• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do people still use IRC to chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used IRC in years.. But man it was the best from the late 90's through the 00s.

Think I first got on in like 1995 or some nonsense. Had so many online girlfriends.. Haha. I still keep in touch with a few people from back then. Being able to talk to people across the county.. And around the WORLD in 1995 was insane. And it was free. My parents didn't understand it at all.

Hell there was still local long distance calling back then.

vocab

IRC died for me when IRC search engines/CS 1.6 died. IRC will just be a forever underground thing like it always was. It doesn't need to be mainstream.

Joyful

literally thousands
but discord is the hot new thing or whatever, its basically irc with pictures/avatars/voicechat
both have their advantages/disadvantages

Kerensky

Banned
I used to love IRC way back in the day. wasted tons of times in all sorts of various channels.

is IRC still a thing? as popular as it used to be? do you use IRC? if so, where do all the cool kids hang out nowadays?

I will keep using it until ZNC and user-rooms are implemented in something modern.

Also i can't use discord over SSH.

AmyS

I haven't for awhile, but god I loved using IRC, especially on Dreamcast. Great memories.

IRC. AOL Instant Messenger. Usenet. etc.

That was social media of yesterday.

ironmang

Only ever used it for the competitive side of cs 1.6 up until about 10 years ago. Then ESEA happened and there stopped being a point for using IRC since they ran leagues, had a message system, and hosted servers. Kind of like how facebook replaced AIM/Messenger when they added the chat boxes.

WaterAstro

IRC is being used and people don't even know it.

The underlying chat tech behind Twitch and Discord is IRC.
IRC has always been versatile that it can fit into various Graphical UIs.

Novoitus

Banned
back when I was playing runescape and was in the clan scene our clan used SwiftIRC and mandated it for everyone. we also had a teamspeak that was mandated for wars/trips etc

i figure if we were open now we'd mandate discord since it combines the two

Kerensky

Banned
Yes.

Slack and Discord are proprietary, so... I'm not about that.

Another issue with Discord that wasn't been brought up is that the Electron js library causes an obscene drain on the processor on standby.
VScode also uses Electron, and even rendering a blinking cursor causes modern processors to use 25%.

This is not practical for many laptops.

FunkyMonk

I still use it to play dark heresy and rogue trader twice a week. As some of the players are in places with hardly any bandwidth its a much better option than the other services available.

Trouble

Banned
team_chat.png

In my experience change IRC to XMPP and this is accurate.

Eskiboy

Was always open back in the day while playing Runescape. Was the only was to keep clans organised as the game didn't really cater for massive clans/fights. Now most games like that have built in clan systems and separate chats for clans/friends.

eot

Banned
Not sure what you mean. Not having heard if something doesn't mean it's scary.

Googling it says it's some sort of chat program. Was this before the age of aim/msn
It's not a program, it's more of a protocol. Yes it predates msn, but it's not meant to be like msn. Twitch still uses IRC for their chats iirc. You just don't know because you've never used a standalone client, but it's why it's easy to set up chat bots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom