• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

japtor

Is Nintendo going to have a pre-TGS conference like they did last year?
Well September 13th is before TGS, so yeah there'll at least be the thing in NY. Whether they have a Nintendo Direct or something too we don't know. The last one was announced like a day ahead. If there is something online only I'm guessing they'll just mention it at the conference.

I take it, based on information at hand as well as it would only make sense for Nintendo to provide a decent tesselator if they were providing one to begin with (else why bother?) you have faith that it will not be a crippled tesselator?

Could some of the refinements seen in the showfloor version of the bird demo E3|2011 compared to the on-stage version be accredited to a tesselator? The more rounded birds feathers for instance?

It's plausible that happened in between demo version, though it could have just been them cleaning it up some more.

As for faith, I can only say I hope that common sense prevailed which is what seemed to be indicated to me.

Here's another nugget I got when I asked about the tessellation unit back in Jan. 2012, though nothing specific about the tess unit.

Anyway, things are shaping up now with the new year. There was some anxiety with some less close third parties about what they were doing with GPU side, whether things were going to be left in the past... but it looks more modern now. You know, there simply wasn't actual U GPU data in third party hands this time last year, just the target range and R700 reference GPU for porting 360 titles to the new cafe control. Maybe now they finally can get to start debugging of the specifics and start showing a difference...

That depends entirely on the bus width and clock speed. DDR3 at 750MHz on a 128 bit bus will give you both higher bandwidth and lower latency than GDDR5 at 500MHz on a 64 bit bus. Of course there's no point putting GDDR5 on a 64 bit bus, but I hope you get my point.

Anyway, DDR3 and GDDR5 are the only options for a console releasing this year, and not only is DDR3 cheaper, but I'd guess Nintendo would prefer the latency benefits of DDR3 in any case. Furthermore, having it as a common pool is cheaper, makes things easier on developers, and allows Nintendo to free up RAM from the OS for games with firmware upgrades down the line.

I agree that depending on the clock, DDR3 would win out for Nintendo. The latency for GDDR5 would likely be very bad at 500Mhz.

magash

I agree that depending on the clock, DDR3 would win out for Nintendo. The latency for GDDR5 would likely be very bad at 500Mhz.

Must the two memory options for the Wii U be DDR3 or GDDR5? historically speaking Nintendo does make use of exotic memory options like Rambus's RDRAM on the N64 or the 3DS's FCRAM from Fujitsu.

You've also got to take the density of each into account. The higher density of DDR3 means they can squeeze 512MB onto a chip rather than the 256MB they would be stuck with for GDDR5. And unless the density of GDDR5 doubles before the PS4 and especially the 720 are released we may see them both also using DDR3. 2-4GB for the PS4 would mean 8-16 chips of GDDR5 and 6-8GB for the 720 would mean a ridiculous 24-32 chips of GDDR5.

I guess split pools is a possibility but then it's going to be more of a pain in the arse to develop for, developers love unified RAM for good reason.

Unless both Sony and Microsoft are going to 3D stack it..? But then that's going to raise the BOM for them by a fair old chunk, unless I'm mistaken..? Not too clued up on that process tbh.

Must the two memory options for the Wii U be DDR3 or GDDR5? historically speaking Nintendo does make use of exotic memory options like Rambus's RDRAM on the N64 or the 3DS's FCRAM from Fujitsu.

Like snow said, density is an issue. Now that we are talking about consoles needing 1+GB of memory, exotic options are way less likely. Four DDR3 chips (for 2GB) will be way cheaper than eight GDDR5 chips.

magash

Like snow said, density is an issue. Now that we are talking about consoles needing 1+GB of memory, exotic options are way less likely. Four DDR3 chips (for 2GB) will be way cheaper than eight GDDR5 chips.

What about XDR2 from Rambus? will it be a good option? How does its density compare to DDR3 and GDDR5?

What about XDR2 from Rambus? will it be a good option? How does its density compare to DDR3 and GDDR5?

As Bgassassin has said it doesn't exist. It was designed by Rambus years ago and none of the memory manufacturers are going anywhere near it as far as I know.

Interesting...I just think that it might be so "like Nintendo" to go for something a little less conventional like they did with the 3DS.

I'm sure if there was something with a large enough density, that would also be affordable, they would look at it.

As Bgassassin has said it doesn't exist. It was designed by Rambus years ago and none of the memory manufacturers are going anywhere near it as far as I know.

Yeah I don't think it ever made it past "being on paper".

Hiltz

Key word "announced" ;)
I wonder if the whole bioshock, Borderlands, and GTAV situations are is more 2k's fault then that of the developers since randy pitchford and ken levine have both showed interest in the wii u

According to Gearbox Studios:

We really like the Wii U. I think it's a really cool platform. I like what they're doing — obviously with the touchscreen — and it will be interesting to see what Microsoft do with their approach to that idea. It's one of those problems of the Wii: the only people who have ever made a lot of money on the Wii is Nintendo.So we're really excited to bring Aliens: Colonial Marines to it. And we're going to do a wait and see approach, our publisher 2K is going to see whether they're going to go with that.If Borderlands 2 was on the Wii U, the thing I would be most excited about is inventory management: it would be amazing on that, it would just be fantastic. And I think the artwork would look really good, with the way they can deal with the resolutions and textures, I think it's a really good console.

Terrell

Wonder why he specifically mentions resolution and textures. Is there something in the design that makes implementation of either of those things less demanding than the current way they're done? I guess what I'm asking is if Nintendo has designed the console with a performance shortcut.

Seik

Banned
This Gearbox commentary about the usefulness of the Gamepad for the inventory made me realized how much good it could be with Minecraft.

totowhoa

Banned
Hey, does anybody know what time the Nintendo Direct will be streaming this week? I asked a few days ago but didn't get an answer. It's on my birthday so I want to keep an hour open for that if possible.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What does "hurts consoles rep and bad for 3rd parties mean"? Is that in reference to the long term and issues with representing the console as next gen?

It's confusing but I think it was a Twitter user that tweeted him that as a result of the Destructoid article. Ken Levine appears to have just replied with "No Wii U version confirmed."

EDIT: Just checked and it appears the Twitter user in question is the writer of the Destructoid article in the first place....

Seance

Banned
We really like the Wii U. I think it's a really cool platform. I like what they're doing — obviously with the touchscreen — and it will be interesting to see what Microsoft do with their approach to that idea. It's one of those problems of the Wii: the only people who have ever made a lot of money on the Wii is Nintendo.So we're really excited to bring Aliens: Colonial Marines to it. And we're going to do a wait and see approach, our publisher 2K is going to see whether they're going to go with that.If Borderlands 2 was on the Wii U, the thing I would be most excited about is inventory management: it would be amazing on that, it would just be fantastic. And I think the artwork would look really good, with the way they can deal with the resolutions and textures, I think it's a really good console.
This screams "WiiU on par with PS360" to me.

NateDrake

Hey, does anybody know what time the Nintendo Direct will be streaming this week? I asked a few days ago but didn't get an answer. It's on my birthday so I want to keep an hour open for that if possible.

What Nintendo Direct? Nintendo has a Wii U media event on Sept 13 at 10am Eastern. No word if there will be a live-stream, yet.

Wonder why he specifically mentions resolution and textures. Is there something in the design that makes implementation of either of those things less demanding than the current way they're done? I guess what I'm asking is if Nintendo has designed the console with a performance shortcut.

Someone more tech-savvy can correct me, but I believe the >2x RAM available for games would be of use for textures and more eDRAM will provide "free AA" at HD resolutions?

The shortcut is more memory (both system and eDRAM) and better hardware. :)

So we know what we need to do, right? Buy Aliens on Wii U!
I intended to anyways. The idea of the screen acting like it did in the movies = win.

I'm on this bandwagon on all accounts.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing we more or less know is that AMD started working on the chip in mid 2009, which explains the R700 baseline, but work didn't finish until at least mid 2011. And we have this statement from Golem.de (large German IT site):

http://www.golem.de/1106/84082.html

Basically, AMD told Golem.de that the GPU is a custom design created specifically for Nintendo, not just a modified version of any off-the-shelf Radeon.

No. Nintendo and AMD spent more than two years figuring out how to down-clock an 4670M that will ship at 55nm, every non Nin*** knows that.

OniShiro

Banned
I'm not sure how you could interpret that statement that way...at all really

Resolution and textures just means more GPU RAM, better specs should be something like model detail, polygon count, effects, tesselation..... But anyway, just speculation at this point

Initial tweet doesnt even make any sense. How would bringing the game to an additional console somehow hurt sales.

You mean this? "RT @TronKnotts: ports to the Wii U will hurt the consoles rep and 3rd parties sales" - what he's saying is, if the Wii U only gets tons of ports, it will hurt the console's reputation, which in turn will hurt 3rd party game sales. And Levine is responding by saying that no port has been announced.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Resolution and textures just means more GPU RAM, better specs should be something like model detail, polygon count, effects, tesselation..... But anyway, just speculation at this point
What? DO you expect higher detailed models? None does that even for the PC port...

Van Owen

Banned
Pitchford never really makes statements in comparison to how powerful the system is. He'll say the CPU is "really great" or something like that, but it could still be comparable to current gen. He might say the system is more powerful, but he's careful not to say its THAT much more powerful torshavn current consoles.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I know models are always made more detailed by the modellers, and then optimized for the consoles / PC.

Yes, and the PC and consoles share the same ones. Even the textures are mostly the same except in exceptional cases like Crysis 2 with a post launch patch.

Pitchford never really makes statements in comparison to how powerful the system is. He'll say the CPU is "really great" or something like that, but it could still be comparable to current gen. He might say the system is more powerful, but he's careful not to say its THAT much more powerful torshavn current consoles.

Right on cue.

Hiltz

So we know what we need to do, right? Buy Aliens on Wii U!
I intended to anyways. The idea of the screen acting like it did in the movies = win.

Actualy, Aliens: Colonial Marines is being published by Sega so 2K Games has nothing to do with that. As for 2K Games itself, the publisher had an interview with Game Industry International just last month.

Q: Randy Pitchford has said some positive things about the Wii U. What are your feelings about Nintendo's new hardware?

Christoph Hartmann: In general, we at 2K are always going to be positive about new hardware out there, but we are also cautious about things we aren't experienced with. We don't want to flood the market; we'd rather pick our opportunity and work well on our projects. About the Wii U itself, Nintendo is such an impressive company, they have over and over again put handheld and consoles out that are impressive. They have so much experience that I am sure they are going to do it again. With any new console, especially where something original is added, it will take time for consumers to understand it and see the beauty of it. I know that they have such clever people at Nintendo that people will see the beauty of the console, though it may take some time.

Q: So would you say that 2K is taking a more cautious approach to the new console? It seems to be the opposite of Ubisoft, who are very gung-ho about the Wii U launch. How does it fit for 2K?

Christoph Hartmann: It is not different from what we have always done. We are very careful and very selective here. When you look at the Wii, we didn't do many titles, but we put out Carnival Games, which did very well. It was probably one of the best titles. While you can't plan for it all the time, we don't throw 10 things against the wall and assume that two stick. I throw two at the wall and hope two stick, perhaps one. We have a very different approach, which has a lot to do with the size of the organization and the mindset of the organization. We always focus on one thing, and we are a very different organization than a lot of the other publishers out there.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

jerd

This screams "WiiU on par with PS360" to me.

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF-2.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Right on cue.

Well, he's not exactly wrong, even if his spin is typically cynical. Pitchford is like any CEO, face of a company. When he talks about internal projects he uses buzz words and marketing dribble that makes everything look good, as it's not in his nor anybody else's interest to do otherwise. He's knowledgeable in all the right areas, but his choice of wording is too unspecific to really derive anything of substance.

Ahhh, so no change in how much of a performance hit it takes to implement, just more wiggle room to do it the same way as usual. Meh, almost makes it not worth mentioning, then.

I wouldn't go that far. He's telling us that for a multi-plat game they are actually going to utilize what Wii U can provide over PS360 instead of just a straight port.

He's attracted to the scent of hardware talk, I swear. I take the blame for this one, guys, my bad.

Haha. Only when it can be used to keep Wii U in line with current gen.

Well, he's not exactly wrong, even if his spin is typically cynical. Pitchford is like any CEO, face of a company. When he talks about internal projects he uses buzz words and marketing dribble that makes everything look good, as it's not in his nor anybody else's interest to do otherwise. He's knowledgeable in all the right areas, but his choice of wording is too unspecific to really derive anything of substance.

Not about him being right or wrong. It's about him only coming in to discuss that specific subject when we cycle through all types of topics. He's free to do it, but he's become too predictable when it comes to posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom