• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Detective

Man, you gotta learn to read.... I say I quoted Destiny because it's somehow like Halo, with added grind and loot, and that would be a better suit for you if that's the thing you're looking for.

You say being creative? Yeah, by adding grind and loot? How creative dude... Like Raids wouldn't work on Halo, it's not a game suited for this (in its actual state). At least not Raids like this thing already exist on other games, you know, with DPS and bosses at the end of the mission.

lol, it's like talking to a kindergarten kid.
Again, who said anything about raids?

All I said is grind and loot, you immediately said Destiny.

Am all for comedy laugh man but Am watching a better show now.

So if your gonna use Destiny again and quote me, just don't.

Juan

lol, it's like talking to a kindergarten kid.
Again, who said anything about raids?

All I said is grind and loot, you immediately said Destiny.

Am all for comedy laugh man but Am watching a better show now.

So if your gonna use Destiny again and quote me, just don't.

Yeah that's really unconstructive... Keep being "creative" buddy.

Trup1aya

Man, you gotta learn to read.... I say I quoted Destiny because it's somehow like Halo, with added grind and loot, and that would be a better suit for you if that's the thing you're looking for.

You say being creative? Yeah, by adding grind and loot? How creative dude... Like Raids wouldn't work on Halo, it's not a game suited for this (in its actual state). At least not Raids like this thing already exist on other games, you know, with DPS and bosses at the end of the mission.

Be creative, for sure, but keep Halo, well, Halo.

I truly don't get this. There's no reason that halo's core gameplay couldn't support grinding and Raids. What's the big difference between a Raid and a difficult co-op mission?

I dont see how finding new, additional, ways to utilize halo's existing sandbox can be accused of not 'keeping halo, halo'

But actually changing the dynamics of the sandbox is ok?

Mind you a Halo 'raid' doesnt have to culminate with a boss with some obnoxious health bar (although warzone has already warmed fans up to that idea), but it could be simply large number of high ranking covenant, scarabs, large vehicle sections etc. Obviously, the experience would have to be properly tailored around Halo's strengths.

Juan

I truly don't get this. There's no reason that halo's core gameplay couldn't support grinding and Raids. What's the big difference between a Raid and a difficult co-op mission?

I didn't say it would not support grinding (even if I think he wouldn't unless you speak about something else than weapons & armors), I say it isn't Halo. I don't play Halo to grind, and actually, I don't want to.

Ofc that's personal, but Halo never had to add things like grinding and loot to be fun and top notch. And, still personal, grinding may be the most boring thing I ever experienced in a video game.

Mind you a Halo 'raid' doesnt have to culminate with a boss with some obnoxious health bar (although warzone has already warmed fans up to that idea), but it could be simply large number of high ranking covenant, scarabs, large vehicle sections etc. Obviously, the experience would have to be properly tailored around Halo's strengths.

That's why I said, and I quote:

...it's not a game suited for this (in its actual state). At least not Raids like this thing already exist on other games, you know, with DPS and bosses at the end of the mission.

The term Raid is, I think we can all agree on this, commonly associated with DPS, bosses with health bar as we can experience them in most of RPG/MMORPG. That's why I said it is not tailored for Halo (unless you think Warzone bosses is a success and fun ofc) in its current state.

If it's not that, then it's not really a "raid". Then it is a new experience tailored for Halo, and that's where innovation lies. And I'm up for this. Call it big coop mission if you want sure, Raid just detonate as something else, again, at least to me.

There is a ton of combat scenario you can come with Halo gameplay.

Again, I will quote DOOM 2016 as a game which understands its strength and builds upon it, adding a ton of things to its base gameplay while staying true to the DOOM experience. Without having to add grind as it is nowadays in most games.

And if you ask me, Spartan Ops may have been the best thing added to Halo, especially the missions in the last chapter from the last episode. This was new, tailored to Halo, cooperative or solo playable, and it wasn't a Raid. It didn't require grind or loot.

belushy

Banned
More sandbox change info from this week's CU.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/golden-clouds

FUEL ROD CANNON
The Fuel Rod Cannon fills the role of an explosive projectile power weapon with a high rate of fire. The projectiles' blast radius, coupled with the high rate of fire, has yielded some problematic results in the heat of battle, so the tuning update aims to address that.

GRENADE LAUNCHER
The Grenade Launcher was an awesome addition to the Halo 5 sandbox when it debuted with the Monitor's Bounty update in December. This weapon fills a unique role – it fires ballistic grenades which detonate with explosive damage after one bounce. As a bonus, the trigger can be held and then released manually to detonate the grenade and add an EMP blast which can stun vehicles for a short time. The tuning update to the Grenade Launcher is aimed at further establishing its role as a mid-tier weapon that's versatile at applying indirect damage through creative use. This includes how fast the grenade travels, how it bounces, etc...

RAIL GUN
The intended role of the Rail Gun is a ”sniper" style of weapon that can be charged up to kill an opponent from mid to long range in a single shot. Currently in Halo 5, the Rail Gun has excelled outside its intended role by being overly effective at close range, and as a snapshot weapon – instead of being a carefully planned, charging Sniper weapon. The tuning adjustments to the Rail Gun are designed to make the weapon require a bit more deliberate, planned usage in battle.

STAY TUNED!
We have nine more sandbox items to dig into and discuss so stay tuned – there's plenty more to come in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, if you have questions or thoughts to share, please join the discussion over in the Waypoint forums.

Trup1aya

I didn't say it would not support grinding (even if I think he wouldn't unless you speak about something else than weapons & armors), I say it isn't Halo. I don't play Halo to grind, and actually, I don't want to.

Ofc that's personal, but Halo never had to add things like grinding and loot to be fun and top notch. And, still personal, grinding may be the most boring thing I ever experienced in a video game.

That's why I said, and I quote:

The term Raid is, I think we can all agree on this, commonly associated with DPS, bosses with health bar as we can experience them in most of RPG/MMORPG. That's why I said it is not tailored for Halo (unless you think Warzone bosses is a success and fun ofc) in its current state.

If it's not that, then it's not really a "raid". Then it is a new experience tailored for Halo, and that's where innovation lies. And I'm up for this. Call it big coop mission if you want sure, Raid just detonate as something else, again, at least to me.

There is a ton of combat scenario you can come with Halo gameplay.

Again, I will quote DOOM 2016 as a game which understands its strength and builds upon it, adding a ton of things to its base gameplay while staying true to the DOOM experience. Without having to add grind as it is nowadays in most games.

And if you ask me, Spartan Ops may have been the best thing added to Halo, especially the missions in the last chapter from the last episode. This was new, tailored to Halo, cooperative or solo playable, and it wasn't a Raid. It didn't require grind or loot.

We need new mode, coap mode.
Spartan program.
Make your own character and grind through various worlds , loot, missions. Friends.

We need new mode, coap mode.
Spartan program.
Make your own character and grind through various worlds , loot, missions. Friends.

This is the comment you responded to. To take this and instantly assume that the person who makes this comment wants systems IDENTICAL to what destiny provides is irrational.

Call it a big coop mission, call it a Raid, call it whatever you want, the concepts of coop missions and rewards aren't new to halo. Neither is the concept of repetition in the interest of progression (grinding). people grind Halo for rank. People grind halo for xp/cr/rp. Playing co-op with friends to build a character and/or his is skinning the same cat.

The only foreign concept suggested here is shared world's instead of levels... which wouldn't inhibit traditional halo gameplay in the slightest.

I'd be stoked to see 343i simply reusing Campaign spaces, plopping players in with modified characteristics, enemies, and objectives.

Would have have loved to play Infinite Rockets, 110% speed, stocked lives, vs. Hunters and max-tier elites on Sunaion; Or shotguns only, no shields, vs. suicide grunts and sword elites on the Sangheilli desert level.

Matchmake it, drop a new 'Operation' weekly. Load it with different rewards. I played Halo 5's Campaign once, so it's unfortunate that so many resources were invested here, yet it provided so little mileage.

Fuck bullet sponges, give me waves of fast action and crucial crazy win opportunities against bosses. All the amazing netcode and AI performance of WZ FF and raid bosses don't need to be crazy high DPS. Destiny raids succeed on challenging a group of mates through action, puzzles and changes each playthrough with loot rewards at the end. Literally no one is asking for or defining a positive raid experience with man did you see the size of his health bar? That RNG jesus was the best man.

Loot and challenge are welcomed, the resources now should alloe developers to move away from bullet sponges.

Make a boss an underground mole that is hard to get crucial hits on. Make a flying drone style boss hard to hit. Replicate the heretic with 20 holograms to kill first. Make a puzzle to get a weapon unlock for boss kill or create a series of steps like Destiny but for the love of gaming ditch the fucking bullet sponges and grinding. It's not what is keeping the players coming back.

Trup1aya

Fuck bullet sponges, give me waves of fast action and crucial crazy win opportunities against bosses. All the amazing netcode and AI performance of WZ FF and raid bosses don't need to be crazy high DPS. Destiny raids succeed on challenging a group of mates through action, puzzles and changes each playthrough with loot rewards at the end. Literally no one is asking for or defining a positive raid experience with man did you see the size of his health bar? That RNG jesus was the best man.

Loot and challenge are welcomed, the resources now should alloe developers to move away from bullet sponges.

Make a boss an underground mole that is hard to get crucial hits on. Make a flying drone style boss hard to hit. Replicate the heretic with 20 holograms to kill first. Make a puzzle to get a weapon unlock for boss kill or create a series of steps like Destiny but for the love of gaming ditch the fucking bullet sponges and grinding. It's not what is keeping the players coming back.

Yeah bullet sponges are Terribad, Halo's combat is historically too good to rely on such a cheap and artificial way to add difficulty. Give me more enemies, give me enemies that use different/better tactics, and give me scenarios that require additional thought and strategy to complete.

Regarding grinding - i feel like that has been a part of Halo for a long time. We started of grinding for xp in H2 to increases our rank. Grinding for armor in h3-reach. Grinding for loadout weapons in 4 (ughhhh). And grinding for Reqs in H5. It appears being rewarded for persistence and progression DOES get people coming back - when executed properly.

I think a shared world in halo would be cool, but it wouldn't be designed around increasing how much damage you can take/give while the enemies increase in hp.

Instead the difficulty wound increase organically and players would unlock armor permutations, equipment, AAs and Reqs to take into battle - increasing things like ammo capacity and powerup duration along the way.

Juan

This is the comment you responded to. To take this and instantly assume that the person who makes this comment wants systems IDENTICAL to what destiny provides is irrational.

How irrational is it to see someone wishing to have grind (through various worlds), loot and mission from a FPS which don't rely relay on that and suggesting he should play Destiny, a game which is a FPS, has grind (though various worlds), loot and mission (and on top of that provide a good social experience) and relay it gameplay loop around this?

Sure, how irrational (I could have quoted Borderland instead, sure, but I don't enjoy it as much as Destiny. And it's not from the Halo creators).

And as said Ozzy Onya A2Z, ditch grinding. If you enjoyed being max CRS level in Halo 4/5 and that's the motivation you need to play a game, well, we both enjoy a very distinct aspect of video games, and again, the conversation doesn't need to go further as we share very distinct tastes regarding this talk, and neither mine or yours is the golden one.

Aye, as long as no one is talking about farming in Halo, keep your imagination going on to provide your dreamed Halo experience.

Trup1aya

How irrational is it to see someone wishing to have grind (through various worlds), loot and mission from a FPS which don't rely relay on that and suggesting he should play Destiny, a game which is a FPS, has grind (though various worlds), loot and mission (and on top of that provide a good social experience) and relay it gameplay loop around this?

Sure, how irrational (I could have quoted Borderland instead, sure, but I don't enjoy it as much as Destiny. And it's not from the Halo creators).

And as said Ozzy Onya A2Z, ditch grinding. If you enjoyed being max CRS level in Halo 4/5 and that's the motivation you need to play a game, well, we both enjoy a very distinct aspect of video games, and again, the conversation doesn't need to go further as we share very distinct tastes regarding this talk, and neither mine or yours is the golden one.

Aye, as long as no one is talking about farming in Halo, keep your imagination going on to provide your dreamed Halo experience.

Because he didn't say ANYTHING about wanting it to employ Destiny's systems. YOU started on about DPS and boss fights with health bars, when he never suggested thats how he'd want missions designed.

Sounds to me like he wants to be rewarded for persistence while playing co-op with friends - concepts that aren't foreign to halo at all. He just wants a mode that packages that differently.

Grinding CSR isn't a different concept from grinding rank in h2-reach. Millions of players loved that. Actually, h4 lacking that at launch was one of the top complaints of i remember correctly.

One great thing about it is that its optional. No golden tastes necessary. If that isn't your cup of tea you'd just not worry about it. I have no clue what my SR is, cause i dont care. I did play to unlock Achilles and all reqs though (even though those were both poorly designed grinds) .... to each his own.

E92 M3

Halo 6 needs to go back to the roots and be classic as fuck. Also, please don't fuck up the aiming, 343. Your shooter is the only one that feels horrible to play.

Detective

Because he didn't say ANYTHING about wanting it to employ Destiny's systems. YOU started on about DPS and boss fights with health bars, when he never suggested thats how he'd want missions designed.

Sounds to me like he wants to be rewarded for persistence while playing co-op with friends - concepts that aren't foreign to halo at all. He just wants a mode that packages that differently.

Grinding CSR isn't a different concept from grinding rank in h2-reach. Millions of players loved that. Actually, h4 lacking that at launch was one of the top complaints of i remember correctly.

One great thing about it is that its optional. No golden tastes necessary. If that isn't your cup of tea you'd just not worry about it. I have no clue what my SR is, cause i dont care. I did play to unlock Achilles and all reqs though (even though those were both poorly designed grinds) .... to each his own.

Who do you even try bro?
You are talking to a person who thinks the word grind is Destiny.

Don't engage with someone who puts words and factions into your statement. DPS, Raids and what not.

All I know is for Destiny hard raids with one character I still had to grind and get friends to strike with me just to play at that level. I was barely making day one hard raids. A 40 year old playing most week nights barely making it. That's too much of a grind, fuck that grind for Halo. Raids for Halo? Hell yes tho.

Juan

I suggested you to play a game, being Destiny or Borderland as mentioned before, which has things you suggested you would love to see in a FPS game like Halo. Nothing more. If you can't be mature enough to take some step back and understand why I suggested you this instead of being a d*** like you are right now, then sure, no point to engage with you in the future.

Keep up to good work buddy.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I could imagine a main line Halo game with a hub world, a la ODST, where the missions are standard SP/co-op jaunts, but the hub itself is shared world.

I could imagine a main line Halo game with a hub world, a la ODST, where the missions are standard SP/co-op jaunts, but the hub itself is shared world.

This has always been my Halo dream! Considering what they accomplished in ODST as a small side project, I would kill to see a main focus version.

JlNX

I think a good way to have some sort of shared world would be to have the whole multiplayer experience be a shared world, with wandering around on the infinity like one of their original concepts. Have the infinity simulate all the different planets for each of the maps, maybe you can walk by windows and look in to see a match being played (obviously you wouldn't see the window in the map.) Have the infinity be the server, have your forge, firefight and custom games be areas on the infinity be it shops or computers. I have always liked the idea of Having physical worlds instead of menus, If instead of clicking multiplayer on the menu then clicking HCS I can load into the infinity and walk over to Spartan training (HCS) then great.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This has always been my Halo dream! Considering what they accomplished in ODST as a small side project, I would kill to see a main focus version.

They sort of hinted that with the base 'mission' in 5, I thought.

Juan

That sure would be cool. The only thing I may be worried about is the in-game continuity, but it would still work anyway, so yeah.

I'm looking forward the CoD WW2 Headquarter, aka mp social space. To be honest, when I first played the Halo 5 Beta and saw the main menu, I thought we would get a social hub/instance with other players in the final game.

Another good example would be Dragon Ball Xenoverse lobby structure. It was really cool, ton of fun meeting people there, and you can go on your own adventures from there or go into multiplayer. I'm not a fan of having to move around a 3D space to select a mode I want to play, but it worked quite well for Xenoverse since you can fly/teleport.

