• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

Agent Icebeezy said:
Dial-a-combo should be behind bars :)

Is that the only game that does it?
Yep. The bars disappear if I use PS2 native resolution but then the IQ is terrible. In any case, TTT feels quite sluggish on PCSX2. I must be doing something wrong. :/

Durante

DarkUSS said:
Yep. The bars disappear if I use PS2 native resolution but then the IQ is terrible. In any case, TTT feels quite sluggish on PCSX2.
Are you using a custom resolution or one of the 2x/3x/4x modes? This kind of problem is less common if you use one of the integral multipliers.

teiresias

OK, so been trying this for the first time tonight. I fired up Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII - both of which I ripped to ISOs on my internal platter HDD (as opposed to my internal SSD).

Both of them look great, I actually think DQVIII might be the more impressive of the two just because of the art style. Wow!!! I'm running everything with the internal resolution set at my monitor's 1920x1200 native resolution, and fullscreening them widescreen. Nice that PCSX2 realizes the aspect ratio difference and adds the black bars. I also tried Jak2 since the compatibility list says it worked, but I got a ton of graphical glitches with it.

I am having some issues with FFXII's sound though, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice (or knows if these are just known issues). For some reason, rather frequently FFXII will just freeze for a split second, almost like it's loading something from the ISO, not sure what it's doing, but I haven't been able to get it to stop, has anyone seen this?

Also, the sound on FFXII sounds a bit . . . tinny? Almost like there isn't enough reverb or bass. DQ8 is fine, but obviously its score is pre-recorded orchestral stuff so it's not the console-generated music. Also, in both games the sound will sometimes go wacko when the game loads something like a menu, or like, in FFXII, when in the intro they enter that first gate in the tutorial before the Tonberry flying machine. It will get all garbled.

I'm using the SPU2-X plug-in, but maybe I need to look for newer versions of these plug-ins than are included with the PCSX2 download? Anyone know where to find those?

MrMephistoX

Anyone else have issues with saving controller configs? I got everything working on the emulator for the first time but after mapping button inputs and saving it seems the controller doesn't work in game and loading a saved controller config after the fact does nothing. Using the Motionjoy DS3 driver.

teiresias

MrMephistoX said:
Anyone else have issues with saving controller configs? I got everything working on the emulator for the first time but after mapping button inputs and saving it seems the controller doesn't work in game and loading a saved controller config after the fact does nothing. Using the Motionjoy DS3 driver.

I couldn't get anything to take (and it even gave me a fatal error about loading plug-ins) until I ran the program as Administrator.

Chesskid1

Banned
flanker37 said:
I finally restarted Dragon Quest 8 again after a long break, and figured I would continue it by emulator. I like how it looks here much more than how I remember it looking on my PS2.

ruww35.jpg

thanks for inspiring me. i spent 2-3 hours setting everything up, running it at 3x native resolution output to my 1080p.

lord hot damn. this looks equal if not better then current gen games.

cel shading really upscales amazingly well. must because all the colors are beautiful and it uses alot of easy to see lines for the cel-shading making it really easy to upscale (just a guess?)

anyways, this game is freakin gorgeous. i have it running on my TV right now and it's just, wowww. can't wait to try other games, but the difference never looked that huge to me from screenshots ive seen, but the diff in DQ8 is huge.

Can somebody do me a HUGE favor and pick a game (any game), and post 2 comparison pics? One using PCSX2 and the other using the PS3's emulation (after the most recent hardware update, in the case of software emulation on the 80gb model)?

I just want to see first hand how big the difference is. Thanks!

Massa

The Antitype said:
Can somebody do me a HUGE favor and pick a game (any game), and post 2 comparison pics? One using PCSX2 and the other using the PS3's emulation (after the most recent hardware update, in the case of software emulation on the 80gb model)?

Check out this article. First they compare the God of War remakes with the originals, then they compare some games using PCSX2.

Mr_Brit

Banned
The Antitype said:

First is PS3 emulation, the second is rendered at 1080p on the emulator.

