• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Wonder if Nintendo is clearing out 3DS stock during the holiday and going XL only for the future?

Or it could be to unload current stock since a new revision is coming out soon.

upandaway

I would love the XL price to go to 150 sometime before MH3U. Would make the decision to wait for Pokemon far, far either.

Also yeah this really smells like Nintendo clearing stock for a 3DS Lite.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nintendo isn't fighting Vita with this price-cut - that situation is already what it is - they're presumably fighting their own situation with 3DS. That is, they're presumably unhappy with 3DS sales in NA and are trying to boost them. The weird lateness of this cut suggests to me they were getting some troubling feedback from retail on holiday sales to date.

Wonder if Nintendo is clearing out 3DS stock during the holiday and going XL only for the future?

Or it could be to unload current stock since a new revision is coming out soon.

Don't see why they'd go XL only when there's actually a significant market for portables that are actually portable

I think the current 3DS pricing is fine. Why the hell are all the games so damn expensive though. The volume of quality games coming it out has been sorta disappointing as well in the west. Where are the must have rpg's?

At the moment my 3DS does fine as a DS player, since missed out on the DS generation(lot's of good games still damn pricy or hard to track down).

They're in Japan... there's a LOT of great titles that haven't made it over yet.

Alex

The is basically at my "buy it" price, but god, the battery is still probably kind of bad as well as those buttons being kind of crummy... come on revised 3DS.

The XL has solid battery life, hits that sweet spot that you should probably expect from modern portables in the 5~ish range, give or take based on settings. Now if they could include an appropriate battery with the Wii-U Pad, instead of the piece of shit they stuck in it.

CronoShot

By spring, perhaps. A 3DS Lite is a good opportunity to make the design consistent with the XL and to overhaul the hardware with more cost-effective parts.

As an XL owner, I would buy a regular sized 3DS with the XL's design changes in a red hot second.

jcm

Isn't the $180 3DS doing par when compared to the $99 GBA's launch or $130 DS's launch in America?

Of course, post-DS Lite, DS sales picked up massively, and the 3DS doesn't have any new hardware revision to do that, so lowering the price may curve the sales up in a somewhat similar fashion.

No, not even close. 3DS had a good launch, which makes the LTD comparison look good. Recent dsales are much worse. For example,in the first half of FY2012 3DS shipped 1.39M to NA. Software shipments to NA were 6.75M. For comparison, in the first half of FY2006 (the comparable year), DS shipped 2.40M, and software was 11.94M. Here's the whole set of numbers from these periods:

Code:
           DS 1H2006  3DS 1H2012    Difference
            HW    SW    HW    SW     HW     SW
Japan      461  2064   209   706   (252) (1358)
Americas   240  1194   139   675   (101)  (519)
Other      309  1059   158   522   (151)  (537)
Total     1009  4316   506  1903   (503) (2413)

M3d10n

At this rate how long will the 3ds be on the market? If this is true and $139.99 is the new MSRP then $99 is just around the corner. Nintendo maybe in for more trouble than they previously anticipated if they can't improve 3ds sales while also trying to support their brand new HD console.

The DS didn't really take off until it hit $129 and it had very little competition back then. Nintendo's worst mistake was trying to move upstream: it's obvious that the typical Western handheld consumer is very price-sensitive.

Also, I believe overall sales of DD content can offer enough added profitability to support more aggressive price points.

A price drop this late in the holiday season seems desperate to me. Hopefully this desperation leads them to overhauling the eShop and account system to offer a viable alternative to iOS along with taking what ever steps they need to get Japanese publishers on the localization train - I imagine the first step is a better digital store. Its crazy XSeed still can't get Unchained Blades up, there must be some serious bullshit on Nintendo's end

KalBalboa

Banned
No, not even close. 3DS had a good launch, which makes the LTD comparison look good. Recent dsales are much worse. For example,in the first half of FY2012 3DS shipped 1.39M to NA. Software shipments to NA were 6.75M. For comparison, in the first half of FY2006 (the comparable year), DS shipped 2.40M, and software was 11.94M. Here's the whole set of numbers from these periods:

Code:

That's an eye-opener.