Detective

No. Keep this as far as possible from Halo.

Go play Destiny if that's what you want, make a Titan to look like a Spartan, but don't bring grinding and loot (at least not the way loot is usually implemented in a game) to Halo.

That's your fucking replay to me for saying we need a coap mode/ mission , loot , grind and friends.

I suggested you to play a game, being Destiny or Borderland as mentioned before, which has things you suggested you would love to see in a FPS game like Halo. Nothing more. If you can't be mature enough to take some step back and understand why I suggested you this instead of being a d*** like you are right now, then sure, no point to engage with you in the future.

Keep up to good work buddy.

Not only you do have reading problems, your also a kid who doesn't know how to engage or start a conversation. You really need to work on your reading and social skills man.

I said we need a coap mode with grind, you said go play destiny and make a titan.

Get your head out of your ass and think for a moment.
I can smell your BS miles away.

JlNX

This argument is at least a new one, instead of sprint or something. Lol
Govw8eB.gif

Juan

You keep being disrespectful, you really need to calm down and learn how to self control dude.

I encouraged you to play a game that seems to have everything you are looking for if that's what you wanted. Destiny seemed to be the best thing suited for you. You reacted like the biggest troll I've ever seen.

Trup1aya

All I know is for Destiny hard raids with one character I still had to grind and get friends to strike with me just to play at that level. I was barely making day one hard raids. A 40 year old playing most week nights barely making it. That's too much of a grind, fuck that grind for Halo. Raids for Halo? Hell yes tho.

Yeah i think the word grind has become a dirty word because many developers implement a progression system that feels like a chore.

In many rpg's the grind feels fruitless because progression isn't really dynamic. You gain strength and resilience and so do the enemies you encounter. the end result is no relative movement.

i don't think halo's combat system can shine in that type of environment. If i see an elite, my noob combo should be effective everytime whether im a level 1 of level 151.

So if halo ever were to do something like this, they would have to carefully consider how players build a character and that late game difficulty comes from increased complexity, not hp.

If i did it, players would build their characters by increasing equipment capacity. Before missions players would choose their loadouts - guns, grenades, equipment, armor abilities, powerups, etc. And as they leveled and unlocked loot, they'd be able to carry more and better versions of these things. Alot of the nonsense brought into the franchise between h3 and H5 had no business in pvp, but would be awesome in coop.

Yeah i think the word grind has become a dirty word because many developers implement a progression system that feels like a chore.

In many rpg's the grind feels fruitless because progression isn't really dynamic. You gain strength and resilience and so do the enemies you encounter. the end result is no relative movement.

i don't think halo's combat system can shine in that type of environment. If i see an elite, my noob combo should be effective everytime whether im a level 1 of level 151.

So if halo ever were to do something like this, they would have to carefully consider how players build a character and that late game difficulty comes from increased complexity, not hp.

If i did it, players would build their characters by increasing equipment capacity. Before missions players would choose their loadouts - guns, grenades, equipment, armor abilities, powerups, etc. And as they leveled and unlocked loot, they'd be able to carry more and better versions of these things. Alot of the nonsense brought into the franchise between h3 and H5 had no business in pvp, but would be awesome in coop.

Feels like REQ systems and cards could provide the loot and load out framework while falling within your solid design ideas. Love it.

Trup1aya

Feels like REQ systems and cards could provide the loot and load out framework while falling within your solid design ideas. Love it.

Yup, I feel like the req system basically is loot, but tying it to something purely cooperative would make it more welcoming to a lot of people.

getting a legendary pack after tackling a tough mission with a couple buds would feel better purchasing one after suffering through a bunch of Warzone blowouts.

I think a good way to have some sort of shared world would be to have the whole multiplayer experience be a shared world, with wandering around on the infinity like one of their original concepts. Have the infinity simulate all the different planets for each of the maps, maybe you can walk by windows and look in to see a match being played (obviously you wouldn't see the window in the map.) Have the infinity be the server, have your forge, firefight and custom games be areas on the infinity be it shops or computers. I have always liked the idea of Having physical worlds instead of menus, If instead of clicking multiplayer on the menu then clicking HCS I can load into the infinity and walk over to Spartan training (HCS) then great.

I had a similar ideas and consolidated it in google docs years ago. Basically it was:

• Infinity being a hub world that you travel between planets and star systems.
  • There are multiply factions like the Flood, Covenant, Prometheans , etc
  • Each of the factions control different planets and star systems, and players must retake control over them. The hostile factions might try to retake the areas, so players must defend it.
  • The further the player is in the enemy's factions territory the harder it is like no supply drops, so the player must salvage for ammo. However, there's side objectives like destroying AA, so that a pelican can drop in stuff, however it takes awhile because you are deep in enemy territory.
  • A lot variety of missions like base defense, stealing forerunner tech, assassinations, hacking, etc. Some missions would play like firefight if it makes sense.
  • The levels themselves are open-ended or can be linear.
  • You can call in vehicle drops.
  • It is more RPG-lite. The increase in level is only to give players more gameplay options.

Fuchsdh

If you were going to create a branching narrative option for Halo, IMO the model to use would be Wings of Liberty. Atrocious story that killed the entire StarCraft franchise for me, but an awesome array of choice in mission approaches, and as you got bonuses for completing objectives you could purchase special upgrades or new units. That stuff would fit perfectly with the Infinity-on-the-run scenario we've got going into Halo 6.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

FyreWulff

Went and loaded up theater to see if there was anything i missed in regards to this (and btw theater is fucking buggy as hell), and sure enough, the saved film shows me walking off the map, which I clearly did not do. Fuuuck

Just caught up to this now, but yeah, when you went to back up, the server made you walk a bit longer and the server version of you slid off the map. Then your client got the kill command and you died where you stood.

Amusingly (not in your case) ledges are specifically one of the easier .. edge.. cases where you can cause desyncs somewhat easily.

El Txou

If Frankie had his way, default Halo would be SWAT. Only thing holding him back from throwing this franchise into the Sun is HaloGAF. You best believe that.

This reads gloomy, but it made me laugh, Swat is great but yeah, we don't need that as default. But, you really think they are so clueless? I don't mean that they don't take feedback, tweak etc. I just mean in the core mechanics sense, we as a player base, as Halo fans seem to be divided. Some people want a more classic Halo, reminiscent of Halo 2 and 3,and others really like where Halo 5 is at. Things like TTK and other sandbox refinements they better listen to feedback, but in the core game play aspects I honestly think it will be hard to please everybody.

Still, I agree, and I am glad we have this medium to express ourselves. I hope Frankie reads all this and finds ways to make the best product they can make. But, I wish they don't fall in the trap of trying to please everybody. I still want them to be brave and take risks, in my opinion Video Games need to move forward, take risks to bring us new ways to play. It sounds hard, and it is, but they need to find a way of keeping core Halo separate from the rest of the industry, but fresh in the Halo franchise. Could be a tall order.

Halo 6 needs a better campaign, better story, better moment to moment game play. Level design was great in many aspects, but we need to go back to the epic Master Chief saves the day times. Campaign could definetly benefit from big changes, including going back to its roots. Multiplayer in my opinion needs a more traditional Firefight while keeping the new one, and a revamped Warzone. Arena, Slayer, works great for me. The gunplay, the way the Spartan feels as am extension of you, it just makes for some great encounters. Even starts is amazing, and that was a great way of going back to it's roots, a great example of following good feedback. And, to me, for some a controversial opinion, Spartan abilities is a good way of innovating over established core mechanics.

Just caught up to this now, but yeah, when you went to back up, the server made you walk a bit longer and the server version of you slid off the map. Then your client got the kill command and you died where you stood.

Amusingly (not in your case) ledges are specifically one of the easier .. edge.. cases where you can cause desyncs somewhat easily.

Isn't your location repeatedly being sent to the server? It should correct your location a microsecond after walking off to avoid this happening.
I play on servers located on the other side of the planet and I have never had that happen.

This reads gloomy, but it made me laugh
Initially it was a joke post lol --

Swat is great

-- but you just crossed the line.

