• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since the Famitsu review thread contains most of the SS chat and making an import OT a month before the Western release is kind of a waste of time, I've decided to make this thread.

Let this be a place to share our impressions from the Japanese version of the game and answer the questions of all those who have yet to play it.
Feel free to post stream links, screenshots and all the other fun stuff, so we can spread the SS love.

As for my personal impressions after about 30 minutes with the full version (and 10 hours of the demo), I'm kind of disappointed that they haven't changed the quality of the floor textures, which still look terrible.
Other than that, I'm having a blast, with tons of new magics, 2 new bosses (so far) and new gimmicks, like the blank pages, which look really creepy inside.

Lock if not appropriate.

The Wyvern is creepy as fuck.

Gonna quote myself from the other thread:

Man, it's so cool how your choice to sacrifice or save enemies changes the way that the story flows.

Early spoilers:
I'd been running some Avalon quests, and whenever possible I've been saving my enemies. Apparently the mages at Avalon really didn't like that, so they sent an assassin to kill me and my pals. I ended up sacrificing him, which opened up a new path of quests.

This is just the side stuff too. Really neat.

And because we can never have enough weird ass fork monsters:

BEwNSGaCIAA5URo.jpg:large

Picking it up in a few hours if I can find a copy in Akihabara. Will post some thoughts tonight (tokyo time).

Edit: BTW, these will be impressions from someone that speaks no Japanese and using the translation guides. Hopefully this will be helpful for those that are considering importing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As for the floor textures, my attitude was the same as in the demo - "yuck" until the characters appear and completely forgetting that the problem exists once I start moving.

As for the floor textures, my attitude was the same as in the demo - "yuck" until the characters appear and completely forgetting that the problem exists once I start moving.

Unless the big end game reveal is that Soul Sacrifice is actually a game within a game, which is why the floor textures are so weird!

IT'S META.

JoeFenix

Is there any frame tearing in the final game?

Alot of youtube videos seem to have some tearing but it's hard to tell if it's just the video or if it's actually in the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there any frame tearing in the final game?

Alot of youtube videos seem to have some tearing but it's hard to tell if it's just the video or if it's actually in the game.
I personally haven't noticed any. Moreover, I feel like the game is much smoother than the demo, both the book parts and the actual quests.

Margalis

Banned
Pikmin 3, Soul Sacrifice, Monster Hunter 4...how many more games are going to be rendered completely unplayable by the tyranny of bad floor textures?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I didn't notice that the textures were that bad in the demo. Guys, you are overreacting a bit.
I've mentioned that in the op mostly because a lot of people have been complaining about it before.
It's nowhere near a game breaker for me though.

JoeFenix

I personally haven't noticed any. Moreover, I feel like the game is much smoother than the demo, both the book parts and the actual quests.

Sounds great, thanks!

Do you have an eye for that kind of stuff? Do you generally notice tearing in games?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yes, I'm a person bothered by screen tearing and I often sacrifice the fps for vsync.

As for the plot, it was surprisingly good in the prologue (demo) and from what I've seen so far, there's no drop in quality. The story is grim, well written and the book form presentation is top notch.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEwNSGaCIAA5URo.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought you had a typo and meant "weird as fuck", but no, you really mean 'weird ass fork".

Jonnyram

I foolishly deleted the demo version before downloading the retail version, so I lost my demo save, and am starting from scratch again. That said, I can play a little better than the first time through, and not running into any major issues. Just beat the Harpy without dying for a start, whereas in the demo version I ended up sacrificing myself when it started going crazy. Or possibly they've made the training chapter a little easier than the demo version? Hard to say.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How's the online?

How easy is to set up for friends and randoms?

I are people using voice? Is the voice via the party app?
Both are really easy and fast. I played quite a lot with both friends and randoms in the demo (Europe <-> Asia connections) and haven't really encountered noticeable lag or anything.

Twentytwo used the Party chat app to talk and it wasn't half bad as well.

Question to people who played the demo and the full version - am I going crazy, or do you actually get less tears now while recovering the forbidden art costs more? If my memory serves me well, the salamander recovery was 50 tears in the demo and the first time I tried in in the full version, all my 100 tears were gone.
I've broken the seal way to many times in the demo for the best rank, so that's why it's expensive, but THIS much?

Both are really easy and fast. I played quite a lot with both friends and randoms in the demo (Europe <-> Asia connections) and haven't really encountered noticeable lag or anything.

Twentytwo used the Party chat app to talk and it wasn't half bad as well.

Question to people who played the demo and the full version - am I going crazy, or do you actually get less tears now while recovering the forbidden art costs more? If my memory serves me well, the salamander recovery was 50 tears in the demo and the first time I tried in in the full version, all my 100 tears were gone.
I've broken the seal way to many times in the demo for the best rank, so that's why it's expensive, but THIS much?

This is correct. It costs way more to recover forbidden arts now. Much more punishing, especially since you use them for other things.

cyborg009

Banned

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEwNSGaCIAA5URo.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh that was your picture from twitter?

Also I heard [SPOILER]You can fight Merlin at any moment?[/SPOILER]

Jonnyram

Keiician, RyougaSaotome and myself all live in Japan, so that's why we're playing it now.
There may be some others like us too!

VXLbeast

Admittedly that aren't very good at all, but still it's not that big a deal.

Gonna be read %100 of this thread. Thanks for any and all information my Japan-residing comrades.

VXLbeast

That's mostly a Japanese thing, right? From what I have heard, people don't really like voice chat there.

I don't blame them.

Qvoth

anybody knows yet if i buy the english version can i connect with the japanese players or something? connection wise i should be getting better speed with the japanese since i live in south east asia

Man, suddenly I'm getting my ass kicked whenever I try to solo something without my AI teammates.

Bringing the right magic into battle is SO important.

EDIT: Fixed cause I'm a dummy.

Have not played the game, or even the demo, myself, I can say that for most Vita games the textures aren't really the problem. The problem is a lack of anisotropic filtering. I have no idea why so many Vita games suffer from it, but it essentially makes all floor textures look like shit unless looking straight down.

It's really weird because even PS2 and Xbox had anisotropic filtering in most titles.

Is anyone familiar enough with the Vita's GPU to elaborate as to why this happens so often?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, I was able to get to and beat the
Elf Queen
during my lunch break at work. That was one hectic fight. Her ranged attacks were a whole another story compared to the previous bosses. I'm afraid to think what will come next.
Also, the story does hold up so far, really impressed by that.

Cha

Just one....
I can stay mad you mad you toto

Sucks they didn't implement voice chat into game without party.

Yeah, that would have been nice. At least there still is a way to chat with friends while playing.

Not really imprtant but, I haven't seen any videos of anyone messing around with Rebrom, or tapping the screen to squish cockroaches as yet. Hope those little extra touches are still there :)

Top Bottom