• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Wars: Future Past |OT| its not Disgaea

Unknown?

Absolutely.

Obviously don't expect FFT quality especially when it comes to the story, but I think it's better than the vast majority of SRPGs out there and stands proud.
I've only played Disgaea. Is it better than Disgaea 5? Trying to figure out what srpg to get.

Picked it up for 27 bucks at Walmart. Just unlocked the 2nd Tier job classes. As a guy whose favorite game is FFT this is pretty damn similar. Job system/battle system/ world map.
So far I'm in love.

autoduelist

I've only played Disgaea. Is it better than Disgaea 5? Trying to figure out what srpg to get.

It's different than Disgaea. 'Better' is subjective to your interests.

Disgaea is all about endless upgrading - the game understands 'grinding' and is built around the concept, making grinding fun and making it the 'game' itself. Heck, even items in your inventory have procedural generated 'dungeons' you can enter to level the items. While there is a story, it's relatively easy and the real deep game is elsewhere. Combat is relatively similar at first glance, although Disgaea's color blocks really turn every stage into a puzzle [you can sometimes defeat stages with a single move].

GW has more of a FFTactics structure. That is, it's story based with a series of battles you need to face, with the ability to revisit old [slightly different] scenarios if you need money or exp. While it's still about character progression [all srpgs are, really], it's got a completely different mechanic, the job system [primary, secondary, unique]. So you can make a character a monk [main] warrior [sub], and he's got his own unique skills as well.

Ultimately, Disgaea is sort of like math heaven. Both in min/maxing characters and items, but also in solving dungeon color block puzzles, etc. GW is more of a straightforward adventure with srpg combat, where you still guide character development over the course of the game.

They're definitely different, though definitely in the same genre... but it's hard to say one is definitively 'better' than the other. In general, I like Disgaea more than most SRPGs because the difficulty progression is -made- for grinding, and as such, there is always a challenge there if you want it, where FFT style games allow you to easily grind yourself into gods. However, I do like the 'feel' of GW more than Disgaea.

zenspider

Has anybody had any crashes yet? Maybe mine was a fluke.

I lost hours (and RNGesus grace-rolls) playing Lost Dimension. I can't go through that again!

Natural Doctrine is f'ing awesome, and I wish people didn't call it 'abysmally awful'. I realize everyone has different tastes, and that's fine, but the game is far from 'abysmally awful' - you may not like it, you may even hate it, but that game is pure tactical and strategic bliss. It's a stunningly well crafted and original SRPG [and my favorite vita title, by far]. There are so many bland SRPGs with crap balance, terrible tactics, that encourage terrible strategies [like having one character get all kills and turning them into a super OP death machine, or grinding heal spells a thousand times to increase a stat] get a pass for whatever reason, but ND's one SRPG that really brings completely new systems [that work wonderfully] and it gets trashed. Yes, it plays nothing like any other SRPG [and so doesn't get any points for reminding people of FFT or FE or Disgaea or TO], but as an original design? Brilliant mechanics through and through.

Anyway. Bought God Wars day 1, but haven't played it yet. It looks great. I'm sure I'll love it. But it's a shame the lesson they were taught was not to stray too far from the core franchises.

Never played Natural Doctrine, but I re-downloaded after reading your post.

Any advice on how to approach it? I'm pretty open-minded, but Tactics Ogre-type SRPGs are the length and breadth of my experience and I don't want to fall into the trap of my own expectations for the genre.

I have it on PS4 and Vita, if one's preferred over the other.

hawk2025

Has anybody had any crashes yet? Maybe mine was a fluke.

I lost hours (and RNGesus grace-rolls) playing Lost Dimension. I can't go through that again!

Never played Natural Doctrine, but I re-downloaded after reading your post.

Any advice on how to approach it? I'm pretty open-minded, but Tactics Ogre-type SRPGs are the length and breadth of my experience and I don't want to fall into the trap of my own expectations for the genre.

I have it on PS4 and Vita, if one's preferred over the other.

Zero crashes here, on PS4.

I was going to wait on this one, but I wound up picking it up last night. So much for using the summer to catch up on my backlog! It's obviously low budget and rough around the edges, but the maps are really fun. My boyfriend watched me play for a while last night and he was instantly sold.

I had to go to bed just as I was about to unlock a bunch of new classes and now I'm going crazy waiting for my work day to end.

Cornbread78

Picked it up for 27 bucks at Walmart. Just unlocked the 2nd Tier job classes. As a guy whose favorite game is FFT this is pretty damn similar. Job system/battle system/ world map.
So far I'm in love.

This sounds amazing, lol.

I broke down and bought it when I went to pick up my Tokyo Xanadu preorder.

The combat is an enjoyable FFT clone, but the writing is weak and its low budgetness is omnipresent. I don't know if I'll finish this, but it's ok for what it is.

Sölf

Man, I barely get to play this. I only just beat the first real boss, so I am at Episode 6 or 7 now. Finished 3 of the 6 requests at the first shrine. I do like the game so far, but maaaaan. This will end like always, I will not finish this because I don't play it and then start something else... xD

Sölf

On like the 4th fight with the archers on top of the hill and the unique named boss dude. I'm getting torn to shreds.

That's the one I did yesterday. Have you done some of the Shrine requests yet? You can so 1-3 before attempting this boss, that may help (as you gain levels and more JP).

On like the 4th fight with the archers on top of the hill and the unique named boss dude. I'm getting torn to shreds.

Go to the shrine and do some requests to level up your characters. You can also get some attributes (EV+3, ATK+2 etc) by giving the shrine some money.

Also make sure to change the Passive abilities that you unlock since some of them are really useful and keep an eye out on the Skill system that you keep levelling up to gain new abilities.

hawk2025

It's a great level to teach you about exploiting aggro.

Ramp up Kuma's aggro, and have him defend on every turn while your other characters climb the hill.

Kid Marin

Balance issue? Only at chapter 3 and it feels weird to have maxed most of the jobs. Having less upgrade goals for my team is dragging the game down.

Finally decided to get this game and I'm kinda annoyed at myself I waited so long to do so. The class system looks like a bunch of fun and I'm rather fond of the mythological Japanese aesthetic. I also love the fact that this game has an aggro mechanic. It's what the defence classes from games like FFT and TO were sorely lacking.

Can I presume that the Increase JP skill from the priest class is basically mandatory?

I bought this game because it reminded me of Saiyuki so much and I enjoy it.

My only complain so far is the slow pace of the battle. I turned off the animation so it's a little bit better.

Well I finished this. The story and presentation are bad and never get any better, but mechanically it's a decent FFT clone. It's was a ok game to play while watching or listening to other things in the background, just don't expect a complete package out of this.

Finished just now. It's as many has said, a decent tectics RPG, FFT clone.

Final boss was kinda difficult.
glad that I have a Barrierist. The last boss kept spamming those status magic

Did they ever patched in the missing english subtitles for cutscenes? I'd like to play it in japanese, but it's pointless with cutscenes like that.

Been slowly making my way through this game. I don't understand why someone that isn't the main character gets such a huge push. It's already annoying when the MC is forced in every battle, but having some schmuck forced every battle too is ridiculous . . . or so I thought. But actually, it's just annoying. What's ridiculous is this dude having his own fucking forced solo battle. This game is something else . . .

Top Bottom