• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED cancels Grand Knights History (PSP)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its 2012 and still I am not getting to play quality japanese games ever.

Japanese companies need to sit down and have a real fucking think about how they can improve this situation, because jesus christ. Things seem worse now than the 8-32 bit generations. The PSP alone now has more total games on it I'll never get to play than some consoles have in their complete library.

Ketsui

Neo Member
Maybe someone else posted this before, didn't have time to go through all the complaints, buuuuuut, Rising Star Games is releasing this in Europe, and the Vita is region free, so no need for tears really :)

Macstorm

Maybe someone else posted this before, didn't have time to go through all the complaints, buuuuuut, Rising Star Games is releasing this in Europe, and the Vita is region free, so no need for tears really :)

Yeah, Rising Star tends to take US localizations and shapes them up for a European release. And the issue is with the developer, not the publisher, so be expecting a cancellation from RSG soon, too.

duckroll

Sorry to break the news to you, but there isn't going to be anything to release in US or Europe or anywhere that is not Japan.

Is the online stuff IP locked like the Japanese version? If so, that really doesn't change much for Americans.

edit: BOOM, duckroll'd

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is pretty much the first time in a while that I feel justified in importing. I wanted justification...but not like this. Not like this. :'(

This is pretty much the first time in a while that I feel justified in importing. I wanted justification...but not like this. Not like this. :'(

If you're going to import, just be aware that the online portion of the game, which is its primary draw, is IP locked for anyone outside Japan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If you're going to import, just be aware that the online portion of the game, which is its primary draw, is IP locked for anyone outside Japan.

I bought the game when it came out, or did you forget the import thread I made way back when the game came out? :)

(You can get around the IP block by using a JP proxy, but it's not fun)

Wow, really? Terrible. :/

Yeah, you can use a proxy, but they are trying their very best to keep foreigners out.

duckroll

That's awful. And with all the issues VW seems to be having, I wouldn't doubt them closing down servers before too long either.

Wouldn't the servers be run by the publisher (in this case MMV I think) instead? I don't actually know if that's the case, but usually the developer doesn't run the servers for an online service, since they wouldn't be the ones paying for the game's development and support.

Dude, I bought the game when it came out, or did you forget the import thread I made way back when the game came out? :)

(You can get around the IP block by using a JP proxy, but it's not fun)

Ah, I did forget about that; my apologies. I pretty much forgot about the game after I read about the IP block. At least I got some pretty art.

thetrin

Ah, I did forget about that; my apologies. I pretty much forgot about the game after I read about the IP block. At least I got some pretty art.

No reason to apologize!

It's really unfortunate that they IP blocked the online. It was awful because they only instituted after a week. A bunch of players in all three kingdoms suddenly disappeared. It was pretty shitty.

Macstorm

Wouldn't the servers be run by the publisher (in this case MMV I think) instead? I don't actually know if that's the case, but usually the developer doesn't run the servers for an online service, since they wouldn't be the ones paying for the game's development and support.

True, I don't really know how that works, so you're right it could totally be MMV running them in this case. Regardless, it's IP-blocked so no point in importing from the US anyways.

Ketsui

Neo Member
Correct me if Im wrong, but Death Smiles II hasn't been released in the US has it? Because RSG published it in Europe, as well as the to be released Akai Katana Shin. Aksys Games is also distributing Akai Katana Shin for Rising Star Games, so I don't think that Grand Knights History will be cancelled in Europe. *fingers crossed*

thetrin

Let it go, Indiana. Let it go.

Macstorm

Correct me if Im wrong, but Death Smiles II hasn't been released in the US has it? Because RSG published it in Europe, as well as the to be released Akai Katana Shin. Aksys Games is also distributing Akai Katana Shin for Rising Star Games, so I don't think that Grand Knights History will be cancelled in Europe. *fingers crossed*

Keep believing. Again, this is more an issue with the developer than the publisher.

wrowa

The sole reason the US localization of GKH was cancelled is that Vanillaware are busy developing Dragon's Crown and don't have any resources left to do the programming work involved in a localization.

RSG is as dependant on Vanillaware as XSEED. If Vanillaware don't want/can't to their part of the localization, then there won't be a localized version period.