Alex

Reading all the random bits about sales and modernization and what kids want, etc, I'm always a little surprised no one has tried to moneyhat a dedicated portable version of Minecraft yet. That always seemed like something that'd do extremely well, to me, especially considering the mobile one sells insanely well despite being a massive piece of shit.

A price drop this late in the holiday season seems desperate to me. Hopefully this desperation leads them to overhauling the eShop and account system to offer a viable alternative to iOS along with taking what ever steps they need to get Japanese publishers on the localization train - I imagine the first step is a better digital store. Its crazy XSeed still can't get Unchained Blades up, there must be some serious bullshit on Nintendo's end
I highly doubt that considering the turn-around on games like Bravely Default which took about a week from decision to launch. It's almost certainly on XSeed.

Interesting move. I wonder how this will effect their bottom line though. Looks like Nintendo will be posting a loss come March and it won't just be Wii U to blame.

If they release a redesign next year, 3D should be on the list of things to go. It's not needed and it is driving up the price. Ah, but the thing is called 3DS. Dang, tough call. Maybe they should be bold and rename the system for the America's and relaunch it!

NSMB 2 should be selling systems, but people are probably tired of that same ole "bah bah" save the princess by running through the same ground, desert, ice, beach, forest, mountain, sky, lava levels in the exact same order yet again. Oh, but with even more "bah bah."

Vita is a non player, I don't know what's so fun about comparing 3DS to that in the America's anymore. 3DS has got serious problems selling in the America's that Nintendo needs to resolve. And I think they can do it with the right games and forming a decent library with variety. The hardware is a barrier to entry as well. The price going down is a good thing. Software prices are kinda high too, and the software ment for on the go play being merely ten dollars cheaper than console games (used to be anyway) is a tough sell for certain titles.

Pokemon 3DS might be able to give the system a decent boost since that's a valuable franchise that has proven to sell at $39.99 (Heart Gold/Soul Silver with a pack-in gadget). From there, it's going to be tough selling high priced games to an audience that are getting tighter on spending, and are used to $29.99 priced handheld games for children. Good luck, Nintendo of America.

Josh7289

Code:

2006 and 2012 are not exactly comparable though, are they? The DS launched at the end of 2004 and the 3DS at the beginning of 2011, so those years should be offset a little. To make that comparison more fair, we should be comparing 3DS 1H2012 with a timeframe a few months earlier for the DS, right?

The DS didn't really take off until it hit $129 and it had very little competition back then. Nintendo's worst mistake was trying to move upstream: it's obvious that the typical Western handheld consumer is very price-sensitive.

Also, I believe overall sales of DD content can offer enough added profitability to support more aggressive price points.

The 3DS has already sold nearly 25 million units worldwide. That's already better than the GameCube's lifetime sales.

This price cut is trying to get WW sales to make the 50 million milestone.

Code:

Not exactly a fair comparison (DS has actually been longer on the market than 3DS in that comparison), especially considering that DS Lite launched in March/June/June (JP/US/Europe) 2006.

Now they just need to release some games in NA that interest me
and maybe lower the MSRP on said games
. Would love a true Lite revision too but if the XL version is only getting ~5 hrs of battery life...

Alex

Now they just need to release some games in NA that interest me
and maybe lower the MSRP on said games
. Would love a true Lite revision too but if the XL version is only getting ~5 hrs of battery life...

I find it doubtful you'll see another handheld get more than that, on average, until something gives with battery tech... or the other internals become so slimmed down and marginalized they can just stuff the entire thing full of batteries :lol

jcm

2006 and 2012 are not exactly comparable though, are they? The DS launched at the end of 2004 and the 3DS at the beginning of 2011, so those years should be offset a little. To make that comparison more fair, we should be comparing 3DS 1H2012 with a timeframe a few months earlier for the DS, right?

