• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack new gameplay

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think I'll get it solely for the fact that it is not another damn shooter.

softie

I really hope to be able to play it at Gamescom. Would be great, if they'd present a new build of the game with more fidelity and polish, especially with cool platforming section, that are challenging. If not, then I'll wait for a demo at launch and decide then, if it's worth to spend my money on it. :)

Subaru

This game looks good. Camera needs some work, though.

Also, this video shown off a good portion of the PlayStation 4 UI. I freaking love it!

EDIT: People like you make it hard to enjoy video games...

You can't blame me: how was the last time that a plataformer made by any Sony team was really great? It's not just the graphic, the pacing, the gameplay seems a little bit boring.

101 is made by one of the best and most critically acclaimed devs in the industry. Sony's Japan studio is nice and all but let's be real. Discounting Knack because of that is pretty lame. Platinum is top-tier.

Anyway, if I had the money for a few games at launch this would be one as a nice change of pace. Looks really easy and stress-free. Unfortunately, I can only buy one or two max.

Ok, maybe I'm exagerating by comparing to PG games... it's really unfair.
But I think this game is just "ok" in every aspect, and I'm tired of "ok" games.

And I'm gonna explaint it why Knack seems, FROM THIS VIDEO, to be only an "ok" game to me:
He is slow and the stage is VERY big. See how many time Knack just walk doing NOTHING. And it seems that you don't even have a way to run faster, or make some cool jumps (like Z + A in SM64), you just have to walk, walk, walk, walk, in an endless and boring stage.

This can change, but its already july and the game will be released until the end of the year. Knack don't need to be intense like a PG game, but c'mon, I'm tired of walking in enormous worlds while doing nothing.

I think I'll get it solely for the fact that it is not another damn shooter.

I think that's why it's on my radar as well, like way on the edge of the radar but on it. I love shooters, they're my fav genre. Just wouldn't mind playing something like this in between headshots. I'll buy it for $25-30 once it bombs.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
lol, poor Cerny at the beginning of the video. That speaker psyches him out and he gets ready to talk like 4 times but they just keep going.

Grinchy

Banned
I might pick it up for $20 or less some day. Visually it's appealing, but I don't think I'm really the demographic they're going after. They say it's fun for kids and adults, but to me that's more of a Ratchet or Jak game that can do both. This doesn't seem to do combat or platforming as well as a Ratchet game (based on what has been shown so far). It seems very much built for kids who suck at games.

Looks nice but gameplay looks boring. No matter how big or what Knack's appearance is, it doesn't really change the gameplay at all (well based on that demo).

nAy1xb5.gif

Shinta

Banned
It actually looks like something I would have expected THQ (RIP) to put out for a system launch now that I think about it.

Yeah I love the fact that they don't have a sequel in sight with 4 new IPs including Pantioception for Vita.

Sorry, I just had to tease you a bit :)

It was called Panopticon initially. Now it's unfortunately called Freedom Wars.

Pantioception sounds like anime panties + inception, which sounds kind of amazing ...

khaaan

Why did I have to verify my age to watch this video?

Looks like it'll be fun, that was a nice little walkthrough. I was expecting more of a platformer and less of an action game which is kind of a bummer but it still maintains a lot of old school charm. Hopefully the claim that the enemy encounters become quite difficult is true.

SkylineRKR

It's going to be buried day one. Watch Dogs, AC4, BF4, CoD:Ghost, KZ:SF, DriveClub, etc. Knack is going to be very low on the typical early adopter's shopping list I imagine. Unless they're a parent and just want a game they can play while the kids are around, and that will certainly be a healthy chunk of the audience, I guess we'll see.

I somehow hold the idea that we won't see all of this at launch day. If it is (with a staggering 3 triple A FPS et al), then the launch is the most astonishing in Playstation history. It sounds too good to be true. I might end up with KZ, BF4, Driveclub and Watch Dogs in that case.

But anyway, I think the bland art direction, God of War inspired brawler gameplay, the slow mo dodge stuff and all isn't even all that appealing to kids. I wonder to whom this game is appealing at all.

VanWinkle

I still have some hope for this. I NEED sto see some platforming. Another problem I have it the running/walking doesn't look grounded. It looks almost like he's floating over the ground. Also, his running animation continues when he reaches a wall which looks terrible. His jumping animation often looks very janky, too. Nevertheless, I'm still hopeful because I WANT this game to be good.

This game looks good. Camera needs some work, though.

Also, this video shown off a good portion of the PlayStation 4 UI. I freaking love it!

Wait I didn't see any of the PS4 UI in that? Where? Or are you talking about the game's UI?

zeopower6

even cerny can't seduce me into being impressed by the e3 demo. the levels are so empty it's almost eerie and the producer comment about the game being about working out how to beat enemies is more revealing than cerny's comparisons to crash. i mean at one point he says "the gameplay is like crash bandicoot" which is patently isn't. in that game there tons of pure platforming challenge, here you occasionally jump up stairs or over snowballs to get to generic brawling. with the dodge it does kinda seem like god of war made acceptable for children.

hopefully it's just the e3 demo though. i still hold out hope going forwards. i like the character design and visuals.

Knowing that Cerny is the one behind the game, I think he'd know what he's talking about...

Anyway, the demo from what I saw was just to show off different Knacks (medium, big, Stealth, Ice) and not show off the ~varied gameplay~. I think we have to see more to say whether or not this is as 'worthless' as a lot of people are saying it is. I'm of the camp though that mainly likes Knack when he's little... when he gets big, he gets a bit ugly... like a fat Ganondorf or something with backhair relics. And that Samuel L. Jackson-y voice...

We never saw any of what's in the trailer in the demo, so I am sure that the demo is NOT representative of the whole game. However, I do get that a) the world seems bland and kinda boring... honestly, I think it's because it's sort of set in the 'real world' with Knack and the goblins being the only real ~unique~ aspects so far and b) the levels are extremely barren... though given the levels that they showed us, I kind of expect that.

h4piSNd.gif

I mean, doesn't this sequence kind of look platform-y to you?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I really don't like the GoW style camera in this game. I want to be able to freely look around in an action platformer.

A more open-world-like game similar to SM64 or Banjo-Kazooie would have been freakin' awesome.

My biggest problem with the game so far is that it looks extremely linear.

You can't blame me: how was the last time that a plataformer made by any Sony team was really great? It's not just the graphic, the pacing, the gameplay seems a little bit boring.

But I think this game is just "ok" in every aspect, and I'm tired of "ok" games.

And I'm gonna explaint it why Knack seems, FROM THIS VIDEO, to be only an "ok" game to me:
He is slow and the stage is VERY big. See how many time Knack just walk doing NOTHING. And it seems that you don't even have a way to run faster, or make some cool jumps (like Z + A in SM64), you just have to walk, walk, walk, walk, in an endless and boring stage.

This can change, but its already july and the game will be released until the end of the year. Knack don't need to be intense like a PG game, but c'mon, I'm tired of walking in enormous worlds while doing nothing.

ACIT which was made by Insomniac (not first party, but exclusive) is one of the best games of the generation.
2- This is not purely a platformer.
Knack looks much creative than the generic new 3D Mario that Nintendo showed at E3.

I think despite looking boring the game might have surprising depth, faith probably. I've got it pre-ordered against my better judgement ($39, Canada, rawr) because it does look "boring" and normally wait for NeoGAF impressions but the awesome futureshop deal and wanting this style of game has made it a get.

I honestly do think this is going to get turned into a franchise and I do think its' going to sell well out of the gates. There are like no other family games coming out near or at launch so by default it's the 'get' for that market.

VanWinkle

A more open-world-like game similar to SM64 or Banjo-Kazooie would have been freakin' awesome.

I'm fine with linear. Super Mario Galaxy was both linear AND had a fixed camera and that was one of the best 3D platformers ever. Those aren't my problems with the game.

khaaan

So Cerny claims that the city level that we've seen a whole lot of is about 45 minutes start to finish (says it at around the 10:40 minute mark) which is a reaallllyyy long level. I hope it can maintain player interest for that long, I feel like even if I broke it up into 3-5 different play sessions it could feel tiring.

zoukka

ACIT which was made by Insomniac (not first party, but exclusive) is one of the best games of the generation.
Knack looks much creative than the generic new 3D Mario that Nintendo showed at E3.

Acit didn't have much platforming in it. As for the latter suggestion, are you mixing visual style with game design :b

zeopower6

So Cerny claims that the city level that we've seen a whole lot of is about 45 minutes start to finish (says it at around the 10:40 minute mark) which is a reaallllyyy long level. I hope it can maintain player interest for that long, I feel like even if I broke it up into 3-5 different play sessions it could feel tiring.

It must have a lot of different parts to it.

This can change, but its already july and the game will be released until the end of the year. Knack don't to be intense like a PG game, but c'mon, I'm tired of walking in enormous worlds doing nothing.

Also I dislike that he's supposed to be made of so many pieces, but it doesn't do anything to change gameplay or enhance it. He does this constant 3 hit combo, (to make things worse, the goblins go down after 2 hits). The sidestep looks a mix of interesting and questionable, it honestly reminds me of Force Unleashed.

A lot of people are using the "family game" as an excuse but a lot of these games usually have to try to introduce some mechanics that require execution and thought, even at a basic level.

I've seen so many threads praising Mark Cerny, the PS4 technolgy, and this is the result? C'mon man. I don't know how long most people on this forum has been playing video games, but I assumed it's been enough to have some standards.

Loudninja

I think despite looking boring the game might have surprising depth, faith probably. I've got it pre-ordered against my better judgement ($39, Canada, rawr) because it does look "boring" and normally wait for NeoGAF impressions but the awesome futureshop deal and wanting this style of game has made it a get.

I honestly do think this is going to get turned into a franchise and I do think its' going to sell well out of the gates. There are like no other family games coming out near or at launch so by default it's the 'get' for that market.
Wow.

Over 100 Enemy types.

Over 200 secret rooms. Random loot for power ups - 50 different kinds.

Looking at the four little pieces they're showing in this demo, I'm a lot more intrigued than I was. The outdoor, more open/platformy parts look GREAT.

Loving the vibe. Little Stealth Knack's run animation is perfectly charming.

And LOL at the part where Knack is just throwing cars around.

Sounds like it.

SkylineRKR

Exactly. But we expect and want this game to be something entirely different. And it just isn't that. Can't even blame the game for not being what we want it to be tbh. They created a friendly brawler, and according to them Knack is based on GoW, Crash and Katamari.

But yeah, I wanted Knack to be a sort of Banjo. With Knacks abilities being used to cross hazards. For example, changing into a giant to topple a tree to use as a bridge. That sort of thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No, not a 10th of gameplay ideas, possibilities, you could compare it more accurately to project hammer, which Nintendo didn't dare to release. It's a B tier bland game from the footage we've seen so far.

This game looks like shit. Very disappointed with it. The gameplay looks dull and I am not really seeing a next gen looking game here. The explosions look awful and the enemies just disappear. Game is clearly not using much of the PS4 power.

Top Bottom