• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

dluu13

You could buy a Presto at the gateways...assuming they have any in stock AND assuming you are going to do something else because it's stupid you have to pay to get in to pay for something you'll use to pay to get in. -_-

There are certain gateways which are outside the gates.

And as much as I love snow I sure am glad not to be in Vancouver. They probably got about 2ft of snow in the last week and the snow clearing budget was used up loooong ago.

Fuck Presto man. Too many instances where I had to run through pouring rain to the furthest possible subway entrance just to be able to use the stupid ass card. And for some stations, it's a multiple blocks to get to that entrance.

Hey sooo we've been in canada/gta for like 21 years and my mom got a job for a company in san fran, though there is a branch in toronto

My family is considering moving to san fran. How good of a move would this be? This is a big company that really likes her and my mom may be able to make close to a 100K salary, or at least soemthing high like $80K

Im just getting started on my education career and wonder if i could get a job easily as a teacher or not.

Yet with the current political situation, Im not sure if This is a good opportunity or not. Realistically, could I buy my own place to live in San Francisco compared to GTA?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
There are certain gateways which are outside the gates.

And as much as I love snow I sure am glad not to be in Vancouver. They probably got about 2ft of snow in the last week and the snow clearing budget was used up loooong ago.
I wouldn't be so bitter if the fucking site worked.
Fuck Presto man. Too many instances where I had to run through pouring rain to the furthest possible subway entrance just to be able to use the stupid ass card. And for some stations, it's a multiple blocks to get to that entrance.
Lololololol TTC: "fuck you use tokens then"
Heh as I read this, it is snowing outside.
You...go to hell Garfield phone.
Hey sooo we've been in canada/gta for like 21 years and my mom got a job for a company in san fran, though there is a branch in toronto

My family is considering moving to san fran. How good of a move would this be? This is a big company that really likes her and my mom may be able to make close to a 100K salary, or at least soemthing high like $80K

Im just getting started on my education career and wonder if i could get a job easily as a teacher or not.

Yet with the current political situation, Im not sure if This is a good opportunity or not. Realistically, could I buy my own place to live in San Francisco compared to GTA?
I personally don't think it's a wise move unless you a ton of money. Cost of living there is insanely high and just hope you can even get a place there. Maybe see if she can work remotely and have them fly her into the office. That and possible earthquakes there would turn me off.
Have you checked the temperature for this weekend?
<3

@Kraftwerk
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mplaints-about-fare-inspectors-last-year.html
Totally reminded me of your story. Inspector nabs one dude but different one lets two girls off the hook.

dluu13

My friend visited around Silicon Valley and SF and told me that homes are not only more expensive but also in the middle of nowhere. (talking more about silicon valley specifically)

@Kraftwerk
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mplaints-about-fare-inspectors-last-year.html
Totally reminded me of your story. Inspector nabs one dude but different one lets two girls off the hook.

I mean the streetcar driver doesn't even give you a transfer unless you ask for one specifically so what the hell. And why don't the subway gates or the fare collectors issue the transfers? It's so idiotic that you have to pay the fare collector then get the proof of payment yourself by pressing a button on some machine. And on top of that, the button feels like some tap and pray PoS with no tactile feedback whatsoever.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the streetcar driver doesn't even give you a transfer unless you ask for one specifically so what the hell. And why don't the subway gates or the fare collectors issue the transfers? It's so idiotic that you have to pay the fare collector then get the proof of payment yourself by pressing a button on some machine. And on top of that, the button feels like some tap and pray PoS with no tactile feedback whatsoever.
If you're using Presto, you're not supposed to get a transfer and if you get short turned (and you fucking will) you do not tap again.
For tokens and cash, you're not supposed to ask but are supposed to be given them, but the fucking drivers now really don't seem to give a fuck.
As to the rest of your questions here's more or less the official answer from the TTC, "LUL DEAL WITH IT"

dluu13

If you're using Presto, you're not supposed to get a transfer and if you get short turned (and you fucking will) you do not tap again.
For tokens and cash, you're not supposed to ask but are supposed to be given them, but the fucking drivers now really don't seem to give a fuck.
As to the rest of your questions here's more or less the official answer from the TTC, "LUL DEAL WITH IT"

