• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'll be cautiously optimistic they can recapture the amazing design of 1.

In the back of my mind I know the awful design choices of 2 and 3 will probably still be there, though.

ME2 lost some customization, but the combat of 1 was so pointless. It does not hold up today. If you mean stuff like atmosphere and pacing then I would tend to agree.

Omega

Banned
-The Mako is back, they showed video of it, and there are images of it below. It's apparently quite fast now.
-"Building a game about exploring places, so you need a vehicle for that "

-"New Mass Effect is focused on exploration of planets, Mako is meant to be fast travel on them. #SDCC"

Day 0, super mega ultimate collector edition.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Unless the game provides some sort of narrative bridge that moves the universe forward post-ME3, or has an impact on its ending somehow, I am not very interested in a game that takes place during the same timeline.

Agreed. If this game really is like Voyager and we a trapped in some new galaxy the only way I would find it to be worthwhile is if it all occurs before and during the Reaper war and when we come back to the Milk Way it will be after the Reapers are defeated and it sets up this whole new situation of a Galaxy that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat then faced with this totally new and unknown galaxy that is filled with it's own intelligent and highly advanced life. It would create an interesting scenario for ME5.

They probably cant think of how to make a Mass Effect game without the Citadel, reapers, geth, genophage, etc.....

I know Bioware think its probably a good idea to not mess with the ME3 story but I cant imagine the fan base would care if they bent the ME3 ending a little for the sake of setting up the next saga. Otherwise everything will have zero weight because in the end nothing can happen that would effect the other 3 games.

Just set the game a hundred years later. Kill off and add a few races in the gap. Have some guy say the reaper invasion is so long ago no one is 100% sure what happened at the end.

Go from there.

Fattness

Neo Member
The designs of the Armor look alright, the Mako is ok but I want it to be a big tank not just a minivan only for transportation. The reluctance to give a clear answer on when and where the game takes place has me greatly concerned though. Making it take place during the same time period / era of Shepard is a really lazy idea that really irritates me primarily because the most important and interesting story from that era is Shepard's and any other story will seem unimportant by comparison.

i-Lo

Oh and for fuck's sake Bioware, kindly refrain from:

• Giving heels to Asari. Why, why, why?
  • Using stock photos of humans and later modifying them to make Quarian

Amongst a myriad of things that were creatively questionable, those two felt very embarrassing.

DedValve

Banned

Amongst a myriad of things that creatively questionable, those two felt very embarrassing.

Nothing beats tali. They couldn't even be assed to get her hands right.

Omega

Banned

Amongst a myriad of things that were creatively questionable, those two felt very embarrassing.

in a franchise where they did so much wrong, that's what stands out to you?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hope bioware is taking some notes from destiny. Hope we can customize the character to Asari rather than human. i would love to play as a badass asari

The designs of the Armor look alright, the Mako is ok but I want it to be a big tank not just a minivan only for transportation. The reluctance to give a clear answer on when and where the game takes place has me greatly concerned though. Making it take place during the same time period / era of Shepard is a really lazy idea that really irritates me primarily because the most important and interesting story from that era is Shepard's and any other story will seem unimportant by comparison.

The original Mako was the best of both worlds; mobile but offensive. Seems like improving on that design is the best outcome.

Adry9

Am I the only one that didn't like the exploration in ME1? I usually love it in RPGs but the planets looked empty and boring.

PS: Gaf don't kill me pls.

Deadbeat

Banned
I want to be excited for this game, but unless it has the explorative nature and RPG depth of Mass Effect 1, Im not all that interested.
Am I the only one that didn't like the exploration in ME1? I usually love it in RPGs but the planets looked empty and boring.

I can understand not liking it because of the copy/pasting, but it was an idea that should have been expanded upon, not abandoned completely.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
How can you be driving around a Systems Alliance Mako in a different galaxy, during the timeline of 1-3?

The reapers were just outside the galaxy, not in another one, and relays didn't go to other galaxies.

Huge retcons inc.