GoW_1_2_smooth.jpg.jpg

GoW_1_2_emulation.jpg.jpg

What's the story on a mac PS2 emulator? Is there one? I'm not good at terminal stuff, and the only one I've found is pretty bare-bones. I'd love to run my PS2 games through my 27" mac screen.

Failing that, is there a good PS1 one I can play stuff like my BOF4 disc on?

jmdajr

So I decided to at least try out a ps1 emulator since I figured I couldn't run this Ps2 one.
I thought it would be easy! Nope.

After running the ps1 emulator it tells me I'm missing some sort of dll file. So I go on google and find this damn file on some forum. Cool. But oh wait! Now it tells me I need a ps1 bios! What, it wasn't with the program already? Fine, so I go find this file now hoping I don't get some virus. Got it. Yay now I can play! ....But then what... set up video configuration? Hmm..all the options are blank. Try to run game..black screen :lol

and I'm done.....

MrMephistoX

Android18a said:
What's the story on a mac PS2 emulator? Is there one? I'm not good at terminal stuff, and the only one I've found is pretty bare-bones. I'd love to run my PS2 games through my 27" mac screen.

Boot Camp it's what I'm using.

jmdajr said:
So I decided to at least try out a ps1 emulator since I figured I couldn't run this Ps2 one.
I thought it would be easy! Nope.

After running the ps1 emulator it tells me I'm missing some sort of dll file. So I go on google and find this damn file on some forum. Cool. But oh wait! Now it tells me I need a ps1 bios! What, it wasn't with the program already? Fine, so I go find this file now hoping I don't get some virus. Got it. Yay now I can play! ....But then what... set up video configuration? Hmm..all the options are blank. Try to run game..black screen :lol

and I'm done.....

Did you download the plugins?

gragy10

Lime said:
Okami gets these lag spikes when I'm playing. Everything is buttery-smooth, but sometimes there's this lag spike. Should I overclock my CPU (X3 720 @ 3,2 ghz) even more? Or is it something to do with my harddrive?

Care to share your settings? Just about to install this again and keen to see how Okami bears up on my system

flanker37

Chesskid1 said:
thanks for inspiring me. i spent 2-3 hours setting everything up, running it at 3x native resolution output to my 1080p.

lord hot damn. this looks equal if not better then current gen games.

cel shading really upscales amazingly well. must because all the colors are beautiful and it uses alot of easy to see lines for the cel-shading making it really easy to upscale (just a guess?)

anyways, this game is freakin gorgeous. i have it running on my TV right now and it's just, wowww. can't wait to try other games, but the difference never looked that huge to me from screenshots ive seen, but the diff in DQ8 is huge.

Happy to hear you liked it and were able to get everything working. I too also played DQ8 at 3x native resolution and thought it looked incredible and at full speed.

I love this emulator, and have finished Persona 3 & 4, DQ8, and just recently Shadow Hearts 3 on it. Seeing these games in such great quality and higher resolutions really helped me get back into and finally finish some of my ps2 games I had on hold. :D

jmdajr

Sickboy007 said:
Did you download the plugins?

Dude I don't know what the fuck really. I just didn't want to spend my free time after work figuring it out :lol I wanted instant results. Maybe some free weekend I'll try again otherwise I'll just use my ps3.

Hmm is my pc with 4 x 2,66 ghz + 9800gt fast enough to run most games with acceptable speed? my ps2 broke months ago and i want to play my old games :(

Chesskid1

Banned
flanker37 said:
Happy to hear you liked it and were able to get everything working. I too also played DQ8 at 3x native resolution and thought it looked incredible and at full speed.

I love this emulator, and have finished Persona 3 & 4, DQ8, and just recently Shadow Hearts 3 on it. Seeing these games in such great quality and higher resolutions really helped me get back into and finally finish some of my ps2 games I had on hold. :D

hey, sorry to bug you with questions, but they are pretty minor questions with no answers in the pcsx2 forum.

hows it running for you? on 3x native, it's mostly full speed. sometimes i'll get a bit of slowdown in a town with a bunch of NPCs or is there a ton of monsters in a fight. really not bad, i'm on a 4870 + 3.0 Phenom II Quad.

is the text when you talk to people a bit garbled? it's still pretty easy to read, just some artifacts around the text, could just be a bystander of upscaling.

either way the game looks amazing, just thought i would share a few questions. i'm using the latest beta (should I?) and since when i last "tried" to use it on my old computer, it was alot more complicated, very cool of them to simplify it down.

