• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

spiritfox

vg14mv2yatgz.jpg

New OCs for Cipher. What's interesting is that they might be from Zenith, which is the Heroes world, based on their card designs.

Draxal

I had to post this.

Finn SR by Kita.

vvmsJwK.png

I really like Kita's male artwork compared to her female characters (with the exception of Titania of course)

Golnei

I really like Kita's male artwork compared to her female characters (with the exception of Titania of course)

She's fine with older female characters (along with Titania, look at the original PoR/RD art for Nailah, Petrine and Almedha), but with young girls she does have the tendency to default to unappealing 'early 00s anime' faces (the Cipher card of young Mist is objectively horrifying). Of course, considering that's the main mode FE's female cast exists in, it can become something of a problem.

Also, while her Azura isn't bad in terms of general facial proportions, the odd mouth somewhat ruins things.

Draxal

She's fine with older female characters (along with Titania, look at the original PoR/RD art for Nailah, Petrine and Almedha), but with young girls she does have the tendency to default to unappealing 'early 00s anime' faces (the Cipher card of young Mist is objectively horrifying). Of course, considering that's the main mode FE's female cast exists in, it can become something of a problem.

Also, while her Azura isn't bad in terms of general facial proportions, the odd mouth somewhat ruins things.

I didn't like her Chrom either, but it also had the odd mouth thing going on as well.

Lunar15

Kita has odd mouths and really plain faces for women. That said, her shading has this rounded look to it that's really appealing. I also really like the way she draws clothing. It's always really weighty and dynamic.

Rutger

Banned
Kita has odd mouths and really plain faces for women. That said, her shading has this rounded look to it that's really appealing. I also really like the way she draws clothing. It's always really weighty and dynamic.

Yeah, her shading and the way she draws clothing is really good.
Her designs might not always be perfect, but her artstyle is still one of my favorites in the series.

Elise is in FE Warriors;
All is right with the world.

-

There's still a lot to be answered, like:
Are there dragonstone users other than Tiki? I'm sure Corrin's considered a sword user. Feels a bit...odd to have only one.
Will we get a Thief? How about a Knight? There's enemy ones, sure...
Where's Sakura? Azura? Tharja?
When's Shadow Dragon, goddangit? >.>
Shadow Dragon healer rep: Maria because she has an onii-chan? Or Wrys because memes? Elice as the only one who's older than her brother?
What will the amiibos do? What will the Ike / MCorrin / Roy amiibos do?

So much to answer in only 4 weeks buuut for today I'm happy~

Draxal

Elise is in FE Warriors;
All is right with the world.

-

Are there dragonstone users other than Tiki? I'm sure Corrin's considered a sword user. Feels a bit...odd to have only one.
Shadow Dragon healer rep: Maria because she has an onii-chan? Or Wrys because memes? Elice as the only one who's older than her brother?

Sakura is going to be revealed in Famitsu next week. Probably Azura as well.

Shadow Dragon might get up to only three characters tbh.

PK Gaming

Like wolfing down entire chunks of raw sugar.

• No, unless they add Hot Tiki as a skin.
  • Nah. Maybe.
  • In the game for sure.
  • You'll get your Caeda and be happy. Maybe they'll add Minerva and the Pegasus sisters as well.
  • If we get anymore healers i'll absolutely lose it. Elise/Sakura/Lissa is enough.
  • Generic effects probably.

Sakura is going to be revealed in Famitsu next week. Probably Azura as well.

Shadow Dragon might get up to only three characters tbh.

Tiki and Caeda? Kinda sparse. Got a little more hope than that. Expecting at least 5. Awakening has 5 so far (6 counting FRobin, 7 counting the inevitable Tharja). Fates has 10 after Azura and Sakura, so 5 if you split the two into Birthright and Conquest. 5 for Shadow Dragon doesn't seem too big an ask.

KT likes their meme characters.

Expect an oddity like Wrys.

D-Does meme mean Nowi?

• You'll get your Caeda and be happy. Maybe they'll add Minerva and the Pegasus sisters as well.
  • If we get anymore healers i'll absolutely lose it. Elise/Sakura/Lissa is enough.
Heroes has affected us all, hasn't it? >.>

Want Catria at least as a Shadow Dragon rep. Maybe throw in her sisters for her musou as a reference to the Triangle Attack.

Draxal

I posted my roster thoughts in the Elise thread.

Expecting 25 characters (due to the le). It just depends if Alt Characters like fem robin counts for that, i'm hoping they don't.

Draxal

Kellam is already in the game, hes in every screenshot.

Tbh, he would actually make an amazing meme character, especially if he gets an invisible skin.

Maybe I've played too much Heroes, but Mercenaries w/ 7 move in FE12 is so weird. Infantry as a whole actually having movement is throwing me off. lol 6 Move for most of them unpromoted? Wha? The view being restricted to 11x8 tiles doesn't help matters. lol

Velouria seems fine to me. Selkie though I just don't think rocks the outfit well. :(

Maybe I've played too much Heroes, but Mercenaries w/ 7 move in FE12 is so weird. Infantry as a whole actually having movement is throwing me off. lol 6 Move for most of them unpromoted? Wha? The view being restricted to 11x8 tiles doesn't help matters. lol

Velouria seems fine to me. Selkie though I just don't think rocks the outfit well. :(

Don't forget the 10 move paladins/dracoknights!

may be playing the wrong game but you're playing the superior game

Erheller

Turning everyone into dracoknights is fun

I kinda wasted my boots on Marth though because I ended up getting warp pretty soon afterwards

FE12 playthrough update:
Found Normal mode too easy past the prologue where all the enemies are chumps even before factoring 7th Platoon's higher levels, so I decided to replay on Hard even if it meant dealing with same-turn reinforcements. The second-last part of prologue was actually nice in its implementation by encouraging aggression as you can't really tank your way through it far as I can tell, though I still dislike the idea of someone getting sniped by a 10-move Dracoknight on a whim; dislike the idea of getting sniped by an enemy you couldn't have possibly known was there.

What I dislike even more though is Cecil and her crap HP+Def. >:[ Foolishly thinking she could tank one measly barbarian in the last part of the prologue, she managed to get one-shot by him and his Silver Axe. Her Str and Spd's not even that good; doesn't justify her glassiness.

In fairness to her, it's not like there's anyone who won't lose 3/4ths of their health facing him -- he can do far more damage than any other enemy up to and including that point which screams him being unbalanced -- but ugh.

-

In other news, calling that FEW 'leak' fake 'cuz no SD healer. :x

Draxal

so with the leak roster.

I'm comparing them to see if they got SRs in their initial reveal in Cipher.

Chrom - Yes
Lucina - Yes
Cordelia - Yes
Robin - No
Fem Robin- No
Lissa - No
Frederick - No

Fates - Everybody Yes

Shadow Dragon - Everybody Yes

OCS - Can't do

Lyn and Celica - Yes.

Awakening is the oddball for character choices.

so with the leak roster.

I'm comparing them to see if they got SRs in their initial reveal in Cipher.

Chrom - Yes
Lucina - Yes
Cordelia - Yes
Robin - No
Fem Robin- No
Lissa - No
Frederick - No

Fates - Everybody Yes

Shadow Dragon - Everybody Yes

OCS - Can't do

Lyn and Celica - Yes.

Awakening is the oddball for character choices.

Out of all the Awakening characters besides those you already mentioned, who did get an SR on reveal? I'm gonna assume Tharja did, but what about the rest?

First six were Chrom, Lucina, Cordelia, Tharja, Gaius, Owain.

Ah.

Still holding out for Odin/Owain appearing in some form just for the confusion he'd cause, though he'd also probably be great in his own right.

Tharja...I honestly want as DLC. Could have her go on a Warriors-style rampage for being forgotten by Robin. It'll be fun for everyone~

L95

Turns out a couple of semi-functional debug menus are still left in FE8. They look just like the prototype's debug menus, though with the newer UI windows and some features missing. I love this kind of stuff, so cool.

9KR6lnj.png
mb4lrSE.png

Thing I like about FE12:
Infinite-range Rescue!

Thing I don't like about FE12:
Scenarios where I'm forced to Rescue someone that was dumb enough to get surrounded at the start of the map. :x

Other things:
+ No dodge gods (without severe support abuse, at least).
+ Starspehre shards. Surprised there's nothing similar in Fates unless you're counting the 9,999-point battle / visitation rewards that you'll never get.
+ No weapon weight. I like my Pegasi not being weighed down by Iron Lances.
+ Leveling staff users doesn't take centuries
+ The prologue and paralogues have a nice pacing to them.

- Main chapters' pacing can be a bit over the place. Large maps with low enemy counts combined with villages Marth has to visit that are nowhere near the castle (sometimes not even near enemies) can make for some really bad downtimes.
- Game's ugly :x

Turns out a couple of semi-functional debug menus are still left in FE8. They look just like the prototype's debug menus, though with the newer UI windows and some features missing. I love this kind of stuff, so cool.

mb4lrSE.png

Hey, those Fighters aren't supposed to be there. They're not even supposed to be Fighters!

gah, my corrin nendoroid still hasnt arrived from ami ami, ofcourse the first time i order without ems it takes forever

*Quietly changes FE:W order to ship via EMS*

Erheller

Thing I like about FE12:
Infinite-range Rescue!

Scenarios where I'm forced to Rescue someone that was dumb enough to get surrounded at the start of the map. :x

Other things:
+ Starspehre shards. Surprised there's nothing similar in Fates unless you're counting the 9,999-point battle / visitation rewards that you'll never get.

- Main chapters' pacing can be a bit over the place. Large maps with low enemy counts combined with villages Marth has to visit that are nowhere near the castle (sometimes not even near enemies) can make for some really bad downtimes.

Hey, those Fighters aren't supposed to be there. They're not even supposed to be Fighters!

- Kris

Thing I like about FE12:
- You can give Kris a monocle and afro

Rutger

Banned
That's definitely a positive dodgetanking is the easiest road to juggernauting.

Mounted units tend to have a better record at doing that than units built for dodgetanking.
Reducing the different ways classes can be played really doesn't sound like a good thing.

Mounted units tend to have a better record at doing that than units built for dodgetanking.
Reducing the different ways classes can be played really doesn't sound like a good thing.

That's because mounted units could already dodge enough anyway, classes are already actually differentiated well in FE12 because speed caps actually matter for once, making hits on both sides more reliable and reducing RNG is even better.

hey Technoweirdo you should pull Nephenee to give Elise Atk/Spd +2

PK Gaming

I agree, but mitigating low-risk strategies that don't really require thought is definitely a good thing. Dodge-tanking only really worked well in FE6's HM, where you legit had to rely on it in certain chapters.

5ChPCwn.png

Rutger

Banned
That's because mounted units could already dodge enough anyway, classes are already actually differentiated well in FE12 because speed caps actually matter for once, making hits on both sides more reliable and reducing RNG is even better.

Sounds like a problem with the design of many mounted units than one of classes designed for dodgetanking.
I can't say I'm a fan of making hits more reliable all around, that takes away from one of the more interesting aspects of strategies in these games.

I agree, but mitigating low-risk strategies that don't really require thought is definitely a good thing. Dodge-tanking only really worked well in FE6's HM, where you legit had to rely on it in certain chapters.

Dodgetanking could be balanced better in many games, but that's a unit balance problem. I don't think too many units should be able to get away with it, and especially not mounted ones.

With the hit or miss aspect being so important to how FE works, it makes sense for there to be some units that excel at dodging, and it also adds some variety in how maps can be approached. I don't think being openended like that could be a bad thing.

PK Gaming

Dodgetanking could be balanced better in many games, but that's a unit balance problem. I don't think too many units should be able to get away with it, and especially not mounted ones.

That's true. Dodgetanking is handled wonderfully in EOV, so it really should come down to just, balancing units properly. Introducing skills around the concept (ie: something that increases evasion for one turn, but weakens counter-attacks) could be neat.

Rutger

Banned
That's true. Dodgetanking is handled wonderfully in EOV, so it really should come down to just, balancing units properly. Introducing skills around the concept (ie: something that increases evasion for one turn, but weakens counter-attacks) could be neat.

That would be cool. Something that could make a unit great at dodgetanking all around but at the cost of their offense sounds great. Swordmasters tended to be balanced for that in a way with Swords usually having poor ranged options.
I don't want to see the RNG element reduced with accuracy, but skills are a different story. That's something Fates did a great job with, turning skills into something more than the gimmick they were before it. It even had some cool ideas with dodgetanking, making it an option against specific weapons with the breaker skills. The types of skills Fates created(and hopefully the series continues with) could certainly allow some other creative ways for dodgetanking to be a real option but not an overpowered one.

- Kris

Thing I like about FE12:
- You can give Kris a monocle and afro

What's wrong with Kris? D:

That doesn't sound like a positive...

It's gonna be a while before I can get around to playing FE12 though.

Letting my precious Berserkers chop more things will always be a positive (even if they're enemy ones with 100 HIt Devil Axes).

It's not as if some units are made completely unviable through the dodge nerfs. Though a few can have miserable times early on against enemies who randomly have Silver weapons, you generally won't be tanking more than two enemies at a time. Pretty sure I've mostly tanked one at a time, in fact i.e. the game's balanced around its relatively sparse enemy counts.

hey Technoweirdo you should pull Nephenee to give Elise Atk/Spd +2

My "Elise gets everything" policy has wallet-related limits. :(

Sorry if I'm missing a joke or something, the screenshot is just from the prologue, which always has three enemy fighters.... as far as I'm aware, anyway.

I...must be misremembering things. >_____>

At the very least, I'm sure they're supposed to be heading west to Frelia though...

Thing I like about FE12:
Infinite-range Rescue!

Other things:

it actually arrived yesterday, though im not sure why it took so long, japan post didnt update tracking past the first day, so i dont when it made it to canada post

Rutger

Banned
Letting my precious Berserkers chop more things will always be a positive (even if they're enemy ones with 100 HIt Devil Axes).

It's not as if some units are made completely unviable through the dodge nerfs. Though a few can have miserable times early on against enemies who randomly have Silver weapons, you generally won't be tanking more than two enemies at a time. Pretty sure I've mostly tanked one at a time, in fact i.e. the game's balanced around its relatively sparse enemy counts.

Well, obviously I can't talk about FE12's balance. I'll get to it one day.
But I always like to build dodgetanks
(I guess that isn't surprising...)
in games because I think it's an interesting twist on the tank role. And with FE, making that not as effective just sounds like I'm allowed less freedom in how I can approach a map. I don't think it would be a good thing for the series to not allow that to be an option just because some characters were able to do everything and dodgetank.

what is EOV I'm drawing a blank

Top Bottom