• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Elios83

It's amazing that Naughty Dog is doing this.
Personally I have already finished the game twice, also at the hardest difficulty setting and I have no problem with the aiming whatsoever. It feels a bit different from Uncharted 2, there's more recoil but for me it's not a problem.
I guess that some people don't like changes.

I find the idea the staff don't know what the difference is bizarre. It reminds me of Bungie with Halo 1 actually. They worked extensive on the 'feel' of that game, and it did change console shooters forever, but one thing it did that Bungie never knew was the sticky aim prioritized headshots. It worked on a distance system, so whichever enemy was nearest would be the one the sticky aim would slow for, but they realized that because the enemy design, the physical heads were further forward than the bodies, the sticky aim inherently favoured headshots.

Something that was so crucial to the feeling of that game was a secret to even the developers for a few years.

The thing is i don't get the lag i'm seeing on those youtube videos , i think my headshot streak was like a 42 on my last playthrough on hard, I guess if the issue doesn't affect everybody equally.

maquiladora said:
Been a while since I played UC2, but I didn't notice anything off about the aiming in UC3.

Can you make a video comparing movement in horizontal and vertical against diagonals?. This could prove something strange happens with some copies, PS3s , TVs or dualshocks.

RedRedSuit said:
If you're not having any issue then why w... I mean can't you j... I mean ND thems... fuck it.

I really liked the summer U3 beta, but then few people on Gaf complained and I'm not enjoying the final version of the multiplayer anymore. I'm not complaining about it because I'm sure that other people are liking it, but this whole thing has been bothering me. Not the issue itself, but the hyperbole around it....

cgcg

It's a little off but it's not too bad. Why can't you guys just copy the MP control and call it "advanced control" or something?

Celsior

Wait don't they have a video of what's wrong with it so this means that they can't reproduce the aiming which means on there copy of the game it is fine, which means that the game is working fine and something else is wrong.

So unless someone with the problem brings there PS3, TV, and cables with them to try out I don't see how this will work.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
roman2003h said:
I really liked the summer U3 beta, but then few people on Gaf complained and I'm not enjoying the final version of the multiplayer anymore. I'm not complaining about it because I'm sure that other people are liking it, but this whole thing has been bothering me. Not the issue itself, but the hyperbole around it....

Are you saying other people's opinions CAUSED you to not be able to enjoy the game and so the reason you are repeatedly posting annoying shit in this thread is to try to correct other people's opinions so they won't contaminate your opinions of the aiming, too?

What is going on here?

If you don't want your opinion soured by other people's hyperbole, DO NOT READ THREAD ABOUT PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE HAVING.

Salmonax

Celsior said:
So unless someone with the problem brings there PS3, TV, and cables with them to try out I don't see how this will work.
I assume AwesomeSauce is going to bring his PS3. It does sound like the issue may be model-specific, which would explain the folks who don't seem to be having an issue, including ND.

Truespeed

It's a trap.

Seriously, this is great of ND, but I just hope the people they talk to can accurately demonstrate and articulate the problem in front of people who live and breath these gaming mechanics on a daily basis. It would have been nice if Ariakan, the original person that brought this up, could have gone.

Celsior said:
Wait don't they have a video of what's wrong with it so this means that they can't reproduce the aiming which means on there copy of the game it is fine, which means that the game is working fine and something else is wrong.

There was a real possibility they would disregard all this and be done with it. The fact that they're asking for this kind of help shows that they're serious about investigating, and possibly fixing, any actual issues, so we need not worry about that possibility.

Given that, I'd say we can rest assured they've got a plan. They are professionals and will ask for everything they need to resolve the problem.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Corto said:
Ok, just hope that this is resolved for the better. Good luck awesomesauce and Naughty Dog. Just in case, awesomesauce bring your own water. And get some sweet swag. Godspeed.

LOL the Uncharted fanboy in me is telling me to bring all 3 Uncharted games to get signed ;) Hope that's cool arne ;p

As for the aiming issues, i feel that what TheExodu5 and another member Sublime012 pointed out about the X, Y axis being treated separately causing the cross shaped dead zone which then causes issues with aiming diagonal to be a culprit to the off aiming. Arne said that the only thing they changed was the sensitivity from UC2 to UC3, I'm guessing the increased sensitivity causes the issue to be more pronounced? I guess we will see.

Even if that isn't the problem, I can feel the problem. I'm very picky when it comes to controls, and although i can't articulate the issue as well as the more knowledgeable on GAF, I know what is good and what is bad when it comes to aiming.

I also just don't suck at games, If it means anything, I'm pretty good and CoD games, was pretty beast in UC2 multiplayer, and I do game on PC with a mouse and keyboard.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Celsior said:

This problem is stemming from one of two things: 1) The controls have been changed, on purpose, and some people really don't like it and some people aren't noticing or 2) the controls haven't been changed intentionally and they are actually broken for some people and not for others.

If AwesomeSauce shows up and plays the game on ND's setup and has no problems at all, then that would be very informative. It would point towards the second explanation rather than the first.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are you saying other people's opinions CAUSED you to not be able to enjoy the game and so the reason you are repeatedly posting annoying shit in this thread is to try to correct other people's opinions so they won't contaminate your opinions of the aiming, too?

What is going on here?

If you don't want your opinion soured by other people's hyperbole, DO NOT READ THREAD ABOUT PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE HAVING.

No. I'm saying that they changed controls after the summer beta because of complains from small but very vocal minority. Also it's just one of many reasons. Other reason is that I don't like hyperbole (people overreacting) and no matter how crazy my comments might seem I think I managed to stay away from it.

kevm3

Naughty Dog actually invites someone to come and get the issue fixed and some people are still complaining? "Well, welll shouldn't they already know the issue?" We should be grateful a dev wants hands on feedback from the community to fix a problem with a game instead of ignoring it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It will work because the problem is universal. Just play some U2 and play some U3 and compare how easily it is to actually aim on people.

I never play with sensitivity all the way up on any game, and I have to on U3 just to make it a bit better.

Salmonax

AwesomeSauce said:
As for the aiming issues, i feel that what TheExodu5 and another member Sublime012 pointed out about the X, Y axis being treated separately causing the cross shaped dead zone which then causes issues with aiming diagonal to be a culprit to the off aiming. Arne said that the only thing they changed was the sensitivity from UC2 to UC3, I'm guessing the increased sensitivity causes the issue to be more pronounced? I guess we will see.

Even if that isn't the problem, I can feel the problem. I'm very picky when it comes to controls, and although i can't articulate the issue as well as the more knowledgeable on GAF, I know what is good and what is bad when it comes to aiming.
I'm sold. Godspeed, AwesomeSauce!

kneePat

AwesomeSauce said:
LOL the Uncharted fanboy in me is telling me to bring all 3 Uncharted games to get signed ;) Hope that's cool arne ;p

I also just don't suck at games, If it means anything, I'm pretty good and CoD games, was pretty beast in UC2 multiplayer, and I do game on PC with a mouse and keyboard.

I feel the initial movement (of the possible 8) of the analog stick is preferred until you kick off the that angle and come within the range of another direction. The problem is this range is very low and creates a deadspot in between the 8 directions. The diagonals seem to suffer the most and it the longer you are moving along the x and y axis the harder it is to kick off of it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
AwesomeSauce said:

The diagonal aiming definitely seems to be a major factor in all this, but I think the overall acceleration curve (if that's the right term) for the cursor speed has been changed for the worse as well. I cranked the sensitivity up and it felt *more* like UC2, but it's still pretty different. For one thing, it's much harder to make fine adjustments, either by using the slowest cursor speed (which seems too slow to me) or flicking the aim stick quickly to move the cursor over just a little bit. I'll think about this more when I play tonight; I hope I'm not exaggerating based on my memories and all the stuff I'm reading here.

roman2003h said:
No. I'm saying that they changed controls after the summer beta because of complains from small but very vocal minority. Also it's just one of many reasons. Other reason is that I don't like hyperbole (people overreacting) and no matter how crazy my comments might seem I think I managed to stay away from it.

If your opinion boils down to "don't force a control change on everyone, but add an option" I agree with you and I'm sure others do too, but you need to just say that if that's what you mean.

kIdMuScLe

wow! why do i have to work tomorrow?!? i would've sooooo gone! =(

i don't have the game either but still... a free visit and make bullshit on the fly would've been a blast lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Live Free or Die said:
wow this has been blow way out of proportion. nothing is wrong with the aiming. :-/

Some people think there is. A lot of people, actually. If you don't want ND to change it, say that you'd prefer any patches to add an option rather than force a change on everyone.

Don't accuse people of making shit up.

zlatko

Banned
Live Free or Die said:
wow this has been blow way out of proportion. nothing is wrong with the aiming. :-/

What rock do you live under? Yeah ND just wants people from GAF to come to their studio for pizza and beer.

Clearly if the developer is aware of the issue and trying to get players feedback to remedy it, then it is real.

I had the same problems mentioned in these threads, and that was before I even hopped on GAF to notice others had them as well. So it isn't some kind of hive mind bull shit, it's there and it's real, but maybe it isn't going on with everyone. It still needs to be looked into and hopefully they find the problem.

Alex

Live Free or Die said:

Except there are videos and examples everywhere. Post counter-examples if you're experiencing otherwise, if you just don't think the extreme deadzones or latency are a problem then I'm just going to immensely disagree. Even as primarily a PC gamer I've never really stopped to complain about dual stick controls but the aiming in this is fucking horrible.

Really though I'll be happy with the MP shooting in the SP because that works fine.

I think the MP is fine too, and rings a lot more true when they gave out their goals to mix combat up some.

Nirolak said:
It's not impossible for this to be a localized issue.

For example, some PS3/TV Combos work fine with BF3, while others do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6MiSnTFgg

The strange is that here X and Y axis moves have no lag. They work fine. In fact when i aim is like if i was aiming with a 4 way d-pad because moves in the other directions are slow and clunky. If is something not happening to everybody I would bet more for a mess of the versions printed in the blu rays. Didn´t happen something like this with another PS3 title?.

Corto

AwesomeSauce said:

Just try to describe in your own words what you feel is off. Don't worry about the explanations of what is causing this. And one thing you must be sure, each and everyone of us wants to murder you at this moment. Keep that in mind as an incentive. Good luck.

jackdoe

I'm assuming that ND is going to try to make some changes to the controls (varying different values) and ask the people who visit "Better or worse?". Which would be great actually as that should speed up any potential fixes.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow, nice work Naughty Dog. Love the community feedback.

My girlfriend requests more villain female skins. She bought Chloe, but isn't going to get anything available until she ranks up, which will be awhile since she's terrible (her words, I swear).

hamchan

Naughty Dog have been one of my favorite developers for 3 generations now and their willingness to listen to the community just further cements that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Violater said:
Strange I don't remember seeing people having this prob in the beta yet it exists in the SP?

The controls are apparently different between MP and SP. I can't elaborate because I've only played SP and one round of MP back whenever the Infamous 2 people were let into the beta.

Weren´t many of the Naughty Dog staff on holidays?. Maybe, someone has had to come back in a rush for this. So, Kudos for them and their effort. The only thing preventing them from having a perfect game and GOTY of the gen is a fucking diagonal.

Biff

I think this would have been solved already if we were thinking like debuggers rather than gamers :/

It's very clear that:
a) some people have the issue
b) some people do not have the issue

It's also very clear that:
a) everyone has one of ~10 different PS3 SKUs
b) many people have many different TVs of different resolutions and different refresh rates

We all should have just posted our setup and if we are having the problem.. Guess it doesn't matter now.

Awesomesauce will go tomorrow, try the game on Naught Dog PS3s and TVs that all the devs claiming there isn't a problem have played the game on. I bet the problem will magically disappear for Awesomesauce tomorrow at ND, only to find when he comes home and loads the game up, it'll be just as screwy as before.

Ra1den

AwesomeSauce said:

Might be helpful to have a checklist of the main points with you when you go, so that your mind doesn't go blank once you get there. You know, stuff like how the multiplayer is fine and this only affects single player, etc...

ChefRamsay said:
I think this would have been solved already if we were thinking like debuggers rather than gamers :/

It's very clear that:
a) some people have the issue
b) some people do not have the issue

It's also very clear that:
a) everyone has one of ~10 different PS3 SKUs
b) many people have many different TVs of different resolutions and different refresh rates

We all should have just posted our setup and if we are having the problem.. Guess it doesn't matter now.

Awesomesauce will go tomorrow, try the game on Naught Dog PS3s and TVs that all the devs claiming there isn't a problem have played the game on. I bet the problem will magically disappear for Awesomesauce tomorrow at ND, only to find when he comes home and loads the game up, it'll be just as screwy as before.

Thats why people are actually asking Awesomesauce to bring his PS3 somehow.

I honestly think he should

baekshi

Banned
It threw me off when it didn't say we'd lose money when I went onto legacy. It did say we lose our progress, but I never thought I did lose my money also. Why take away characters also? And money reset from leaderboard? you guys could have found better way to get it right...

oh well.. not that i care anymore.. its all gone and done. :(

Truespeed

zlatko said:
Clearly if the developer is aware of the issue and trying to get players feedback to remedy it, then it is real.

ND is trying to understand the alleged issue because they cannot replicate it which is why they're asking for a demonstration. There's been no admission of a problem by ND nor should there be if they can't even replicate it. Once the demonstration is over we'll know whether it is indeed real.

Zabka

ChefRamsay said:
Did Uncharted 2 default to 720p even if you have 1080p set on your console? I know UC3 does but I loaned someone my copy of UC2 so I can't check.

Top Bottom