• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chapo Trap House [OT] Speed Boat Dope Cocaine Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

What did they do?
DL9PRpZWkAIBUqh.jpg%3Alarge
Really not sure what kind of reactions they expected. Shit's stupid.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Really not sure what kind of reactions they expected. Shit's stupid.

Not really sure why Bill Cosby has a star on the sidewalk of fame or whateverthefuck it's called...?

androsky is a trashy d-tier nick mullen and I wish they didn’t associate with him. the way he doubled down on that joke initially was telling. no idea what Matt and will were thinking.

felix’s apology was good, especially the donation, but I don’t know what compelled him to do that in the first place.

they have admittedly been very good about getting diverse guests on the show, but at some point they are going to need to figure out where the line is with this irony thing. and I really wish they were willing to own up to fucking up on the show instead of burying it in reply threads on twitter.

it goes beyond their own reputations. whether they like it or not chapo has become one of the most visible and power liar leftist media, and when they act like this they just discredit everyone.

the outright hostility I’ve seen to them on leftist twitter circles today was surprising but honestly deserved.

Dude Abides

Banned
Didn't realize there was a Chapo thread. Biederman was on Jon Lovett's last show. It was kind of awkward since the Crooked Media guys are the type of earnest liberals the Chapo guys make fun of all the time.

I don't know why anyone listens to these guys. They're fucking scumbags who use words like "autistic" as an insult and have a rotten sense of humor in general, Biderman should have never been invited to a Crooked show in the first place. No sympathy for him crying about being edited.

I don't know why anyone listens to these guys. They're fucking scumbags who use words like "autistic" as an insult and have a rotten sense of humor in general, Biderman should have never been invited to a Crooked show in the first place. No sympathy for him crying about being edited.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone listens to anyone else.

yeah man crooked media founder jon favs has never done anything extremely regrettable publicly while in a position of influence

they're better than shitlibs but yeah generally whatever social trend has given them prominence/momentum is already well to the left of them

Are you actually equivocating this with Chapo regularly spouting ableist garbage insults on their podcast, telling everyone who doesn't align with their smug white Berniebro politics to shut up and get on their knees, that Joy Reid is a phony, etc.?

Like the Bill Cosby thing isn't even the worst thing they've done and the fact that they're considered representative of the left at all is fucking baffling.

Squire

Banned

Obviously not cool, but I don't know what I was expecting.

Are you actually equivocating this with Chapo regularly spouting ableist garbage insults on their podcast, telling everyone who doesn't align with their smug white Berniebro politics to shut up and get on their knees, that Joy Reid is a phony, etc.?

Like the Bill Cosby thing isn't even the worst thing they've done and the fact that they're considered representative of the left at all is fucking baffling.

Totally.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Chapo is cool as shit and you two are making me want to hop on that Patreon.

Can you point out one ep where they've called somebody autistic? I've been listening since late last year and haven't heard them use a slur like that.

their existence is justified by the mere fact that centrist lib crybabies get this flustered.

they should stop making autism jokes, that is the only thing in that shitty post I will agree with

but yeah, they need to do better than edgelord comedy

Chapo is cool as shit and you two are making me want to hop on that Patreon.

It comes down to what do you do about people you like listening to that have problematic aspects about them or have done stupid actions. For me, as of right now, the positives outweigh the negatives in regards to Chapo. They've brought on a great variety of guests, had some very good political conversations, and have a sarcastic mean streak that I enjoy (it becomes a problem though when it punches down).

I just made a long post about my current frustrations with chapo, so I’m not really down to defend their choice of language. But I think this is an incredibly shallow and disengious read of their politics.

Can you point out one ep where they've called somebody autistic? I've been listening since late last year and haven't heard them use a slur like that.

they used too sometimes, they’ve toned down a lot. it’s kinda a grey area regardless since the two who did it the most (felix and Virgil) also pretty heavily insinuated they were on the spectrum themselves.

You're right, what Lovett did is worse.

JustenP88

It comes down to what do you do about people you like listening to that have problematic aspects about them or have done stupid actions. For me, as of right now, the positives outweigh the negatives in regards to Chapo. They've brought on a great variety of guests, had some very good political conversations, and have a sarcastic mean streak that I enjoy it becomes a problem though when it punches down).

Yeah, I've only listened to, maybe, a dozen episodes and it's generally funny and interesting. There have been a couple things that have made me cringe, but nothing that has stood out in particular.

I honestly can never interpret any of the outrage pointed towards them as being anything other than people being whiny about their distaste for Democrats. Puppy dude pretty much confirms that with "Bernie bro, bend the knee, leave Joy Ann Reid alone."

I might throw $5 at Chapo because of that stupid "bend the knee" shit alone.

Gee I wonder why he's more upset about this than confederate statues.

God dammit. $10.

Yeah, I've only listened to, maybe, a dozen episodes and it's generally funny and interesting. There have been a couple things that have made me cringe, but nothing that has stood out in particular.

I honestly can never interpret any of the outrage pointed towards them as being anything other than people being whiny about their distaste for Democrats. Puppy dude pretty much confirms that with "Bernie bro, bend the knee, leave Joy Ann Reid alone."

Their rant about demanding everyone bend the knee to their ideology was not a joke, incase you weren't listening to that episode closely. They genuinely believe that every democrat needs to shut up and do what they say. They're not interested in a back and forth or actual discussion about governing and politics, they're just interested in standing on a soapbox yelling about how correct their worldview is. They don't actually have any fucking awareness of life outside of their own bubble.

God dammit. $10.

like most of the left, they get an enormous amount of bad-faith criticism from centrist/center-left Dems bitter about the 2016 primary (i.e. the ludicrous "bend the knee" brouhaha a couple months back), but a lot of those calling out the Cosby joke are fellow leftists and they're not wrong to do so

Their rant about demanding everyone bend the knee to their ideology was not a joke, incase you weren't listening to that episode closely. They genuinely believe that every democrat needs to shut up and do what they say. They're not interested in a back and forth or actual discussion about governing and politics, they're just interested in standing on a soapbox yelling about how correct their worldview is. They don't actually have any fucking awareness of life outside of their own bubble.

christ, it was a Game of Thrones reference and it was clearly directed at people with institutional power in the party, not rank-and-file Clinton primary voters. I've never heard them target the latter

JustenP88

Fuck yeah these dudes sound dope

like most of the left, they get an enormous amount of bad-faith criticism from centrist/center-left Dems bitter about the 2016 primary (i.e. the ludicrous "bend the knee" brouhaha a couple months back), but a lot of those calling out the Cosby joke are fellow leftists and they're not wrong to do so

Yeah, I don't even get the intended point of the Cosby thing but it was definitely tone-deaf as fuck.

Ah, shit the HilGAF swarm...

aeolist

Banned
if you think that was about them personally ruling the democratic party and not a general statement about centrists needing to move left you might be projecting just a bit

I find this obsession with irony to be reminiscent of pre-2008 4chan.

If they're counting on their fans to "get the joke" all the time they are barking up the wrong tree

They're right, friend.

pigeon

Banned
What a weird surprise to discover that the people who love Chapo also love misogyny and racist jokes

I'm so taken aback

Just peeked at the Chapo subreddit - yikes. Too many channer edgelords.

What are you talking about, haven't you heard that there are no actual racist and sexist leftists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom