• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Talk ‘Confederate’ Controversy, Defends Slave Drama, Not The Way It Was Announced

Jeremy

We do know the summary and we do know what the basic tone is from the writer interviews. We know they want to tell a nuanced story around a US with the institution of slavery intact.

A modern day envisioning of the slavery of Black Americans is a flawed message to start, so progressive is a difficult message to wrap around that.

How about this? Would you expect people to be ok with a show with the premise being the Nazis didn't lose WW2 (and before you say, Man In The High Castle) AND the Jews were still subjected to experiments, torture and death camps as a major story point.

Would people be waiting around to see how progressive the underlying message might be before weighing in?

Should we wait and see how 'nuanced' the telling of the story is when the premise is so inflammatory?

Random question but this made me wonder... does the Wolfenstein series depict aspects of the Holocaust in anyway?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Random question but this made me wonder... does the Wolfenstein series depict aspects of the Holocaust in anyway?

It goes beyond that as the Nazis open gigantic concentration camps across the world. One of the missions involves you infiltrating one to rescue a person of interest.

Whompa02

Get Out had decent writers

are the writers for this not good? I do hear that GoT kind of went downhill after they ran out of book material to work with.

A show where modern day black people as cattle as progressive? In what way?

That's not progressive. It all depends on how the story unfolds. How that's interesting is something that's missing right now...All we have is the setup. We need characters, motivation (arguably already have that), some actual vibe and flow here. We need more, at least I need more, before I'm on or off board.

The only thing we have is the terrible, "what if" scenario and nothing much else.

How about this? Would you expect people to be ok with a show with the premise being the Nazis didn't lose WW2 (and before you say, Man In The High Castle) AND the Jews were still subjected to experiments, torture and death camps as a major story point.

Would people be waiting around to see how progressive the underlying message might be before weighing in?

Should we wait and see how 'nuanced' the telling of the story is when the premise is so inflammatory?

We've had a few alternate universe nazi stories told through several books, videogames, and movies yeah. Are you asking me why the premise to fictional stories about my relatives don't anger me, or how those stories unfolded and made me recognize the past and the efforts of heroes who defied the status quo of the non-fiction reality?

All we have is a bad, ahistorical, and frankly insensitive premise, and showrunners with a reputation of being exploitative and socially unaware.

That is way more than enough to shit on this.

Devil

Because it's a sensitive subject; especially in today's society. I'm a black male and I'm highly skeptical about this show. Whether I choose to watch it or not.

I mean, there is already a show like Man in the High Castle where Nazis rule over the USA after WW2 with all their racism intact. And it's perfectly fine. Why should a version about Civil War not be possible or well done by HBO and the GoT producers?

Being skeptical is perfectly fine but I don't get what they are apoligizing for beforehand. Wait and see if it is in good taste or not, the announcement itself didn't tell you if they were going a wrong way.

If they don't do the topic justice though, by all means, go nuts on them.

watershed

Banned
It's laughable that some people pretend they can't see why slavery doesn't scream great entertainment.

I think the bigger problem is that they're not pretending. They legitimately can't empathize or even sympathize with the idea of people of color finding a prestige HBO show centered around imagining the modern day enslavement of black people disturbing. They think it's a bunch of whining. They literally can't relate or aren't even trying. To them the premise is totally fine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean, there is already a show like Man in the High Castle where Nazis rule over the USA after WW2 with all their racism intact. And it's perfectly fine. Why should a version about Civil War not be possible or well done by HBO and the GoT producers?

Being skeptical is perfectly fine but I don't get what they are apoligizing for beforehand. Wait and see if it is in good taste or not, the announcement itself didn't tell you if they were going a wrong way.

Because we don't have Daughters of the Third Reich in America but we certainly have Daughters of the Confederacy. They aren't flying Nazi flags outside of several court houses or have giant monuments up to the third Reich in America, they certainly do for confederate flags, symbols and "heroes". If you can't see why something like this touches a lot of raw nerves and hits far closer to home I'm not sure what else to say.

DonShula

The south had 0 major industry. They had no natural metals of any abundance, no real ability to mine or refine steel, no major metropolitan areas compared to the north, no real cohesion of government, etc etc.

Alternative history is only interesting if it's at least semi plausible, nothing about the Confederacy being a stable, economic and political entity 150 years and a series of wars later is plausible. So if this has ANY chance of being good, they'd better have fucking nailed that background information.

But I won't see it regardless, I have 0 interest in propagating more slave shit.

