• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

Akiraptor

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but if you live in Texas or western Louisiana it might be a good idea to beat the rush to pick up hurricane supplies. There are no guarantees with the tropics, but currently the weather models are bringing the remnants of Tropical Storm Harvey into the western gulf, strengthening him significantly, and then having him linger over Texas and western Louisiana for long enough to lead to severe flooding.

There isn't any need to panic, but if you live in the region it would be wise to track this system in the coming days.

VDINBMH.png

cr0w

Old Member
Seabrook here. Pretty well stocked, but I'm gonna make sure I have sandbags to line the outside walls of my apartment just in case. We have one area in particular that the water likes to pool in.

Seabrook here. Pretty well stocked, but I'm gonna make sure I have sandbags to line the outside walls of my apartment just in case. We have one area in particular that the water likes to pool in.

Whoa, I'm in Seabrook right now. Small freaking world!

We should totes buy water together sometime~

Jeels

When's it supposed to make landfall? (Sorry if it says it on the map, I'm not sure what the different numbers represent).

Leunam

I've got some supplies but I might make a stop at a grocery store tomorrow night. Sucks for my sister, we're hoping to all go out to dinner some time this weekend for her birthday.

cr0w

Old Member
Whoa, I'm in Seabrook right now. Small freaking world!

We should totes buy water together sometime~

Haha. I work right by the Hooters. Live up off NASA 1 close to the bypass. I always get a little twitchy when it rains because we moved in on Halloween 2015 in the middle of a flood. Hoping it doesn't hit us too bad, the models and predictions so far are all over the place.

Haha. I work right by the Hooters. Live up off NASA 1 close to the bypass. I always get a little twitchy when it rains because we moved in on Halloween 2015 in the middle of a flood. Hoping it doesn't hit us too bad, the models and predictions so far are all over the place.

I work across the street from the Hooters near the O'Reilly's. We got bad damage during Ike... no repeats please.

I'm in Spring but northern Houston is known for getting it's fair share of storms and tornadoes after a nearby hurricane.

I'm more concerned about missing work due to flooding or storms. I know certain companies will let you skip a payment due to emergencies like a hurricane, but last time I tried that it was really difficult. (Toyota financial and Sallie Mae specifically)

I work across the street from the Hooters near the O'Reilly's. We got bad damage during Ike... no repeats please.

You lovebirds should meet up at Hooters.

cr0w

Old Member
Hopefully the 73rd iteration of that two story hookah lounge / smoke shop / Mediterranean food restaurant pans out this time. It couldn't possibly fail again.

That building is cursed, I'm convinced. That one and what used to be Bailey's or something are never going to succeed.

How anyone that lives in a hurricane/tornado prone area doesn't have a weeks supply of food stashed away is beyond me. It's pretty common sense, even if you just buy a few bags of super cheap pasta and dried beans.

oneHeero

San Antonio here, wdgaf about these tropical storms or hurricanes! Bring it baby
Flood of 2003(?) was horrifying

Kthulhu

How anyone that lives in a hurricane/tornado prone area doesn't have a weeks supply of food stashed away is beyond me. It's pretty common sense, even if you just buy a few bags of super cheap pasta and dried beans.

Houston usually doesn't get hit that bad. Plus hurricane season is only a few months out of the year.

Pizza

Yooooo I start student teaching a day before Sonic Mania drops. Hopefully if we're rained in my power stays on long enough to play it 👌👌

cr0w

Old Member
Awh shucks~ or somewhere more dignified like Neptunes. If we shave our heads we get discounts on Mondays.

Hahaha, my man! That's too funny. Very small world. I bet we've stood in the same line for lunch.

We most likely have. If you see a dude with a beard and a Cubs hat, introduce yourself!

If we don't float away this weekend..

Arcia

Banned
Looks like projections are now showing it curve more towards Houston: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-gulf-of-mexico-forecast

Shit.

Worse yet, it looks like the high pressure is going to slow down and stall the storm over land, so its going to be dumping tons of rain for days. Flooding might get bad!

My family is going to pick up some last minute supplies. Kicking myself that we didn't get our generator tuned up and cleaned so it probably won't work. Last time I had to use it was the aftermath of Hurricane Ike when we lost power for weeks.

Its so hot too. If my house loses power I think I might actually die from the heat...

Top Bottom