• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Decided to take a crack at this

The expressions in the classic art are lulzy as hell. Love those smiles

beril

Decided to try this because I love the Higurashi Anime, but I've never really played/read a pure visual novel before (played games like 999 and VLR that are VN combined with puzzle elements ). Not really convinced yet; the story is progressing very slowly and the presentation doesn't really help with that, and the localisation isn't very good. But I finally finished the first episode so it's starting to get interesting. The
teaparty
was hilariously weird.

Decided to try this because I love the Higurashi Anime, but I've never really played/read a pure visual novel before (played games like 999 and VLR that are VN combined with puzzle elements ). Not really convinced yet; the story is progressing very slowly and the presentation doesn't really help with that, and the localisation isn't very good. But I finally finished the first episode so it's starting to get interesting. The
teaparty
was hilariously weird.

Just a warning: the beginning of Episode 2 is one of the slowest parts of the whole series. Power through it.

Episode 3 is my favourite of the first 4, best pacing IIRC.

PsionBolt

teaparty
was hilariously weird.

Episode 1's glacial pacing is definitely one of Umineko's biggest weaknesses. The episode serves an important role overall, but each individual scene is about twice as long as it needs to be. It's unfortunate, because I think the slow start turns many people away who would have very much enjoyed the series if it were a bit more brisk at the beginning. The pacing picks up as the series progresses, but that's not much help when folks don't make it to the later parts in the first place.

Once I pick this version up, I'll be interested to compare its writing with the fan translation and see how much differs. From what I hear, I'm gonna guess they didn't change much -- the fan translation reads quite stiffly, especially in the early episodes, and that sadly doesn't seem to have changed.

cj_iwakura

teaparty
was hilariously weird.

It's one of those slow burns that's worth the build up for the payoff, like Steins;Gate.

Progress is being made on the modding front:
Lots of progress on Umineko's patch. The script with voice files should be around 95% complete. I'm going to start working on graphics now.
Let's see how long it takes to release a beta version. I still need to find where the resolution is to manually fix it before releasing

BTA

I'm going to wait for a sale before I pick it up (I own the JP releases of 4 and 8 was well as various side things and the fighting games, and I'm not replaying it anytime soon so just showing my support doesn't quite justify full price to me), but I'm so happy to see this come out in English officially. Umineko is probably one of the most important works of fiction I've experienced, not just because of it being an excellent thing by itself, but because of the friends I made due to it and how they've influenced me. I really hope y'all playing it for the first time enjoy it.

Please use the original sprites, though! They're charming, and they'll grow on you quicker than you'd think. The pachinko art is just ugly and I'm surprised they didn't go for redraws like Higurashi instead. PS3 art's fine, if there's a mod for that, but even they don't have the goofy charm of the originals.

bobawesome

I expected I'd stick with the new art going in but Maria's art was so hideously bad that I switched to the original style and haven't looked back. You get used to it pretty fast. I kinda love it.

bobawesome

Crafted a George/Shannon wallpaper...

Just kill me.

edit:

After the day 2 meeting with Kinzo, I think I can safely say:

gl4NdXx.png

bobawesome

16-17 hours later and I'm finally finished with the first episode. Much better than I expected. If this was just the beginning I can't wait to see how much better things get as I go along.

Just finished the first episode too. Took me a bit because of my vacation beforehand, but holy shit this game picks up so much after the first ten hours or so. Stoked to play more.

Durante

Just finished the first episode too. Took me a bit because of my vacation beforehand, but holy shit this game picks up so much after the first ten hours or so. Stoked to play more.
It basically picks up all the way through the first 40 or 50 hours (though there are some slow parts in the beginning of each chapter).

The intense parts around episode 3 and 4 get pretty damn intense though. Pretty damn intense.

16-17 hours later and I'm finally finished with the first episode. Much better than I expected. If this was just the beginning I can't wait to see how much better things get as I go along.

Just repeating my warning from before: EP2 beginning is one of the slowest parts of the entire game but after you get through it you could say ''the real Umineko starts here''.

