• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans retro beat 'em up Kickstarter is on

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Where these guys ever popular in the UK ? I don't recall their films ever being shown on tv here and I never saw then on video either. I never grew up with them tbh. I grew up more with Clint Eastwoods films, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Bros etc.

What a cool idea for a game though!

DemWalls

I'm from continental Europe (Netherlands) and I've never heard of them. There's more to us than just Germany you know.

That said, this looks really good.

Heh, maybe I could have worded it better, but I certainly wasn't implying that if you're from Europe and don't know them you're weird.

Kiske

My childhood heroes.

Slaps, beans and laughters. :D

Definitely backing it.

Just for the record, I'm from the french speaking part of Switerland. Their movies were pretty famous in France too and of course in Italy. Didn't know they were so popular in Germany too!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
"There's no baddest bad guy than a good guy turning bad"

I loved Carlo "Bud" Pedersoli's way of life, R.I.P.
His motto was "Futtitenne!" (Napolitean slang for "Fuck it/Don't give a fuck"). He was also a great athlete, off the top of my head iirc he was the 1st Italian *ever* to record a time under the 1m barrier 100mt fs swimming and was crowned Italian Champ *eleven* times; He was also 2 times an Olympic Semifinalist for 100mt swimming fs; Waterpolo Team gold medalist in Barcelona's Mediterranean Games; played in Lazio SS' Rugby team and dabbled in semipro boxing... probably a bunch of other shit... I mean, dunno if you ever seen pics of him in the '50s but he looked like a Greek God.

lefantome

Where these guys ever popular in the UK ? I don't recall their films ever being shown on tv here and I never saw then on video either. I never grew up with them tbh. I grew up more with Clint Eastwoods films, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Bros etc.

What a cool idea for a game though!

No they weren't but it's never too late to watch one.
If you don't have any problems with the western genre I suggest you to start with They call him Trinity

My childhood heroes.

Slaps, beans and laughters. :D

Definitely backing it.

Just for the record, I'm from the french speaking part of Switerland. Their movies were pretty famous in France too and of course in Italy. Didn't know they were so popular in Germany too!

I think they are much more popular in Germany than France.
I'm not sure about Spain, any spaniards here?
I know that they got some of the movies but my spanish friend don't know much about them.

I only now discovered this Kickstarter and I backed it so hard.

I grew up with Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies and until today I never thought about the idea of having a sidescroll beat 'em up based on their movies.
This is genius.
And the pixel art and animation is top notch.

Really excited.

The Kickstarter recently crossed the 100k € mark so only 30k € more are needed with 34 days to go.

Please make this happen. The game looks really sweet and I really hope it plays as well as it looks.

Looks great. I see lots of rotoscopy on the pixelarr.
Also surprising there was never a beat'm up of this two in the 90's, because it works so well. Asterix was not really known aside from europe either and they had beat'm ups.

Bud and Terence are also legends in Spain. Bud's passing was one of my saddest days this year.

I'm not sure about Spain, any spaniards here?
I know that they got some of the movies but my spanish friend don't know much about them.

Yup, they were HUGE here.
I still remember not so many years ago Bud slapping people on the street on a spanish commercial because he couldnt find a working ATM of his Bank near him lol (the commercial was about you could use an ATM of any bank that had a comission fee if the ATM of your bank near you was broken or unavailble, and you bank will repay you that comission fee doubled).
EDIT, here it is, 2009 commercial:
https://youtu.be/Sjc_mz6ymaE

Theres also some channels sometimes still airing their movies on lazy afternoons with other westerns. My grandad loves those afternoons. It surprises me that your friend doesnt know about them. The news about Bud's death was also pretty big here.

"There's no baddest bad guy than a good guy turning bad"

I loved Carlo "Bud" Pedersoli's way of life, R.I.P.
His motto was "Futtitenne!" (Napolitean slang for "Fuck it/Don't give a fuck"). He was also a great athlete, off the top of my head iirc he was the 1st Italian *ever* to record a time under the 1m barrier 100mt fs swimming and was crowned Italian Champ *eleven* times; He was also 2 times an Olympic Semifinalist for 100mt swimming fs; Waterpolo Team gold medalist in Barcelona's Mediterranean Games; played in Lazio SS' Rugby team and dabbled in semipro boxing... probably a bunch of other shit... I mean, dunno if you ever seen pics of him in the '50s but he looked like a Greek God.

This always surprises people, but yeah hahaha
bsaoc1dfbeimkajynbgfzy_yory1.png

disap.ed

lol

Knowing who Bud Spencer is (or not) has becoming a running joke at work; if you know who he is, you're old. We even had a rule that most people under 30 don't know who they are; and we're almost 100% correct

I am feeling old now (33) :(

Didn't know they were so popular in Germany too!

They were, in all German speaking regions in Europe. Because the German dub was absolutely brillant. A guy named Rainer Brandt wrote the dialogues and he was famous for his puns and sometimes a little vulgar jokes.
Actually, the German dialogues and voices were far superior to the original (a case which is quite rare). Many lines were rewritten and added lots of hilarious humor. I compared many scenes and it was quite often that even in scenes where no one was speaking in the original or said nothing remarkable, one of the legendary funny oneliners were placed in the German version.

Quite some people of my age still recite lines from these movies.

JP

Ha, that looks like fun. They're so close to the target with 34 days still to go, because of that I'm pretty sure it will hit consoles but I'm waiting until they confirm a PS4 version as a reward and then they can have my money.
giphy.gif

Used to love their films as a child but... i really can't justify backing this UNLESS it will also be a competent game. Do we have any way of finding out besides watching the trailer that is? I mean, as it stands, it looks like a pretty standard 2d Beat em up with some neat cut scenes right?

derFeef

So much memories. I watched those movies always when they were on, sometimes together with my grandpa and/or dad. So backed.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man i have waited an entire life for a beat'em up with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill! Bonus for old adventure game looking cut scenes!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm from continental Europe (Netherlands) and I've never heard of them. There's more to us than just Germany you know.

That said, this looks really good.
You've never seen a Vier Vuisten film? RTL4 (and later 7) showed them quite often.
I grew up with these movies. Some of them were pretty mediocre but I love 'em to death.

This is one of those dream games, and it looks like they nailed the look and feel of the fights. Awesome news, made my day.

Used to love their films as a child but... i really can't justify backing this UNLESS it will also be a competent game. Do we have any way of finding out besides watching the trailer that is? I mean, as it stands, it looks like a pretty standard 2d Beat em up with some neat cut scenes right?

Apparently the team made a game under the name of "Schiaffi & Fagioli" (which apparently means Slaps & Beans in Italian) for a Spaghetti Western themed game jam.
A quick Google search brought up this page where you can download that particular version:
https://lochiamavanotriniteam.itch.io/schiaffifagioli

Haven't played it yet but my guess is that the full game will play a lot like this one except more fleshed out.

Genio88

Awesome, can't wait for the Don Matteo game now, a great open world adventure when you go around the city with your bike solving crimes

I mean the animation is neat and all, but from the clips it looks very slow and stilted to play.

Edit: The demo they released previously is dreadful.

disap.ed

Ain't that the truth. The German synchro is a major part of the success of Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies in Germany. They tweaked the movies to an incredible extent, often talking over silent scenes and using a distinct dialect (Schnodderdeutsch) that added a unique quality that's hard to put into words.

A shame Bud Spencer's voice Wolfgang Hess also already passed away this year :(

I mean the animation is neat and all, but from the clips it looks very slow and stilted to play.

Edit: The demo they released previously is dreadful.

I have to agree. Slightly pessimistic about this.

abracadaver

Game is coming out soon!

From the newsletter:

Kickstarter backers who are eligible for the closed beta will receive their download key on Monday, December 4, 2017. We're doing our best to bring the Bud Spencer and Terence Hill Universe back to life in this game! Slaps And Beans will be released as Early Access Version on December 15, 2017. In the weeks following its release, there will be numerous updates with graphic and gameplay improvements. Get ready for a 2018 with great DLCs, upgrades, inevitable bug fixes and new features and levels. Kickstarter backer rewards will be available from January 2018.

KemoSabe

Normally I hate dubs but in this case the German comedy dub is the best one imo.
Will buy.
"Er hat unsere Mutter eine alte Hure genannt
- na und da hat er doch Recht...
- na so alt ist sie nun auch wieder nicht."

Dunki

Normally I hate dubs but in this case the German comedy dub is the best one imo.
Will buy.
"Er hat unsere Mutter eine alte Hure genannt
- na und da hat er doch Recht...
- na so alt ist sie nun auch wieder nicht."

Can not wait until Gronkh plays this game XD

Fuz

Banned
Can't believe this is actually coming out.

Trinity is my favourite movie ever. Think I've seen it at least 30 times and it alway, always makes me laugh.

danmaku

Out now? Wow, I need to download it.

I tried the demo for the backers a few days ago (just played half an hour or so) and it's a pretty good beat'em up. It feels a bit stiff and the characters don't seem to have combo strings; in other words, pressing the same attack button will repeat the same move over and over, while most beat'em ups have some sort of autocombo when you keep pressing the same button. There's a combo system, though, and the characters have special moves and even a dedicated meter for them. I'm not sure how it works, but it's nice to have. You also have a block button and you can pick up items and even enemies from the ground. Of course one of the items is a frying pan full of beans!
Also, pixel art is gorgeous and I love the little dialogues between the characters that emulate the style of their movies.
It looks like a decent game by itself, but the license is what really sells it. If you like Bud&Terence, you'll love this game.

Top Bottom