• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know that's a good question, but honestly I don't think they've had a single AAA bomb this generation. They've had a few underperform at launch (Syndicate and Watch Dogs 2) but they've also noted that those games had strong legs and ended up successful.

I don't think they've had a single big budget AAA game this gen we could classify as a "bomb"

The worst performer was probably The Crew, at least relative to investment (6 year development cycle), though they had pretty low expectations out of that one by the time it launched.

ggx2ac

You know that's a good question, but honestly I don't think they've had a single AAA bomb this generation. They've had a few underperform at launch (Syndicate and Watch Dogs 2) but they've also noted that those games had strong legs and ended up successful.

I don't think they've had a single big budget AAA game this gen we could classify as a "bomb"

Titanfall 2? Or is that not AAA now?

Edit: Misread.

Yep they only thing that has happen to them is the game launch maybe hurts the legs of certain games.

Titanfall 2? Or is that not AAA now?

That is EA not Ubi

B.O.O.M

Horizon over a MILL? so damn happy for GG! Well deserved. What an amazing achievement. I wonder if we will get a global sales update by E3

The worst performer was probably The Crew.

Which even that though ended up successful. They've even noted it in investor calls. The Crew was still a profitable venture for them at the end of the day I believe.

It wasn't probably a huge success but also not a bomb. Which is pretty insane the run they are on

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah I can see horizon having a sequel next year. Or early 2019.

I thinking for zelda we'll just have the DLC to keep us busy. The world is pretty big, im still finding new things lol

Even reusing assets there is no way they can push out a sequel that quickly, not that they would even want to.

Everyone here focusing on Horizon and BOTW when they both will probably have good legs over the next couple of months.

What I want to know is whether or not EA are happy with MEA's current sales(30% below ME3 if Im remembering correctly).Is it going to remain in the charts or is it going to fall off going forward?

not really sure about that.
at least not for HZD

UC4 also did not have amazing legs. and HZD is a sigle player game, too that attracts the same hardcore ps4 firstparty fanbase.
Zelda legs will depend on the switch performance obviously but in general Nintendo games sell well over time

but even without amazing legs (i consider games like Overwatch, NBA2K, BF1 etc. as good legs and GTAV and Minecraft as amazing legs), HZD sold very well.

The worst performer was probably The Crew, at least relative to investment (6 year development cycle), though they had pretty low expectations out of that one by the time it launched.

and they likely recouped some more money with making the game free and sell expansions
if something like that is your worst performer, you're doing great

but out of the big 7 (4 biggest publisher and 3 traditional Platformholder) who is doing bad and struggling? none. not even Nintendo anymore

Which even that though ended up successful. They've even noted it in investor calls. The Crew was still a profitable venture for them at the end of the day I believe.

It wasn't probably a huge success but also not a bomb. Which is pretty insane the run they are on
Interested in seeing how South Park and the new Ac does for them. E3 will also be interesting as I'm sure a new service game will be announced.

RootCause

Best ever launch for Ghost Recon and 2nd largest Clancy launch ever behind Division.

Ubi is killing it. Hope they don't abandon offline sp games. :(

Saty

Define 'bomb'. Wasn't AC Syndicate flat out failure? And WD2 is probably nowhere near the numbers of WD1. Can we even say in certain it broke even?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I cannot believe we're still arguing about Zelda and Horizon sales, of all things. This "fight" won't stop that soon, I fear. Geeze.

Horizon did great. What ARE you guys even arguing about anymore.

Our "bosses" did no such thing.

We're here because we want to be, and because no one has told us to stop.

We're also here because people in these threads care as much (maybe more) about this stuff as we do, and because people here have good ideas.

If by sharing insights and trying to improve the deliverables mean people keep sharing those ideas then we're good.

But don't mistake us being here as some PR ploy. It's not that. At all. It's a fair trade of ideas and insights.

Extremely glad to hear that's the case; I can't deny I miss the old charts and hardware numbers, but I'm still glad we now have far more infos than what we've had for a long time. Hopefully this can continue, if not improve.

Also, since Sam couldn't check this in time, I'll repost what I said during a discussion on getting more, smaller publishers involed in the digital tracking.

It would certainly be great to get more mid-low publishers on board. The current charts can't represent the whole industry by missing a sizable slice of the current gaming industry pie, even if the lower MSRP for the vast majority of them would represent an obstacle in revenue-based charts. Not insormontable, though. Still, if more mid-low publishers join the initiative, I believe it would be interesting to have a Top 10 digital only monthly chart (still based on revenue, given the wide price variety), if possible.

By the way, I'm also wondering if you're thinking of monthly charts specific for Add-On Content / DLCs (another major part of digital revenue).

May be outta luck there honestly. South Park and assasins creed and watch dogs surely but I imagine moving forward more along the lines of the division,rainbow six,wildlands type games will be made.

Define 'bomb'. Wasn't AC Syndicate flat out failure? And WD2 is probably nowhere near the numbers of WD1. Can we even say in certain it broke even?
Not either one was a bomb.

not really sure about that.
at least not for HZD

UC4 also did not have amazing legs. and HZD is a sigle player game, too that attracts the same hardcore ps4 firstparty fanbase.
Zelda legs will depend on the switch performance obviously but in general Nintendo games sell well over time

but even without amazing legs (i consider games like Overwatch, NBA2K, BF1 etc. as good legs and GTAV and Minecraft as amazing legs), HZD sold very well.

and they likely recouped some more money with making the game free and sell expansions
if something like that is your worst performer, you're doing great

Uc4 never had legs? Since when? Horizon like Uc4 is showing great legs in the PAL threads. It will continue to sell.

Nah I'm sure Ubi will still include single player in many of their biggest AAA games.

But, you are certainly gonna see them continuing to a more online / service based model. You just have to look at what The Division, Siege, and Wildlands has done for them. Online focused games are just the bread and butter in the current AAA market.

There is still plenty of room for single player experiences though so I don't think people should be worried about those leaving. Hell just this month look at Zelda, Horizon, and Mass Effect.

Ubi has been killing it this gen. They may not necessarily have the biggest wins, but they've been consistently winning with games that are only slightly less popular than the Overwatch & Destiny out there.

And they also have the quantity of games to boot. In terms of quality AAA stuff their release calendar are stuffed.

Neither of those can be classified as a bomb at all. Both had soft launches, but Ubi has explicitly stated on both that they showed strong legs and are considered successful ventures.

Uc4 never had legs? Since when? Horizon like Uc4 is showing great legs in the PAL threads. It will continue to sell.

this is an NPD Topic. Im talking about US (retail) sales

UC4 opening month (May 3 weeks of tracking) --> 828k | 879k including bundles
UC4 second month (June 5 weeks of tracking) --> between 160 - 190k including bundles, sadly no split given
UC4 third month (July 4 weeks of tracking) --> UC4 bundle less than 30k units

Top 20 games of 2016:
C9z9VBWXYAE03kl.jpg:large

Overwatch first month sales: 411- 461k ( so half of UC4, but is the 7th best selling game of 2016, while UC4 did not even made the top 20)
not a perfect example tho, because Overwatch first month sales are retail only and the above ranking does at least include digital for Xbox Live and PSN, but it shows how games with great legs tend to do. Star Wars and Siege are also on the list. both 2015 games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The new AC needs to revamp the combat. I dread going into combat in those games because its just so boring. Make it like Dark Souls where it's stamina based and has lots of different melee weapons. It probably wont happen because it has to be casual friendly but man they cannot keep this current system.

They also need to bring back the Naval combat. that was fantastic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo's numbers suggest it has a much higher digital ratio on Wii U so other factors relating to the switch being a brand new system are probably the reason for its unusually low digital ratio on switch

I'd estimate it's likely around 10% approx

this is an NPD Topic. Im talking about US (retail) sales

UC4 opening month (May 3 weeks of tracking) --> 828k | 879k including bundles
UC4 second month (June 5 weeks of tracking) --> between 160 - 190k including bundles, sadly no split given
UC4 third month (July 4 weeks of tracking) --> UC4 bundle less than 30k units

Top 20 games of 2016:
C9z9VBWXYAE03kl.jpg:large

Overwatch first month sales: 411- 461k ( so half of UC4, but is the 7th best selling game of 2016, while UC4 did not even made the top 20)

Oh ok then, but just because it is an NPD thread doesn't mean the conversation won't reflect WW numbers as well. But yeah UC has been stronger in Europe then US I think.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, they need to keep patching it and restore goodwill, which will set up future DLCs/a new game.

I think things will be relatively fine for the franchise in the final telling. This is a strike, to be sure, but enough folks are enjoying the game despite the bad coverage. It's an unfortunate situation all-around, but there's a lot more "you know what, this is actually decent" going around as of this writing than I can remember seeing for a couple of other, more highly-scored BioWare titles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

John Harker

If we are attaching digital then Last of Us and Uncharted 4 are going to be above 1 million mark too.

Yea but horizon still outsold uc4, it's their biggest PS4 launch (not counting bundled units).

I'm impressed, even I didn't think it would do that well out the gate. They had a strong, well targeted campaign.

Oh ok then, but just because it is an NPD thread doesn't mean the conversation won't reflect WW numbers as well. But yeah UC has been stronger in Europe then US I think.

HZD will have better legs in Europe for sure. both standalone and also via bundling (HZD already has Ps4 bundles in Europe)

as i said, the audience is similar to UC and UC also sells better in Europe.
digital legs are also expected with price promotions and backlog sales

Yea but horizon still outsold uc4, it's their biggest PS4 launch (not counting bundled units).

I'm impressed, even I didn't think it would do that well out the gate. They had a strong, well targeted campaign.

Very impressive and yeah like you said the marketing was on point .
Think this was the biggest marketing i have ever seen them do for a new IP or at least it seem that way .

I'd estimate it's likely around 10% approx

Without giving a number can you say if Wildlands is close or far off from 2 million?

Uplay isn't included in the NPD figure so I'm thinking if we add those in its probably pretty close. That should account for a couple 100k more units given the tie ratio we've had from say For Honors Beta numbers

John Harker

Given how Nintendo reported "nearly" 460,000 copies sold, that would mean around 414,000 at retail.

Also, John, asking you again since you didn't clarify earlier on this (I hope I don't sound too insistent)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234377711&postcount=784

Were you referring to the former (digital shares) or the latter (JD2017)?

You were asking about JD, the other question it's too much manual work for me haha

ethomaz

Banned
Nintendo's numbers suggest it has a much higher digital ratio on Wii U so other factors relating to the switch being a brand new system are probably the reason for its unusually low digital ratio on switch
Digital rate on Switch will never grow up in my opinion because there is no incentive for a portable download ~10-20GB games with suck limited memory storage.

- If you download Zelda you already used all your storage... so you can't download another game.
- Even if you change for super expensive 128GB SD you are still limited for 5-8 games.
- It is a Portable so you won't be in places that allow download 10-20GB games.

Think about how limited the digital option is on Switch... now going retail you can have how many games you want (they are really small) and Switch to play them any time without need any download (it is what Portables do).

Switch will have even lower digital ratio than Wii U... it will probably be less than 10% forever.

That was a given right when Nintendo showed the system... there are even a lot of threads here talking how Nintendo probably killed digital on Switch.

HZD will have better legs in Europe for sure. both standalone and also via bundling (HZD already has Ps4 bundles in Europe)

as i said, the audience is similar to UC and UC also sells better in Europe.
digital legs are also expected with price promotions and backlog sales

NPD doesn't track bundles games....so Uc4 not being in the top 20 is misleading.

Top Bottom