• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sylvester Stallone to Direct Creed 2

It was fairly inevitable that the Rocky franchise would continue following the success of Ryan Coogler's Creed back in 2015 - but development has been slow moving. Part of this is because the film has spent the last two years without a director, however, the project how now moved forward in that particular area. Sylvester Stallone officially announced that he will be directing Creed 2.

Sylvester Stallone made this announcement over his personal Instagram account, where he explained the situation rather briefly. Along with a red carpet photo of himself and Creed star Michael B Jordan. Stallone wrote:

Source

This is not what I wanted. Not even close. Sly really just couldn't let it wait a bit longer, huh? Coogler is essential imo, he's the real deal, I don't think they'll get it right without him at the helm.

as long as he doesn't ham it up too much again then whatever. would have been nice to have gotten Coogler back, but at the same time...Rocky Balboa was not bad either.

not-like-this.gif

This is going to be fucking horrible. Fighting fucking Ivan Drago or some dumb Rocky IV crap.

No thanks.

as long as he doesn't ham it up too much again then whatever. would have been nice to have gotten Coogler back, but at the same time...Rocky Balboa was not bad either.

He's already leaked some of what he wants to do.

It's peak 80's stupid ass action movie.

watershed

Banned
No disrespect, but that's a step down. Rocky Balboa had a decent central drama but the cinematography was very poor and the movie played out in a predictable, by the numbers fashion.

Why are people suddenly talking shit on Rocky Balboa?

It was a fantastic film.

Creed was great too but this seems like a fairly lateral move in terms of directors.

No disrespect, but that's a step down. Rocky Balboa had a decent central drama but the cinematography was very poor and the movie played out in a predictable, by the numbers fashion.

so does Creed. it is certainly shot better and is also the superior movie in the franchise. but it, alongside every other Rocky movie, plays out in the same predictable manner. its always been about the underdog getting their shot to the top.

Creed was basically black Rocky.

RS4-

I've got to watch Balboa again, don't remember much.

So yeah, at the moment I'm a little disappointed that Coogler isn't back.

Rocky Balboa was good y'all but if he is serious about the plot he was talking about for Creed 2 earlier this year or last then fuck that

Yes, he did. Which is why all the people whining about this make no sense.

Coogler is much better director and Creed is a much better film.

Also, have you heard some of the ideas Stallone and Coogler disagreed on for Creed 2?

Without Stallone there is no Rocky, but without Coogler there is no Creed.

so does Creed. it is certainly shot better and is also the superior movie in the franchise. but it, alongside every other Rocky movie, plays out in the same predictable manner. its always been about the underdog getting their shot to the top.

Creed was basically black Rocky.

Even the fight basically ended the same way in Creed as in the original Rocky:

The underdog makes a comeback and nearly wins in the end but loses by decision.

Creed wasn't exactly unpredictable. It was a slighty different version of Rocky 1.

Viewt

Did he direct Rocky Balboa?

Yeah, Stallone has directed the majority of the Rocky movies - II, III, IV and Balboa.

Still, though, I'm a little disappointed to hear that we're losing Coogler. I would've liked to see him develop the Creed series into its own thing. My worry is that this will just retread ideas that were already explored sufficiently in Balboa.

I'll watch it, and it might still be good, but yeah, slightly bummed.

Anth0ny

That's a shame. Coogler fucking killed it with the first one.

Stallone is alright but he's definitely a step down. Still hyped.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
if Coogler was doing anything other than a freaking Black Panther trilogy i’d be upset we lost him on creed

Phased

I think a lot of people see this as pretty random, but Stallone isn't that bad of a director at all, he directed Rocky Balboa which was actually pretty good (and Creed built on top of the framework laid during that movie) along with Rocky 2.

All he has to do is keep doing what Coogler did with the characters and don't make the movie about him and he'll be totally fine.

Top Bottom