• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Crazy It's almost here.

Meanwhile looking back it felt like people only liked:
-Daredevil S1
-1st half of Luke Cage.

(I really enjoyed Jessica Jones but GAF was down on it)

Just so weird for so much hype given the scrutiny at leveled at all the lead up.

Seems more like

Daredevil S1, Luke Cage P1, and DD S2 P1.

Jessica Jones seemed to be alright.

Iron First, DD S2 P2, and LC P2 were shit.

Crazy It's almost here.

Meanwhile looking back it felt like people only liked:
-Daredevil S1
-1st half of Luke Cage.

(I really enjoyed Jessica Jones but GAF was down on it)

Just so weird for so much hype given the scrutiny at leveled at all the lead up.
I enjoyed everything but Iron Fist. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones did drag a bit, and DD S2 want as good as S1, but they were still mediocre at worst.

Iron Fist was just ass. It was like Arrow season 4, but somehow it was even worse.

LotusHD

Banned
Jessica Jones is a mixed bag, half of it is really good and then you have the
siblings in the apartment, stupidity handling Kilgrave's capture, Hogarth's love life, and Nuke.

Only thing that annoyed me was the siblings, but I do agree that Kilgrave got away a few too many times. Still, very gripping.

I wonder what they will do with season 2 considering
the one thing that made the series great, Kilgrave, is dead.

Yea, I don't know what to expect myself...

I enjoyed everything but Iron Fist. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones did drag a bit, and DD S2 want as good as S1, but they were still mediocre at worst.

Iron Fist was just ass. It was like Arrow season 4, but somehow it was even worse.

Yea, at least Arrow has Oliver and Thea, meanwhile Danny is just not likable at all.

AMUSIX

Yea, at least Arrow has Oliver and Thea, meanwhile Danny is just not likable at all.

Wait...are you listing Oliver as a positive? Oh no...no, no, no, no.....When Arrow is good, it's good in spite of the black hole of personality that is Oliver. It's bad enough that he's written so horribly, then the plot constantly has him being an asshole for no real reason, and, I'm sorry, Amell is a great guy, among the best in TV Land, but he just can't act...or maybe every director on the show gives him the same direction of "don't look at your fellow actors, but instead stare off into the middle distance".

LotusHD

Banned
I'm watching DD s1 now and I already want a S3. Reading these comments about S2 is worrying me though.

Nah, DD S2 is fine, worst case scenario it will always have those amazing fight scenes, and the Punisher was great. Also something happens in S2 that leaves you very interested in what S3 will bring.

Wait...are you listing Oliver as a positive? Oh no...no, no, no, no.....When Arrow is good, it's good in spite of the black hole of personality that is Oliver. It's bad enough that he's written so horribly, then the plot constantly has him being an asshole for no real reason, and, I'm sorry, Amell is a great guy, among the best in TV Land, but he just can't act...or maybe every director on the show gives him the same direction of "don't look at your fellow actors, but instead stare off into the middle distance".

I'm saying S4 was bad, but Oliver and Thea compares favorably to Danny (He's the new low bar alongside Barry) so it barely wins out, I'm not saying I think he did an amazing performance or anything lol

That said, he was okay in S5.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I just hope having the DD showrunners means we actually get a decent IF.

Tobor

I'm psyched for this.

Haven't seen Iron Fist, but the completionist in me really wants to.

I started watching it finally tonight. It's not bad so far. Seems like typical GAF hyperbole. Everything is either amazing or shit. Nothing can just be decent.

Well, so far, I'd say Iron Fist is decent. I'll update as I get through it.

I just rewatched Luke Cage. It's so fucking campy, I love. There are episodes named "DWYCK" and "You Know My Steez"

"Lemonade is a popular drink" and "It still is" are actual pieces of dialog from the show.

Diamondback is so ridiculous, one my favorite MCU villains by far

LotusHD

Banned
I started watching it finally tonight. It's not bad so far. Seems like typical GAF hyperbole. Everything is either amazing or shit. Nothing can just be decent.

Well, so far, I'd say Iron Fist is decent. I'll update as I get through it.

