• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo

repost for greater effect..

mhtri.jpg

legend166

gofreak said:
Nintendo had to broker a deal for this. Capcom had motivation (lower cost), but it looks like Nintendo had to move in to get it.

This is like Capcom 5..except it's Capcom 1. It's among a rarity of more premier franchises that's on Wii and not on PS3/360. But unfortunately, even with a premier franchise, they seem to be jumping on the chance to cheap out.

But the Capcom 5 was going to the worst selling platform. This is going to the best selling platform.

dfyb

Banned
ksamedi said:
Just shows that people were getting bored with the focus on technology instead of actual new game ideas. But Sony is a Japanese company, I think they can be more competitive with the PS4 in 2017 with some new ideas.
there's nothing that indicates that there are going to be "new game ideas" because of the switch. it will probably play and look similar to the PSP games. this isn't about the game. it's about the money.

Doc Evils

legend166 said:
This is probably overstating it because of the completely different positions the respective consoles were in, but does anyone else get the sense that this is the Wii's "Final Fantasy 7"? I mean, wasn't the announcement of that game on the PS1 the time all the other devs went "well, PS1 it is then"? COuld it have a similar impact for the Wii? It sounds stupid considering the high sales should have been a big enough reason, but even that didn't seem to be drawing them all in.

Or am I just being a retard?

yes

Defuser said:
I have yet to see a next gen title from them released already for the PS3.

But they've announced big ones already and have publicly stated that they're going to be shifting more effort into PS3 development from PS2. Might be fluff for all we know, but hey, the PS3 is in no position to be commanding these titles, either.

AniHawk

dfyb said:
there's nothing that indicates that there are going to be "new game ideas" because of the switch. it will probably play and look similar to the PSP games. this isn't about the game. it's about the money.

And why is it about the money? Because the Wii has the biggest userbase. And why does the Wii have the biggest userbase? Because of new game ideas. Check-and-mate.

ksamedi

dfyb said:

I meant the PS3's failure in general, or the Wii's succes.

Rezbit

AniHawk said:
And why is it about the money? Because the Wii has the biggest userbase. And why does the Wii have the biggest userbase? Because of new game ideas. Check-and-mate.

:lol Sweet.

ksamedi

AniHawk said:

Perfect.

Nice, another game where exploration and beauty is a huge part of the game is going to inferior hardware!

Oh well, hopefully the controls for Wii make up for it somewhat.

Acosta

Magicpaint said:
Higher userbase = more $$$$. Basic business sense.

Sometime, I will try to discern the mysteries of why people speak as stockholders and not as gamers in a gaming forum.

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title,

So I suppose that if Wii didn´t exist, there wouldn´t be Monster Hunter 3, right? Sure.

Sounds a great justification: not because "we feel we can profit the machine strenghts" or "our vision of the game make Wii the best option". Nothing of that, the justification is "we want a cheaper development and... umm.. yes, money".

ziran

thetrin said:
This is currently being talked about in the Nintendo conference thread but okay.
I saw bits posted in the big Nintendo conference thread but it seemed to have confusion to the details of the announcement, so when I came across the article I thought it would be clearer to post it in a new thread.

This whole strategy is huge news. I knew Nintendo wanted to be the dominant system but I didn't think they'd be willing to pay for it (which is what this exclusive deal suggests imo).

kassatsu said:
Don't worry this will be easy to port over to the PSP to make even more money.

Capcom = :D
An eventual PSP version could happen, but I don't think this will be going to PS3.

rakka said:
Likely imo.

legend166 said:
This is probably overstating it because of the completely different positions the respective consoles were in, but does anyone else get the sense that this is the Wii's "Final Fantasy 7"? I mean, wasn't the announcement of that game on the PS1 the time all the other devs went "well, PS1 it is then"? COuld it have a similar impact for the Wii? It sounds stupid considering the high sales should have been a big enough reason, but even that didn't seem to be drawing them all in.

Or am I just being a retard?
I think you're right.

This is the biggest 3rd party news for Wii so far, and signals more to come. Nintendo is playing the game for the first time, ever, and they want to win big time!

dfyb

Banned
AniHawk said:
yeah i did take his comment more specifically about the game the thread is about. and not about why the wii is succeeding now, which this thread is not about.

mabuza said:
just like ps3 sales shot up after ffxiii announcement?

Wii is a hot property, MH fans will be out in force now making sure they have a machine before the game comes out, more people may take the machine more seriously as well.

PS3 sales were not that affected by the FFxiii announcement because everyone knew it was coming and to the PS3 and machines will always be available.

Acosta said:
Sometime, I will try to discern the mysteries of why people speak as stockholders and not as gamers in a gaming forum.
I don't care for the franchise, at all, as it isn't my cup of tea. I was directly responding to someone who thought the move was surprising.

Mar

Busty said:
While this is without doubt a hammer blow for Sony in Japan, I'm sure that as soon as Kaz realised that the PS3 wasn't going to be getting Monster Hunter3 he was straight on the phone to Phil asking for a first party homage
(knock off?)
ASAP.

Why did you post this twice?

Vashu

Well, now it's Monster Hunter 3.... And I don't know if this has been said before but...

Please bring a possible sequel to Okami to the Wii too please!

Yoboman

This is really weak reasoning formaking it a Wii title

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title," Capcom managing corporate officer Katsuhiko Ichii said. Nintendo has a rich title line-up for children but has few strong titles that can appeal to core game players or adults.

And we know it's using the engine and assets from Monster Hunter 2. It feels like such a cash in

Hammer24

Banned
Acosta said:
Sometime, I will try to discern the mysteries of why people speak as fanboys and not as gamers in a gaming forum.

Fixed.

Sounds a great justification: not because "we feel we can profit the machine strenghts" or "our vision of the game make Wii the best option". Nothing of that, the justification is "we want a cheaper development and... umm.. yes, money".

So you prefer some blatant marketing spin / lies over a little truth?

jts

...hate me...
Acosta said:
So I suppose that if Wii didn´t exist, there wouldn´t be Monster Hunter 3, right? Sure.
If the Wii didn't exist, the PS3 would sell more and the expected ROI would be bigger. So, wrong.

Yoboman

Hammer24 said:
Fixed.

So you prefer some blatant marketing spin / lies over a little truth?
Yes because no developer tries to create a game to make it the most they could envision? It's all about money, money, money with game developers.

Mar

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Obviously capcom were desperate themselves to make this.

It's a no brainer. Cheap knock off ps2 game with tilt. \o/ Cue shit loads of sales.

Does it.. Does it hurt you inside? Like, deep down?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Yoboman said:
Yes because no developer tries to create a game to make it the most they could envision? It's all about money, money, money with game developers.
Were you just born yesterday?

This is how the world works.

mabuza

Banned
i guess it wouldnt be a bad idea for sony to make their own franchise.that genre seems to be very popular over there. im still shocked they let it go so cheapely like than.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
legend166 said:
But the Capcom 5 was going to the worst selling platform. This is going to the best selling platform.

True, although we didn't know it at the time. The general flow hasn't been in Wii's favour as far as 'big' third party games go and I don't see MH3 changing that. Possibly because of hope for future performance, possibly because it's going up against PS3 and 360 combined in many cases, and possibly a little bit because of 'creative conscience', for want of a better term, although if it was ever there, that would seem to have slipped in this case. Asides from any deals of Sony or MS's own, of course..

Yoboman said:
Yup, you got that right. If you're not making money, then you're screwed.

Yoboman

Yoboman said:
Yes because no developer tries to create a game to make it the most they could envision? It's all about money, money, money with every business on earth
outunderthestars said:

Ah yes, I forgot, you can only make money with cheap cash-ins now.

This is huge... the only (third-party) game that would be bigger than Monster Hunter on Wii in Japan would be Dragon Quest X right? Anyways, i'm glad to hear Iwata talk about focusing a bit more on the hardcore gamer... this announcement will no doubt increase the momentum of the boosted Wii support that we have all surely seen rising over the past few months.

:D

Busty

Banned
Yoboman said:
This is really weak reasoning formaking it a Wii title

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title," Capcom managing corporate officer Katsuhiko Ichii said. Nintendo has a rich title line-up for children but has few strong titles that can appeal to core game players or adults.

And we know it's using the engine and assets from Monster Hunter 2. It feels like such a cash in

Agreed. I think that is personaly more damning for all concerned than all this talk about 'lowered ambitions'. THe fact that Capcom would, by their own words, happily slap this onto the Wii because it's cheap and cheerful means that no one wins in this sizeable pissing contest.

Except Capcom of course and the wheel barrow industry who will see a spike in sales as Capcom use them to trnasport around all their money.

DemDereNads said:
Nice, another game where exploration and beauty is a huge part of the game is going to inferior hardware!

Oh well, hopefully the controls for Wii make up for it somewhat.

When we are talking about Xbox360 and PS3, yes the Wii is quite inferior overall, but a game like Super Mario Galaxy could not be done on the PS2 which is where the last MH game was released. The game will look great, especially because of it's exclusivity and the pressure of being in the spotlight.

Capcom exclusive yah right I'll believe you 2 years from now if this game has not been ported to the PSP

they should port it to the DS if they really like money

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hang on, was this....a Nintendo moneyhat exclusive? if it is, finally, Ninty have woken up, now I hope they get moneyhatting Bizarre and other medium sized western devs, do exactly what Sony done in the PS1/2 generations (And MS is doing now), they have the cash now.

I wonder how many times this will happen this gen, quite a few I reckon, how long before we get rumours of Iwata taking Kojima out for "dinner"? :lol
believe

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
At first I was all pissed... but then, I realised I don't even play this game anyway.

*shrug*

Warning: Tangential rant following!

You know what the biggest suck about Wii games been 'cheap and cheerful'?

Cost savings aren't passed along to consumers. Indeed, if you're unlucky enough to be in the PAL region with a shitty ass PAL console, you're been reamed. Fuck reamed even.

Woo! $90 USD Metroid Prime, 4 months late!

Fuck you Nintendo, right up the ass. Take your profits, your cheap and cheerful wonder, and make a decent console, and some decent games. Fucking oxygen thieves.

*breathes*

Personally... there's no reason to buy this sort of game on the Wii. The Wii will forever more be relegated to the Nintendo games and waggle* party games playing machine for this gamer with all three systems.

*important to qualify, because party games could include things like Singstar... in otherwords, if I need to buy more periphials for the Wii, what's the point right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom