• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys have security cameras inside your house?

Estellex

My parents put security cameras outside and inside our house (Living room)

I think they are being paranoid but it seems like a lot of people are starting to do this nowadays.

BibiMaghoo

I picked one up to watch the street outside my house after my wing mirror was smashed on the pavement side of the road. They are really cheap now, you can get 900p ones for £30 that have online access to view on a smartphone through an app. It was worth every penny and allows me to flip it round remotely and see what my cats are up to.

Given how cheap and useful they are, I don't think it paranoid to have one or two, but maybe to watch the living room all the time is not needed and will make guests uneasy. They could put one in the hallway outside to catch anyone entering the house to steal if that is their concern.

Hissing Sid

Nope. Have a couple monitoring the exterior but none actually inside the house. I don’t need cameras to let me know exactly what my 17 year old gets up to when I’m not around....

The exterior cams have mostly been useful for catching couriers bullshitting about attempting to deliver parcels.

Worked with a guy once who had a habit of leaving his mobile on the mess room table whenever he had a call out. When he came back he’d invariably grab his phone and go for a piss....

.... Didn’t take a genius to work out what was going on. Unfortunately our mess room was all out of geniuses so I ended up holding a finger to my lips and pointing at the guys phone sat there all innocent like. Sure enough it turns out the weirdo had been recording the conversations going on while he was away.

Paranoid dick-head.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

LeFlamaBlanca

Neo Member
You don’t need cameras inside if you just photograph your belongings for insurance purposes. You’re just spending money that could be used for 4K outside cameras that are more than enough.

Ubername

Banned
Nope. Have a couple monitoring the exterior but none actually inside the house. I don’t need cameras to let me know exactly what my 17 year old gets up to when I’m not around....

The exterior cams have mostly been useful for catching couriers bullshitting about attempting to deliver parcels.

Worked with a guy once who had a habit of leaving his mobile on the mess room table whenever he had a call out. When he came back he’d invariably grab his phone and go for a piss....

.... Didn’t take a genius to work out what was going on. Unfortunately our mess room was all out of geniuses so I ended up holding a finger to my lips and pointing at the guys phone sat there all innocent like. Sure enough it turns out the weirdo had been recording the conversations going on while he was away.

Paranoid dick-head.

Wow, that is a weird story. Wasn't there a gaffer who was subject to similar eavesdropping via phone?

Estellex

Paranoid dick-head.

WOw I wonder how many people fell victim to things like that.

JordanN

Banned
Nope. Have a couple monitoring the exterior but none actually inside the house. I don't need cameras to let me know exactly what my 17 year old gets up to when I'm not around....

Worked with a guy once who had a habit of leaving his mobile on the mess room table whenever he had a call out. When he came back he'd invariably grab his phone and go for a piss....

.... Didn't take a genius to work out what was going on. Unfortunately our mess room was all out of geniuses so I ended up holding a finger to my lips and pointing at the guys phone sat there all innocent like. Sure enough it turns out the weirdo had been recording the conversations going on while he was away.

Paranoid dick-head.

What if his piss break was actually him beating off to your conversation?
MlFCfFW.png

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I have 4 Arlo wireless cams outside my house.

Front door, Side door, Front of House long ways yard (Covers front yard/windows) and Back Yard.

Have 2 wired cams inside house.

Looking down main entry/living/dining room area (basically you cant enter the house and not cross this line of sight)
And another in the basement (same set up. line of sight covers any movement to basement via inside house or rear entry/backyard door)

All motion activated/night vision etc.. Send me Alert to phone if activated and recording.

$600 on Bestbuy is what I paid

5F874FA28ED94DC29384B1AC76114A76.jpg

You drill a simple hole anywhere and then camera has a STRONG magnet that attaches to metal orb.
ARLO-Day1-00324-small.jpg

Outdoor wireless cams take CR123A Batteries. Hight traffic areas like doorways I change battery every month. 16 for $20 at Amazon
615pGX9RWRL.jpg

Love it.

Basically I open my phone at work and it looks like this (not my pics btw)

Arlo-app-video-thumbnails_1.jpg

I caught Amazon delivery guy tossing my packages so far, a drunk lady wondering around my front yard and a lady looking for her lost dog in my back yard.

Also watched my GF come home drunk, toss a wine bottle into the trash...miss...and bottle smash on pavement.
Which I then uploaded to my Instagram and shamed her lol

Front door, Side door, Front of House long ways yard (Covers front yard/windows) and Back Yard.

Looking down main entry/living/dining room area (basically you cant enter the house and not cross this line of sight)
And another in the basement (same set up. line of sight covers any movement to basement via inside house or rear entry/backyard door)

All motion activated/night vision etc.. Send me Alert to phone if activated and recording.

You drill a simple hole anywhere and then camera has a STRONG magnet that attaches to metal orb.

Outdoor wireless cams take CR123A Batteries. Hight traffic areas like doorways I change battery every month. 16 for $20 at Amazon

Love it.

Sounds like a great idea. Only thing I don't really wanna do though is drill holes into my house...

Do they have night vision?

SDCowboy

No but I'm planning on getting some soon. Someone got into my truck the other day, and it would have been nice to have a camera pointed at the area.

Estellex

615pGX9RWRL.jpg

Love it.

I caught Amazon delivery guy tossing my packages so far, a drunk lady wondering around my front yard and a lady looking for her lost dog in my back yard.

Also watched my GF come home drunk, toss a wine bottle into the trash...miss...and bottle smash on pavement.

Are you scared that your connection might get hacked and your house is now monitored outside? What if you are using it to view your cameras using public wifi?

Heath V

Nothing. Just plays into king of the castle fantasy for property owners. lame

Are you a property owner?? You seriously don't understand the benefits of a camera system? King of the castle fantasy? I can't tell if you're joking or not.

If some idiot robbed you would you rather have him on surveillance or rather not have a clue who did it?

I keep a piece of wood by my bed and a spare car alarm remote so I can hit the panic button if there's an intruder.

What is that going to do, lol a piece of wood?

615pGX9RWRL.jpg

Love it.

is this an ad?

Are you a property owner?? You seriously don't understand the benefits of a camera system? King of the castle fantasy? I can't tell if you're joking or not.

If some idiot robbed you would you rather have him on surveillance or rather not have a clue who did it?

What is that going to do, lol a piece of wood?

can you calm down

no one wants to steal your sega saturn

Heath V

can you calm down

no one wants to steal your sega saturn

I'm beyond calm and if you think I have cameras over a picture of what's in my avatar you're high.

You're the one that needs to calm down if you can't understand why a property owner wants surveillance. King of the castle fantasy?? I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing I've read all day.

Syriel

My parents put security cameras outside and inside our house (Living room)

I think they are being paranoid but it seems like a lot of people are starting to do this nowadays.

Make sure they secure them. Especially if inside.

Consumer level security cams are pretty poor about the actual security aspect, making it easy to view them remotely if someone just buys them at retail and sets them up.

Alx

I wouldn't call it paranoid and actually like the tech for having worked with it for some time. But I honestly wouldn't see the need for it at my home. It's cool to be able to see stuff on your phone when you're away... except that there's nothing interesting to see. :p
Yeah there's the burglary concern, but I guess modern burglars will be smart enough to hide their face. And if I had pets I could watch them mess around with the place, but then what ?

Estellex

Make sure they secure them. Especially if inside.

Consumer level security cams are pretty poor about the actual security aspect, making it easy to view them remotely if someone just buys them at retail and sets them up.

How would you secure them and what do you mean buys them at retail and sets them up?

I use a nest in my apartment for viewing the living room and front door. It’s connected to my WiFi any movement captured is automatically stored online for viewing so even if the camera is stolen or unplugged I have them the moment there in view

BANGS

Banned
I would never put cameras inside my house. That is just disgusting to me, everybody should feel free and uninhibited in their own home. There are zero benefits to having this kind of setup with the exception of maybe you have a nanny/maid/some other professional in your house that you would like to keep an eye on.

I WOULD however love to have a camera system around my property and at points of entry to said house. I can't afford such a thing just yet but one day...

