• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Florida School District Is Eliminating Homework in Favor of Reading

Are you an educator? Do you follow the latest science of how people learn? More and more evidence shows homework is an ineffective and in many cases harmful method of teaching content. It doesn't provide academic or nonacademic growth at any age. Your statement is no different from an anti vax or anti gmo comment in terms of gross ignorance of the topic.

Yes actually, I am an educator.

Are you an educator? Do you follow the latest science of how people learn? More and more evidence shows homework is an ineffective and in many cases harmful method of teaching content. It doesn't provide academic or nonacademic growth at any age. Your statement is no different from an anti vax or anti gmo comment in terms of gross ignorance of the topic.

I need to see evidence of this

bman94

Yeah... I'm not too keen on this idea.

The purpose of homework isn't just to give homework. It's a two pronged resource. It gives students the ability to practice methods learned in an environment in which is supposed to exemplify individual study habits. It gives educators the data they need for lesson modification and intervention signs. If 9/10 students got 80% or higher then mastery was achieved and that there must be an intervention in place for that one student to help them understand that concept. You don't want to wait until the test to know that this student needs help. But if all 10 students got mixed results on the homework ranging from 40-90% correct then that educator must reteach that lesson and teach it in another way. Again you don't want to wait until the test or a major assessment to find out this data.

Futhermore reading doesn't solve everything. If a student is struggling in math then reading isn't helping that situation. Neither for other aspects as writing skills, scientific thinking and analysis as well as hands on project based learning. Furthermore from an educator's standpoint: Let's say you only have a 40 minute math block. With no homework or additional reinforcement, that student isn't going to touch another math concept until the next day. So for those who understood the concept in that 40 minutes great, for those who half way understood still have a lack or clarity or practice at that concept and more importantly they did not have a chance at learning that subject WITHOUT guided practice. This handicaps what the student can do on their own which is the most important aspect because of standardized testing.

And look, let's be real. Simply saying read 20 minutes a day isn't going to be a totally accurate representation. Reading logs can be falsified. Parent involvement can be extremely low. Even with assessments tied to reading assignments, those can either be cheated with group communication or services like Sparknotes or completely skipped altogether by students. With the many distractions kids have in this modern age I don't feel like this is the best way to go about this.

Just curious, but is homework actually proven to be beneficial to learning? I know it really comes down to repetition but having kids do so many assignments over numerous classes (I know this particularly has to do with elementary ages), do the benefits get dilluted as more information needs to be absorbed?

Top Bottom