Plus you will be rewarded with EP3 right after which is my favourite episode of the first arc!

bobawesome

Just repeating my warning from before: EP2 beginning is one of the slowest parts of the entire game but after you get through it you could say ''the real Umineko starts here''.

Plus you will be rewarded with EP3 right after which is my favourite episode of the first arc!

Thanks for the warning, but I think I'm already over the slump. Even the slower moments I've enjoyed due to the extra character development.

AlucardGV

Banned
I'll wait until all voices and art are added, because I need my PS3 experience.

you're disgracing Bernkastel. Begone!

The intense parts around episode 3 and 4 get pretty damn intense though. Pretty damn intense.

that
ep 4 Tea Party

eh, funny because ep 1 is the one
closer to reality, no magic involved. that would make it the real one.

yeah ep 3. THE SUN AND THE WIND

oh man all those crazy theories while waiting for the next episode

I find it hard to imagine it'll be worse than the beginning of Ep. 1. But thanks for the heads up!

The OP videos and theory discussion remind me of how this game consumed me when the episodes were first being released/translated.

This. While i was waiting for Witch Hunt translations i spent so many hours that amaze me to this day... I think i visited every little community or blog about umineko plot at that time.

aravuus

I find it hard to imagine it'll be worse than the beginning of Ep. 1. But thanks for the heads up!

The very first hour or so definitely is, but I'm not sure if that's what Frank's talking about. I'm only a couple of hours into episode 2 myself anyway, haven't played Umineko in a long while since I kinda feel like doing Higurashi first and they're taking their sweet time with it.

This. While i was waiting for Witch Hunt translations i spent so many hours that amaze me to this day... I think i visited every little community or blog about umineko plot at that time.

Same here. Even though the game was poorly known, i remember trying to get as many people as possible to play it and was bumping a thread all the time.

I even went to IRL meetings to discuss the plot! People would make their own murders for other people to solve. Real family fun!

AHA-Lambda

OK, I've not finished episode 4 yet I just got to the first twilight, so keep that in mind as I ask this question.

Why on earth did Kinzo not summon Ronove, the Chiester sisters or Virgillia in the other episodes if he has the power to do so?

And I thought in Episode 3 Kumasawa and Virgillia were the same person but now they're not?

And now Beatrice is claiming to have set up the idea of smashing people's heads only halfway so Battler can identify them. But how?? She wasn't the one to kill them it was Kinzo who did it??

OK, I've not finished episode 4 yet I just got to the first twilight, so keep that in mind as I ask this question.

Why on earth did Kinzo not summon Ronove, the Chiester sisters or Virgillia in the other episodes if he has the power to do so?

And I thought in Episode 3 Kumasawa and Virgillia were the same person but now they're not?

And now Beatrice is claiming to have set up the idea of smashing people's heads only halfway so Battler can identify them. But how?? She wasn't the one to kill them it was Kinzo who did it??
There are answers but I'm not sure you want to know, if ya know what I mean.

AHA-Lambda

There are answers but I'm not sure you want to know, if ya know what I mean.

ok, if there are answers for these to come then great I'll hold off.

I'm really enjoying this story (more than higurashi) but the vagueness of how the machinations of magic/witches/spirits work etc when its so integral to the plot is starting to become quite irritating.

ok, if there are answers for these to come then great I'll hold off.

I'm really enjoying this story (more than higurashi) but the vagueness of how the machinations of magic/witches/spirits work etc when its so integral to the plot is starting to become quite irritating.
Just so you know you might have a bit of blue balls moment at the end of ep4 if you expect much to be resolved :(. But then again I think Umineko is much stronger in the journey rather than all the answers.

I have no idea how long until 5-8 get released but you can always get the japanese version and fan translation (which will likely be extremely similar to the "official" translation since it's based on it. But then again it would be nice for the official release to get as much support as possible.

AHA-Lambda

Just so you know you might have a bit of blue balls moment at the end of ep4 if you expect much to be resolved :(. But then again I think Umineko is much stronger in the journey rather than all the answers.

I have no idea how long until 5-8 get released but you can always get the japanese version and fan translation (which will likely be extremely similar to the "official" translation since it's based on it. But then again it would be nice for the official release to get as much support as possible.

ok, i might just have to wait then.

I'd rather wait for them to officially rerelease 5-8 and support them

AHA-Lambda

Argh, I'm so confused!!!

BIG SPOILER
so Kinzo was always dead?? The why did we see him in each episode!!??

tumblr_lmot3itrza1qafrh6_by_dreamscometrue711-d6a7jy1.gif

O__O

IfritTower

Neo Member
As much as I enjoy seeing this reaction to
Kinzo's death
, I know this is a common stumbling block for new readers. If you're having trouble understanding how
he could appear while being dead all along
, or why
the magical scenes don't seem to quite match up to the mystery
, I would revisit
Virgilia's talk with Battler in Episode 3 after the magic battle between her and Beatrice
. That conversation touches on a lot of the core themes of the series, and understanding what it's trying to say is integral to being able to solve the mystery.

bobawesome

I have no words for how absolutely insane Chapter 3 was. Even hearing others gush about it in this thread wasn't enough to prepare me.

TP

Argh, I'm so confused!!!

BIG SPOILER
so Kinzo was always dead?? The why did we see him in each episode!!??

O__O

That and the Ep4 tea party just pulled the rug out from under me

I finished reading it a while ago but I can't stop thinking about the whole thing

I'm going to have to read all 4 chapters again

bobawesome

Was I supposed to have already unlocked the Game Master LV1 achievement or am I missing something? I've read all the episodes but it's still locked. I tried Googling around but I think I may have unintentionally spoiled something and I'm afraid to look further.

Was I supposed to have already unlocked the Game Master LV1 achievement or am I missing something? I've read all the episodes but it's still locked. I tried Googling around but I think I may have unintentionally spoiled something and I'm afraid to look further.
If I can still remember shit from years and years ago, then there's still the Tea Party and ??? to play. They should have been unlocked after you finished the episodes.

bobawesome

If I can still remember shit from years and years ago, then there's still the Tea Party and ??? to play. They should have been unlocked after you finished the episodes.

I did complete all of the Tea Party and ???? episodes as well. Looking at the global achievements, more people have the Game Master LV1 achievement than the achievement for completing Episode 4. I know you can unlock the episodes at any point with the unlock button but I wouldn't think that would account for such a difference.

The description for it is "Read EP1-4" so my first instinct was to click the first episode and skip to the fourth option, thinking it was the game trying to pull one over on me.

I'm just so frustrated, haha. I'm not sure if it's the game bugging out or if this is a puzzle I'm meant to solve. I even re-read everything in the tips section of the menu.

I did complete all of the Tea Party and ???? episodes as well. Looking at the global achievements, more people have the Game Master LV1 achievement than the achievement for completing Episode 4. I know you can unlock the episodes at any point with the unlock button but I wouldn't think that would account for such a difference.

The description for it is "Read EP1-4" so my first instinct was to click the first episode and skip to the fourth option, thinking it was the game trying to pull one over on me.

I'm just so frustrated, haha. I'm not sure if it's the game bugging out or if this is a puzzle I'm meant to solve. I even re-read everything in the tips section of the menu.

Steam achievements sometimes bug-out if you play the game while offline. Did your connection drop for some amount of time while completing an Episode?

bobawesome

Steam achievements sometimes bug-out if you play the game while offline. Did your connection drop for some amount of time while completing an Episode?

I always started the game while online but my connection has been iffy the past few weeks. I don't usually bother with Steam achievements so I was unaware that was an issue. Thanks for the tip. I'll try fast-forwarding through the episodes sometime soon. Usually wouldn't bother but I loved everything about Umineko and it would be cool to have it as my first 100% on Steam.

bobawesome

So, it turns out the issue was related to one of the hidden achievements. Specifically, the one related to
the sound test.
Game Master LV1 unlocks afterwards. I had to turn to MangaGamer for the solution to this.

So, it turns out the issue was related to one of the hidden achievements. Specifically, the one related to
the sound test.
Game Master LV1 unlocks afterwards. I had to turn to MangaGamer for the solution to this.
It's been QUIIITE some time since I've played it, what do you mean by
sound test?

Top Bottom