• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoopoo

Banned
MrSardonic said:
From kikizo

11609592215.jpg

11612283160.jpg
Don't see it at Kikizo, are those official or fan made? That logo looks hot. Link if real.

Hero

Wow. Interesting.

I think I liked the Revolution name better, but Wii is certainly 'revolutionary.'

I like how most posts are typical ":lol :lol :lol ". Probably the same people who did it when the iPod was revealed and the same people for when the DS was revealed. But look what happened. Everybody knows what those are now. Google, Yahoo, etc. If Nintendo markets it correctly, this will be huge.

Ranger X

WOW i mean, GAF is rushing the fuck to stay alive when the new name of Nintendo next-gen console is revealed. wtf?

GAF AM CRY during E3

empanada

:lol :lol
This thread reminds me of the revmote announcement. Nintendo really has a knack for getting everyone's attention. :D

Its stupid, but I think I like it! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!! :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Why do people keep bringing up Ipod? Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever feeling that Ipod was extraordinarily strange, like I feel about Wii.

Rhindle

Being that GAF is an international community, I thought we should provide localized translations of the name:

English: Nintendo Peepee

French: Nintendo? Yes

German: Nintendo Cow

Feel free to contribute your own.

I gotta admit

Wii Will Change Everything

Is a cool slogan. Too bad NOA/Golin-Harris would never be able to to come up with something like that, what with their six/seven figure yearly salaries and all.

Emotions

After thinking about for a couple of hours, it doesn't bother me that much, we certainly won't be playing the freaking name, Gamecube wasn't the best name either, so i don't see what's the big deal about it.
I like the Logo a lot.
A lot of people's opinions will change at E3, hopefully for good.

Diablos

Congrats Speevy, Sho Nuff, and SuperPac, you are NeoGAF superstars.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529658/20060427/index.jhtml?headlines=true

MTV.com said:
Under the name Revolution, the Nintendo console and its unusual motion-sensitive remote-control-shaped controller generated months of hype. But at NeoGAF.com, a Web site where the hardest of hard-core gamers hang out, the initial reaction to "Wii" tipped to the negative. "I don't get it," wrote a gamer calling himself Speevy. "Months of positive hype, a genuine competitive advantage, and they named the thing Wii? If consumers don't even want to say the name of the product, they're not going to buy it."

MTV.com said:
Another poster named Sho Nuff wrote, "I'm actually laughing out loud thinking of 'wee' jokes. ... There is no way they can release a console with that name in Britain." According to a Nintendo spokesperson, the Wii name will be used worldwide.

MTV.com said:
There has been an occasional positive comment about the name. A NeoGAF poster named SuperPac wrote, "I like it. It's not the name of a game system. It's an iconic name like iPod. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the right choice."

GitarooMan said:
Why do people keep bringing up Ipod? Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember ever feeling that Ipod was extraordinarily strange, like I feel about Wii.

the ipod's success is pretty much where nintendo is getting its idea for attracting a "mass market" that includes non-gamers. Wii sounds about as welcoming as Ipod. whereas something like Nintendo Gamesphere 3000 would shoo them away

Mrbob

GitarooMan said:

Exactly. The same thing happened with the 360 design. It has been argued MS is positioning themselves like Apple and the ipod with its white concave stylish design. This talk has died down, like like the Wii to Ipod comparisons will.

So basically Nintendo is copying MS who copied apple.

Memles

For me, I think that the name is undoubtedly "difficult", but at the same time I think that it's simple. There's nothing complicated about it. Wii = We? Easy. Everything rhymes with something, everything can change one letter and become something dirty...every name has its idiosyncracies. Therefore, I think that Nintendo wants something simple and distinctive.

In the end, Wii will look better on a box than Revolution. In our little message board community, Revolution makes a lot more sense...but I'm not sure its would really translate well into the mainstream community. From my experience, it really wasn't; this game may not be as good on the whole, but from an accessibility standpoint? Despite the humour, I think it wiil be.

Plus? Puns = Awesome.

Ponn

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Say what you want about it, but I'm not sure it's a great thing that NoA has to come out on the day of the announcement and start the spin on the name, i.e. "Look at Google", "Play the system and you'll get it", etc...

And the thing is, it could be possible for them to change it. Look at the PS3 controller, enough bitching will work. The problem is Nintendo fans are just so passive aggressive and will defend anything, no matter how inane to everyone else, that they are going to be stuck with it because all Reggie and the PR people will hear at E3 and talking to Nintendo fans is "Oh no, we totally get your philosphy behind the name and we truly support the name you chose"

To that I say, for once in your lives grow a spine and bitch some, don't take it lying down for crying outloud. You have to live with this system for 5 or more years. Do you seriously want to be walking into Gamestop and asking for Madden only for them to ask you which one and you have to reply the "Wii version"? Get some pride people.

In no way do you spin it does this name work, at all. Joe consumer walks into the store looking at this console, looks at the new type of controller and then sees the name of the console and goes "WTF?" and are you seriously going to start quoting the Nintendo mission statement for the name? "Wii stands for we as in us breaking down the barriers between us gamers and everyone else like you" Tell me what you think happens next? You might as well be trying to spout out some scientology at that point. It's just not a solid name, a possessive name or noun. Its just Wii. iPod has "Pod" in the name to give to solidify it as an object. Google makes sense for what you are doing with it. Wii, is just, Wii and thats even without getting into the little kid bathroom humor jokes that is screams.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, Nintendo. Ugh.

"Hey, did you see that kid's Wii?"

"Check out his Wii."
"Let's go play some Wii."

"The kid in the other dorm whipped out his Wii at a party."

Woakes

Genius!

A million sold just to stop tantric kids screaming "Mom I want a wii now, wii, wii, wii, wii, WII!" in the middle of Game stores everywhere.

Sysgen

Back from lunch and couldn't get to the forums here until I read the headline over at shacknews and realized what must be going on over here.

Just to pile on... Hi, wanna try my Wii Wand.... wakes up in hospital. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe this is a clever bit of marketing, and at the media briefing they will announce they are changing back to Revolution.

And as for Gaybrush Threepio's comment about it growing on you. How? It's always going to sound like wee, Nintendo Wee sounds rubbish, "Are you going to get a Wee?" sounds rubbish. It just sounds rubbish! And the whole pretentious use of wii instead of we on the PR is rubbish. Did they even get NOA/NOE's opinion, hell anyone in the West's option, on it?

I would have preferred Nintendo Piss.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Rhindle said:
German: Nintendo Cow
wtf? wii is not any german word =) Especially not cow - that would be "Kuh".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom