• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

Cipherr

LOL what? <removed> the gamespot forums <removed> fanboys are some of the worst.

Fixed. They actually have a board for system wars.... A fucking entire message board DEDICATED to that shit.... And its exactly what you would expect. Exactly what you would expect....

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm really enjoying Skyward Sword, and I just did the pre-dungeon 4 stuff. I guess the rest of the game is going to blow my socks off. :eek:

My only complaint is that Xenoblade is nowhere to be seen. Unless I'm blind. But seriously, that game was fucking excellent.

Also, their Minecraft review text was really well put - sums up exactly what has made the game such a phenomenon.

Really? So what EA does is worse than flatout lying to a group of their consumers like Bethesda? At least EA is upfront about their bullshit.

EA flat-out lied a lot this year too. Skyrim PS3 is indefensible, but it's one sizeable incident, compared to a cavalcade of ignorance from EA.

C'mon son. Twenty fifth anniversary of the series, the game references other games in the series a lot.

I didn't notice it much. If anything, I noticed its tendency to deceive players using their pre-conceptions of how puzzles and fights should play out.

And what did Ubisoft put out?

It seems like Edge kept all of their categories "samey" to an extent.

Didn't Ubisoft put out Child of Eden?

It just feels like Edge didn't put a tonne of thought into the the top three representatives of each category.

Oh I agree. Ubisoft shouldn't be there. Actually, it's been a generally poor year for publishers...

If I'm to be absolutely rational about all this it's this...

I don't have time for 40+ hour console games. So I hate padding. Especially when they're done in a pretty "fuck you" kind of way.
But then, the game happens to be progressive and incredibly conservative at the same time.
I will ignore the controls since they're incredibly polarising anyway. (for reference they pissed me off far too often.. Edge loved them, fair enough).

To put it short, I would rather play a game that is superb for 10 hours straight than a game that has 10 hours of brilliance mixed with what I consider crap for another 10.

so that's not really the game's issue isn't it? You want a tighter experience, you don't play Zelda because everyone knows it will have fetch quests, padding, fusions, cubes, hearts, bottles, and such crap 99% of the time. I personally think most of the filler is well done and not THAT annoying in SS, not enough to detract from the excellence

Sec0nd

I am usually not one to complain about some GOTY list but damn... Dark Souls best online? I've NEVER been able to invade someone and had a lot of trouble summoning people into my game.

If I'm to be absolutely rational about all this it's this...

I don't have time for 40+ hour console games. So I hate padding. Especially when they're done in a pretty "fuck you" kind of way.
But then, the game happens to be progressive and incredibly conservative at the same time.
I will ignore the controls since they're incredibly polarising anyway. (for reference they pissed me off far too often.. Edge loved them, fair enough).

To put it short, I would rather play a game that is superb for 10 hours straight than a game that has 10 hours of brilliance mixed with what I consider crap for another 10.

Amen.

Zelda needs to cut the fat badly. I could've put up with the controls if I was doing interesting stuff, not fetch quest and revisiting areas constantly.

so that's not really the game's issue isn't it? You want a tighter experience, you don't play Zelda because everyone knows it will have fecth quests, padding, fusions, cubes, hearts, bottles, and such crap 99% of the time. I personally think most of the filler is well done and not THAT annoying in SS, not enough to detract from the excellence

I only speak as someone who has played and thoroughly enjoyed all the previous zeldas before Twilight Princess.
I mean Ocarina of time and LTTP are some of my favourite games ever.
Again no point getting into this discussion since it's just a clash of opinions, but meh.
All I'm saying is that if this is the direction Zelda will be heading then I'm done with it. Which is a shame.

jts

...hate me...
Apple, Zelda and Mario praise?

okwiththis.png

Never change, Edge <3

Out of idle curiosity, what game do you think deserves it? I assume you think Skyrim is the end-all, be-all of RPG gaming?

What game deserves what? Game of the year 2011?

Or...my top 25 games that are the best I have played? Or what?

No...no I don't think Skyrim is the end-all be-all. I think it's pretty enjoyable but I also think that lack of innovation around the combat in the game as well as the botched version on the PS3 should exclude it from winning game of the year although I think it should place top ten maybe?

I only speak as someone who has played and thoroughly enjoyed all the previous zeldas before Twilight Princess.
I mean Ocarina of time and LTTP are some of my favourite games ever.
Again no point getting into this discussion since it's just a clash of opinions, but meh.
All I'm saying is that if this is the direction Zelda will be heading then I'm done with it. Which is a shame.

it's understandable, due to time constraint and personal taste you just had enough of the filler. But Zelda will keep featuring this stuff, it just cannot have the fast pacing, cube-sized levels seen Galaxy

Should check out the spoiler topic, users have compiled a list of series references.

Regardless, I was taken back at how lacking it was with blatant callbacks. It's certainly no Twilight Princess. Nostalgia wouldn't have factored into EDGE's decision.

JonCha

Agreed largely with their picks, though I don't thin Dark Souls is a mainstream game. Requires a certain type of player, for sure.

There are some statements made here that are completely without a moderate level of reason.

Some are hyperbolic and you can tell that the writer was simply venting or exaggerating for the sake of being able to do so. (emboldened by the anonymity afforded by the internet...etc) Others though are quite genuine and seemingly they genuinely think "statement X" is accurate based solely upon the fact that it's their opinion and opinions can't ever be wrong...right? Because it's their opinion.

Some opinions can be "wrong".

Nah. Just yours man. Twenty-five years of gaming and Skyward Sword is one of the best games you have ever played and it inspires you to develop games.

Not sure if I said this before...you should probably play more games.
I have been reading this thread, and this is the third time I have read this exact same sentence, if you were in front of my face, I would literally throw up in your face due to how disgustingly this attitude of yours felt.

Just get over it, you are a damn idiot if you think he factually doesn't deserve the right of thinking a 90+ universally rated game to be one of the best games he have ever played.

edit: Also, at least bring a single fact that supports your idea instead of pushing forward your trollish sentences.

zoukka

These are their opinions. If you can't take it, then go read your favourite exclusive jizzfest and be done with it.

Einbroch

Banned
Is this a joke? Dark Souls online hardly even worked for months. By the time the patched hit the community already seemed dead.

This. Online was, and still is, so fucked. It's ridiculous to call it the best online experience. Just give it to an MMO. Don't care which one. They all have better online experiences than Dark Souls.

sixghost

I'm glad they included Dark Souls in there 3 finalists for GOTY, but best online experience? The thing hardly fucking worked for months.

sixghost said:
I'm glad they included Dark Souls in there 3 finalists for GOTY, but best online experience? The thing hardly fucking worked for months.

Is this a joke? Dark Souls online hardly even worked for months. By the time the patched hit the community already seemed dead.

lol, seems online really had some serious lasting issues:

what went wrong with it? was the problem wide spead, a bug, or it had conceptual problems?

---
I really loathed when I played Skyrim on the PC soon after it came out; the controls sucked and the mouse pointing was just useless, it was shameful for a game which had so much root in PC. I voted for it as the failure of the year. However, ask me in a few months after patching and modding is done, and I will most probably talk about is a 'holy grail' for gaming lol

as do i, but Zelda titles are the only 30+ hour games that seem able to hold my attention. loved Fallout 3, but couldn't play it for the 40 or 50 hours i played Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skywards Sword. you can't even pin it down to nostalgia because Wind Waker was the first Zelda game i played.

i think everyone loves the dungeons, and the reaction to the rest of it is mixed, but that doesn't preclude some of us from enjoying 'the rest of it' as much.

sure, that one bit felt a tad like padding (see what i did there?) but i thought there was a good variety of content between dungeons this time, and the tadtone section look me all of ten minutes. sure, it sticks out as 'padding' but we're talking ten minutes of a game i spent more than fourty hours playing.

not sure if it's my game of the year, but it's certainly a game i'm considering for it.

ASIS

as do i, but Zelda titles are the only 30+ hour games that seem able to hold my attention. loved Fallout 3, but couldn't play it for the 40 or 50 hours i played Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skywards Sword. you can't even pin it down to nostalgia because Wind Waker was the first Zelda game i played.

i think everyone loves the dungeons, and the reaction to the rest of it is mixed, but that doesn't preclude some of us from enjoying 'the rest of it' as much.

sure, that one bit felt a tad like padding (see what i did there?) but i thought there was a good variety of content between dungeons this time, and the tadtone section look me all of ten minutes. sure, it sticks out as 'padding' but we're talking ten minutes of a game i spent more than fourty hours playing.

not sure if it's my game of the year, but it's certainly a game i'm considering for it.

I still don't understand how that section could be considered padding.

You didn't like it? Ok, but it was something you never did before in the game. It was in a different environment and all the rules have changed... How is this padding?

Dark Souls online worked pretty well for me when I got it. Most of the freezing issue were fixed after the initial patch and that is before I got my copy.
Probably worked well for me cause I got dem ports opened.

LQX

I loved Skyward Sword but GOTY over Skrim in the same category? Come on. That's ridiculous.

Good for Zelda!

EDGE is probably the only magazine (beyond Nintendo ones) that will reward a sub-HD game built over motion controls.

I wouldn't mind seeing there Xenoblade (since EDGE is European) or Portal 2. Even Deus Ex. Or, of course, Skyrim. But I'm happy with the choice.

Bento

Jetpack Joyride nominated in Best Portable Game category but not the Tactics Ogre remake, Radiant Historia or Ghost Trick? Surprised and yet not, portable gaming is to Edge what Hip Hop and Metal are to Pitchfork :p

mclem

Just soz ya know...

Mainstream Game of the Year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Played
Dark Souls - Played

Best Online Experience
Portal 2 - Played

Best Audio Design
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

Did you have mute on for all of them?

I loved Skyward Sword but worthy of more praise than Skrim? Come on.
Based on the number of bugs in both I say they went with the right decision
Still stuck on the 3 rings door in "Tending the flames" bug, 360 version, and I'm not touching the game until this bug is fixed

I still don't understand how that section could be considered padding.

You didn't like it? Ok, but it was something you never did before in the game. It was in a different environment and all the rules have changed... How is this padding?

Purely because of how much stuff you have to collect I think. Its just a fetch quest diversion that's less interesting than the trials by far. those were exciting and tense. The tadtones just felt like busy work.

ASIS

Purely because of how much stuff you have to collect I think. Its just a fetch quest diversion that's less much interesting than the trials. those were exciting and tense. The tadtones just felt like busy work.

I don't know I loved it. It was an excellent change of pace IMO and it just felt relaxing. To each his own I guess.

Top Bottom