• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Not a great season tbh. Incredibly uneven with no real bits that wowed me. I will probably stick around for another season but they have got to do a lot better.

Still wish one of HBO-Showtime-Netflix had nabbed this.

They found out that God isn't anything like what they've been told their whole lives, though. Even if he does come back, from the look they got into Heaven and how disorganized/crazy it seems to be, the whole basis of their religion looks like a lie.

I suppose it makes sense when you look at it that way. The dude who answered was probably far from what you would expect :p

Just finished the last three episodes. I hadn't seen the first 6 in a long time, so the methane explosion came out of nowhere for me. I appreciate shows that have the guts to eliminate characters that might seem important, and here they eliminate the entire town! I absolutely loved the shot of the church getting destroyed. A+++

The first half of the God scene really threw me for a loop. I thought "he actually did it!" But then thought "this is going too well...there has to be a twist..." And the revelation that God was missing landed perfect for me. It felt very Rogen/Goldberg to me. I come into this with close to zero knowledge of the comic by the way, and I loved how s1 ended up and set up the path of the show.

I better get to see inbred
offspring of Jesus
If they need a reference they should watch the
Easter portion of the Anthology horror film Holidays (haunting)

It was an uneven season, particularly the first half, but the cast is really good, and I'm glad I went back to finish it up. I'm ready for the road trip.

I absolutely loved the show. One episode I didn't like much, but the humor throughout was just wonderful. The scenes where Quincannon attacks the church and the low budget effects during the god segment were the standouts to me.

I want more right now.

Jzero

I'm watching the first episode right now. Why does it look so beautiful? I feel like I'm watching a 4K HDR show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Noah Taylor, Pip Torrens, Julie Ann Emery, More Join Season 2 Cast

Noah Taylor (Game of Thrones, Deep Water) Pip Torrens (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Crown) and Julie Ann Emery (Fargo, Better Call Saul) have signed on as series regulars, and Malcolm Barrett (War On Everyone, Dear White People), Ronald Guttman (Homeland, Mozart in the Jungle) and Justin Prentice (13 Reasons Why, Malibu Country) are set for recurring roles.

The series’ second season returns this summer and follows Jesse, his badass ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga) and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun) as they embark on a road trip to find God, dealing with issues both worldly and other-worldly along the way.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I kind of forgot this show even exists. It just kind of fell off the radar there. Not even sure I'll watch season 2 after that first season butchering so much of the story but maybe the fact its getting to the content actually from the comic series now will hopefully pick things up. They better not fuck up Herr Starr like they dropped the ball on the Saint of Killers or that's it from me.

Breads

Banned
Well Herr Star and Featherstone look pretty obvious. Who will be left as Hoover though...

Either way I'm excited. So many things about the visuals/ budget/ directing/ acting was great... we just need tighter scripts.

HStallion

Well Herr Star and Featherstone look pretty obvious. Who will be left as Hoover though...

Either way I'm excited. So many things about the visuals/ budget/ directing/ acting was great... we just need tighter scripts.

Getting actors that look the part isn't the series biggest issues with its characters, its actually getting the characters right and I felt they dropped the ball big time on several including the Saint of Killers.

I could of wrote and shot the beginning of the comic in literally 10-20 minutes, almost shot for shot with no character assassination.

Preacher was a wonderful lean acid trip, a visual scathing condemnation of religion.

It makes me sad the show never reached the brilliance of the comic book, this is the epitome of missing the mark. The Director's Cut of Watchmen largely made it fine, much like Bladerunner it needed a Director's Cut. This could have been the holy grail of television adaptations, but honestly it should be on netflix or hbo with better writers that understand the comic books better.

I have zero hope that the second season will be much better, I mean for fucks sakes this stuff isn't hard to explain. I'm a writer myself.

They absolutely ruined the
Saint of Killers
after almost kind of getting it.

Like, you fucking idiots. Just stop, you have a universe bible to pull from already, several volumes worth actually.

3 new Preacher banners.
preacher_312_2sheet_tulip_fin2_.jpg

lkZxcis8sUE.jpg

kgraV0UCPlA.jpg

HStallion

I could of wrote and shot the beginning of the comic in literally 10-20 minutes, almost shot for shot with no character assassination.

Preacher was a wonderful lean acid trip, a visual scathing condemnation of religion.

It makes me sad the show never reached the brilliance of the comic book, this is the epitome of missing the mark. The Director's Cut of Watchmen largely made it fine, much like Bladerunner it needed a Director's Cut. This could have been the holy grail of television adaptations, but honestly it should be on netflix or hbo with better writers that understand the comic books better.

I have zero hope that the second season will be much better, I mean for fucks sakes this stuff isn't hard to explain. I'm a writer myself.

They absolutely ruined the
Saint of Killers
after almost kind of getting it.

Like, you fucking idiots. Just stop, you have a universe bible to pull from already, several volumes worth actually.

What's funny is you always hear about how much these creators are in love with the original comic and I have to wonder if they understood anything beyond "fucked up shit happens and some stuff about Heaven"

Top Bottom