I'm not as historically learned as you seem to be, but I'll play devil's advocate for fun. The south had plenty options between agriculture and textiles, right? And the slave population means that they had quite a cheap labor force. If they were able to import raw materials from somewhere (anywhere) wouldn't that be enough to get some China-type manufacturing going? Plus they have offshore oil - no idea when historically they'd have been able to find it and drill for it given they'd be at a technological disadvantage.

They'd also have easier access to Mexico. If they seceded from the north, who knows what the hell they ended up doing to the south.

LionPride

Banned
Imma say this

Given how GoT has handled race before, people being aprehensive when people associated with that show are doing this show, it makes sense

However

If there is a Catcher Freeman type character

I'm in that ho watchin it

theWB27

I think the bigger problem is that they're not pretending. They legitimately can't empathize or even sympathize with the idea of people of color finding a prestige HBO show centered around imagining the modern day enslavement of black people disturbing. They think it's a bunch of whining. They literally can't relate or aren't even trying. To them the premise is totally fine.

Devil's argument is literally wait and see if they further shit on black people before you throw a hissy fit. We get stories almost daily of people shitting black people....but hol'up on this one.

Kill3r7

D&D are just not talented people. They're the worst part of GoT and suck at making anything that's not lifted straight from the books. The topic of their next show is already questionable enough, but with those two heading the project and it all being original material, I have next to zero faith in it turning out well.

I think part of what bothers me about this project is that the very premise as they explain it, "modern day slavery," seems to understate/ignore the very real ways in which aspects of the institution of slavery managed to carry on in some form or another throughout post-civil war America (Jim crow, prisons, etc.). There's just a very damaging and prolific view in white America that the civil war definitively ended slavery, and MLK/civil rights act definitely ended what was leftover of racism, so it's not a really big problem anymore. I have very little confidence that D&D have any understanding of US racial history beyond the surface level, whitewashed shit taught in high school. And even less confidence that they would be respectful to that history (and modern day situation) in their portrayal of this show.

FWIW, City of Thieves and 25th Hour were both pretty great.

Because the Nazis lost completely and Germany has been adamant that their ideology never gains ground again. Meanwhile while the Confederates lost the war they still maintained control thanks to Reconstruction failing and still have it. We got an Attorney General that's named after the Confederate president for goodness' sake.

Breads

Banned
Not interested in slave or nazi fan fics.

I would however like to see an alternate future where slaves turned the tables or native americans where the majority. That would be more interesting.

Will probably never happen at that level though.

We've had a few alternate universe nazi stories told through several books, videogames, and movies yeah. Are you asking me why the premise to fictional stories about my relatives don't anger me?

I love when people are purposefully obtuse.

I know there is tons of media with Nazi alternate universe stories. If one was announced by the GoT showrunners, where one of the main story plot points was, following WW2, half of Germany continued to be Nazis (with concentration camps and experiments continuing to go on, specifically on Jewish people in modern day) would you need to see what the underlying message was in order to be bothered by the concept?

Whompa02

I love when people are purposefully obtuse.

I know there is tons of media with Nazi alternate universe stories. If one was announced by the GoT showrunners, where one of the main story plot points was, following WW2, half of Germany continued to be Nazis (with concentration camps and experiments continuing to go on, specifically on Jewish people in modern day) would you need to see what the underlying message was in order to be bothered by the concept?

A premise to a story does not bother me as much as how it unfolds, but okay. Sure. I love when people assume their next door liberal neighbor is somehow not on their side because they weren't enraged by a premise.

If your hypothetical premise to a story (which btw has been a similar premise to stories in the past as well) was an HBO miniseries, I'd like to see how the main characters fix that obvious problem too.

I'm not going to join you on the DVD burning before I tear off the plastic around the box. I'd need to know more. Sorry. I hope you can understand that. But like I said, I'm not thrilled at the original Confederate concept either way. It's just not interesting enough a concept.

A premise to a story does not bother me as much as how it unfolds, but okay. Sure. I love when people assume their next door liberal neighbor is somehow not on their side because they weren't enraged by a premise.

I'm not interested in getting you "on my side". You brought up your relatives so I laid it out for you and in a relatable hypothetical. You said, regardless, it doesn't bother you. Cool. That's you.

If your hypothetical premise to a story (which btw has been a similar premise to stories in the past as well) was an HBO miniseries, I'd like to see how the main characters fix that obvious problem too.

When did the showrunners say any characters were going to "fix" this "problem"?! They have said, in interviews they plan to tell a nuanced story with protagonists on both sides...it was in the original announcement as well.

I'm not going to join you on the DVD burning before I tear off the plastic around the box. I'd need to know more. Sorry. But like I said, I'm not thrilled at the original Confederate concept either way. It's just not interesting enough a concept.

Calling a concept into question isn't " burning". It is simply that, calling it into question. Based on all the reaction the showrunners are having, they realize this is a problem.

seems like a dumb, bad idea, possibly given the green light simply due to controversy.

better off reading real slave accounts, or watching a documentary on the civil war, these things would be far more educational and enlightening. or, as many have suggested, looking into the way in which slavery is indeed still baked into society (for-profit prisons, farming-and-agricultural labor exploitation, sweat shops/suicical iphone factories).

not that this will stop people from calling this show "important". will it inform? yes but only on alternative realities that do not and never will exist.

I'm going to be honest: I don't think there's anything worthwhile here. Alternate "what if the South had succeeded," and "What if the Nazis won?" and "if the Americans lost the Revolution?" Are all so overdone I just don't care. They aren't interesting topics any more.

Especially because I don't think slavery is nuanced. It's a bad thing. We know why people do it and why it's bad. There's nothing else to show. I haven't watched GoT, so its success does nothing to gain me anymore interest in this show.

I get the outrage, and there doesn't seem to be anything redeeming here except for the talent (maybe).

Viewt

It's pretty ridiculous that a lot of folks don't understand why this is insensitive and worthy of skepticism.

I'm Jewish, and if the only way Jewish actors could get work of substance for decades was by doing Holocaust movies, I'd be pissed. If Jewish actors managed to carve out a niche for themselves, to start producing work of real merit outside the Holocaust, to actually reflect the modern Jewish experience, and then a couple gentiles decided to do "What if the Final Solution worked and there were only a few hundred Jews left on Earth?" I'd be pissed. With reason.

Seriously, look inward. Think about why this is hurtful to so many, and think about why your instinct is to deflect and devalue rather than trying to empathize and connect. Yeesh.

I wish black actors refused to even film this shuck n jive bullshit.

The fuck they gonna show? A black woman breastfeeding a white baby while on an iPhone? Yea I don't see how this shit works for me.

It's pretty ridiculous that a lot of folks don't understand why this is insensitive and worthy of skepticism.

I'm Jewish, and if the only way Jewish actors could get work of substance for decades was by doing Holocaust movies, I'd be pissed. If Jewish actors managed to carve out a niche for themselves, to start producing work of real merit outside the Holocaust, to actually reflect the modern Jewish experience, and then a couple gentiles decided to do "What if the Final Solution worked and there were only a few hundred Jews left on Earth?" I'd be pissed. With reason.

Seriously, look inward. Think about why this is hurtful to so many, and think about why your instinct is to deflect and devalue rather than trying to empathize and connect. Yeesh.

Thank you for getting it.

All but guaranteed plot lines from this show:

Young son of a long time slave owning family is conflicted, has second thoughts about the whole institution when he falls in love with a very attractive slave

Samuel L Jackson type character from Django Unchained as one of the villains

Female slave owner who uses her male slaves for sex

Some form of either gladiator or competitive sport where the participants are all slaves. These slaves enjoy perks others don’t and even enjoy fame, but they’re still bound to slavery and the paradox is devastating!

Slave rebellion at some point

It’s going to be awful.
So they are making a worse version of Spartacus.

Afrocious

I forgot where I read or heard about this, but the reason why such shows like this will exist and be accepted is because non-black audiences don't care too much about black people's stories outside of narratives done about slavery. You could even go as far as to say using slavery as a backdrop to write a story is easy since folks have an idea of what kind struggles and hardships slaves faced.

The irony is that if, for example, you had a story that was removed from slavery, and had predominantly non-black characters for it and it was positively received with lots of attention, then that same story being told with predominantly black characters down to the same character arcs, settings, and plots, it would be predicted to do poorly. Folks would see it as a 'black' story only for black people.

But make it about slaves, then you get attention of the masses and not just black people.

It's sad tbh. Black people have to be slaves or criminals to be noticed, regardless of how well-written such characters can be. And on top of that, for a story with black people to be successful, it's either pitched as being for only black people or being a slave narrative so that non-black people can be comfortable with it.

I have a bit more I could say about stories made that are supposed to appeal to 'everyone' and stories that appeal to a black audience (mandated by a corporate marketing team in most cases), but that kinda goes beyond the scope of this thread.

EDIT: There are outliers that do give me hope like with Get Out and Moonlight (still need to see this). N.K. Jemisen is doing great as well despite me not liking The Fifth Season.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You know, this discussion is really making someone would make a film adaptation of Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses book series, which is set in an alternate world where Africa become the world's dominant power, leading them to African people taking European people as slaves...leading to a 21st Century world where segregation continues to exist between blacks and whites, with whites being the ones often relegated to socially inferior positions within that specific society.

I feel a faithful adaption of that series could be a much more interesting alternate history story to watch play out on screen, and far less problematic than what HBO is trying to do here.

Budi

It's interesting how "both sides" have gone after this. We have people here and elsewhere raising legitimate concerns on how the topic will be handled or that they are very uncomfortable with the premise. And then we have people whining how HBO will portray all the southerners as bad guys and all the slave owners "mistreating" their slaves. Or how they wont show irish slaves too.

Geist-

I think how the producers have handled race before is what has some people concerned

iwhenh.jpg

Basically why I don't trust a word from D&D about this show.

Implications and baggage aside, I can't help but feel like this show has a lazy premise to start with.

But man it's unfortunate some people still fall back on "IT'S JUST FICTION" especially when the fiction is rooted in or at least influenced by history, things that actually happened, and doing.... something.... with it.

And yeah, I wouldn't want D&D running this show either.

You know, this discussion is really making someone would make a film adaptation of Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses book series, which is set in an alternate world where Africa become the world's dominant power, leading them to African people taking European people as slaves...leading to a 21st Century world where segregation continues to exist between blacks and whites, with whites being the ones often relegated to socially inferior positions within that specific society.

I feel a faithful adaption of that series could be a much more interesting alternate history story to watch play out on screen, and far less problematic than what HBO is trying to do here.

Folks are gonna lose their collective minds over Wakanda.

Sunster

It's interesting how "both sides" have gone after this. We have people here and elsewhere raising legitimate concerns on how the topic will be handled or that they are very uncomfortable with the premise. And then we have people whining how HBO will portray all the southerners as bad guys and all the slave owners "mistreating" their slaves. Or how they wont show irish slaves too.

lol the old irish slavery myth. created solely to tell black people to shut up.

Afrocious

That's why we need our own industry. It's kind of retarded begging white people to do a good movie about you when they already hate you.

I'm not going to use the word 'retarded' but while I don't disagree, I think it's more telling again that black folks would be better off making stories for themselves as opposed to making a story meant for black people that anyone non-black could get into. But then, wouldn't that be on the non-black people to what to get into a story about black people as opposed to black stories catering to them?

And then that begs the question of what is a black story, which such do exist, but I feel that's where we start putting black audiences in buckets and I'd rather not bring that topic up ITT.

One of my favorite movies.

watershed

Banned
I forgot where I read or heard about this, but the reason why such shows like this will exist and be accepted is because non-black audiences don't care too much about black people's stories outside of narratives done about slavery. You could even go as far as to say using slavery as a backdrop to write a story is easy since folks have an idea of what kind struggles and hardships slaves faced.

The irony is that if, for example, you had a story that was removed from slavery, and had predominantly non-black characters for it and it was positively received with lots of attention, then that same story being told with predominantly black characters down to the same character arcs, settings, and plots, it would be predicted to do poorly. Folks would see it as a 'black' story only for black people.

But make it about slaves, then you get attention of the masses and not just black people.

It's sad tbh. Black people have to be slaves or criminals to be noticed, regardless of how well-written such characters can be. And on top of that, for a story with black people to be successful, it's either pitched as being for only black people or being a slave narrative so that non-black people can be comfortable with it.

I have a bit more I could say about stories made that are supposed to appeal to 'everyone' and stories that appeal to a black audience (mandated by a corporate marketing team in most cases), but that kinda goes beyond the scope of this thread.

EDIT: There are outliers that do give me hope like with Get Out and Moonlight (still need to see this). N.K. Jemisen is doing great as well despite me not liking The Fifth Season.

It's called The Single Story, when another culture gets to tell the story of your culture. They find one narrative, loaded with prejudice and ignorance and other things, and tell that one story over and over. So it becomes the only story that gets told about your whole culture and history. The story of African Americans will forever be slave stories. the story of Mexican Americans will forever be immigrant stories, etc. White culture is telling the narrative and defining the single story of other cultures.

Top Bottom