• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Memories of High School?

Sephzilla

Making friends is my favorite memory of high school, that's about it.

I feel like my senior year of high school was mostly a waste because a lot of senior level required classes were full of stupid needless information instead of teaching practical shit that can actually benefit you in life. Hey, instead of teaching me the hidden message behind this poem which the teacher clearly pulled out of her own ass how about you teach me about mortgages and how loans work please?

Pretty much hated high school. I was never happy in High school. I thought I was just emo and then I went to college and was happy, and I've been happy since, and I realized High school was the problem, not me.

My favorite memories of life when I was in high school were usually things not related to high school, but things outside of school like my job. First time I ever really hung out and had a beer at a bar was during the Patriots snow bowl game against Oakland, I worked at a restaurant, it was a brutal snowstorm out and the place was empty, so all the coworkers were hanging around watching the game, and my manager poured us all beers thanking us for coming in despite not making any money, even though I was like 17. I used to have a beer at parties or w/e, but never at a bar with other friends/people and so I thought that was pretty cool. I remember how pissed everyone was on Brady's fumble, and I said "Eh... maybe next year," and a coworker picked up and threw a basket of condiments, and then like 90 seconds later they, famously, reversed the call. Anyway the result of the game was awesome, especially because I was a huge Patriots fan, but also I really fondly remember sitting around the bar with people who were older than me and feeling welcome.

I have almost no fond memories of being in high school though. Oddly, really thinking of it, all of my favorite memories of that time are memories of places I worked. I used to have a blast being at work even though I wouldn't want to go to work at the time, I now look back fondly at almost every high school job that I had and thinking fo my favorite memories of that time, nearly all of them center around the job I had.

wwm0nkey

3000 kids at our high school, shit sucked. My HS also fucked me over and due to me taking a speech program in kindergarten, they put me in classes with all the sketch kids and I was never allow to take a class above a level 1. They also didn't count me in the overall grades and let's just say I shouldn't have been able to graduate but they just let me haha.

Sitting on a 3.0 now at college because they only wanted to fuck my wallet at least.

So yeah I hated my high school.

Gym was fun though.

Joe T.

There are a lot of memories from HS, but one still makes me laugh when thinking back to it. In the 90's a couple of friends and I picked up "fart spray" at a small party favors shop in a nearby mall. We had never seen or heard of it before, so we figured why not? We had some innocent fun with it (it was some potent stuff), but I quickly thought bigger picture, what else could I do with this $3-4 bottle of rotten egg stench? The next day two of us (the third chickened out) sprayed the stuff in class at exactly the same time, clearing out our respective classes, and we kept spraying along the halls until it became so overpowering that the entire school got evacuated within minutes. The few that saw me do it kept their lips sealed and those that didn't were all wondering what the hell just happened. It was glorious. Almost everyone enjoyed the break from class as it was a warm day outside, had a good laugh about it and no one would have ever believed I was partly responsible anyway since I was in good graces with all the teachers. My friend wasn't so lucky as he got suspended the next day, but he didn't care, it was worth it.

Regiruler

Never seeing them again.

Were the relations with your teachers really that poor?

I'd kill to see pretty much every single one of my high school teachers again. The problem is it's weird to show up without a reason.
Furniture and Cabinetmaking class.

How am I only now remembering the shelf I made in applied tech? I still use it to hold our wii u and switch games.

Doing things I've never done before... Finding true friends that up until now 10+ years later are still brothers to me. I've met a lot of amazing people when I was in highschool (i was kinda active on extra curricular school projects).

But my worst memory of hightchool was Junior prom (senior prom was nice).. Looking back it's funny to me now that the thing that most people find the best of HS was the worst to me. Asked this girl who I had the biggest crush on to dance with me.. she turned me down.. like right in front of her friends. I was sad and shit but kept on partying. My 3 best friends were there to console me. Man, I REALLY appreciated they didn;t made fun of me for that. lmao.. It did definitely affected me in some ways I never thought could affect a person. But things happen for a reason. It's all good now.

