• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Riposte

According to damnation they did in a hotel room.

0193_wlqq6.gif

denshuu

What happens when you turn on laser sights and switch to dual pistols with Leon? Do you get two lasers?

I'd test it but, alas, at work for another hour.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Your math is flawed. The $10 off is for a future purchase, so you're not getting RE6 for $50, but rather $55 if you're splitting the $10 between the two games. So you're paying $7 for one map.

You have it backwards. The dot is just the same as the laser sight from RE4/5 except they removed the laser part. That's why the dot sometimes disappears. In RE5 for example, if you were aiming at an enemy or a breakable object, there was always a dot at the end of the laser. If you were aiming at a dead enemy or an unbreakable object, there was no dot at the end of the laser. That's what they did here - they just removed the laser, so sometimes the dot shows up if you can shoot something, otherwise it disappears.

Yeah, after RE4/5 had the laser sight as such a good tool to see what was interactive, the zombie stuff in the 6 demo getting up is one of my biggest gripes. The sight has no dot on their bodies on the floor even when you know they're going to get up.

What happens when you turn on laser sights and switch to dual pistols with Leon? Do you get two lasers?

You get one laser.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm getting the impression that the level design is bad based on what I'm reading in this thread. That kinda kills it for me. Is it that bad? Is it that repetitive?

As I'll continue to say, repetition is one of the last things RE6 will need to worry about.

I've mentioned the game varies greatly in level design. Just to illustrate a personal example, with no spoilers at all, here's how I would rank the games chapters so far and what I feel about each one's inspiration personally:

The inspiration from could be potential minor spoilers, so will mark just in case.

(Just going to do a personal ranking system of six stars, * being the worst, ****** being the best)

Leon's Campaign Chapter 1 Rank: ***
SEEMS TO TAKE INSPIRATION FROM:
Various Zombie Media (RE, Walking Dead, L4D, etc)

Leon's Campaign Chapter 2 Rank: *****
The Resident Evil Series

Leon's Campaign Chapter 3 Rank: **
The Ruins levels in RE5

Leon's Campaign Chapter 4 Rank: ******
SEEMS TO TAKE INSPIRATION FROM: Nothing. Some small bits, but original enough

Leon's Campaign Chapter 5 Rank: **

Chris's Campaign Chapter 1 Rank: *
Gears of War

Chris's Campaign Chapter 2 Rank: ***
Call of Duty

Chris's Campaign Chapter 3 Rank: ****

Chris's Campaign Chapter 4 Rank: ******
Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil Revelations, Ace Combat

Chris's Campaign Chapter 5 Rank: ****

Jake's Campaign Chapter 1 Rank: ***
Uncharted

Jake's Campaign Chapter 2 Rank: *****

Jake's Campaign Chapter 3 Rank: *****
Mirror's Edge, Uncharted

Jake's Campaign Chapter 4 Rank: ****
SEEMS TO TAKE INSPIRATION FROM: Nothing. Some small bits, but original enough.

Jake's Campaign Chapter 5: *****

Ada's Campaign Chapter 1 Rank: ****
Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil Revelations

Riposte

Eyeballing it, I see you think Jake's campaign is the best. That wouldn't surprise me since Jake as a character seems to be taking the game's mechanics to its fullest potential.

I'd love it if you could give me something detailed on the skill system.

Astral

As expected, Chris' seems to be the worst. It's sad to see you rate Leon's final chapter so low. What's bad about it? Is Ada's campaign only one chapter?

Dusk Golem

Eyeballing it, I see you think Jake's campaign is the best. That wouldn't surprise me since Jake as a character seems to be taking the game's mechanics to its fullest potential.

I'd love it if you could give me something detailed on the skill system.

Jake's campaign probably has the most varied and well-paced campaign as well. The area they chose for Jake in the demos are a few of the 'normal' areas that Jake goes through, but I was completely unprepared for how continually unexpected it is. This is paired with the fact his campaign has the biggest variety of enemies, the most exotic locations, and the most highlights (both in gameplay and graphically).

Also despite being the most varied, it felt the most cohesive of the three. Leon and Chris's campaign both kind of choose a tone and setting for a chapter and then stick with it for most of the chapter. Chris's campaign sometimes throws in an oddball set-piece that's a big change of pace, but the tone is generally true. Jake's campaign spreads different tones through each of its chapters and really takes the most risks.

Ada's campaign may end up being my favorite, it's actually pretty challenging and has a lot of puzzles and horror and survival elements. Leon's campaign surprisingly had the best bosses in the game, but I felt the weakest story. Chris almost would of had the weakest story but it really picks up at the end and probably has the best endgame. Jake's story is interesting through-out.

As expected, Chris' seems to be the worst. It's sad to see you rate Leon's final chapter so low. What's bad about it? Is Ada's campaign only one chapter?

