• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered available now standalone

jbug617

Banned
Gematsu says 6/29 on XB1 and PC. Not sure if that means both physical and digital will be released at the same time.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, which was originally only included with the Legacy Edition or higher of 2016's Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, will launch physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 on June 27 for $39.99, followed by Xbox One and PC on June 29, Activision announced.
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/call-dut...lone-launches-ps4-june-27-xbox-one-pc-june-29

Tunavi

Banned
Locked to IW initially because fuck you
Now stand alone
Timed exclusive
DLC sold separately

I don't think I want to support the ww2 Cod coming out because of this

NuKERxyz

Timed Exclusive on PS4. I believe the listing for the XB1 version is 7/27
DDBa3FnXgAAkTTR

W T F ?

giphy.gif

Meanwhile half of the people in this thread probably own Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Collection, MCC, etc., all of which were priced $40-60 and don't offer nearly as much as this remaster does. It is really a great remaster, some who put 30d into COD4 in its heyday, there were some things I would've done differently, but overall it's pretty great.

While I like this Remaster, this just isn't true.

cakely

This is like the third thread I've posted this in but they ruined my interest in the game with microtransactions long before they released the stand-alone version. Hard pass.

Also $40 + a $15 map pack? Someone at Activision has a wicked sense of humor.

decisions

And all of that is negated by the simple fact they lied to us fans that it would be the game we remember.

And not just on one occasion, remember the time Drift0r spoke to a dev and did a video saying he was told the lootboxes were only going to be cosmetic only? Well about that.....

It's pretty much the game you remember, unless cosmetic stuff really bothers you for some reason. The few new weapons really don't make that much difference to the gameplay, they just don't, none of them provide a different playstyle/strength that isn't already occupied by the new weapons. They just give old fans like me some novelty, that's the way I see it.

OK it's shitty that they lied about lootboxes but I'm not going to act like it ruins all of the good things about this remaster.

TLOU Remastered is basically an up-rez with a better framerate, but its multiplayer isn't choopped up.
Uncharted Collection includes three full games, any one of which is twice the length of MW's campaign. It also improves their controls and doubles their framerates.

MCC is fucking broken. With that said, I challenge you to convince me or anyone else that MCC, by your words, "doesn't offer nearly as much" as MW: Remastered does.

If your descriptions of TLOU Remastered and UC Collection are worth $40-60, then so is this, no question. The multiplayer here is far superior and far more rich content-wise. The graphical difference between the original and remaster, aka the main feature of a "remaster", is greater as well.

As for MCC, you said it yourself. The multiplayer doesn't fucking work...so no it does not offer as much as a fully-functioning COD4 does.

Fugu

I had a LAN a couple of weeks ago where we played CoD 4. No DLC, no DRM, no compatibility problems, no bullshit.

Why would I pay $40 for this?

My point is a large number of folks were never going to buy the game anyway, no matter what they did.
What?

Yes, this is how all products work. My mom was not interested from the outset regardless of the DLC situation; the last game she purchased was Klax in 1991.

How is this at all relevant to the entirely legitimate concerns that are keeping people who might've bought this from pulling the trigger?

lol the hate for this remaster is so ridiculously unwarranted. I've been playing MWR consistently recently and it's easily the best COD on the market in nearly every aspect. It's the best COD game with more unlocks and ranks to play for, and a pretty great graphical upgrade.

Nearly all of the loot box stuff is cosmetic, and so the new characters, weapon camos, kits, etc. just spice up the reward a good deal. The new guns are good, but they are not better than some of the base weapons so they really don't bother me at all.

The way they handled the map pack was total bullshit, won't defend that.

Meanwhile half of the people in this thread probably own Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Collection, MCC, etc., all of which were priced $40-60 and don't offer nearly as much as this remaster does. It is really a great remaster, some who put 30d into COD4 in its heyday, there were some things I would've done differently, but overall it's pretty great.
I mean this sounds like you have a bit of bias towards the game in the first place.
As a business practice; Activision is up to a load of shit. Pricing the game at $40 standalone like eight months after it was originally released as a pre-order bonus for a fancy edition of another game, then adding microtransactions (however uselessly cosmetic they are) and then charging $15 for a DLC pack of nearly 10 year old maps that originally cost $10 that they just slapped new textures on and shoved in an updated engine is ludicrous.
As an aside, I own 3 Remastered games/collections: Beyond Good and Evil (I believe was PS+ giveaway) Jak & Daxter Collection (PS2 busted and they are childhood memories / split cost with a friend) and the Ico/ SotC collection (SotC is lovely and I couldn't find a copy of Ico for a solid price) not one hit me with extras to purchase after the game and not one was held back from being standalone by another game / publisher.
And to tackle your list of other remasters; Last of Us was released feature complete (the MP has cosmetics for purchase or unlock through gameplay) and was $50 @ launch a year after the game came to PS3. the Uncharted Collection was $60 at launch for three highly acclaimed single player experiences ($20/each) and the MCC was $60 for four campaigns, and four distinct multiplayer environments.
What I'm getting at is; fuck off with your bias towards a game that is pushing shitty business practices enabled by people like yourself.

If your descriptions of TLOU Remastered and UC Collection are worth $40-60, then so is this, no question. The multiplayer here is far superior and far more rich content-wise.

As for MCC, you said it yourself. The multiplayer doesn't fucking work...so no it does not offer as much as a fully-functioning COD4 does.

I didn't say they that TLOU and UC Collection were worth $40-$60. You know what, though?

They were definitely worth the $10 and $15 respectively that I paid for them. The $10 and $15 respectively that they've been regularly priced at for a long time now.

Master Chief Collection was so cheap at one point (less than five dollars) that I bought copies for all of my friends. MCC's campaigns work, and that's five campaigns, two of which are totally remastered.

At any rate, something tells me Modern Warfare Remastered ain't gonna drop in price like that so soon.

Fugu

lol the hate for this remaster is so ridiculously unwarranted. I've been playing MWR consistently recently and it's easily the best COD on the market in nearly every aspect. It's the best COD game with more unlocks and ranks to play for, and a pretty great graphical upgrade.

Nearly all of the loot box stuff is cosmetic, and so the new characters, weapon camos, kits, etc. just spice up the reward a good deal. The new guns are good, but they are not better than some of the base weapons so they really don't bother me at all.

The way they handled the map pack was total bullshit, won't defend that.

It's not unwarranted. I played the original version of the game a couple of weeks ago. Buying this for $40 would be paying $40 for something I already own but somehow with less features.

RedSwirl

The singleplayer actually is one of the best remasters.

They didn't improve the graphics "just a little bit." They brought it forward an whole console generation while preserving the original art direction. It's still COD4 but looks like a brand new current-gen game. What really caught me off-guard is how they redid the sound design which is way better now.

The in-game vsync on PC sucks though.

decisions

I mean this sounds like you have a bit of bias towards the game in the first place.
As a business practice; Activision is up to a load of shit. Pricing the game at $40 standalone like eight months after it was originally released as a pre-order bonus for a fancy edition of another game, then adding microtransactions (however uselessly cosmetic they are) and then charging $15 for a DLC pack of nearly 10 year old maps that originally cost $10 that they just slapped new textures on and shoved in an updated engine is ludicrous.
As an aside, I own 3 Remastered games/collections: Beyond Good and Evil (I believe was PS+ giveaway) Jak & Daxter Collection (PS2 busted and they are childhood memories / split cost with a friend) and the Ico/ SotC collection (SotC is lovely and I couldn't find a copy of Ico for a solid price) not one hit me with extras to purchase after the game and not one was held back from being standalone by another game / publisher.
And to tackle your list of other remasters; Last of Us was released feature complete (the MP has cosmetics for purchase or unlock through gameplay) and was $50 @ launch a year after the game came to PS3. the Uncharted Collection was $60 at launch for three highly acclaimed single player experiences ($20/each) and the MCC was $60 for four campaigns, and four distinct multiplayer environments.
What I'm getting at is; fuck off with your bias towards a game that is pushing shitty business practices enabled by people like yourself.

I am not defending the way they treated the map pack.

As for your "tackling" of my list of remasters...You say yourself that Last of Us

- was "feature complete". OK, how is MWR not feature complete? Sure, it doesn't have the 4 maps that were so disliked so much that I had many friends a decade ago delete the map pack they bought so that they didn't come up in the rotation. This is how I played the game back in the day, I certainly don't feel like my game isn't "feature complete".
- "has cosmetic for purchase or unlock through gameplay". So, the exact same system that MWR has? I can't believe you bought that, you're clearly "pushing shitty business practices enabled by people like yourself". Also I haven't bought a single microtransaction in MWR, pretty sure I am not the reason why they're in the game, so please don't assume that I am somehow enabling such a practice by not partaking in it.
- was 50$. Hmm, so you bought a less significant graphical upgrade than I did for $10 more, and criticize me?

UCC is not "feature complete", they removed the MP from every game! I mean come on, if 18 hours of singleplayer is worth $60 than how is MWR not worth $40? Just seems dishonest to me.

The remaster sucks anyway, chopping the MP all up and then adding in micro transactions AND charging for the Variety Pack AND more timed exclusive BS. It's almost like they're just testing out how shitty they can be over at Activision.

The MP might as well not even exist. But buy it cheap for the SP.

It's pretty much the game you remember, unless cosmetic stuff really bothers you for some reason. The few new weapons really don't make that much difference to the gameplay, they just don't, none of them provide a different playstyle/strength that isn't already occupied by the new weapons. They just give old fans like me some novelty, that's the way I see it.

OK it's shitty that they lied about lootboxes but I'm not going to act like it ruins all of the good things about this remaster.

If your descriptions of TLOU Remastered and UC Collection are worth $40-60, then so is this, no question. The multiplayer here is far superior and far more rich content-wise. The graphical difference between the original and remaster, aka the main feature of a "remaster", is greater as well.

COD4R is no way worth $40 and no one should buy it with all of the shit that they did, adding loot crate guns and $15 DLC.

Everyone stay far away, don't buy it and reward this shit.

Jeremy

I used to give new CoDs a chance regardless of anything but this game (along with IW for sure) broke me permanently. I'm pretty upset about it still.

decisions

COD4R is no way worth $40 and no one should buy it with all of the shit that they did, adding loot crate guns and $15 DLC.

Everyone stay far away, don't buy it and reward this shit.

Oh no, they added new cosmetic items that I can unlock without paying for them? And loot crate weapons that aren't better than the guns I already have, that I can also earn without paying for them? So evil!

People are so hyperbolic about this game, it's ridiculous. If I made the game I wouldn't have done it this way, but it in no way ruins the game, makes you virtuous for not purchasing it, or me mindless for buying it.

As for your "tackling" of my list of remasters...You say yourself that Last of Us

- was "feature complete". OK, how is MWR not feature complete? Sure, it doesn't have the 4 maps that were so disliked so much that I had many friends a decade ago delete the map pack they bought so that they didn't come up in the rotation. This is how I played the game back in the day, I certainly don't feel like my game isn't "feature complete".
- "has cosmetic for purchase or unlock through gameplay". So, the exact same system that MWR has? I can't believe you bought that, you're clearly "pushing shitty business practices enabled by people like yourself". Also I haven't bought a single microtransaction in MWR, pretty sure I am not the reason why they're in the game, so please don't assume that I am somehow enabling such a practice by not partaking in it.
- was 50$. Hmm, so you bought a less significant graphical upgrade than I did for $10 more, and criticize me?

I'm pretty sure you compare apples to oranges when you compare a single player game to a multiplayer game so no one will agree. Plus, you really can't compare them because TLOU:R was pretty much a GOTY edition that came with everything included (expansions & maps) and wasn't a 10 year old game.

I think people are pretty mad that they locked this game behind another game for so long and now expect to sell it at what is an overpriced amount.

U still need the infinite warfare disc.

That's just stupid if true.

How bad are the micro transactions ?

Just skins ? Or are they upgraded weapons with better stats ?
They added new, OP guns. The game is now pay2win. The drop rate for keys is incredibly slow.

They are also charging $15 for a mappack they originally charged $10 for in 2008. Even accounting for inflation that's only $11.59.

They ruined this game, fullstop. It was fun for the first few months, but the OP microtransaction loot crate guns and the paid DLC ruined it. The game is a scam.

decisions

I'm pretty sure you compare apples to oranges when you compare a single player game to a multiplayer game so no one will agree. Plus, you really can't compare them because TLOU:R was pretty much a GOTY edition that came with everything included (expansions & maps) and wasn't a 10 year old game.

I think people are pretty mad that they locked this game behind another game for so long and now expect to sell it at what is an overpriced amount.

That's just stupid if true.

Both TLOU and COD4 have MP & SP. Not sure what you mean by your first sentence. They're perfectly comparable, they're both remasters. MWR had greater "remastering" and it still costs less.

dugdug

Banned
Does anyone know if I still need to have the Infinite Warfare disc in the drive to activate my copy of Modern Warfare Remastered?

I've been playing since day one, but, I wonder if this removes that handshake or not.

Does anyone know if I still need to have the Infinite Warfare disc in the drive to activate my copy of Modern Warfare Remastered?

I've been playing since day one, but, I wonder if this removes that handshake or not.
You still need the disc AFAIK. Apparently the version that comes with IW and the standalone are separate on the store.

Jake2by4

Yep you still do.

I am not defending the way they treated the map pack.

UCC is not "feature complete", they removed the MP from every game! I mean come on, if 18 hours of singleplayer is worth $60 than how is MWR not worth $40? Just seems dishonest to me.

I didn't buy The Last of Us Remastered, for one. I don't think the multiplayer was ever a draw in Uncharted, I wish it was there but I'm not disheartened I got my money's worth from the campaign's and is also a game I did not purchase (I bought the originals on Ps3 and felt I got my money's worth from single player alone.
And I'm talking specifically about the business practice of bundling the remaster in as a pre order bonus, then charging more for extra content than it was originally, and then months later releasing it standalone without all of the content available for the game.
Any other remaster or HD rerelease or what have you I can think of came with any DLC content (maps, weapons, etc) that was released for the original game. I'm sorry your friends didn't like the Variety Map Pack back in the day, but nobody should be expected to spend more money on a product 9 years later just because it was given a fresh coat of paint.
Cosmetic micro transactions I couldn't care less about, they aren't features or detriments to a game or it's merits. Simply I think that Activision's handling of MW Remastered has been ridiculous and shitty business practices through-and-through, and this has managed to top all the other trash they've done with the remaster, in my opinion.

Tankard

So it was really $40, huh? Lol.

Will wait for any promo at 20 bucks with all DLC included, if no DLC then 15 bucks at the most.

If i never find these prices ok, i can live without having played it. I already played the original for so long, can still do that btw.

So it was really $40, huh? Lol.

Will wait for any promo at 20 bucks with all DLC included, if no DLC then 15 bucks at the most.

If i never find these prices ok, i can live without having played it. I already played the original for so long, can still do that btw.
This'll never happen. Activision still charges full price for all of their games since BO2 and never has a sale more than 50% off, at most.

Does this come with all of the DLC that's been released?
Nope . Still $15 for the DLC. Plus whoever knows how much to get the RNG loot crate DLC guns.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oh no, they added new cosmetic items that I can unlock without paying for them? And loot crate weapons that aren't better than the guns I already have, that I can also earn without paying for them? So evil!

People are so hyperbolic about this game, it's ridiculous. If I made the game I wouldn't have done it this way, but it in no way ruins the game, makes you virtuous for not purchasing it, or me mindless for buying it.
It's not a pure remaster. They made changes to the formula that a lot of people aren't going to agree with. So it's not surprising to see a backlash.

rfield84

Banned
This'll never happen. Activision still charges full price for all of their games since BO2 and never has a sale more than 50% off, at most.

Nope . Still $15 for the DLC. Plus whoever knows how much to get the RNG loot crate DLC guns.

Hahahaha, fuck that. Just gonna buy some stuff on the Steam Summer Sale. Thanks for the answer, though.

RedFury

Well that's pretty much why I dropped CoD. Lack of innovation is one, the other as this thread is a perfect example of... the meatheaded Neanderthals that would happily eat shit with a smile.

Top Bottom