So this Presto card is not so smart eh... I still take a transfer anyway because I don't trust this system yet.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So this Presto card is not so smart eh... I still take a transfer anyway because I don't trust this system yet.
They're supposed to make it a point of telling you your Presto card is your transfer and refuse to give you one...I guess since you could use your card as a transfer and you could give the paper transfer to someone else.
So, I could tap in front, take a transfer, and my wife could enter the TTC from the side door and just take my paper transfer without paying. So if an inspector checks, he checks my card and sees her transfer.

dluu13

They're supposed to make it a point of telling you your Presto card is your transfer and refuse to give you one...I guess since you could use your card as a transfer and you could give the paper transfer to someone else.
So, I could tap in front, take a transfer, and my wife could enter the TTC from the side door and just take my paper transfer without paying. So if an inspector checks, he checks my card and sees her transfer.

Wait so let me get this straight:

Every single time you tap the system doesn't check anything and just takes $3 off your card?
Also I see how they could enforce this on a street car, but on a subway, how the hell is this enforced?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so let me get this straight:

Every single time you tap the system doesn't check anything and just takes $3 off your card?
Also I see how they could enforce this on a street car, but on a subway, how the hell is this enforced?
I don't know all the details, just that they've supposedly mapped it so that transfers work. So you tap on the streetcar on Queen and then tap again when you enter the subway at Eaton Centre for example.

All I know is that you don't tap on a short turn and to check your usage cause the TTC and Presto are garbage as there have been several reports of people getting charged twice. And presumably, but don't take my word for it, if you tap twice on the same streetcar you get dinged twice. Not sure if TTC is able to determine if it was an accident or if you got off, drank a Coors really quick and jumped back on the same streetcar, in which case you are supposed to pay again.

I even saw once a woman's card get rejected but it's not quite as noticeable as paid and she just walked on. It's only the confused people that ask that leave cause it didn't take money out.
Like I said, most of this stuff isn't even a cost issue. TTC just loves doing things in the stupidest way possible.
Well it is the TTC and Presto's fault.

dluu13

I don't know all the details, just that they've supposedly mapped it so that transfers work. So you tap on the streetcar on Queen and then tap again when you enter the subway at Eaton Centre for example.

All I know is that you don't tap on a short turn and to check your usage cause the TTC and Presto are garbage as there have been several reports of people getting charged twice. And presumably, but don't take my word for it, if you tap twice on the same streetcar you get dinged twice. Not sure if TTC is able to determine if it was an accident or if you got off, drank a Coors really quick and jumped back on the same streetcar, in which case you are supposed to pay again.

I even saw once a woman's card get rejected but it's not quite as noticeable as paid and she just walked on. It's only the confused people that ask that leave cause it didn't take money out.

Well as it stands now, I have zipcar membership and I can usually get a couple of friends to tag along to bear the costs. Either that or I be extra careful while taking TTC.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did you guys know about this?

Iceman Video Games said:
Queen West Location Closing

It is with great sadness that we would like to announce the closing of our Queen West location. It has been a pleasure meeting and serving everyone these past 3 years at our Queen Street store and the previous 3 years at our Kensington location. The Lindsay and Peterborough locations are not closing and are unaffected by this announcement. After store closure.we will be honouring all warranties, credit notes and points redemptions either through social media, by e-mail, enquiries to our website www.icemanvideogames.com and at either of our other locations or at any trade shows we exhibit at including Anime North and Fan Expo. Any prebooks or prebook credits will be refunded in full if the item comes out after we close.

We gave it a good long run, market factors have changed and continue to change including the increased prevalence of digital downloads and the ever increasing costs of operating a full service retail location in downtown Toronto. We welcome any and all enquiries you may have. Our last official day of business will be Feb 22nd.

Click here to see all the Closing Sale info: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1399190610099745&id=725862274099252

Please feel free to post a fond memory or photo of a purchase or in store experience in the comments. We would also like it if you dropped by even if it's just to say good bye.

Iceman Video Games said:
Queen West Location Closing Sale

Starts January 30th and goes to February 22nd (Last Day of Business)

All Used Games 9.99 or Less
Buy One Get 2 Free*

All Used Games 10.00 to 49.99
Buy One Get The 2nd for Half Price*

All Amiibos Buy One Get The 2nd for Half Price*

All Rock Band and Guitar Hero Instruments 50% Off our Listed Price

All Steering Wheels and Arcade Sticks 50% Off our Listed Price

All Skylander and Disney Infinity Figures 50% Off our Listed Price

All Used PS3 and 360 Consoles 50% Off our Listed Price

All used Accessories 50% Off our Listed Price

We will be adding other individual items on sale in store as well.

Come early for best selection, these will be the final discounts.

Points may be used to make purchases but we will no longer be providing points on purchases.

* Free and half price games must be of equal or lesser value. Rare cabinet games will be excluded from sale.

Blackhead

Redarse
No it's Presto's fault. This is how the system has always typically worked on the Go buses and trains. I mean I have a Metropass and don't encounter any of these issues and inconveniences**. The main reason I'm interested in Presto is for the cross compatability and to be honest if the GTA pass was also available in a monthly package (and, you know, not stupidly expensive) I would be buy that instead. The only silver lining of the TTC Presto 'upgrade':
In 2017, the TTC's Presto, unlike other Toronto area transit properties using the smart cards, will also include open-payment technology that will let its riders pay their fare with a debit or credit card or on a mobile device.

longer explanation:
The point about Open Payment goes beyond simply accepting a credit card (something Presto can do already for single adult fares) to a fundamental change in how Presto works. Today, all of the fare transaction takes place between the Presto card and reader on a vehicle or in a station. The activity is reconciled to a central system on a daily basis.

The architecture of Presto will change to shift the fare calculation tracking process to the central system. This allows any card or smartphone app to interact with a reader simply as an identification mechanism. Usage would be accumulated centrally and billed based on the rates to which a rider was entitled including any fare caps or cross-boundary co-fare arrangements. According to Metrolinx:

”2017 will be a busy year as we prepare to offer enhancements in support of TTC. Currently the plan is offer open payment in limited form by the end of 2017. The timing and details are still being finalized."

This will bring Presto into line with the concept the TTC proposed many years ago before Queen's Park forced them to adopt Presto as a condition for continued receipt of gas tax revenue.
I'll keep using the Metropass until that open system is implemented then switch to using NFC payments (phone/watch).

Oh ok. I guess that's not too bad then. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it were just standing room either. Easier to circulate and talk to other people.

Lexxism

Great day after someone posted an article about lousy winter.

giphy.gif

-Deimos

That plan was awesome. Thanks to their rewards, I'm getting it $30/month ($90 90days). There's no way I'm gonna leave this company unless they went south.

Their website is slow and glitchy as hell, but thanks to that I'm getting an additional referral credit every month XD

Totally worth it.

I tried Not Your Father's Root Beer tonight, and I thought it was pretty decent. I liked it more than the Dusty Boots or Mill St. offerings (those two kinda taste like Sodalicious candy, whereas NYFRB tasted more like an actual root beer, albeit with some peculiar spices). It's strangely boozy, though. 6% ABV!

Anyways, I'm over it now. Alcoholic root beer is kinda eh overall.

dluu13

I tried Not Your Father's Root Beer tonight, and I thought it was pretty decent. I liked it more than the Dusty Boots or Mill St. offerings (those two kinda taste like Sodalicious candy, whereas NYFRB tasted more like an actual root beer, albeit with some peculiar spices). It's strangely boozy, though. 6% ABV!

Anyways, I'm over it now. Alcoholic root beer is kinda eh overall.

I had that at a Ribfest last summer. I remember finding it boozy too. It's not so good that I would buy it all the time myself, but then I would still recommend it to friends as a novelty.

Top Bottom