• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Nyrad

After the first episode of Important if True i wasn't so sure about it but after listening to the last two episodes i love it. It's hilarious and thoughtful like i came to expect it from you guys. It's also a show that my girlfriend and i can watch together since the topics are so broad and there are videos for every episode.

So after all that praise i guess i'm gonna start supporting you on patreon :)

ElFly

Important if true may get me fired cause listening at work just causes me to start laughing non stop

particularly the bit about the arms race of eagles and drones. jesus christ

thenexus6

Man the first 5 minutes of both shows this week killed me, love it!

Have a super

C6ikRZ4VsAAhZ_R.jpg:large

Guys

TTG

This Zeldacast heals my soul

In many ways, if the reins for Zelda's development was somehow handed over to Idle Thumbs this would be the result. Of course the map would have to be a Far Cry 2 type deal, harder to manage with a 3rd person perspective, but so what and I don't think there would be towers, but yea.

Jintor

is there a patreon tier for chris remo reading things in that mock whiny fan voice from back in the day and/or composing songs

I could really use hyrule asshole

fallout

On a recent episode of the CBC Radio science show Quirks & Quarks, they had a piece on controlling computers using lucid dreaming:

When Remy Mallet, a cognitive neuroscience graduate student at the University of Texas Austin, was an undergrad at the University of Missouri, he was inspired by a science news story out of Brown University. A woman who was paralyzed was able to control a robotic prosthetic limb using her mind. So, using a computer rigged up to respond to brain signals, he went to sleep, started dreaming, took control of that dream and actually completed a computer task from within his dream. He sees this as a potential way to communicate with other people from within dreams.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/don-...e-control-computers-with-our-dreams-1.4008629

Really fascinating stuff.

On a recent episode of the CBC Radio science show Quirks & Quarks, they had a piece on controlling computers using lucid dreaming:

When Remy Mallet, a cognitive neuroscience graduate student at the University of Texas Austin, was an undergrad at the University of Missouri, he was inspired by a science news story out of Brown University. A woman who was paralyzed was able to control a robotic prosthetic limb using her mind. So, using a computer rigged up to respond to brain signals, he went to sleep, started dreaming, took control of that dream and actually completed a computer task from within his dream. He sees this as a potential way to communicate with other people from within dreams.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/don-...e-control-computers-with-our-dreams-1.4008629

Oh wow, that's crazy.

Rufus

Oh, cool. Soon we will be able to answer work emails in our sleep.

I think it's a nice balance with the two shows and recording an Idle Thumbs less frequently only when you have something to discuss. Gives the Thumbs an opportunity to discuss whatever they'd like on new the show without feeling guilty about the amount of game content.

Hopefully a side effect of this is that you don't feel any pressure to play games just so you have something to talk about and can make different choices about what to play and feel more relaxed about it. I know Chris has mentioned that issue in the past, though clearly Jake wasn't too weighed down by it ;)

Havent been a listener for quite a while now, and I think in retrospect that was why I stopped. The game discussion on Idle Thumbs began to sound labored. I had the impression that the guys often times didnt really believe all that strongly in what they were saying, just trying to fill up airspace. They didnt seem to be having much fun talking about games, and in particular it seemed Chris didnt have the same enthusiasm. Like it was Chris Remo doing a Chris Remo impression.

Aaron

Few weeks behind on Important if True. Was just listening to the bit where they talk about Alexa through my Echo Dot... Alexa was not pleased to hear her name and no clear command following. At first she asked for clarification. Then she would just mute the podcast for a few seconds in a AI's concept of a shrug, and let it play on.

PS - I just noticed that every time Nick said Alexa, the Echo didn't react at all. Like he wasn't even there....

rexor0717

Haven't hear the latest Important if True, but the last few Thumbs epsiodes and IIT have been pretty good. IIT still has some ways to go, but its starting to feel like its own thing (while still really familiar).

wrowa

I haven't listened to many gaming podcasts this year and I'm just so confused.

Firste Idle Thumbs I listened to this year: "We're changing the directon of the podcast, moving away from being games-centric." Okay, cool, that's fine by me.

Next Idle Thumbs I listened to: "We've got this new show. Idle Thumbs will continue, but not as regularly." Oh, okay, kinda sad, but I'm excited to listen to the new show.

Next time I take a look at the Idle Thumbs feed I see... a new Idle Thumbs has been released every week and then there's even a bonus episode.

What.

TTG

This Jurassic Park stream is incredible, it's the kind of premium content I'm used to. Can we edit in Remo strumming a guitar in the background for the youtube edition somehow?

EDIT: Steve Gaynor is losing his mind in chat watching NIck bungle this electronic door code.

mcw

Anyone else get one of the postcards? Anyone have any idea what the hell the text on it is about? Maybe I would understand this if I had read "Curtain", or maybe it's part of some weird ARG or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't listened to many gaming podcasts this year and I'm just so confused.

Firste Idle Thumbs I listened to this year: "We're changing the directon of the podcast, moving away from being games-centric." Okay, cool, that's fine by me.

Next Idle Thumbs I listened to: "We've got this new show. Idle Thumbs will continue, but not as regularly." Oh, okay, kinda sad, but I'm excited to listen to the new show.

Next time I take a look at the Idle Thumbs feed I see... a new Idle Thumbs has been released every week and then there's even a bonus episode.

What.
I haven't found the time to listen yet but have noticed this in my feed as well. lol. I'm not put out by it,but it is zany, figured its because right now there is actually some great stuff releasing. I guess for me its all the same thing really.

I've found myself wondering if they've ever talked about Rainbow Six Siege, I've been playing that lately and the design of all the mechanics and systems are fascinating. Its a great game. Total surprise to me. I've always been curious about it because you can bust down walls and thats dope. Now I'm happy to report that it is amazing! There are SOOO many interesting things going down.. lots of mind games and asymmetrical character abilities, something interesting and emergent happens every round. I'm pretty excited about it because I just got it this week, but it still is just a multiplayer shooter. Its dang good though. I don't know why I went on that rant here.

Mafro

Watch some of Nick's Trespasser stream and oh my god that game looks crazy. Simultaneously looks way ahead of its time as well as janky and buggy as hell. The complete lack of a UI and the character saying stuff out loud like how many bullets are left in weapons is so cool.

gabbo

Playing catch up and am midway through ep301. The Mac shareware discussion is why i listen to this cast. Its also the one area where Jake shines. So good.

Boem

New minishow from Alex Ashby and Duncan Fyfe!

https://www.idlethumbs.net/somethingtrue/

Oh shit this is gonna be good. I'm all over this.

I'm also happy that they've got a set number of episodes. Lots of podcast suffer from starting with a promising premise, but they just burn through the good stuff early on and it often limps along after that. Seems like they've thought this one through (while still being able to get to a second set of episodes at some point).

But yeah, weird history is my thing. And as much as I love Idle Thumbs (don't worry, I'll keep listening, love you guys), I love it more than video games and technology. I love the variety in Thumb shows subject matter. Bring it on.

If you guys really want to bring in the listeners, you're probably going to have to do a miniseries of Jake solving a previously unsolved murder from the early 90s at some point. That stuff gets you featured in Time Magazine.

Man, Chris really shoehorned that endorsement in there.

Also, "Vay da man" would definitely be the early 2000s ad slogan for a dvd release of Rogue One.

blamite

Chris's endorsements have been pretty great there pay couple episodes (mainly due to true reactions they've gotten). I'm still not completely sure what a salt pig is for our house your supposed top use it, but I'm glad I now know it exists (and that it's called that!)!

mcw

Did anyone else listen to Important if True this week and feel like a hallucination was in progress while listening to that whole bit about Ben Stiller and Chewbacca

I was listening to the Trespasser discussion thinking it sounds amazing and then Chris said he was bummed because if he'd never seen the actual game and only heard the discussion he'd think the game sounds great.

Should I just hold on to my dreams and not watch any of the videos?

Top Bottom