Good post though, it's why I'm sure some don't envy 343. Trying to please all fans is difficult, but I think they've done a great job with Forge and Halo's first inclusion [on consoles] of a Customs Browser as post launch support. If they strengthen Halo's feature set, that'll go a long way with pleasing fans. Either way, I'm eagerly anticipating the hype train for Halo 6 and learning more about its direction.

Leyasu

Banned

I dont see how finding new, additional, ways to utilize halo's existing sandbox can be accused of not 'keeping halo, halo'

But actually changing the dynamics of the sandbox is ok?

They could easily make a Destiny clone with blue team. For raids, strikes they could use plenty of things from the halo universe, covenant bases to flood hives etc.

They could easily vary things by using the different species too.

It would work imo, and I would be there day one

E92 M3

They could easily make a Destiny clone with blue team. For raids, strikes they could use plenty of things from the halo universe, covenant bases to flood hives etc.

They could easily vary things by using the different species too.

It would work imo, and I would be there day one

They should first figure out how to fix their aiming mechanism. The basics are very important.

Halo 6 needs to be classic - 343 can't be trusted to keep "innovating."

FyreWulff

Isn't your location repeatedly being sent to the server? It should correct your location a microsecond after walking off to avoid this happening.
I play on servers located on the other side of the planet and I have never had that happen.

Sort of? You can't send position updates every microsecond because the bandwidth would be off the charts, and you'd have to drop most of the information anyway from being out of date. The client uses dead reckoning in every non-lockstep game to do position updates.

The reason you can usually use ledges to desync in most games is because if you slide off the ledge on the server, but don't on your client, both versions of you are in a valid state because the client and server both made separate valid assumptions on your movement. This is the only way to get lots of people in a game to network with each other, and 99% of the time the assumptions sort of average out into a believable simulation that you are all playing at the same time.

In this case, the networking assumed both were right, but the server has authority, and when you passed through the kill barrier on the dedi, your client recieved the "kill the player biped" message and just killed op_ivy instantly without bothering to figure out where exactly ivy died, because that information is less important than the alive state of the player. The server was trying to assume that since ivy was laggy, they wanted to keep moving between the client messages it saw, so ivy moved a little bit longer until the host saw that ivy had indicated they wanted to move into another direction.

This is also why in really laggy games you'd often see people just randomly die because your client is finally seeing the kill-that-biped message. Only the host has the 'authority' to kill a player. This is why you could standby in Halo 2 for example and jump off a map into the death barrier of any MP map and live until you reconnected.

Fun fact: this is the actual reason I've always favored full autos in any online shooter, hence my love of the AR. Because autos are almost always dead reckoned to keep shooting by default until the player client sends a "i stopped shooting" message because of the amount of bullet events they generate, while single-shot weapons tend to be the other way around, where they only shoot when the host sees "plz make me shoot" message. This is why in standby, you'd see people keep shooting their SMG/AR and then go 'clickclickclickclickclick' because the dead reckoning is telling your box to keep firing their gun in your local simulation. I used to tell my teammates in Halo to switch to the SMG when a standbyer was coming into the base and to fire towards the arm spot, and we would sometimes come back out of bluescreen and the bomb was sitting next to the dead body of the host. Networking weapon meta, y'all.

edit: this was also why when you stop firing the AR or SMG in Halo, sometimes it would spend like 1 or 2 more bullets after you stopped firing, because on the host you did fire off a couple more rounds. Bullet refunding is the opposite problem, you fired on the client but the host never saw it so your client gets the update of your ammo count and puts bullets back on the HUD.

tl;dr multiplayer on the internet is basically one giant magic lie that happens in real time and it's fucking amazing it works in the first place. Artifacts like these occur because in this house we obey the laws of physics.

BizzyBum

I just played an HCS game where one of our teammates was berating us the entire game. Kept caling us "dumb bitch 1, dumb bitch 2, and dumb bitch 3." LOL

Sounded like a grown ass man, too. What is with this game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just played an HCS game where one of our teammates was berating us the entire game. Kept caling us "dumb bitch 1, dumb bitch 2, and dumb bitch 3." LOL

Sounded like a grown ass man, too. What is with this game.

You can find people like that in most MP shooters.

Top Bottom