection was so god damn obvious between Demon's and Lost Kingdoms

Demon's Souls
The game is set in the kingdom of Boletaria, ruled by the aging King Allant XII(The game's main antagonist). Because of his greed, the king searched for power and prosperity through a dark ritual of channeling the power of souls that brought unprecedented prosperity to Boletaria, until the "Deep Fog" covered the land's outskirts, cutting off the kingdom from the outside world. Neighboring kingdoms sent scouts to investigate but none returned after entering the fog. It was only after Vallarfax of the royal Twin Fangs broke free from the fog that the rest of the world could be told of Boletaria's plight. By channeling souls, King Allant had awakened the Old One, a great demon residing below the Nexus. With the Old One's awakening, a dark fog had swept in that within it unleashed demons who feasted on the souls of mankind, where those left alive without a soul became insane and violent. Without resistance, the fog slowly begins to spread beyond Boletaria.

Lost Kingdoms
Five Kings were each given a kingdom to rule,, entrusted with a runestone, and forbidden by an ancient covenant to ally with each other. Without warning the five kingdoms began to disappear.

It started with the disappearance of a small forest. Soon more of the world the kings knew vanished into a mysterious dark fog. The few brave souls who entered this fog in search of answers were never heard from again.

Before Long, an impenetrable wall of Black Fog shrouded an entire village in darkness, and still the threat grew. Because of their common enemy, the rulers of the five kingdoms were forced to meet. They searched in vain for a way to overcome this evil spreading across the land, for no one knew how to defeat it.

Amid this horror, a young heroine emerges- the Princess of Alanjeh, blessed with the powers of runestones. Only she can drive the evil enshrouded in the black fog

Man I played Lost Kingdoms SO LONG AGO. Was 2 any better? 1 was fun but had a few issues like COMPLETELY screwing you over if you used too many cards.
And yeah the more I find out about From Soft the more I realize they do a lot of these lore parallels. Like New Londo was more or less based on an area from King's Field.

Ruuppa

What if you haven't fought them and examined the painting like a jackass your first time in the city? :(

The Painted World isn't a part of the DLC areas. It's very doable even at first visit(and you *have* to do it if you blunder in there :p), since the boss at the end is optional.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Going in there without blooming moss is a pain, though.

JustinBB7

Am I ready to access the DLC areas? Haven't done Painted World yet and just got the Lord Vessel.

You can, but the bosses there are pretty hard. Unless you are really good at dodging I'd wait till near the end before going there. Specially having your weapons fully upgraded will help because 1 of the bosses has the most hp in the game there I believe.

Ruuppa

Going in there without blooming moss is a pain, though.

Parrying and backstabs will avoid getting you Toxic'd, as well as ranged attacks. With a weapon that has a low recovery time and good range, you can simply roll away from their deathcloud.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Parrying and backstabs will avoid getting you Toxic'd, as well as ranged attacks. With a weapon that has a low recovery time and good range, you can simply roll away from their deathcloud.
Oh wow. That would have been usefull to know last week! :p
I used my hallbert to chop 'em from a distance. Still, very easy to screw it up and get Toxinated.

Arjen

Fire and fire weapons also help against getting toxic.

Vazra

Man I played Lost Kingdoms SO LONG AGO. Was 2 any better? 1 was fun but had a few issues like COMPLETELY screwing you over if you used too many cards.
And yeah the more I find out about From Soft the more I realize they do a lot of these lore parallels. Like New Londo was more or less based on an area from King's Field.
IMO Lost Kingdoms was still easy, the game kinda punished you for poor managing and organization of the cards. I managed to get all cards and got all fairies too IIRC in one run that lasted 8-9 hours.

Lost Kingdoms 2 ditches the random encounters so you can manage your deck better on the game as you can evade monsters without giving away 1 card to escape like LK1 did.(Framerate went from 60fps on LK1 to 30fps on LK2 because of this)

You can now transform into monsters for a limited amount of time and use their abilities to reach new areas/ destroy things the character normally would not be able to do.

Some cards got buffs and some cards got nerfed.

Now to capture monsters you need to buy capture cards which gets pretty expensive later on as the card prices go up. ( You can still find all monster cards without using the capture card if you look around the stages and import cards from LK1 if you beated the game so that's a nice bonus)

The game tries to be more conventional with the story telling and while not terrible I prefer LK1 storytelling better.

Vs Mode continues as fun as always and this time you have more characters to choose from. Still same rules from LK1 are there with the fair play rule if you want to use it and you can still pretty much clone cards like the first game if you had 2 memory cards IIRC.

Overall it improves some things as it also damages some things but the game its still more polished than LK1. Still you can beat the game in 1 sitting like LK1 as it runs about 8-10 hours too.

Prodigal

Banned
So after going through NG+++ I've decided to try a no shield run. Any recommendations? I started with a thief build and it's pretty tough in the beginning but I should be able to manage for the time being. Any particular weapons/gear to go after asap?

Also my shield run is going through the game fresh, no NG+ nonsense.

blackflag

The helmet does look kind of odd, but did you know it was modeled after a real helmet?

5LVAKcI.jpg

Hey, I've fought the Dragon Butts before!

...and yeah, it was an awful idea. I got it in my mind that I just wanted to kill them all. Got through maybe half of them before I just gave up, because the fights were lame.

I killed them all. Not sure why...it was very boring.

Since those Bounding Demons are some of the only enemies that can harm other enemies, it's fun to aggro them from the tower and watch them kill each other.

JustinBB7

Hm, I installed the mouse fix this time to see how it worked. I can't move my camera at all in-game now. The page says other devices might conflict but I don't have any of those devices.. Can't even use mouse to attack.

Edit: Fixed it, the website from the guy that made it only has the old version to download for some reason, downloaded the newest version from somewhere else. Now it works.

EvaristeG

Banned
If you want balance, Crescent Axe isn't bad. If you want Power Overwhelming, take Grant. Grant is a beast when two-handed, and the high Faith requirement gives you access to almost all of the Miracles. But the stat requirements for Grant (50Str/33Str and 30Fth) are pretty restrictive. It needs some minmaxing for a SL100 build, but SL120 shouldn't have problems.

670 damage with just the minimum requirements to wield? Hot damn, baby.

Thanks. I'm also considering MGSG and Zweihander. Although I admit I don't know why Zweihander is being mentioned when it comes to STR/FAITH build. Its scaling is rather weak iirc.

I forgot to mention I would prefer a sword for aesthetic reason, and also because I already have played a lot with Black Knight Great Axe on PS3 so a little bit of change moveset wise would be nice. So maybe the Greatsword of Artorias is a good choice ?

eot

Banned
So after going through NG+++ I've decided to try a no shield run. Any recommendations? I started with a thief build and it's pretty tough in the beginning but I should be able to manage for the time being. Any particular weapons/gear to go after asap?

Also my shield run is going through the game fresh, no NG+ nonsense.

If you get the Zwei at the start it's going to be pretty easy. You can just crush most enemies, or at least stun them. I used the large club but it's pretty much the same, you just murder everything. I imagine doing a no shield dex build is a bit harder, you don't get a massive dmg boost for 2-handing and you can't stun stuff as easily. For a challenge you could do parrying dagger + crit weapon.

Shawn6661

So i lost myself in blighttown and arrived at firelink again. Then i want to redeem my fire keeper soul and bam the girls is gone and it says shes dead ! Plus it says i cant use the bonfire because the firekeeper is dead ! Am i screwed ? Last strange thing i did is i killed an invader in blighttown, is it the cause ?

eot

Banned
Just keep playing and all that will be answered!
I will say though that
there's more than one firekeeper you can upgrade your estus at.

Top Bottom