I regretted half-assing the effort i put in in studying the entire time I was in HS. I wish I enjoyed the grind of gaining knowledge a bit more back then.

Smoking my first joint sitting in the back of a pickup truck after Homecoming with my date and it started snowing. Then I got a shitty handjob.

High school was pretty fucking terrible.

Nicolada

My first year of high school ended miserably for reasons, but after I ended up transferring the rest of my high school experience became just one good long memory really. Just about every day was a good day. My fav was prolly when we went on a field trip to Sea World. Not that I approve of Sea World, but it was the company that made that day a blast.

Van Bur3n

A student attempted to shoot up our school and started by immediately going after the resource officer. He failed immediately though and was only able to graze the officer's ear. Got tackled afterwards.

There was a threat of pipe bombs in the building however so all of the students were taken to the football stadium bleachers to wait. Everyone was impatient to just go home and started getting rowdy and chanting school anthems and shit.

Despite how serious the situation was (there were no bombs), everyone was having a good time, as bizarre as it may seem.

Sucked for the shooter I guess. Missed out.

Damaniel

Banned
My first serious computer programming courses were taught in my junior and senior years, and there was a group of us that sat around during class, or occasionally after hours, coming up with stupid programs. The second year, we finished the year's worth of curriculum in about 2 weeks, and spent the rest of the time just doing self study (and, again, writing stupid programs, mainly in C++ at that point). We also did some non-programming computer stuff (one of us ran a dial-in BBS, a couple of us worked on setting up a Linux PC to mess around with, we all programmed a couple games).

I also spent freshman through part of my junior year on the school newspaper staff. I was editor for a while near the end and was responsible for assembling the staff editorial, and I went to a national student journalism conference and won the only award that had been won by a student at my school (at the time). Sadly, I had a falling out with the teacher over changes to advertising policy (in short, participation in the journalism program was graded, and during my junior year she decided to make a non-trivial chunk of our grades dependent on selling a minimum amount of advertising space). Other than that part, I really enjoyed working on the staff - I wish I had kept some of the issues though.

Wood Man

My HS experience wasn't terrible but graduating was defiantly the highlight. I'm so glad school is done.

Flirting with girls was nice too.

Damaniel

Banned
My memories of marching band.

..surprising amounts of sex happened in it.

I wasn't in band myself, but I knew a few people in the band at my school, and...

...no lies detected.

We also had one guy on the cheerleading squad. He apparently did really well too from what I heard.

Jencks

Banned
Performing at a national level marching band competition at Lucas Oil Stadium on no sleep. By that point all my friends and I were sick of the shitty band director and program, so we didn't give a fuck. I felt like I was brain dead the entire time and relying solely on muscle memory.

Bunking off sure was fun. I dunno, I didn't have any friends, wasn't applying myself academically (bunch of stuff going on at home), but I took the opportunity of my virtual invisibility to just do what I pleased. Not like real bad behaved stuff, I just played a whole lot of DS, smoked, read books, whatever.

Dead Guy

Probably overnight volleyball tournaments with the team. Every one always was a good time and made for a lot of memories.

Also the complete cluster fuck that was shop class. It was nerve racking at the time but now I can look back and laugh at all the stupidity that went on. For reference one guy literally almost blew the whole school up twice.

Jakten

My entire life of schooling was constant harassment and fist fights which I was always punished for by the teachers. By the time I got into high school I might as well of been mute. I didn't start talking to people again until college. The fact that someone could be able to enjoy high school is basically incomprehensible to me. Any remotely good memory I have is followed up by something extremely shitty afterwards.

Kieli

High school was unremarkable for me. All I remember was wanting to leave for college so I could focus on the subjects that interested me.

University was much more interesting and I gained a small, but strong, cohort of friends that I keep in contact with to this day. Same can't be said of my high school friends.