McNum

You know, I could see the new galaxy thing working out pretty well. Have the setup be that someone took Shepard's warning seriously, did the math (One Sovereign nearly took the Citadel and destroyed half a fleet, a whole fleet of Sovereigns = NOPE!), and made a plan B to send out ships with the best and brightest of the Milky Way species to another galaxy using some mass effect trickery and then destroy all records that it ever existed.

Then the new game becomes about being strangers in a strange new galaxy, exploring the great unknown, and settling down in a new home. Or set the game some generations later, completely untouched by whatever color space magic happened in the Milky Way.

Anything set during ME1-3 and I'm not interested. The ending of ME3 destroyed any interest I have in that time period.

I'd only be interested if it's after or alternate universe.

Omega

Banned

I liked it. It needed a lot of work done to it though

EAware thought that meant just putting you into corridors instead.

You know, I could see the new galaxy thing working out pretty well. Have the setup be that someone took Shepard's warning seriously, did the math (One Sovereign nearly took the Citadel and destroyed half a fleet, a whole fleet of Sovereigns = NOPE!), and made a plan B to send out ships with the best and brightest of the Milky Way species to another galaxy using some mass effect trickery and then destroy all records that it ever existed.

Then the new game becomes about being strangers in a strange new galaxy, exploring the great unknown, and settling down in a new home. Or set the game some generations later, completely untouched by whatever color space magic happened in the Milky Way.

How would you run into familiar faces under that scenario?

Coins

Banned
How can you be driving around a Systems Alliance Mako in a different galaxy, during the timeline of 1-3?

The reapers were just outside the galaxy, not in another one, and relays didn't go to other galaxies.

Huge retcons inc.

Yeah this makes no sense. Lol. Possibilities of seeing known characters in another galaxy? It can't happen.

Gaz_RB

My theory as well. Pretty much the only thing I can come up with given the information they've released.

McNum

How would you run into familiar faces under that scenario?
Well, think of any character that didn't appear after Mass Effect 2. They're potential Plan B passengers. Or the beginning of the game could be pre-launch, so you'd get to talk to the Council or Anderson or whoever before setting out.

Besides, gotta remember it's EA. If any named character shows up as a hologram to say "Good luck!" it counts for a marketing bullet point.

pargonta

no you're right they were pretty empty. the bases you went in were all copy pasted from planet to planet too. i remember it being pretty novel though. being able to just roll around getting loot and minerals and stuff. it was the vistas and the idea of an interesting world. got that scifi curiosity flowing.

Kiss me I don't smoke. This sounds fucking brilliant.

-"Sounds like the timeline of #MassEffect will be during Shepard's lifetime but won't involve Shepard...

This is very disappointing. Qaa hoping they'd jump ahead a few thousand years.

Ah well, hopefully the Reapers won't feature during ME4. I've had my fill of them...

How could it be another galaxy? No one mentioned that any of the races could travel out side to another galaxy. Even with Mass drives that seems pretty unlikely.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
This is very disappointing. Qaa hoping they'd jump ahead a few thousand years.

Ah well, hopefully the Reapers won't feature during ME4. I've had my fill of them...

Read above about this possible be set in a different galaxy during the timeline and thus doing a clever trick of avoiding the story implications with the Reapers and set something fresh and a complete new journey again into new distant worlds. This makes it rather exciting and can work and please everyone in some regards.

Apparently there's an article on Game Informer about this press conference?
Purposefully skipping the Game Informer article on @masseffect and waiting for the @NerdAppropriate one to come out.

Edit: It's just compiling what Nerd Appropriate already posted.

Read above about this possible be set in a different galaxy during the timeline and thus doing a clever trick of avoiding the story implications with the Reapers and set something fresh and a complete new journey again into new distant worlds. This makes it rather exciting and can work and please everyone in some regards.

Or this could just be a galaxy that the Reapers have left in ruin / are attacking right now before they move onto Shepard's. I hope not, but that definitely could happen.

Do like.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

why is it during Shepard's lifetime? I thought that was all over. More Reapers?! Fuck off.

I wanted a new beginning. Now it's the same damn thing. :/

Edit: I am happy to see the Mako though.

Top Bottom