• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is a reasonable commute to work and or college?

Azzanadra

Depends what you count as part of the commute. Time spent in vehicles? Or time from the moment you leave home to when you arrive. My commute is technically 40 minutes to an hour combination of train/bus and subway but in practice it feels more like an hour and 20 when you count the walking in between, and for reference I despise my commute, anything more and I would move.

EOS-HDC

Between one and two hours a day is my limit.

I consider public transport the better option for long commutes thanks to handheld gaming or books.

jey_16

Banned
I'm thinking about taking a lower paying job just for a better commute. Driving and paying tolls to be stuck in traffic is so frustrating, would rather take the train

mike6467

Depends on a lot of things. One hour of open road/highways is one thing. One hour of shitty traffic is intolerable for me. An hour on a train is fine.

I just halved my commute from 20ish minutes to 10, and that's a big QOL improvement. Really can't see myself going past 30 minutes in a car (one way) at this point. It really does bring me down.

Alienous

I've had around a ~100 minute commute before. A 5 minute walk, a 10 minute train, a 10 minute wait, a 50 minute train, and a 30 minute walk. Kept to it for about two weeks before closer accomodation seemed like a better option.

How many days a week will your college course demand? I think any more than 3, with that kind of commute, will become a grind really quickly.

CHC

<hour for one way

Anything more than that gets a hard f' that from me.

Yeah one hour is the threshold. The only exception would be if you take MTA / LIRR or other "sit down" style train system. I used to have an hour and half commute, but an hour of it was sitting on a quiet, uncrowned train car. I could listen to music, sleep, read, play games, whatever. Wasn't really much different than what I did once I was home most days.

I was 80 minutes one way for a new job. We've since moved closer and now it's 30 minutes one way. Rent went up an extra $400 though...

Falchion

Anything more than 20 minutes is getting to be a little too long for my taste. Mine is pretty much 20 minutes on the dot, but that's because I live at the oceanfront area so I enjoy living there way more than I am bothered by driving farther than I'd like.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I used to have around 30 minutes one way, and I wouldn't want much more than that. So much of your day goes to just commuting.

I moved last year though, and now I walk to work in 2-3 minutes. That's pretty okay. :)

Raptomex

I'd like to keep it under an hour. Unless the work pays me a ton of money. I work with a woman who drives 4 hours to work every day. Crazy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd like to keep it under an hour. Unless the work pays me a ton of money. I work with a woman who drives 4 hours to work every day. Crazy.

One way? What the fuck, that's 8 hours a day she's just driving. She literally only works, drives, and sleeps. How horrible.

And even if you mean 4 hours both ways that's still terrible. I couldn't live like that.

Right now I have to commute from San Francisco to San Jose and somehow there are no public transportation routes that take me where I need to go. So I drive.

Takes me 2 hours at peak traffic times.

I hate my life. Once this is done I'm never doing a commute like this again. It's been one year and im already burnt out.

Hydrus

20 minutes each way is my tops for work 5 days a week. I live in SoCal, so 20 minutes can turn into 2 hours easily if you need to hop on the freeway.

I don't think I'd be willing to do more than about a half hour each way. I'll pay higher rents to stick in the downtown of my current city if need be (as I work downtown). Thank God I'm splitting a place with the gf or I couldn't do it.

Commutes are just too soul-sucking, man. I don't know how you folks who do over an hour can do it.

An hour either way is the max.

It's what I do. If you can get a seat either way on public transport it's not too bad. I get time to play my switch & 3ds, or listen to a podcast.

I'm about to go to a 20 min commute in the morning, 30 minute commute in the evening to a 40 min morning commute and an hour commute in the evening.

~45 minutes one way is manageable.

2 hours though, I wouldn't do it.

Maybe I'd make an exception if I would have a reasonable schedule with it, and I could utilize the 2 hours doing something else.

If I was done with classes by 1, and be home by 3 or something that wouldn't be too bad. At least if I was say able to work on homework or something during that time.

But there have been times where I will have class till 8 or 9. A 2 hour drive then would be no way...

Raptomex

One way? What the fuck, that's 8 hours a day she's just driving. She literally only works, drives, and sleeps. How horrible.

And even if you mean 4 hours both ways that's still terrible. I couldn't live like that.
4 hours one way. 8 hours of driving each day. This is all by choice, too. I'll admit the company we work for has incredible benefits, even unheard of in today's world but I don't know if I could do it. I have to imagine that's the reason, though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I did an hour long commute when I was getting my masters and I thought it would be fine at first but within a month I'd had enough of that shit and got an apartment nearby. I actually lile driving, but my time is too precious to waste two hours of it a day in a car staring at trees and deer and hicks driving their trucks like fuckcushions.

For college 45 minutes as thats how much I'm commuting to college right now. I could see commuting longer for work since at least you are getting payed money to spend on gas.

faint.

Current commute is about an hour and a half to and from. I wake up at 5:30 and arrive a little before 8, and leave work sometime between 4:30 and 5:00. My work pays for my bus/train costs and offers good benefits in general, so it's not awful, but days are certainly long at times. Ideally, I'd want no more than an hour to and from, but living in the city (Boston) and areas just outside are not worth the cost for convenience.

Starting a traineeship in October. Public Transport is about 2,5/3 hours, car is 1,5 but haven't done the route during rush hours.

Will probably stay in a bed and breakfast during the first 2 months of training. Not ideal, but no other option, else I am gonna get broken in no time.

pixeldash

Neo Member
I've been getting lazier and lazier when it comes to driving. 30 mins one way is the most I would do for a regular commute, but honestly, having to drive more than 20 minutes anywhere annoys me.

woopWOOP

Up till 45 mins for one way is alright with me

Gonna have to do 90 mins for one way for a few months in the near future tho, blergh

I drove roughly 20 minutes to and from my old college. Finding a parking spot was a bitch though. They kept tearing apart old lots and putting new buildings in their place.

An hour one way is about my limit. Current commute is about 40 minutes, but it's 95% subway, 5% bus. Not so bad, really. I just sit there and listen to music or read until I need to transfer.

KillLaCam

Banned
No more than 30 minutes for work . 15 for school. IDC if the area close to school or work is expensive because I always wait until the last minute to leave the house and If im far away I cant do that

Rommel

I've done 45 minutes each way... it was doable, but not ideal. My current commute is 2 minutes each way. Much better :D

Even an hour one way seems unreasonable to me. Time is precious. Losing ten hours just getting to and from work every week sounds ridiculous.

*sigh* I wish I could work from home.

Hale-XF11

For my own sanity, 15 minutes each way, which is what I drive now.

Longest I ever had was 45 minutes and that was too much for me. Not sure how people can handle more than an hour.

Top Bottom