Astral Dog

High School was when depression truly started i still don't feel well 😔 though to be fair it was far worse at home.

My favorite memory would be, i guess, the last high school i went to. Last six months weren't too bad when i changed school.

Choomp

Banned
Leaving. Never went to prom, never had a girlfriend and never lost my virginity so highschool pretty much blew.

If that's the way you're going to view your High School experience of course it's not gonna be good. There's way more to it than that.

I only finished like a year ago and I have too many good memories to recall. Just little stuff like hanging out with friends and meeting people that will hopefully last a lifetime. There is a lot more I could've done, in terms of social output, sex or whatever, and most considerably effort in schoolwork, but I really don't have reason to regret anything considering I was super happy in High School and enjoyed every minute of it.

DMVfan123

Banned
Having most of my graduating class cheer for me in the stands when my name got called during the football presentation of my junior year pep rally even though I never played a snap
Football was fun, even though I should've just been a team manager and we sucked my senior year

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
When my 9th grade English teacher would bend down in front of me in that dress.

Getting out.

This.

I did my last semester of high school at a local community college.
I didn't go to graduation (or any non-class event at the school in general).
It's been 15 years since I graduated, and I haven't been back since.
Good riddance to that place.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Getting high with my group of friends while we listened to music and talked. And having sex with my girlfriend, that was always fun. Also enjoyed playing on the basketball team and soccer team before I got addicted to cigarettes.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Hm.
Being one of the students to a new high school.

Going from a nobody (9th-10th) to a somebody( 11th-12th).

Meeting basically my now best friends there.

Meeting my first major crush and getting heartbroken. lol

gamz

Hated Highschool. Best thing about HS was a English class called Film Study. Watched a film and then analyzed it. Only A I got.

Being able to have people over anytime, any day and do whatever we wanted in the basement which was also my room.

Throwing huge parties when my mom was away with our huge backyard, pool and hot tub and have random people recognize me at other parties because they've been to my house. This became uncool after 2 police busts but by that point I was about to graduate and leave anyway.

Losing virginity.

Summers.

Did I mention the parties? Those were awesome until the cops started coming. I'd collect cash from people and our Au Pair would buy us a shitload of alcohol. At the end of the night there'd just be me and a few of my closest guy and girl friends, smoking up in the hot tub as the sun came up, listening to music. This was 99, 00 and 01. The best times.

Pagusas

Elden Member
As already said: getting out.

Nothing bad happened to me in Highschool, I was well liked and had no issue with anyone, but I still remember the joy of getting out and realizing in a few short months I'd be off to college and never have to return home again. It was amazing. My first day of college is one of the best days of my life (Behind only my wedding and honeymoon)

ryseing

I got to sing with my a capella group in Carnegie Hall, which was pretty dope. That group in general provided most of my favorite memories. We grew super tight over the course of the year we did it.

My senior year in general was great. I transferred from my super strict Baptist school to a significantly less strict private school. Only had like four classes so I would go over to my buddy's place and hang out.

Ah nostalgia.

I'd say my first couple years of college were actually worse. Had a bunch of family shit go down and I was attending a school that wasn't a great fit for who I was becoming. I transferred out after my sophomore year and things got somewhat better.

*reads title*
"well, this is going to be a depressing thread."
*opens it*
"...yup."

High School was a pretty shitty time for me. Among other things, it was when I developed depression that I never really started get past until recently.

I have to say the things I enjoyed most out of that experience was:

-Talking with my circle of friends
-Realizing that I'm gay
-Graduating

wamberz1

Picking an elective where the teach was a pothead and through the entire semester we did nothing but watch the first and a half seasons of prison break

Other than that it fucking sucked

We had an intermural bowling league that my friends and I were in, and this particular bowling alley had an X-Men vs Street Fighter machine in their tiny arcade. Good times.

Other than that, fuck high school.

Top Bottom