• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

FN-2187

I've been really liking ARMS on my Switch, and I've heard that Virtual-On is similar. Worth picking it up?

Virtual-On is awesome in the arcade, but I have never found it to be much fun with a controller. You need those two big sticks. That said, it is still worth checking out if you are into video game history and classic Sega.

Surely there's a way to get them back online via LAN methods, right?

Though I doubt it would work with the 360 infrastructure like it did with the OG system.
I would know please for chromehounds to come back but you would need Sega or someone to host the servers for the persistent war. I don't see how that would work over LAN.

Hardvlade

Stoked for VOOT, now we need Force and Cyber Troopers! :D

and of course Brotherhood gets added right after I got the Ezio Collection =P

Weird radiant silvergun wasn't in my ready to install list but I found it when I searched the store. the Xbox one now has the 2 best games ever made imo, with RS and SotN. Man what an amazing company MS, thank God they got into gaming when they did.

Haven't played Radiant Silvergun in years, will have to get that on sale sometime

I'd love Virtual On but I kinda want to put that money towards Force since I've been sitting on that for years. It's not that expensive and I still got my 360 hooked up.

Rest is nice too. Brotherhood means all they have to do is get Liberation going.

Shaneus

Those arent PGR4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Crackdown, Asura's Wrath, Lost Planet or Blur!!!!
You have good taste! But I remember that PGR4 had issues when you installed it to the 360's HDD, so that might be an issue.

Also, car licensing might be an issue too (though it wasn't for FH1, so who knows?).

PS. Play Blur on PC if you can. It's god-tier.

Synth

You have good taste! But I remember that PGR4 had issues when you installed it to the 360's HDD, so that might be an issue.

Also, car licensing might be an issue too (though it wasn't for FH1, so who knows?).

PS. Play Blur on PC if you can. It's god-tier.

Car licensing may well have been an issue for FH1, but it just hadn't expired yet. Could have been that or the music that got it pulled after being made BC.

And even if the cars weren't a problem for FH1, that could very well only be a case of the licenses for them being shared with other Forza games.

Even for PGR though, I'd imagine the licensed music is more likely to be an issue.

RADIANT SILVERGUN :O

th

I didn't stay up late this week due to the repeated weeks of dry release days. Only just checked in now for this glorious surprise. I already own both the Saturn version and the STV cart an board. Super happy about this game on X1.

Nah SEGA is not off the hook until we have at least half this list:

Aliens V.S. Predator
Alpha Protocol
Anarchy Reigns
Armored Core: FA
Binary Domain
Chromehounds
The Club
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dreamcast Collection
Full Auto
Phantasy Star Universe
Resonance of Fate
Several Sonic games
Vanquish

Trim that list down with reality. Dreamcast collection is just a bundle of XBLA games, they should individually install as they become compatible. Chromhounds had the servers switched off as did Phantasy Star Universe. Alien vs Predator has a licence. The rest should be potential releases.

How was Blazing Angels?

I bought it for PC back in the day. It rode on the "next gen graphics" wave a little, looked quite nice at the time. It's a very arcadey flight sim with some cool WW2 areas to fly over with some of the classic planes from that era. I kind of think it will look very dated now, but you could always check out a youtube video. Not worth much money imo.

You really want to get upset and confused? ME2 and ME3 are available digitally on XB1 through EA Access. Maybe there is a technical reason for that or maybe it's their sinister way to keep schlubs like me subscribed because I prefer digital as well.
My understanding is that they have multi-disc downloads working on XB1 but not on 360; they can't put it up on the marketplace unless it works on 360 too.

rmatheso

Sega Saturn on Xbox One:

Playable:

Daytona
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Radiant Silvergun
Virtual-On

Not Playable:

Virtua Fighter 2
Outrun

Needed:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Shining Force

My understanding is that they have multi-disc downloads working on XB1 but not on 360; they can't put it up on the marketplace unless it works on 360 too.
That was the thinking for a long time but Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are both available to purchase digitally. EA may still only want it up if it works on 360 too, but it seems like a publisher decision not a Microsoft decision.

Zeta Oni

Trim that list down with reality. Dreamcast collection is just a bundle of XBLA games, they should individually install as they become compatible. Chromhounds had the servers switched off as did Phantasy Star Universe. Alien vs Predator has a licence. The rest should be potential releases.

I'll give you Chromehounds and AvP, but PSU has plenty of offline content worth preserving imo.

I really wish Sega would do more with Phantasy Star in general where NA is considered.

That was the thinking for a long time but Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are both available to purchase digitally. EA may still only want it up if it works on 360 too, but it seems like a publisher decision not a Microsoft decision.
I also believe that since they're first party titles they were able to go back and package them in GODs correctly. Though, I believe if you run multi disc games in XEX menu on a modded 360 it's just a matter of having the game data in the same directory as the first executable so it might be that easy and it's just them being a pain. It might have to do with relicensing the games for sale on 360 too which obviously the MS games don't have to do, but what do I know.

Lorul2

I'm betting BLOPS2 dropped on BC when Activision wanted it to, not in response to the nagging.

This isn't like BC from some generations where the 360 chipset was included in each X1. The games have to be emulated through software. Emulating the 360 on the X1 is difficult and the emulator has to be tailored for each game. Therefore, each BC game has to be converted into a downloadable XB1 package along with it's custom emulator. This means that every BC game can be considered a "release" on the XB1 platform. Since the original agreements and paperwork never mentioned the X1 or future consoles, it requires new paperwork and signatures from the publishers and any related rights-holders, such as musicians and car manufacturers. I'm sure it's a bit of a nightmare for many titles. In some cases, the game could be released but never actually sold digitally, but if so, that lessens it's appeal as a BC title because all this work costs money and it's helpful if MS and the pubs can make that back through new sales.

When the X360 made original xbox games back compat I thought it was running an emulator that made some games work and others not so much (Had to have the hard drive and the Nvidai license stuff). Why can't the X1 do the same with original xbox games? Heck, why can't it just use the same X360 emulation software the 360 uses since the X360 dashboard is available to the x1?

Synth

Sega Saturn on Xbox One:

Playable:

Daytona
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Radiant Silvergun
Virtual-On

Not Playable:

Virtua Fighter 2
Outrun

Needed:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Shining Force

For Virtual-On to count, it'd need to be Operation Moongate rather than VOOT. And the only Outrun the Saturn saw was the Sega Ages port of the original.

And you forgot Fighting Vipers.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Sega Saturn on Xbox One:

Playable:

Daytona
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Radiant Silvergun
Virtual-On

Not Playable:

Virtua Fighter 2
Outrun

Needed:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Shining Force

serious question: why do people like burning rangers? the song is good, but...

You really want to get upset and confused? ME2 and ME3 are available digitally on XB1 through EA Access. Maybe there is a technical reason for that or maybe it's their sinister way to keep schlubs like me subscribed because I prefer digital as well.
That sucks.. I guess I'll just sub for a month or so whenever I feel like replaying them

Hopefully by the time I get around to that it'll be available without ea access. Luckily got a lot of other stuff in my backlog

Tek

One day I will read that Sonic Generations has been made BC.

Still no idea why I want that one so bad...maybe because it was the best Sonic game released lately...maybe. Might have to wait for Xbox XXX until it actually happens

FN-2187

serious question: why do people like burning rangers? the song is good, but...

I loved it when it came out, but most of those early 3D action platform games have aged pretty bad due to the camera and controls. I still love the look and style of it, even if it's pretty rough around edges.

rmatheso

There are also a couple Neo-Geo conversions from the OG Xbox that could be released as well:

- KOF: Neowave
- KOF: 2002-2003
- Samurai Showdown 5
- SNK VS Capcom
- Metal Slug 3 (Is this a better version?)
- Metal Slug 4&5
- King of Fighters 94 Re-bout (Never released. But could it?)

RedSwirl

Sega Saturn on Xbox One:

Playable:

Daytona
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Radiant Silvergun
Virtual-On

Not Playable:

Virtua Fighter 2
Outrun

Needed:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Shining Force

Wouldn't it be cool if SEGA just released Saturn and Dreamcast emulators for Xbox (or any other modern console)?

FZW

We should make a list of games that are least likely to be BC, like too human or any game with tons of licensing issues.

Zeta Oni

We should make a list of games that are least likely to be BC, like too human or any game with tons of licensing issues.

It basically falls into three categories:

1. Games with licensing/legal issues

-Anything with licensed music, cars, brands, clothes, etc. that has expired
-Anything IP related made by a now defunct developer/publisher that wasn't bought by another (THQ)
-Anything that was directly involved in a legal case (Too Human, and I know KoA: Reckoning is still purchasable but adding a new marketplace to buy it from might be a no no)

2. Games made obsolete by another entry

-Sports titles
-HD Remasters/Ports (mainly Capcom at this point)

3. Games that aren't coming for not entirely understood reasons

-Publishers/Developers who, for whatever reason, don't want their games made BC. There's no legal situation holding the games back, just people and their own politics. As of now, I feel Koei Tecmo is a great example of this category. I cant help but feel there are several titles that haven't been made BC and don't have an actual acceptable reason as to why. I understand all the games need testing, but there are some odd omissions even with that accounted for.

Top Bottom