My house has been burglarized twice now. The police tell you that without cameras there's very little hope of catching anyone. They dust for prints but never find anything. Just makes a mess. Since then I have installed very visible cameras as both a deterrent and possible evidence if it happens again (and I'm sure it will). I don't want to put them outside because leaves, animals, and all sorts of things can trigger alerts and waste battery.

prophetvx

No, Arlo cameras are just that good.

I have 5 myself, love them. Except mine are the Pro models, with rechargeable batteries. Much better, and 2 way audio.
They have pretty limited recording times and are wireless. They're entry level cameras at a pretty steep price point. No to mention anything with batteries suck in cold climates.

Great if you just want something that is easy to install, but if you want a long term surveillance solution, you absolutely need to get a hardwired installation. They use 2.4GHz RF, a thrifty burglar can easily jam that frequency if they wanted to... It costs them $300-500 to wipe out every entry level security system they want.

Most PoE solutions cost around $120-150 per camera which is much, much better.

MultiCore

They have pretty limited recording times and are wireless. They're entry level cameras at a pretty steep price point. No to mention anything with batteries suck in cold climates.

Great if you just want something that is easy to install, but if you want a long term surveillance solution, you absolutely need to get a hardwired installation. They use 2.4GHz RF, a thrifty burglar can easily jam that frequency if they wanted to... It costs them $300-500 to wipe out every entry level security system they want.

Most PoE solutions cost around $120-150 per camera which is much, much better.
You're preaching to the choir, but downplaying how good they are for most people.

They will never satisfy the paranoid or demanding, but they're enough to capture package theft, street traffic or rowdy teens on your property.

I manage several large security systems for charities, but am not interested in running the requisite cabling for my home at this time, not to mention the server you need for good motion detection.

Some day, not today.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm beyond calm and if you think I have cameras over a picture of what's in my avatar you're high.

You're the one that needs to calm down if you can't understand why a property owner wants surveillance. King of the castle fantasy?? I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing I've read all day.

You are not coming off as the calm one. Cameras don't stop anything from happening, and most people who go out and buy these easily defeated Arlo consumer systems are doing exactly what the person you're lashing out at said.

BANGS

Banned

Congratulations. You just got triggered by a joke account...

You are not coming off as the calm one. Cameras don't stop anything from happening, and most people who go out and buy these easily defeated Arlo consumer systems are doing exactly what the person you're lashing out at said.

Exactly

It’s very obvious who these products are marketed to but apparently I’m a “joke account” for pointing it out

A surveillance system with magnet mounted cameras... lmao

prophetvx

You're preaching to the choir, but downplaying how good they are for most people.

They will never satisfy the paranoid or demanding, but they're enough to capture package theft, street traffic or rowdy teens on your property.

I manage several large security systems for charities, but am not interested in running the requisite cabling for my home at this time, not to mention the server you need for good motion detection.

Some day, not today.

I'm not really downplaying anything. Those systems are so easily beaten without even stepping on your property. They may stop petty theft, but so would a dummy camera not even connected to anything.

When you factor in the most likely required $99+ subscription, they become very expensive versus paying for an install for a permanent solution.

It really has nothing to do with being paranoid, people doing smash and grabs are unlikely to care about security systems at all or deterred by a fake camera because they don't know any better. People who will actually do a significant robbery can disable those cameras in mere seconds.

It obviously depends on your financial situation and your property, but I'd personally much rather spend $1000 on 3 or 4 properly installed cameras over 5 cameras for $500 that do very little to protect your property.

Most PoE systems have cheaper cameras and their base recording station is $200-500 limited by the size of hard drive you decide to plug into it. Best Buy surveillance systems seem cheap until you factor in they're likely only built to last a couple of years, have expensive subscriptions and changed out every few years so you end up needing to re buy an entire system.

MultiCore

I'm not really downplaying anything. Those systems are so easily beaten without even stepping on your property. They may stop petty theft, but so would a dummy camera not even connected to anything.

When you factor in the most likely required $99+ subscription, they become very expensive versus paying for an install for a permanent solution.

It really has nothing to do with being paranoid, people doing smash and grabs are unlikely to care about security systems at all or deterred by a fake camera because they don't know any better. People who will actually do a significant robbery can disable those cameras in mere seconds.

It obviously depends on your financial situation and your property, but I'd personally much rather spend $1000 on 3 or 4 properly installed cameras over 5 cameras for $500 that do very little to protect your property.

Most PoE systems have cheaper cameras and their base recording station is $200-500 limited by the size of hard drive you decide to plug into it. Best Buy surveillance systems seem cheap until you factor in they're likely only built to last a couple of years, have expensive subscriptions and changed out every few years so you end up needing to re buy an entire system.
No subscription for up to 5 cameras.

You're paranoid. If someone is looking to break in and comes equipped with a jammer, they're gonna knock out your power as well. Unless you have everything on UPSs, you're still vulnerable. You need 3g/LTE monitoring at that point too.

llien

I'd see the point in outside cameras (to scare off, mostly), but then, that part is rather tricky in Germany (privacy concerns)

Syriel

How would you secure them and what do you mean buys them at retail and sets them up?

You're better off not buying any "out-of-the-box" system and instead going with a NAS or NVR that supports ONVIF cameras as your base station.

An example is one of the Synology units.

You then pair that with the cameras of your choice.

The cameras you use should have all "cloud" and "P2P" features disabled, and shouldn't be allowed to talk to anything outside of your local network. Really, they shouldn't be talking to anything on your network except the NAS/NVR box.

Your NAS/NVR should be behind a firewall, and only communicating via HTTPS. All HTTP comms should be disabled. All unnecessary ports should be disabled.

Here is an example website which catalogs consumer level cameras that have been improperly setup with open security:
http://www.insecam.org/en/bycountry/US/

Setting up an insecure system is worse than not having a system (especially if it is indoors) as it allows anyone in the world to monitor your property and learn your actions.

Estellex

You're better off not buying any "out-of-the-box" system and instead going with a NAS or NVR that supports ONVIF cameras as your base station.

An example is one of the Synology units.

You then pair that with the cameras of your choice.

The cameras you use should have all "cloud" and "P2P" features disabled, and shouldn't be allowed to talk to anything outside of your local network. Really, they shouldn't be talking to anything on your network except the NAS/NVR box.

Your NAS/NVR should be behind a firewall, and only communicating via HTTPS. All HTTP comms should be disabled. All unnecessary ports should be disabled.

Here is an example website which catalogs consumer level cameras that have been improperly setup with open security:
http://www.insecam.org/en/bycountry/US/

Setting up an insecure system is worse than not having a system (especially if it is indoors) as it allows anyone in the world to monitor your property and learn your actions.

Can you give me a guide how to properly secure the cameras? How do you put them behind a firewall? Is NightOwl a good brand to use?

prophetvx

No subscription for up to 5 cameras.

You're paranoid. If someone is looking to break in and comes equipped with a jammer, they're gonna knock out your power as well. Unless you have everything on UPSs, you're still vulnerable. You need 3g/LTE monitoring at that point too.
The "no subscription" gives you only 7 days worth of recordings. Absolutely useless if you go away on a holiday.

It takes a lot more to take out your power to your house than carrying a singular device that you can order off ebay for pocket change. To take out your power, someone either needs to take out a block or they need will be visible on your property. WiFi can be taken out without even getting close to your property.

Again, it's not being paranoid. Wifi is just a system that is easily circumvented and if your needs extend as far as worrying about whether your amazon package gets stolen, then dummy cameras do the trick. As for needing UPS's and an LTE connection, an NVR that dumps to a cloud storage solution is fine for home use. Taking out your power is a little far fetched.

Wifi systems like Arlo and Nest have great marketing but they aren't much cheaper than doing it right and will fail if you ever come across someone who will clear out your possessions. Both of them have magnetic mounts, throw a baseball at them and you've already defeated it. An alarm system is far more effective at stopping petty theft and the cops won't give a shit about your stolen amazon package.

Heath V

I don't own a Arlo consumer system, never even heard of one. I'm simply calling out an ignorant post that made absolutely zero sense.

MultiCore

The "no subscription" gives you only 7 days worth of recordings. Absolutely useless if you go away on a holiday.

It takes a lot more to take out your power to your house than carrying a singular device that you can order off ebay for pocket change. To take out your power, someone either needs to take out a block or they need will be visible on your property. WiFi can be taken out without even getting close to your property.

Again, it's not being paranoid. Wifi is just a system that is easily circumvented and if your needs extend as far as worrying about whether your amazon package gets stolen, then dummy cameras do the trick. As for needing UPS's and an LTE connection, an NVR that dumps to a cloud storage solution is fine for home use. Taking out your power is a little far fetched.

Wifi systems like Arlo and Nest have great marketing but they aren't much cheaper than doing it right and will fail if you ever come across someone who will clear out your possessions. Both of them have magnetic mounts, throw a baseball at them and you've already defeated it. An alarm system is far more effective at stopping petty theft and the cops won't give a shit about your stolen amazon package.
So, you get push notifications for any event you configure, anywhere you have cell or WiFi coverage. You can also get emails, if you so choose. The base station also has a 100db siren, that can be triggered on whatever criteria you set. If you're concerned about your security, and aren't able to look into it for a week, I don't know what to tell you.

Everything you've said about these systems has been inaccurate.

I get that you think it's not sufficient for "serious" use, but I find your claim that it has no place for anyone to be incorrect.

I agree that wired is better, I just ran a bunch of cat 7 through my attic for my 10Gbe network. But getting out to my eaves to place PTZ cameras is a pretty big hassle.

Arlo gets me cameras that cover all sides of my house, with 2 way audio, for 100s of events a day, for months at a time, without ever running a wire. I have secure mounts, and they're as rigid as any other camera mount. I even have local storage, so no, I'm not limited to a week of recording. That's just what's cloud accessible for free.

You've clearly never used one of these systems.

MultiCore

How do those website get access to the cameras? I don't understand.
Port scans.

Bots scan every IP address regularly. When a login comes up, they can determine what kind of hardware it is, and they try the default stuff.

Then it gets tagged and posted.
Keep your network as locked down as you can.

If you're real bored, look into pfSense.

prophetvx

So, you get push notifications for any event you configure, anywhere you have cell or WiFi coverage. You can also get emails, if you so choose. The base station also has a 100db siren, that can be triggered on whatever criteria you set. If you're concerned about your security, and aren't able to look into it for a week, I don't know what to tell you.
I've used both Nest and Arlo, and currently have Ubiquiti cams set up, I can say with 100% certainty that no one checks push notifications every time. I certainly wouldn't do it while I'm away unless it was at strange hours, unless I had my cams setup focussing purely on my property, even with active zones setup. Relying on my own actions to ensure that I have evidence is not something I'd want to trust. Often theft can go unnoticed for weeks, for example if items are taken from your garage.

Everything you've said about these systems has been inaccurate.

I get that you think it's not sufficient for "serious" use, but I find your claim that it has no place for anyone to be incorrect.
I have made no such claim. My first response to you was "Great if you just want something that is easy to install, but if you want a long term surveillance solution, you absolutely need to get a hardwired installation.". Which is true, they're a great tool for a short time period, but if you plan on protecting your house for years, it works out much more secure and cheaper using hardwired.

I agree that wired is better, I just ran a bunch of cat 7 through my attic for my 10Gbe network. But getting out to my eaves to place PTZ cameras is a pretty big hassle.
Cool?

Arlo gets me cameras that cover all sides of my house, with 2 way audio, for 100s of events a day, for months at a time, without ever running a wire. I have secure mounts, and they're as rigid as any other camera mount. I even have local storage, so no, I'm not limited to a week of recording. That's just what's cloud accessible for free.
Arlo unless things have changed since I owned it come with a magnetic ball mount. I was also unaware the pro version had usb recording, the standard Arlo absolutely does not support it.

You've clearly never used one of these systems.
Wrong.

Top Bottom