PNstyle said:
Hmm is my pc with 4 x 2,66 ghz + 9800gt fast enough to run most games with acceptable speed? my ps2 broke months ago and i want to play my old games :(
You'll be able to play most games well, but with some slowdowns. You would fare a lot better with an overclock.

So I'm new to all of this but I have a fairly new computer.

How does this work? I pop a PS2 game in my DVD drive and it plays? Or do you need to rip an ISO first?

Kind of interested to see how some of my PS2 games look :eek:

Just upgraded to a i5750 OC'ed to 3.8ghz and a 1 gig GTX460 card w/ 4 gigs of ram.

edit: Are the instructions to get a PS3 controller to work on the site in the OP?

Erebus

Durante said:
Are you using a custom resolution or one of the 2x/3x/4x modes? This kind of problem is less common if you use one of the integral multipliers.
Nah, I tried the preset multipliers as well. The bars are still there. :(

Demigod Mac

Android18a said:

Your best bet is Boot Camp.

There are some alternatives, albeit complex/buggy ones:

http://pcsx2mac.net/
http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=1053

For PS1 emulation:
http://speedofmac.com/pcsx_latest.html

Chesskid1

Banned
demosthenes said:
So I'm new to all of this but I have a fairly new computer.

How does this work? I pop a PS2 game in my DVD drive and it plays? Or do you need to rip an ISO first?

Kind of interested to see how some of my PS2 games look :eek:

Just upgraded to a i5750 OC'ed to 3.8ghz and a 1 gig GTX460 card w/ 4 gigs of ram.

edit: Are the instructions to get a PS3 controller to work on the site in the OP?

i just set it up so i can help you out

ps3 controller on PC: http://www.motioninjoy.com/ click download and grab the signature. there's a nice tutorial setup around the site somewhere.

go to pcsx2 forums for the latest beta build /w all the plugins. you need to obtain your own ps3 bios. there is a guide on the front page of the mainpage for all the settings to configured pcsx2. lookin through the pcsx2 menu it can play through a DVD (haven't tried it yet) and an ISO.

Chesskid1 said:

ps3 controller on PC: http://www.motioninjoy.com/ click download and grab the signature. there's a nice tutorial setup around the site somewhere.

go to pcsx2 forums for the latest beta build /w all the plugins. you need to obtain your own ps3 bios. there is a guide on the front page of the mainpage for all the settings to configured pcsx2. lookin through the pcsx2 menu it can play through a DVD (haven't tried it yet) and an ISO.

Guy above just posted about PS1 emulation. Is there a good PS1 emulator out there as well? Would love to do another play through on FFIX.

jmdajr

demosthenes said:

Guy above just posted about PS1 emulation. Is there a good PS1 emulator out there as well? Would love to do another play through on FFIX.

the one I tried did me no favors :(
It was called ePSXe

MrMephistoX

demosthenes said:

If you're willing to put the work into compiling the Mac version ( not user friendly) why not just go with boot camp? It's much easier than you'd think.

Vorador

Banned
jmdajr said:
the one I tried did me no favors :(
It was called ePSXe

ePSXe is really hard to configure properly, but it can give some great results.

wtjlx.jpg

You can try pSX, is fairly easier to setup, but it doesn't give any improvement over the real thing.

MrMephistoX said:
If you're willing to put the work into compiling the Mac version ( not user friendly) why not just go with boot camp? It's much easier than you'd think.

I don't run MAC, was just drawing to how he asked about PS1 emulation :)

Chesskid1 said:

Ohhh PS3 bios to use a DS3...ok.

I'll try it tonight hopefully and see if I have any questions.

Free iso creator anyone?

flanker37

Chesskid1 said:
hey, sorry to bug you with questions, but they are pretty minor questions with no answers in the pcsx2 forum.

hows it running for you? on 3x native, it's mostly full speed. sometimes i'll get a bit of slowdown in a town with a bunch of NPCs or is there a ton of monsters in a fight. really not bad, i'm on a 4870 + 3.0 Phenom II Quad.

is the text when you talk to people a bit garbled? it's still pretty easy to read, just some artifacts around the text, could just be a bystander of upscaling.

either way the game looks amazing, just thought i would share a few questions. i'm using the latest beta (should I?) and since when i last "tried" to use it on my old computer, it was alot more complicated, very cool of them to simplify it down.

Sure, I'd be happy to answer them. I used the latest beta and had almost no slowdowns (just a couple during battles where the enemy counts were high like 7+).

I played at 3x native on my GTX 260 core 216, so I think your card should have no problems with that internal res.

However, I played the game with an X3 Phenom II overclocked to 3.6 GHz. I would guess any extra slowdowns can be attributed to that. So if you can overclock to around 3.5 or 3.6, I would try that first.

And lastly, I had the text garbling as well (that's why none of my screen caps had dialogue text :D ). And I am pretty sure its due to scaling as well, b/c it looked fine when I tried the game at 1x or Native resolution.

Hope that answers everything and helps you out. Good luck.

And here are few shots I took towards the end of the game. Unfortunately I think the jpeg compression messed them up a little, but still gives the basic idea.

mi05lz.jpg

vql007.jpg

10xvc69.jpg

jmdajr

I tried that motionjoy and I think it came with adware. I just know some things were popping up that I wasnt happy about!

Chesskid1

Banned
well motioninjoy does use some ads in the actual program i think, but i've never gotten pop ups. it's the only way to get a ps3 controller working on a pc afaik, so you're stuck i think (could be wrong?)

here's a link to the motioninjoy thread on here for there isn't a bunch of blah blah motioninjoy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410974

edit: thanks for the response :D maybe pcsx2 will support quads one day.

edit #2: I can full screen this to my HDTV and someone else can still play solitaire on the computer monitor. brilliant. :D

Ettie

Has anyone tried using the newishly enabled command line options to setup shortcuts for individual games? I'm hoping to integrate my PS2 staples into my mediaportal/XBMC setup in the living room if it's working.

MrMephistoX

Finally got motion joy running as administrator in Win 7. One question though, in FFX and most RPGs the gameplay is perfect but the battle transitions are slow as molases: is this due to my hardware or might I be overlooking a pluton setting? Also running directly from legit discs not ISOs.

jediyoshi

MrMephistoX said:
Finally got motion joy running as administrator in Win 7. One question though, in FFX and most RPGs the gameplay is perfect but the battle transitions are slow as molases: is this due to my hardware or might I be overlooking a pluton setting? Also running directly from legit discs not ISOs.

Probably hardware. Ripping your disc as an ISO might help initial loading as it'd read faster from your harddrive.

Teknoman

Think you can use a PS2->PS3 memory card reader to upload saves to your PC. Going to give the emu another shot, and was going to try to play Romancing Saga on it.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind. Saw the post at the top.

MrMephistoX

jediyoshi said:
Probably hardware. Ripping your disc as an ISO might help initial loading as it'd read faster from your harddrive.
Cool I will try it. The transitions speed up eventually but really chug initially and I hear a lot of Disc access so perhaps that's the problem.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Teknoman said:
Think you can use a PS2->PS3 memory card reader to upload saves to your PC. Going to give the emu another shot, and was going to try to play Romancing Saga on it.
Oh really? You sure about that? I really want to transfer my PS2 memcards to PC. Didn't know that the ps2-ps3 reader also worked on PC... Hmmm.

Mr_Brit

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
Oh really? You sure about that? I really want to transfer my PS2 memcards to PC. Didn't know that the ps2-ps3 reader also worked on PC... Hmmm.
You can convert PS2 saves from your PS3 to PCSX2 saves quite easily. Search on Google and it should bring you to the thread on the official forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom