• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A week without home internet really shows you how addicted you are to it.

Two Words

Just got my home internet service back up and running. It's kind of scary how obvious it is that we build up this addiction to constant internet access. Basically all of my devices were useless. I was using wifi hotspot for a while, but I was hitting my data cap fast that way and had to stop. Maybe we need to open up some internet addiction clinics.

I gave up WoW after moving and being without internet for two weeks. I felt like “all this beauty outside and here I am grinding this game indoors wasting precious life!”. It lasted a few weeks before I went back to gaming but it was a bit sobering.

Just got my home internet service back up and running. It's kind of scary how obvious it is that we build up this addiction to constant internet access. Basically all of my devices were useless. I was using wifi hotspot for a while, but I was hitting my data cap fast that way and had to stop. Maybe we need to open up some internet addiction clinics.
They exist already.
Still waiting on the US govt to finally see that its a real problem.

Without internet i can't

- communicate with family in other countries
- watch tv
- check important emails
- study
- work

It's not really an addiction but a necessity today.

Sorry if I'm addicted to something that actually lets me engage with peers besides those I'm forced to be with due to circumstance.

I used to feel like this. Whenever we would lose power, I would get so frustrated by not having internet because I wouldn’t know what I was supposed to do.

But I realized I also feel the same way about running water and electricity in general. I wouldn’t say I’m addicted to having lights on after sunset or being able to drink water from an indoor tap, you know?

Internet, like all revolutionary utilities, became an essential service that everyday life depends on. Internet addiction is real, but I wouldn’t say it’s the same as dependence. I am internet dependent the same way I am dependent on having a car or running water. I use them all daily, my daily functions cease without them, and my life becomes extremely inconvenient or grinds to a halt when they’re gone.

I don’t feel guilty about my internet dependency. I remember what it was like before internet. I know what it was like to not have it at all.

It was so boring.

Some times when I'm without internet at home, and I know for how long I will be without it (so I'm not pacing around, worried I won't get it back), I find it a bit relaxing. Gives me a chance to catch up on the Blu-Ray movies I haven't seen yet, finish the puzzle I have in my kitchen, and so on.

Servbot24

Banned
I wouldn't say the internet is an addiction any more than having electricity is an addiction.

Certain sites however are absolutely addicting (including this one)

I'm old enough to remember a time when I didn't have the internet, and then had dial up that my mum shouted at me to get off when she had to make a phone call, to the ultra fast broadband I have now. I absolutely remember how excited I was as it dawned on me how I could "talk" - and I use that phrase really to mean "communicate", I guess - to different people from all over the world. I could play Go Fish with strangers on Yahoo, talk about football, video games, all kinds of stuff. I remember it being a fairly slow but overwhelmingly exciting prospect. I guess that's just sort of "built in" to everyone now, so yeah, when that goes you're gonna miss it.

JettDash

I went on a cruise this summer and paid extra for internet because I knew I wouldn't be able to survive for that long without it.

zeemumu

I didn't start using the internet in full swing until junior high (2007). Prior to that I used it purely for Googling stuff for school or playing games on Nickelodeon's website. Wasn't allowed to have a Myspace because of my parents' fear that a white van would materialize the moment I did and abduct me, so I didn't get social media until Facebook a few years later.

Cess007

When I moved to my current house, I spent 3 months without internet. Never in my life did I finish as many games as back then (it was a good hit on my gaming backlog) lol It was also a good time to finish a lot of books I'd left unfinished

Kyuur

Without internet i can't

- communicate with family in other countries
- watch tv
- check important emails
- study
- work

It's not really an addiction but a necessity today.

I wouldn't say the internet is an addiction any more than having electricity is an addiction.

Certain sites however are absolutely addicting (including this one)

This. It's become an essential utility; Our heavy reliance on it isn't indicative of addiction but necessity.

. Think of it as if you lived in an area where a vehicle was all but necessary to get around and do anything. You'd certainly be stuck if your vehicle broke down but that doesn't mean you're addicted to it.

I don't even know what to do with my life when I don't have the internet.

I grew up without Internet for the majority of my childhood...didn't really get into peoples homes till I was in high school. Looking back it's kinda crazy...I imagine many people would lose their shit if they ever had to go back to that kind of life...myself included lol

I don’t think it is an addiction.

It is like saying that having electricity or water and not having it for a week shows how addicted you are to it.

IMO, Internet is a basic utility.

Parch

I'm old. The majority of my life has been without internet. I didn't die.

Everybody should take the Big Brother challenge. You know, the TV reality show? Try and see how long you can go with only personal, face to face interaction. No internet. No phone. No computer. No TV. No music. No video games. No podcasts. No radio.

It's no wonder the contestants on that show go nuts. We live in a world completely dominated by tech influence. That is not necessarily a good thing. Getting away from your things and actually interacting with real people isn't so bad. People have been doing it for centuries before this stupid internet started controlling lives.

JettDash

Everybody should take the Big Brother challenge. You know, the TV reality show? Try and see how long you can go with only personal, face to face interaction. No internet. No phone. No computer. No TV. No music. No podcasts. No radio.

It's no wonder the contestants on that show go nuts. We live in a world completely dominated by tech influence. That is not necessarily a good thing. Getting away from your things and actually interacting with real people isn't so bad. People have been doing it for centuries before this stupid internet started controlling lives.

Yeah because they didn't have a choice.

_Ryo_

I had to house/pet sit for about 2 weeks in a rural area without any transportation and with only a convenience store/gas station within walking distance. There was no internet and my reception on my phone was shit. I had brought along some games and books but I was still bored out of my mind. I couldn't seem to focus enough to read or play for any extended length of time.

Shredderi

I thought I would be one of those who have trouble without internet, but then I went to army and went weeks without it and had no problems at all.

Everybody should take the Big Brother challenge. You know, the TV reality show? Try and see how long you can go with only personal, face to face interaction. No internet. No phone. No computer. No TV. No music. No video games. No podcasts. No radio.

Am I suppose to stop doing work for a week as well? Some of you don't realize the internet has actual uses aside from randomly surfing sites and playing games

Addicted? Pffft. I remember life before the internet. It sucked. A handful of companies able to completely control global dialogue. Now any and everyone can have a voice.

Am I suppose to stop doing work for a week as well? Some of you don't realize the internet has actual uses aside from randomly surfing sites and playing games

And yea I literally can't work without the internet. I'd have no job. Got teams across the globe I collaborate with. Supposed to snail mail a USB drive with code on it? Lmao.

Tired of people shitting on the network like it's a problem. It's only a.problem if you're one of those people that hates themselves more because they see a picture of someone doing better than them.

I lived for 15 years without the internet, it sucked. Could you live without a toilet or refrigerator? People have done it for thousands of years before fridges and toilets started controlling our lives.

The internet doesn't control my life, it gives me the tools to make my life easier, more productive among other things.

Why should I take the Big Brother challenge? I need my computer to work, make money, learn, stay connected to important family members that are thousands of kilometers away. If you can live without it great but don't make it about you and generalise that the rest of us are addicted if we can't live without it. Not everyone uses the internet just for memes and youtube.

Nokterian

I didn't have internet for almost 3 days during the weekend a few months ago, it came back on a sunday morning so 2,5 days to be exact. And yeah having no internet you really depend on it on everything you do. Be it finance, mailing, games, movies..everything you do you need it and can't do anything without it.

Yayate

I'm incredibly addicted to modern health care. Someone please *stop* me from being able to survive pneumonia.

RS4-

Switched ISPs uhh a year ago? Shit was down for a month and a bit I think, because they're incompetent with scheduling and multiple excuses when they didn't show up.

Unbearable.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yes, but you can also adjust. When I first moved to Seattle I couldn't afford it so I didn't have internet after having high speed for almost a decade straight previously. Initially it was hard as fuck. Within a month or so I didn't really miss it that much.

JJH

My wife and I just moved into our new house a month ago and the first two weeks we didn’t have internet. It worked out well because we both were the most productive we’ve been in awhile and got a lot of things done that I don’t think we could’ve if we were connected.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Exactly this.

Basic utilities that enable modern life are not "addictions."

Parch

Using the internet as a tool is absolutely the greatest thing about it. The problem is the internet is rarely used only as a tool. There is a massive amount of time wasted accomplishing nothing. It's fine to have some distraction and entertainment enjoyment from the internet, but how many people can actually say the majority of their internet time is used being productive?

Social media is an incredible waste of time and does more harm than good IMO. The other side of the board can convince themselves that video games are actually a good thing, but it's all mostly a worthless, time wasting, unproductive way to spend your life. Denial of internet addiction isn't going to help.

I really wish the internet was used just a production tool instead of what it's mostly used for.

Yayate

Using the internet as a tool is absolutely the greatest thing about it. The problem is the internet is rarely used only as a tool. There is a massive amount of time wasted accomplishing nothing. It's fine to have some distraction and entertainment enjoyment from the internet, but how many people can actually say the majority of their internet time is used being productive?

Social media is an incredible waste of time and does more harm than good IMO. The other side of the board can convince themselves that video games are actually a good thing, but it's all mostly a worthless, time wasting, unproductive way to spend your life. Denial of internet addiction isn't going to help.

I really wish the internet was used just a production tool instead of what it's mostly used for.

Then lead by example, and stop wasting time, old man.

TaterTots

Banned
I didn't have regular internet access until around 20 years of age. I remember actually going out to do things more frequently. That took up most of the time. Flea markets, record shops, concerts, dinner, movies, etc. Awhile back I was without internet for several months. I simply reverted back to what I did before and enjoyed it. I think the internet kind of makes people anti social(in person) and recluse. However, I'd say the real issue is smart phones. I can't go one day without seeing someone trying to multi task on their phone while driving. Shit isn't that important. People taking selfies at red lights and shit....selfie sticks.

I also wouldn't compare the internet to electricity and clean running water. You don't need one as much as the others.

Parch

Then lead by example, and stop wasting time, old man.
I'm retired. I've done my time being productive. Now wasting time is what I do now and it's glorious, but I feel I've earned that right. Wasting time cannot be a lifetime lifestyle.

Kyougar

I find it irritating when the internet is not available. It doesn't happen often but when there is an issue and I don't know when it's back, I can't concentrate on other things.

Let's say the internet is down for 2 hours, I could just play a game offline, but I would check the availability every 10 to 15 minutes.

Creepy

I use the internet for neogaf and accessing ff14, and occasionally buying a thing, that's about it...
I access it through a desktop pc at home; I don't have a phone, so... whenever I'm not at home I don't have the internet.

I was without internet completely for 2 years in 07-09 when my pc blew up.

If it went away tomorrow I'd be mostly unaffected.

Top Bottom