• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i7 Alienware Alpha $374 at gamestop

bomblord1

Banned
I don't know if this is a pricing error or what. Dell was just selling the i3 variant of this Black Friday for $299 and it sold out almost instantly.

This is the Steam OS version but installing windows should be trivial.
capturen5sho.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/consoles/alienware-steam-machine-i7-1tb/121863
Intel Core i7 - 4765T Quad Core
nVidia GeForce GTX GPU w/2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3
1TB 7200RPM HDD
2x2 802.11 Wireless Card
Steam Controller

Keep in mind this is the 4th gen iseries variant with a GPU slightly above the 750ti. It should moderately outperform both the PS4 and Xbox One in any cross platform games. It would make a great HTPC or Media Center Box.

Krakn3Dfx

Looks like it runs GTAV at 1080p Very High in the 40-50fps range. With the 2GB VRAM limit, every big game that's come out in the last couple of years is going to be very YMMV, but for well optimized titles, they should at least be playable at 1080/30 on it. $375 should be the regular price for this though, $700+ normally is ridiculous.

drotahorror

Keep in mind this is the 4th gen iseries variant with a GPU slightly above the 750ti. It should moderately outperform both the PS4 and Xbox One in any cross platform games. It would make a great HTPC or Media Center Box.

Has that ship kind of sailed though? Can a 750ti play Watch Dogs 2, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, basically any new release this year at similar settings and framerate as a ps4? We used to see comparisons with a 750ti setup vs PS4/XB1 but I haven't seen one in a while from Digital Foundry or NXGamer.

bomblord1

Banned
This is what I was talking about
OriginalPng

Not sure how these things work, but it could be helpful.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acce...8:901pdb6671:c&ven2=:&ven3=105103405962847392

As far as I'm aware this does not work on the Alpha.

Has that ship kind of sailed though? Can a 750ti play Watch Dogs 2, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, basically any new release this year at similar settings and framerate as a ps4? We used to see comparisons with a 750ti setup vs PS4/XB1 but I haven't seen one in a while from Digital Foundry or NXGamer.

Well I mean the card hasn't become weaker.

TheYanger

It's not like the pc hardware gets weaker compared to the static console setup. My old 750ti rig with a worse processor than this can absolutely play the same games better than either console (I own several games on both and only recently upgraded, trust me). You don't see those comparisons anymore because those aren't what people are buying anymore for PC gaming. If you've never been a PC gamer before and are happy with what current consoles can do but wouldn't mind an upgrade, this is a very solid deal.

Lister

Banned

Of course it can. Better than a PS4 in most cases.

Guess Who

Banned
I wish there were better discounts on the R2 version. Hesitant to spend as much as they want on one with only a GTX 960.

scitek

I've found my laptop with an 860m can play most games (including Gears of War 4, Deus Ex: MD) on high settings at 900p.

If you're not a stickler for image quality, that can still look pretty good on a 1080p TV.

robotrock

Banned
It will also make your overwatch look like shit as per the left image
QFlQOYt.png

Meanwhile a this will run it at actual good settings at 60 easy.

I run Overwatch on a 750 and it recommends me to move the resolution slider to 67% out of 1080p, so I did. Runs great, probably looks just like that though.

Gotta test and see if native 1080p will still run the same

I recently bought the i3 500 GB one which Gamestop had for $220 or something like that. It has the same GPU but lesser RAM, CPU, and HDD (which can all be upgraded anyway).

Installing Windows on it is easy, it's just a normal PC with a normal BIOS, so yeah.

TheYanger

hardly seems worth it at all for those specs and the lack of upgradability

The lack of upgradeability is the downside, but we're looking at better than console specs at console prices. If you don't have a gaming PC there are TONS and TONS of games you're missing out on. It's a good deal.

StereoVsn

Yea. Still not worth it. Just save a bit more and buy your own components.

It's a tiny PC at $375. If the size is not an issue, yeah, no point of this, but this is an absolutely a great price for a very small PC with a warranty that can do streaming, emulation, play most games at mid settings at 1080p, etc... just needs SSD love.

MiguelItUp

It's a custom GPU so there really isn't an exact equivalent. What you are seeing is actually pretty specific.

Interesting. I feel like it'd be nice if there was some kind of quip referring to it being the equivalent of "this" or "that" particular GPU.

MUnited83

For you.
Yea. Still not worth it. Just save a bit more and buy your own components.

It's very much worth it depending on the use and form factor you prefer. I wouldn't use this as my main PC gaming machine, but I'd use the hell out of it as a emulator and media center under my TV.

Lister

Banned
The lack of upgradeability is the downside, but we're looking at better than console specs at console prices. If you don't have a gaming PC there are TONS and TONS of games you're missing out on. It's a good deal.

I think this is the perspective from whihch this is relaly a steal.

If you're a console gamer that is looking at PC game threads and wonders when or will this game ever come to my console.

If you're a more casual gamer looking for a PC upgrade that has a tiny footprint and can run a lot of amazing PC games, better than a PS4.

If you have the disposable income and are looking for a PC gaming TV extender with some more muscle than somethign like a Steam link.

Those are good buy cases, IMHO.

You're getting a lot of hardware muscle for a very good price, no denying that. Perfect entry point for a lot of console only Gaffers who crave PC games.

Strider

Even if you wanna stick to buying AAA games on PS4/XB1 it's a capable PC at a great price that also gives you access to tons of games that will never make it to consoles... Seems pretty decent to me as an entry point to PC gaming.

Top Bottom