Leon's highlights are really good, I was taking replay-ability into account and other factors. Chapter 2 and 4 are amazing, Chapter 1 is pretty good too just didn't like some of the emphasis on cinematic stuff for replyability or else I would of ranked it a 4. His Chapter 3 is not designed well in my opinion and really slow (very few enemies but almost nothing in the level besides one boss at the end really make it up), and Chapter 5 I may have been a bit harsh on, but it includes the longest and most annoying QTE in the game and takes a few hits design wise. I might bump up it's ranking though as I really liked
some of
the bosses.

Can you start the game with the secondary character from each campaign or you gotta have to play with Leon, Chris, and Jake and once you clear the campaigns you can choose whoever you want?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Jake's campaign probably has the most varied and well-paced campaign as well. The area they chose for Jake in the demos are a few of the 'normal' areas that Jake goes through, but I was completely unprepared for how continually unexpected it is. This is paired with the fact his campaign has the biggest variety of enemies, the most exotic locations, and the most highlights (both in gameplay and graphically).

Also despite being the most varied, it felt the most cohesive of the three. Leon and Chris's campaign both kind of choose a tone and setting for a chapter and then stick with it for most of the chapter. Chris's campaign sometimes throws in an oddball set-piece that's a big change of pace, but the tone is generally true. Jake's campaign spreads different tones through each of its chapters and really takes the most risks.

Ada's campaign may end up being my favorite, it's actually pretty challenging and has a lot of puzzles and horror and survival elements. Leon's campaign surprisingly had the best bosses in the game, but I felt the weakest story. Chris almost would of had the weakest story but it really picks up at the end and probably has the best endgame. Jake's story is interesting through-out.

Thanks for these impressions. I'm even more excited for this game now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The laser actually alternates...

Dusk Golem

Can you start the game with the secondary character from each campaign or you gotta have to play with Leon, Chris, and Jake and once you clear the campaigns you can choose whoever you want?

You can start with secondary. And it's a good thing, too. Which character you choose actually makes a huge difference, more so than I was expecting.

The most extreme example is one chapter of one of the campaigns where you and your partner start at completely different points and take completely different paths through half the stage. You both have different opening cinematics for the chapter, and aid each other through-out but you both have completely different experiences before you regroup. But a lot of chapters in the game have a lot of changes based on who you choose to play as.

I'm glad you can choose character since I prefer to use Sherry over Jake!

Once you clear all the campaigns is it possible to play any campaign with any character or is restricted to the 2 characters from each campaign?

In an ideal world, Slant Six Games would have made this game instead of Operation Raccoon City and Capcom would have been working on a Resident Evil 2 remake that focused on single player.

Dusk Golem

Dusk have you come up with a "chronolgical order" for the game yet? I kind of want to do one big playthrough instead of taking it one campaign at a time.

You're in luck, I actually do when it comes to the story-line at least.

For story on-goers, this will be the best order to tackle things by:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Riposte

In an ideal world, Slant Six Games would have made this game instead of Operation Raccoon City and Capcom would have been working on a Resident Evil 2 remake that focused on single player.

Well, I'm at least happy that your fantasies are just that.

Story progression is a lot simpler than expected. Can you really notice the order for chapters of the same number after 3? I suppose there are crossovers to consider so some of them must happen at the same time.

LuuKyK

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Oh, you can choose the order of chapters/campaign you play and alternate freely between them (besides Ada obviously)?

Dusk Golem

Also, since I know there were all of these rumors before the game came out and trying to provide the least spoiler answers for questions that are somewhat spoiler, I'll answer a general one. I can tell you a lot of pre-release spoilers were absolute bullshit (well, all that came recently). One theme of them despite all being bullshit was a character dying, so a lot of people are curious if anyone playable dies in RE6? The answer is *(don't click if you don't want to know).

Well, I'm at least happy that your fantasies are just that.

Story progression is a lot simpler than expected. Can you really notice the order for chapters of the same number after 3? I suppose there are crossovers to consider so some of them must happen at the same time.

The first few up until Jake's Chapter 3 are pretty self-explanatory. After that it gets a bit more confusing, but I took a lot of factors into mind.

Here's an example. Leon's Chapter 4 takes place during Jake's Chapter 4 and at the same time as Chris's Chapter 3 AND Chapter 4. But Leon's Chapter 4 goes a bit further along the story than Jake's, and Chris's Chapter 4 contains story best saved for after. Jake and Leon 4 are interchangable though.

For endgame, their all pretty interchangeable but I feel that order is best based on how the final bosses are designed (Jake has the shortest
and boss least involved with the story,
Chris's boss is a sort of medium length, and Leon's boss is the longest
and most important to the story.
)

Oh, you can choose the order of chapters/campaign you play and alternate freely between them (besides Ada obviously)?

Yup.

Beth Cyra

Even if this game isn't as good as REmake or my other favorites I would choose this every time.

I always prefer new games that could be good even if they end up being bad. Reusing the same games over and over again won't get us new awesome games and content.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dusk you missed a spoiler tag. Luckily with my lightning fast reflexes I covered it up with my hand and then fiddled around with my other hand trying to click on the "Post Reply" button.

Edit: nvm looks like you fixed it.

Beth Cyra

Oh shit, a less then a week to see if I won my bet about Chris dying.

A part of me does just because I called it when they revealed Chirs and yet I hope not because with out him I'm done with the franchise.

Don't qoute this and spoile tag it, I will be to tempted to highlight it.

Dusk Golem

Dusk you missed a spoiler tag. Luckily with my lightning fast reflexes I covered it up with my hand and then fiddled around with my other hand trying to click on the "Post Reply" button.

Edit: nvm looks like you fixed it.

It thankfully wasn't a really big spoiler in the first place, but I noticed and fixed. Don't want to spoil anyone, what I'm trying to do playing it and knowing spoilers is provide personal impressions and answer questions with potentially spoilerish answers in a non-spoiler way, or at least minimally spoiler but warn if they are so.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright let's stop with the story speculation. Take that stuff into the spoiler thread please.

Anyway, Dusk would you suggest playing the campaigns in chronological order, or finishing the entire campaign of a character before moving on?

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Someone put this in the OP.

Dusk my hype is through the roof now. I love hearing that the game is constantly surprising you. How long did it take you to finish it all?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

That doesn't sound like an ideal world at all. Why would I want another RE2 instead of a brand new game? RE2 already exists.

Dusk Golem

Alright let's stop with the story speculation. Take that stuff into the spoiler thread please.

Anyway, Dusk would you suggest playing the campaigns in chronological order, or finishing the entire campaign of a character before moving on?

I played them one campaign at a time, but I don't really think either is a right or wrong way. On one hand with the story path you will get a better sense of what's going on in total, and there will be a continuous escalation of the story, not select a campaign, let it escalate and reach the climax, then go to the next and start from the beginning and let it escalate again.

But then it was interesting to see how individual story strings and campaigns evolved streaming through them. It was also interesting to go through something as, say, Leon, and then later see that same scene later from Chris's perspective and see what was up with them up until then. This is also added since the cutscenes that are shared among characters actually change some (not in dialogue, as in different camera angles and maybe some additional cutscene before or after) depending on who you're playing as.

So it just depends on this: Do you want to play all three campaigns more as one cohesive experience, or would you rather play each as its own 6-8 hour long game?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played them one campaign at a time, but I don't really think either is a right or wrong way. On one hand with the story path you will get a better sense of what's going on in total, and there will be a continuous escalation of the story, not select a campaign, let it escalate and reach the climax, then go to the next and start from the beginning and let it escalate again.

But then it was interesting to see how individual story strings and campaigns evolved streaming through them. It was also interesting to go through something as, say, Leon, and then later see that same scene later from Chris's perspective and see what was up with them up until then. This is also added since the cutscenes that are shared among characters actually change some (not in dialogue, as in different camera angles and maybe some additional cutscene before or after) depending on who you're playing as.

So it just depends on this: Do you want to play all three campaigns more as one cohesive experience, or would you rather play each as its own 6-8 hour long game?

Hmm... OK I think I may actually play them in chronological order so that they're all escalating at the same time. I feel like that way I'll be getting a Snatch-type story where I'm trying to put together different threads until I see them all come together at the end. Also I feel like knowing the end-game before I start the two other campaigns may be a little off-putting.

Dusk Golem

Dusk my hype is through the roof now. I love hearing that the game is constantly surprising you. How long did it take you to finish it all?

I watched the stream before I played so I knew what to do in some situations, keep that in mind. Well, I watched most of it. I had fallen asleep during most of Leon's and Ada's campaigns and the beginning of Jake's, for example.

That said, for some comparison:

The streamer took 9 hours on Leon's campaign, 10 hours on Chris's, 7 hours on Jake (he was getting better though), and 6 hours on Ada.

For myself, I took 7 hours on Leon (but I should mention I did look around stuff), and since last night I marathoned Jake's campaign, which took me around 7 hours too. Right now in the middle of Chris's campaign but I know how it goes. I had played Ada's first stage prior to owning the full game, which back then took me about two hours but I may be a lot better at it now since I wasn't adjusted and died alot.

I will be replaying this a lot, with friends, other characters, difficulties. But so far my play time in total is about 14 hours.

picking it up in an hour. yay!

Hope you enjoy it! The game seems to be coming out at more and more places, but hoping other people have impressions soon as well. While I am happy to contribute, I think it'd be good to have a viewpoint opposite of mine so we could debate things subjectively about who might enjoy the game and who wouldn't, or if another lover to talk about why we love it.

Riposte

The problem with playing all the campaigns at once is that I assume you don't unlock Professional mode for a very long time. Given the sheer length of the combined campaign it is tough to imagine going through all of more than once.

Top Bottom