I keep seeing people write off the criticism as hyperbole, ignoring that the reviews savaged tf out of Iron Fist when it came out, and the first show of the Netflix bunch to get such a poor reception.

Frankly, if it wasn't attached to Defenders (and after watching it, it wasn't really necessary tbh), I wouldn't have bothered. It's not even something to hate watch for me, where it's so bad that it's good. It was aggressively boring.

Volimar

Can't wait! In for the side characters as much as for the stars. Hope Night Nurse got her cup of coffee.

The Defenders OT: still better than inhumans.

Tobor

I keep seeing people write off the criticism as hyperbole, ignoring that the reviews savaged tf out of Iron Fist when it came out, and the first show of the Netflix bunch to get such a poor reception.

Frankly, if it wasn't attached to Defenders (and after watching it, it wasn't really necessary tbh), I wouldn't have bothered. It's not even something to hate watch for me, where it's so bad that it's good. It was aggressively boring.

I'm by no means dismissing criticism, just saying it isn't garbage, at least not yet. We'll see how I feel later.

My early criticism: It's the weakest premise of the four shows, so it's got an uphill battle from the jump. I know Iron Fist has some comic fans but I've never been a fan.

And with all that, I still don't think it's garbage yet. But there's time!

I'm by no means dismissing criticism, just saying it isn't garbage, at least not yet. We'll see how I feel later.

My early criticism: It's the weakest premise of the four shows, so it's got an uphill battle from the jump. I know Iron Fist has some comic fans but I've never been a fan.

I'm not sure where you are, but I got through about two and a half episodes before I just couldn't stand it anymore. None of the characters are remotely likable, nor do they act or talk in a way that makes sense.

Dalek

I'm way behind and just started Iron Fist-but maybe it was all the negativity but I'm not finding it THAT bad. It's not a bad show per se, but it's a disappointment as IRON FIST show.

I'm not sure where you are, but I got through about two and a half episodes before I just couldn't stand it anymore. None of the characters are remotely likable, nor do they act or talk in a way that makes sense.

Some of the characters have GREAT arcs
Well, mostly just Ward, but still I love his whole thing
. I do find it a more interesting show to watch than Luke Cage, which holy shit i couldn't keep my eyes open when watching.

Also, Ward gif is the best Netflix Marvel gif, so it's got that going for it.

Loved DD.

Loved the first half of LC.

Thought JJ was meh, but Purple Man was always a creepy ass villain and probably the best villain, after Wilson Fisk and Cottonmouth.

I really, REALLY wanted to like IF. He's one of my favorites. A kick ass ninja with super powers, best friend of Luke Cage, with great source material should have been easy. And somehow they messed it up.

Hopefully Defenders is fun and can redeem IF as well.

Heck. If it's good, I'd be in favor of scrapping all of the separate shows (except DD), and just keeping Defenders. Combining LC, JJ, and IF, or at least LC and IF, makes sense for their characters anyways.

Anyways, I can't wait to see Sigourney do her thing.

VeeP

Man, I'm pretty excited for this, but tbh, Luke Cage, JJ, and Iron Fist killed some of my hype lol.

Daredevil, both seasons, were really solid. Great action, solid acting, and dragged at parts but it was still a solid show.

Jessica Jones had some great acting, Purple Man was a great villain. So god damn good. But I just felt like the show kept running in circles. And some of the side characters were so bad. The series should've been half the length.

Luke Cage. Man, the first 6 episodes were so good. And then idk what happened, it just got so bad. Should've ended at 6.

Iron Fist. This was basically a very mediocre version of Daredevil. The plot had some pretty big holes/shit that made no sense, Finn Jones did a eh job overall, action scenes were kinda iffy, etc. Overall it was alright, but not something I would recommend, and ultimately I felt it didn't reach close to it's potential.

TheOddOne

- EW: Netflix's The Defenders proves the power of team-ups, shorter seasons: EW review.
The Defenders is far from perfect. But it’s an enjoyable superhero adventure distinguished by improvements and innovations that I hope Marvel will carry forward. Shorter seasons. More team-ups. Fewer shows. Start the consolidation by letting go of Iron Fist. If Danny Rand must persist, add him to the other shows and let the stronger players carry him. That’s what superfriends are for.
- Rolling Stone: 'The Defenders': Netflix's Marvel Superhero Team-Up Is Three-Fourths Great.
The weak link: Danny Rand, the Iron Fist, is just tragically devoid of charisma. His elevator just doesn't seem to reach the upper floors. (If this guy's a "major" superhero, who are the minor ones?) Jessica Henwick returns as his partner and dojo-mate Colleen Wing, but she'd be a far more intriguing character if she had something to do besides shake her head at her twit of a boyfriend– if only they'd cast her as the Fist. The series tries to make the most of Danny's limitations by making him the butt of everyone else's scorn. That isn't quite enough to make you glad when he shows up in a scene, but at least it's useful for Luke Cage to have a dim-bulb rich white kid to snarl at. The Defenders is not exactly a team of equals, to say the least. But it goes three for four – and with these three different compelling superheroes in the mix, it's a squad worth rooting for.
- Deadline: ‘The Defenders’ Review: Krysten Ritter & Sigourney Weaver Strong In Team-Up.

hydruxo

Iron Fist is the only one I thought was actually good.

Well, that's an opinion.

I really have no expectations for this. I want it to turn out well but after IF and the 2nd half of Luke Cage, I'm pretty down on Netflix Marvel shows until Punisher drops.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm ready! Although I'm not excited at all. I'm glad it's only 8 episodes.

I remember when I used to be hyped for this. Then I saw Ironfist.

I expect nothing and somehow I know I'll be disappointed

This is going to be shit, I can feel it.

I'll watch it for Stick and any Punisher or Kingpin caneos.

Oh man...come on guys, perk up! The reviews for this have been generally been positive so far! I doubt this is going to be another Iron Fist situation!

tenor.gif

Can someone just go ahead and spoil/summarize the important points from Iron Fist? I really don't want to finish it.

Here's a summary of the show to bring you up to speed. Major spoilers ahead!

Danny Rand: I am Danny Rand. I have been away for years ever since my family's plane crash-landed in the Himalayas., an event that we're going to see throughout this show over and over again ad-naseum in flashback form. In the crash, my parents were instantly killed yet I alone survived...and was subsequently picked up by monks from a hidden Magical City which we'll never get to see in this show on account of crippling budget limitations. I am the Iron Fist, sworn protector of the city I recently abandoned at a moments notice and left entirely unprotected because I'm a fucking clown. I am the Iron Fist.

Ward and Joy (Siblings): We were once your childhood friends and now own your father's billion dollar company as adults.

Danny Rand: I am the Iron Fist. Give me my father's company back.

Ward and Joy: Okay.

Danny Rand: I am the Iron Fist.

Colleen Wing: I teach Kung-Fu.

Danny:
Let's have sex. I am the Iron Fist.

Colleen: Okay. I'm also a disciple of The Hand, the sworn enemy of the hidden city that raised you.

Danny: As the Iron Fist, this sickens and disgusts me. I am the Iron Fist.

Harold: I am the father of Ward and Joy, also I ran your father's company along with your father. I engineered the plane crash that killed your parents, because of greed or something.

Danny: I am the Iron Fist.

Harold: Indeed. (Falls off rooftop, dies)

Collen: What now, Danny?

Danny: I am the Iron Fist. Let us now go back to the ancient city I swore to protect as Iron Fist but subsequently abandoned at a moment's notice for no fucking reason. I'm sure everything will be great there.

(Danny and Collen return to said ancient city. Predictably, everything is fucked)

Danny: I am the Iron Fist.

RedAssedApe

Banned
seems like danny has a bit more personality in this? also looks better in fight scenes but its hard to tell from trailers as they can cherrypick and do a lot of jump cuts

hope to be pleasantly surprised since people have kind of been pretty down on Netflix Marvel since Ironfist

LotusHD

Banned
I don't trust people who say Iron Fist is better or more watchable than Luke Cage

taste is subjective and all but no, fucking no

This. Like even if you found the entirety of Luke Cage to be boring af, Iron Fist is not gonna be any better lmao, so I would just skip it if you dislike LC.

This. Like even if you found the entirety of Luke Cage to be boring af, Iron Fist is not gonna be any better lmao, so I would just skip it if you dislike LC.

Evidently I don't agree with this - the supporting cast and their stories in Iron Fist were far more interesting and in depth than Luke Cages, and both shows have different pacing and tones. Cottonmouth was played well but amounted to absolutely nothing. It's very possible to be bored by Luke Cage and enjoy Iron Fist

Though either way original poster should check it out for themselves, living off other peoples internet opinions isn't exactly the best way to go.

Evidently I don't agree with this - the supporting cast and their stories in Iron Fist were far more interesting and in depth than Luke Cages, and both shows have different pacing and tones. Cottonmouth was played well but amounted to absolutely nothing. It's very possible to be bored by Luke Cage and enjoy Iron Fist

Though either way original poster should check it out for themselves, living off other peoples internet opinions isn't exactly the best way to go.

Iron Fist doesn't even have a tone, it's just there. Fake ass boardroom drama shit. No characters on IF are as engaging as Misty Knight. The entire season of IF amounted to nothing but proving why Danny shouldn't be Iron Fist, wtf is that? Why write it that way? Iron Fist is the epitome of telling instead of showing. How many times do they tell us about Kunlun without showing it? Damn near every time. Iron Fist is bad with very few redeemable qualities.

I totally understand why people who say SJW un-ironically would be "bored" by Luke Cage but "enjoy" Iron Fist but objectively one show has exceptional qualities to speak of and the other show just doesn't.

Damn what great timing for this to release later this week, I had no idea until running across this thread. I'm horribly behind on television but the past week or so, my girlfriend has been out of the country and my best friend out of state, so I've had more time on my hands than usual.
I watched Dardevil S1 when it was released but I finally finished off Daredevil Season 2 tonight and I'm craving more. Perfect timing. Except that everyone gets back this week and I'll be out of state this weekend so I probably won't watch Defenders for a couple weeks.

I've loved just about everything about Daredevil, and Jessica Jones was at least worth it for the amazing villain it had, but every scene with Luke Cage in it was like a charisma black hole so I'm not at all interested in his standalone series. And with what I'm hearing about Iron Fist, that's getting a skip, too. Especially considering any clip I see of that character is not appealing at all.

This will hopefully at the very least be a hearty snack to keep me satisfied until Punisher's standalone, who I also enjoyed very much in DD.

DD so good he deserves to make a cameo in a movie. I'd love it if he teamed up with Spidey against Kingpin.

Slummung it through Iron fist at the moment and it does get (a bit) better after the break out from the hospital but just got to the fight with bride of the nine spiders and the dialogue and Danny's actions with the person is so cringy and also is out of character and makes no sense. There are slivers of Danny that resonated with me from the Matt Fraction run. His light heartedness, neivety and moral compass are there but not enough. Also I don't mind the guy who blames. He does the best of a bad job

Apt101

I am hoping for the best, but damn. Tried to rewatch Iron Fist and lord in Heaven is this a shit adaptation of the character. Bumming me out. I'll go ahead and rewatch Jessica Jones instead. At least that show had gorgeous cinematography.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Iron Fist is the only one I thought was actually good.
And people say there are no wrong opinions...

Slummung it through Iron fist at the moment and it does get (a bit) better after the break out from the hospital but just got to the fight with bride of the nine spiders and the dialogue and Danny's actions with the person is so cringy and also is out of character and makes no sense. There are slivers of Danny that resonated with me from the Matt Fraction run. His light heartedness, neivety and moral compass are there but not enough. Also I don't mind the guy who blames. He does the best of a bad job
There are a couple episodes that I think are actually pretty good in Iron Fist, starting with Episode 10. But man, everything before that just made me angry. Literally the only highlight before that is Claire excitedly packing up all the Chinese take-out for herself. It's that fucking low of a bar.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And people say there are no wrong opinions...

There are a couple episodes that I think are actually pretty good in Iron Fist, starting with Episode 10. But man, everything before that just made me angry. Literally the only highlight before that is Claire excitedly packing up all the Chinese take-out for herself. It's that fucking low of a bar.

I like basically everything in the MCU to at least some degree, even the more forgettable entries in the franchise, because even those are generally entertaining to watch once.

Iron Fist was literally not worth watching at all.

Top Bottom