• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
Damn you. I want to use this GIF too. Oh well, double the fun.

survivor-smile.gif

Dude in the middle is diggin it.

Did someone mention games would see a downgrade from E3?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm actually serious.

edit: MS needs to parachute it's engineers into D.I.C.E. ASAP. The Xbox One is much more capable, but the unoptimal decisions are going to bite in the ass.

You said there would be downgrades (across the board?) because the alpha kit was more powerful than the retail units.

This game is being "downgraded" because it was first shown running with the highest settings possible on Pcs that were not devkits, and were more powerful than alpha devkits.

So even if you are right about the alpha kit being more capable than the final console, that game does not fit.

Stoffinator

I wish DICE would just come out and tell us what the next gen consoles will be. Wouldn't they know that by now? Must be close to going gold. Just annoying hearing all these "rumors" and waiting to pre order or not based on the quality.

thuway

Let's compare a game that has 64 players and destruction and vehicles and gigantic maps to one that has none of these.

Serious question, are you a complete idiot

Watch your mouth
, and this is my opinion.

I understand the open world nature of Battlefield 4, but they have made a ton of sacrifices and are putting in bare minimum effort on these console ports.

To give you an idea, even the Xbox One version should be running at higher than 720p in my opinion.

http://www.gamespark.jp/article/2013/09/29/43766.html

ブースにてDICEのプロダクトQA担当者に確認したところ、Xbox OneとPS4バージョン製品版の解像度およびフレームレートは同一を目指しているということでした。それにあわせて記事の内容を修正いたしました。最終的な仕様はEA/DICEから正式に情報公開されるまで不明です。

Google translate:

After a review of the product QA personnel of DICE booth , it was that the frame rate and resolution of the PS4 version product version and Xbox One that is aimed at the same . We modify the contents of the article to match. The final specification is unknown until it is officially published information from EA / DICE.

Bbut... But... Dualshockers.com confirmed!

So now 720p @ 60fps is poor?

I expect lots of people will be disappointed with this generation.
I was hoping for 1080p 60fps before reveal

sp3000

Watch your mouth

I understand the open world nature of Battlefield 4, but they have made a ton of sacrifices and are putting in bare minimum effort on these console ports.

To give you an idea, even the Xbox One version should be running at higher than 720p in my opinion.

I didn't realize you work for DICE and understand the intricacies of console development to be able to make the judgement that they put in a bare minimum of effort.

No, more likely your just another angry console fanboy who doesn't understand the first thing about game development and so resorts to the typical "lazy devs" excuse. Pathetic.

AzerPhire

So there is confirmation on the PS4 version being 1080p but not the XB1 version. A EA representative on a show floor does not work for DICE and is probably not aware of the current development state of either version.

Respawn

Banned
Well, 1080p if over 2.25x the pixels than 720p and PS4 is nowhere 2.25x more powerful than XB1. So if PS4 version would run at 1080p, the graphics would at least have to be turned down quite a bit. So probably no. 1600x900 (1.56x over 720p) is probable.Though I think it will be a bit lower than that still.

Ahh the juniors chime in

BF4 is going to look lacking on the PS4 if it ships at 720p, especially with most games running at 1080p. Wonder how it'll compare with COD? Whilst it'll obviously have more graphical flair, I wonder if CODs resolution advantage will actually make it appear more detailed in the eyes of most gamers?

720p games look like they have this extra coat of vaseline, so I bet most people will feel like they put glasses on going from BF4 to KZ and COD. In COD's case though, that will just mean you can see more clearly how shit the game looks.

pixlexic

Banned
Wrong! resolution is entirely GPU dependent and frostbite can advantage of several CPU cores with great performance so wrong again. the jaguar CPU cores in these consoles are not going to be a problem at all if optimized right.

This isn't frostbite.. and the physics and logic where developed for cpus that run at 3.2 ghz to cpus that run at 1.6. You can not just do that with out changing a lot of things around.

You can not just move code for a cpu thread to multiple threads on a whim. you cant move it to gpu compute on a whim.

It is not just about resolution.

I wish DICE would just come out and tell us what the next gen consoles will be. Wouldn't they know that by now? Must be close to going gold. Just annoying hearing all these "rumors" and waiting to pre order or not based on the quality.

They may be under an agreement with MS or PS to not give the exact details as it might have an effect on console sales.

StevieP

Banned

Watch your mouth

The scale and scope of battlefield is so much higher than corridor stuff like killzone it's not even worth comparing the 2 directly. That's why so much processing power was needed to max bf3 out on PC at 1080p. More processing power than either console has. Yes this is a launch port, and that will reflect. But comparing a corridor shooter to a game like battlefield is never an accurate way to gauge a system as one is far more demanding than another.

SuperSah

Banned
I don't see the issue to be honest.

But whilst we're here, can someone explain the difference between native resolutions and upscaled resolutions?

Bbut... But... Dualshockers.com confirmed!

THE PLOT THICKENS

Seriously, though...between all these announcements of sub-1080p games, games not running at 60fps, and all the games coming out on PC, the industry isn't doing much to convince me these new consoles are worth an early plunge. The games that aren't on PC or cross-gen this year aren't exactly barnburners for me either.

I don't see the issue to be honest.

But whilst we're here, can someone explain the difference between native resolutions and upscaled resolutions?

Upscaled resolution means that they're running it at a lower resolution than what the screen is actually set to. This can lead to games looking blurry and ugly if not done well.

Seeing so many games that ran below actual 720p that still had shitty framerates is the main reason I transitioned to PC.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just read the update on that article. Seems they are be aiming for resolution and framerate parity which is expected but pretty damn shitty for PS4 owners if that's the case. Unless they manage to hit that 1080P 60fps on both.

It's a launch game, dude.

It seems that they have prioritised getting 64 players and 60fps this go round.

So there is confirmation on the PS4 version being 1080p but not the XB1 version. A EA representative on a show floor does not work for DICE and is probably not aware of the current development state of either version.

its speculation of the PS4 resolution....

but the confirmation is on the Xbox One's resolution... I believe

NFS Rivals runs on Frostbite 3 I wonder if we should expect similar performance.
Anyway I would take this all with a grain of salt.
Ghost Games have already said that "one of them might stick up a little bit" with regard to the console versions, where apparently "that one will look as good as the PC" but that both will "look pretty much on parity."

95% wont even notice a difference but gaf explodes lmfao

Keep pretending everybody is blind. Most people can notice the difference between 720p and 1080p video content. Might have something to do with every damn HD tv these days being 1080p native.

People won't notice if there's no way to compare, but they will if they see other games running at 1080p.

Watch your mouth

Thuway,

Get out of this thread, there's no point with arguing with some of them. Sometimes, the only way to win is to not play.

R3TRODYCE

Gemüsepizza;84016181 said:
No? It's saying they are "aiming" at the same resolution / framerate and that final numbers are unconfirmed until EA/DICE will officially publish them.
tumblr_mbedvr47an1r9kz4wo1_250.gif

I don't know what to believe anymore, oh wait I'm buying Killzone SF instead of this so I guess it doesn't matter.

Keep pretending everybody is blind. Most people can notice the difference between 720p and 1080p video content. Might have something to do with every damn HD tv these days being 1080p native.

People won't notice if there's no way to compare, but they will if they see other games running at 1080p.

This.

velociraptor

To put it lightly, 720p looks like a blurry piece of shit compared to 1080p.

720p may not matter with games which have basic geometry, but when you have large maps with lots of objects, particle effects, high resolution textures and models, then you will bet your ass it will look awful.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's a launch game, dude.

It seems that they have prioritized getting 64 players and 60fps this go round.
Yea I can definitely see that. It's just the parity thing that kinda rubs me the wrong way a bit I guess. Then again, multiplatform launch title and all.

Lynn616

Did someone mention games would see a downgrade from E3?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm actually serious.

edit: MS needs to parachute it's engineers into D.I.C.E. ASAP. The Xbox One is much more capable, but the unoptimal decisions are going to bite in the ass.

Was the X1 version ever shown running above 720p?

Dice needs to show us the direct footage from both versions already. This is beyond aggravating for launch buyers. Launch is only a bit over a month away.

Top Bottom