No, because if you shift them then you aren't accounting for the effects of seasonality, which is really important in the video game business. At the point of my comparison, the DS has one more quarter, but I'm not looking at any sort of cumulative number, so it really shouldn't make any material difference.

Eh.. 2014 or 2015.
Going by their last 15 years of form, 4 years of life is the maximum to expect before something comes out that plays a new range of games.

Nintendo is trying very hard to have the 3DS be a repeat of the DS...i.e. a seven year console lifecycle.

It's pretty obvious that's not going to happen. I see more a repeat of the GBA:

1. GBA released in 2001
2. GBA discontinued in 2006, five years later, and 81 million sales later
3. Successor released in late 2004

|
v

1. 3DS released in 2011
2. 3DS discontinued in 2016, five years later, and 81 million sales later
3. Successor released in late 2014

I think the current 3DS pricing is fine. Why the hell are all the games so damn expensive though. The volume of quality games coming it out has been sorta disappointing as well in the west. Where are the must have rpg's?

At the moment my 3DS does fine as a DS player, since missed out on the DS generation(lot's of good games still damn pricy or hard to track down).

Quite possibly the worst second autumn release list for Nintendo hardware ever.

Nintendo is trying very hard to have the DS be a repeat for the 3DS...i.e. a seven year console lifecycle.

Yeah but DSi was part of that, 4 years after the DS launched. Played downloadable games, faster processor, cameras yadda yadda. So something akin to that might happen again if it seems worth it.

I find it doubtful you'll see another handheld get more than that, on average, until something gives with battery tech... or the other internals become so slimmed down and marginalized they can just stuff the entire thing full of batteries :lol
Unfortunately. :-(

But I was just thinking how low that number would get if a smaller revision does come out. Portable form factor vs battery life is such a harsh reality. </firstworldproblems>

Yeah but DSi was part of that, 4 years after the DS launched. Played downloadable games, faster processor, cameras yadda yadda. So something akin to that might happen again if it seems worth it.

The DSi is more akin to a remodel, like Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket -> Game Boy Light

But the DS family of consoles lasted from late 2004 - 2011.

The GBA family was dead by 2006...

Nintendo isn't fighting Vita with this price-cut - that situation is already what it is - they're presumably fighting their own situation with 3DS. That is, they're presumably unhappy with 3DS sales in NA and are trying to boost them. The weird lateness of this cut suggests to me they were getting some troubling feedback from retail on holiday sales to date.
Yep. Parents seem to be flocking to the small and cheap tablets this year.

The DSi is more akin to a remodel, like Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket -> Game Boy Light

No it's like the Game Boy color, just without the color. They never pushed the exclusive features of the DSi very much but they were there. Erm, anyway, I think they'll make a new small 3DS before all of that, but it feels like the XL only just came out. Can't see it before next summer.

3DS is dead unless it gets regular releases of good titles, which is most probably not going to happen from Western major developers as they are almost exclusively focused on AAA titles that aren't in any way portable to 3DS. And a lot of indie developers have already moved to Apps. Maybe unless they are able to produce small sidekick projects like with Epic Mickey or Castlevania.

---
Personally, even if for $99, I don't see myself buying a 3DS XL, because it just doesn't have the games I want and I am not going to carry another device with myself that doesn't have the titles I want; at most 3 titles that I know I will be finishing. And if it's going to stay at home, I just can get another home console at almost the same price.

Interesting how people are reacting to this as a move of aggression and not desperation. The November sales figures must be rather alarming for them to price drop in the middle of the holiday season.

The reactions to it being them combating the Vita are the funniest, but I'm sure most of them aren't serious.

Wiz

Anyone expect them to release a 3DS lite - basically a regular 3DS with the form factor and design of an XL - to fill in the gap? Also could have better battery and other improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom