• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health Care Vote Delayed Until After July 4th Recess

shira

it's only getting worse every "revision"

these guys just change the language so it is a little less shitty for the immidiate future, then complete dogshit down the road

Why is it toast again? I remember reading something in the other thread that if they didn't vote on it now it'd probably be dead, but I forgot the reason why.

cakely

What?

I'm genuinely surprised, I thought he had already picked his two "no" votes and was ready to go with this.

Why is it toast again? I remember reading something in the other thread that if they didn't vote on it now it'd probably be dead, but I forgot the reason why.

Town halls and closer and closer to Mid-terms. This had to be done as soon as possible to retain votes but angry as hell constituents are going to rip their reps' heads off during the recess.

border

The longer it takes to pass, the more people will actually learn about it and begin to call their Senators and Representatives and complain. They were trying to just rush it to a vote as quickly as possible.

Because we get closer to midterms every day and the entire point of the GOP strategy was to force this thing through before they had to go home and face their angry constituents.

I hope McConnell goes home and puts a bullet in his head. Suck shit turtleface.

Look I hate the guy too but that's just fucking bad form

Maxim726X

Sweet, continuously failing on this means they can't get done with the other awful things they want to do.

Everyone wins.

Dude Abides

Banned

More time to apply pressure during the recess.

However I think it's a pretty short recess and it rose from the dead in the House once already so I wouldn't bury it just yet.

Armaros

What?

I'm genuinely surprised, I thought he had already picked his two "no" votes and was ready to go with this.

He was desperate to just get a vote and finally put healthcare behind him, but the rest of the GOP said otherwise.

Also his bluff for a quick vote to whip people in line failed, more poeple jumped off.

My topic on local resistence
My topic on the AHCA specifically

This is great news and senators need their phones to smoke and for the outside of their offices (Democratic and Republican) to be a cacophony of pissed of citizens against this hellish legislation. Call, Email, Snail Mail and Attend Recess resistence events. Make this delay a death sentence for the bill and the GOP's sickening machinations. Don't let up, don't rest. If your senator is a Democrat, make your talking points about encouraging them to jump on single layer/universal health; an actually welcome, progressive and humanitarian form of healthcare. Do not just sigh relief and stop paying attention. Continue to watch the political world like a hawk. Get involved and ready to vote.

kadotsu

Banned
Only three and a half years more to actually defend. If they lose this vote they will continue to sabotage the shit out of the ACA.

VariantX

Any extra time to allow people to process this is good. If it means blowing up their phones and stuffing their mailboxes full of complaints, then good.

Dartastic

I vaguely remember reading that if they couldn't get it done this week that it would no longer be able to be implemented via the budget reconciliation process and it would require a full 60 votes. Is that correct?

One year, four months, and one week, approximately. VOTE IN THE MIDTERMS.

Republicans sure as fuck won't be voting on this in 2018, that's for damn sure.

I vaguely remember reading that if they couldn't get it done this week that it would no longer be able to be implemented via the budget reconciliation process and it would require a full 60 votes. Is that correct?

There's seemingly no deadline to reconciliation, unless someone knows otherwise.

Top Bottom