Torraz

According to gamefaqs, deathsmiles 2 has only been released in the US as a games on demand title and not in the EU at all.

Kyoufu

If I was Sony I would bleed money into a studio dedicated on localising 3rd party games that 3rd parties can't/won't bring over. They could use all the games they get overseas.

Oh well. Stupid IP lock :(

thetrin

As I said earlier in the thread, the real tragedy is that I think the online war function within the game would have gone over quite well in the states.

I wish there were more games with a similar online model.

wrowa

According to gamefaqs, deathsmiles 2 has only been released in the US as a games on demand title and not in the EU at all.

I think he was referring to DoDonPachi Ressurection which to my knowledge was indeed only published in Europe but not in the US.

Death Smiles II got a US release on Games on Demand, so your theory doesn't hold. Abandon all hope.

Edit: Beaten

randomkid

Man, I'm hearing reports that this game is like 1000 yen or less in a lot of bomba bins, that's pretty crazy.

Well in any case, $25 paypal for any kind soul who wants to ship me a copy in Amurrica. I want to try it out badly enough that the online issues aren't even a concern. Kinda sad that it's come to this haha.

fates

While unfortunate, not entirely unexpected.

... isn't this the same kind of thing that killed Dragon Quest IV PS1 here? Company overseas having trouble causing the localization to crash?

With all the unfair hate on XSEED I've seen today, I'm snippy about it and it's hard to read sarcasm in text.

Well, I like XSEED as much as the next guy... but lets be fair, they've disappointed pretty heavily with the Trails in the Sky 2 thing. It would be nice to at least have had 2 because it wraps up the story.

omgfloofy

Banned
but lets be fair, they've disappointed pretty heavily with the Trails in the Sky 2 thing. It would be nice to at least have had 2 because it wraps up the story.

What 'thing?' Because, to be honest, 'gigantic' doesn't even begin to describe the game's script (3 million characters when FC's only had 1.5?). They're still working on it- Tom confirmed this as of yesterday, in fact. They've not said anything because there's nothing really to say, update-wise on it.

I've also seen a tweet from Falcom in the past couple of weeks that (I think) they've been looking into dealing with the 'SC isn't on PSN' issue, as it's their only title not on PSN.

Toshihiro Kondo (Falcom's president) has said (I think it was in the GameInformer interview last year?) that they will do what they can to see us get Second Chapter, because he didn't believe it was right for us to have the first game without the ending of the story.

Just because nothing has been said doesn't mean nothing's being done. We have both sides of the ocean pulling for this to be released.

EDIT: Whoops. I left out a pretty important word. Bolded it so you can know which one I"m talking about. lawl.

Its 2012 and still I am not getting to play quality japanese games ever.

Japanese companies need to sit down and have a real fucking think about how they can improve this situation, because jesus christ. Things seem worse now than the 8-32 bit generations. The PSP alone now has more total games on it I'll never get to play than some consoles have in their complete library.

They need more money and manpower to do that, and others besides us JRPG core need to wake back up to great JRPGs and buy them to pay for that. It's that "simple".

jorgeton

What 'thing?' Because, to be honest, 'gigantic' doesn't even begin to describe the game's script (3 million characters when FC's only had 1.5?). They're still working on it- Tom confirmed this as of yesterday, in fact. They've not said anything because there's nothing really to say, update-wise on it.

I've also seen a tweet from Falcom in the past couple of weeks that (I think) they've been looking into dealing with the 'SC isn't on PSN' issue, as it's their only title on PSN.

Toshihiro Kondo (Falcom's president) has said (I think it was in the GameInformer interview last year?) that they will do what they can to see us get Second Chapter, because he didn't believe it was right for us to have the first game without the ending of the story.

Just because nothing has been said doesn't mean nothing's being done. We have both sides of the ocean pulling for this to be released.

Bless you for this update. It has lifted my spirits.

But, back on topic, sad about Grand Knights. Maybe VW will pick the ball up again once Dragon's Crown is done? It seems like that project is an "all hands on deck" kind of deal.

Either way, Xseed is getting more of my money this year with Last Story, if nothing else.

Top Bottom