• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

apropos of , toyotaro made this poster

C3o1vIeUYAAkkB4.jpg

17 protect, but, 17 also attac
This is pretty awesome. Reminds me of classic Toriyama art.

Was watching TFS Gaming's attack of the saiyan's let's play and it got me thinking: Why did Raditz and Vegeta not reconsider destroying earth the moment they learned about Gohan. I mean, their race is almost extinct, including literally every female, and they don't stop to consider at least keeping some of the human women, who can have children, or at the very least sex, as slaves to repopulate their race or something?

L Thammy

Was watching TFS Gaming's attack of the saiyan's let's play and it got me thinking: Why did Raditz and Vegeta not reconsider destroying earth the moment they learned about Gohan. I mean, their race is almost extinct, including literally every female, and they don't stop to consider at least keeping some of the human women, who can have children, or at the very least sex, as slaves to repopulate their race or something?

This was actually covered. Nappa thinks about it, Vegeta tells him that the Saiyan-human hybrids would probably overthrow the purebloods.

TCKaos

So I'm testing out the new DLC characters in XV2... and Vegetto Blue does slightly less damage than the regular base form Vegetto that shipped with the game, and that's not counting the fact that regular Vegetto can transform into Super Saiyan to boost his stats even more.
What the actual fuck, Dimps just sold us a weaker version of a character that was already in the game.

I mean, we act surprised but Dimps does this shit all the time.

Also, the Corrupt Zamasu character is a boss, and only has two combo strings and no ultimates (he has a single light attack combo and a single heavy attack combo). He isn't meant to be played and no one in their right mind would play as him if they had the chance to because he's slow as fuck.

What do you think happens to people that fall outside of the ring ?

Also, what stops Goku from using instant transmission if he gets ringed out ? He can get back in easily.

He can also IT to his partners and bring them back in outside of 18 and 17.

Maybe they really are erased instantly

I'm sure we'll get some rules and stuff in the next episode

They would just get teleported to the seats, right? Why are so many people assuming they'll just die? Was it because of those fake leaks? They wouldn't actually do that right?

Do people realize how lame it would be if the rest of the people couldn't watch the fight? Stop guessing this. You'll jynx it! 😡

Eylos

Banned
They Will get teleported, because Its agaisnt the Budokai rules to kill, If you throw someone out of the ring and he dies, Its the same as killing in the ring then he should be disqualified.

I'd be shocked if they're teleported to the seats, but we'll find out next episode.

Doesn't that seem like the weird thing to do? The show wouldn't just pass up the opportunity for character reactions and such. It would be so detrimental to the narrative if they made people die immediately.

Nappa actually brought it out, but Vegeta said that they don't want a bunch of kids stronger than them running around or something.

HardRojo

The anime covers this as well as the manga. Basically Nappa suggests getting a lot of women pregnant, but Vegeta disagrees saying they don't need kids who could grow more powerful than them, they would probably regret it.

I mean, we act surprised but Dimps does this shit all the time.

Also, the Corrupt Zamasu character is a boss, and only has two combo strings and no ultimates (he has a single light attack combo and a single heavy attack combo). He isn't meant to be played and no one in their right mind would play as him if they had the chance to because he's slow as fuck.

It sure seemed like he was doing more than two strings on me.
Also I'm watching a video and the only thing really slow about him is his running speed, but it's not like that's something people do often in this game, nor is it something they couldn't simply change.

I wonder when Toriyama came up with the concept for Frieza, because Vegeta being afraid of a bunch of super strong children doesn't make sense when he's low man on the Galatic empire totem pole.

Because the manga of Dragon Ball is the true story Toriyama wanted to tell while the anime is just an adaption. You not liking something doesn't have a thing to do with it, in Toriyama's original version Goku >> Tien while the anime downplayed it.

Don't care.
Theres a difference between thats non canon because its not the manga, and thats not awesome because it didn't happen in the manga.

Don't care.
Theres a difference between thats non canon because its not the manga, and thats not awesome because it didn't happen in the manga.
Considering Super follows Kai, which follows a bit more closer to the manga than Z, I'm fairly certain that the Tenshinhan from Super is basically the Tenshinhan from the manga, and not the one from the DB anime or DBZ, so he never defeated any of Ginyu's men and only won the 22nd tournament because of a technicality and the fact that the Crane school cheated.

The fight in the manga is actually more fun than in the anime, btw, it flows better thanks to it not having any filler.

Granted, you could also claim that Goku cheated on that fight the moment he flew on the flying nimbus/kinton.

NeonZ

I wonder when Toriyama came up with the concept for Frieza, because Vegeta being afraid of a bunch of super strong children doesn't make sense when he's low man on the Galatic empire totem pole.

There's this anniversary comic where Toriyama says Freeza was created to die in Vegeta's place, so it seems Freeza was created just before Namek starts. It makes sense with Vegeta calling himself the strongest in the universe in the Saiyan Saga.

I guess originally Vegeta would be the villain again during Namek and die permanently there, but then Freeza is created to take that role and Vegeta is forced to team up with the others.

ElFly

it's toriyama. prolly while drawing the panel immediately before frieza is first ever mentioned

NeonZ

I think that transition goes really well because Toriyama didn't really write Freeza's introduction as a big reveal. Even though it contradicts a bit of what was said in the Saiyan Saga, he just went with it. "They said they cleaned planets and sold them to aliens, maybe those aliens are treating him?" Bulma says that and it leads right into the first scene with Freeza's army.

Freeza's name is dropped casually by the aliens and Vegeta as soon as they appear, like it were something established all along, and the only surprise comes from the other characters learning about him.

ElFly

about toriyama and his lack of planning, I wonder about the following plot points that obviously have a payoff later and were first introduced because ???

-Goku's origin: Roshi mentions that Gohan had found a strange baby that was Goku. Given the early series style, I assume his origin was going to be more mystical in nature than him being a plain old alien.

-Everything Piccolo: he is green and has antennae. Was he always gonna be an alien? Why did the re-fusion of Piccolo Jr and Kami take so long only to be used in a random fight against Cell?

-Goku's Instant teleportation: Why the fuck Goku learns IT during the android saga? Only to also be travelling in a space ship to earth anyway?

IT is particularly problematic, cause it allows Goku to die and then Cell to come back and also learn IT...but Cell was the third iteration of a villain for the saga. Would android 20 learn IT too? it somehow doesn't strike me as right, but it wouldn't have been rare for Android 20 to also have a bomb inside (I mean...why Cell has a bomb inside? did he use 17? or is he exploding by his own effort?).

so the only option I have is that IT was a tool for Goku to go pick up Dende as a new earth god, so around the point Trunks arrives, Toriyama had decided to cash in Piccolo's and Kami's fusion?

L Thammy

Instant transmission and flight were both to save on drawing travel, if I recall.

I think he just leaves a lot of threads intentionally open so that he has the opportunity to come back to them later. Not saying that he isn't impressive for making a story so consistent without planning, but I don't think he secretly planned things out far in advance.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Piccolo being an alien was hinted at in the 23rd tournament where he and Kami speak in a foreign language to each other. Not sure if it was planned any earlier than that

HeroR

Don't care.

Regardless, Toriyama's version of Tien was never as cool as anime Dragon Ball made him. Guess what Super is using.

Ray Down

Banned
Gonna be honest, I don't usually like plots that are clearly winged from one point to another with no planning...but holy shit, Toriyama did it well. Vegeta and Freeza being basically written on the spot is insanely impressive for how memorable they both ended up being.

Hell, that goes for the whole series haha.

As I said in that other DBZ thread:

Really a lot of Akira strengths are all about going along on the ride with him and he held you in the moments well and as twists and turns and surprises, he delivered. "Ultimate Gohan failed, instead its Goku and Vegeta fused, no wait..." And as plot twists, those kept you guessing, BUT... its easy to look at, (and especially in interviews) and tell that except for a couple broad points, he was largely making it up as he went along week by week. And he was very good at that.

But overall continuity, keeping up with various characters, and story cohesion were NOT his strong-points.

Like forgetting Launch and Tao Pai existed, or forgetting Gohan sage power up, or hair color, or animal people existed in early on.

HeroR

Considering Super follows Kai, which follows a bit more closer to the manga than Z, I'm fairly certain that the Tenshinhan from Super is basically the Tenshinhan from the manga, and not the one from the DB anime or DBZ, so he never defeated any of Ginyu's men and only won the 22nd tournament because of a technicality and the fact that the Crane school cheated.

The fight in the manga is actually more fun than in the anime, btw, it flows better thanks to it not having any filler.

Granted, you could also claim that Goku cheated on that fight the moment he flew on the flying nimbus/kinton.

Tien only won on a technicality in the anime too. He just put up a better fight overall. Also, Goku 'cheated' in the 21st tourument, not the 22nd.

Vegeta talking about being the strongest in the universe before Frieza's character was conceived just came off as him being full of shit as usual in my headcanon. That's how I reconciled it at least lol

NeonZ

Regardless, Toriyama's version of Tien was never as cool as anime Dragon Ball made him. Guess what Super is using.

I don't think King Ryu's Tenshinhan matches Toriyama's version either though. This is the character that reduced the Tenkaichi arena to a seemingly bottomless crater and yet he's complaining about Gohan breaking a random mountain?

HeroR

Super has used him better than most of Z up til now. I expect a decent showing for the tourney

In Z Tien took out two members of the Ginyu Force and fought base Trunks to a standstill in movie 9. What has Super done with him other than fight fodder?

I don't think King Ryu's Tenshinhan matches Toriyama's version either though. This is the character that reduced the Tenkaichi arena to a seemingly bottomless crater and yet he's complaining about Gohan breaking a random mountain?

The director of Super approved of Tien's portrayal so it's funny you keep blaming Ryu for him being trash. It isn't like he did much better in 89.

ElFly

Instant transmission and flight were both to save on drawing travel, if I recall.

I think he just leaves a lot of threads intentionally open so that he has the opportunity to come back to them later. Not saying that he isn't impressive for making a story so consistent without planning, but I don't think he secretly planned things out far in advance.

but it's not like he cashes in IT to avoid drawing immediately; he still draws the ship and the weird yardrat robes; they still fly around to find androids 19 and 20 and obviously Goku doesn't teleport himself to safety once the heart sickness kicks in. for all that matters, all he does with IT until he recovers from the heart sickness is steal Roshi's glasses

he only starts using it extensively once Cell has overtaken the plot so I assume introducing IT would have had a similar role in the original saga where only android 20 was the villain

of course it is not out of the realm of possibilities that AT thought "he should have something to show for all that time in space", gave him teleportation and never considered the consequences

or maybe it was just a tool to let Goku travel back to Kaioh and Namek, cause he had introduced those locations but immediately closed off ways to access them

NeonZ

The director of Super approved of Tien's portrayal so it's funny you keep blaming Ryu for him being trash. It isn't like he did much better in 89.

He lost way too easily to highlight Roshi in episode 89, but his characterization was mostly fine there. He instantly figures out what Goku was planning and tells Chaotzu to paralyze Yurin for example. Meanwhile, the next episode he can't even figure out what to do and has to hear Goku's orders. And on top of that he was whiny and had little of the attitude of the man who said he didn't mind dying against the androids if he was giving his all.

ElFly

Piccolo being an alien was hinted at in the 23rd tournament where he and Kami speak in a foreign language to each other. Not sure if it was planned any earlier than that

yeah that's p much the point where he clearly has become an alien in AT's mind; the next saga will introduce saiyans and they also mention Nameks, so it is quite quick between introducing the concept of aliens and then cashing in the plot

still have to wonder about Piccolo; his appareance is way too weird to not be an alien. Toriyama had drawn demons before and they didn't look like that; hell, even Freeza's first and second form are more demon-like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom