• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break Blade (anime) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
I just watched episode 3 of this (it seems to be pretty much coming out with one episode per quarter at about 45 minutes a piece) and damn... this is how a anime involving mecha should be. This is no gundam - there's impact to each hit and you can almost feel it when a mech gets smashed to pieces.

Oh and the OP is by Kokia, which is also amazing (as her songs so often are).

Info from the wiki:

Broken Blade (ブレイク ブレイド, Bureiku Bureido ?, a.k.a. "Break Blade") is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yunosuke Yoshinaga. Flex Comix published the first tankōbon volume of the manga on April 10, 2007.[1] The manga is licensed in North America by CMX,[2] which released the first tankōbon volume of the manga on July 7, 2009 despite previously announcing the release date of the manga as June 23, 2009.[3] The manga is licensed in Taiwan by Tong Li Publishing.[4] The manga is to be adapted into six 50 minute animated movies. (3 of these are out now)

Plot:

The series is centered around Rygart Arrow, an "un-sorcerer" born into a world of people who can use magic. These people can make quartz do many things in machinery including riding giant mechas called Golems, but Rygart is one of the few exceptions; he cannot use quartz, making many aspects of life difficult for him. Yet despite this, at the Assam military school, he manages to become best friends with Hodr and Sigyn, the future King and Queen of the Krisna Kingdom and Zess, the younger brother of the Secretary of War of the Athens Commonwealth.

Years later, Rygart is reunited with Hodr and Sigyn at the Capital city of Krisna where he learns the Athens Commonwealth has just declared war on Krisna and Zess is leading a strike force to the capital. But it is at the capital that Rygart learns that his un-sorcerer ability allows him to pilot an ancient, effective, Golem that cannot be piloted by magic users. Ryagrt soon gets involved in the war between Krisna and Athens.

Break-Blade.jpg

break-blade-02-21.jpg

gg_break_blade_3_720p_dcc762da_mkv_snapshot_18.jpg

breakblade02grande.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-09-08-20h26m07s98.jpg

Opening song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqYvjaa2Uvo

1stStrike

Banned
Raide said:
I have watched the first 2 films, really cannot wait for the next set. Really got into it. :D

You need to grab the 3rd one and watch it asap :p It really kicks things up a notch.

Also, I agree that the mech designs are great - everything is about as realistic as a mecha anime (and anime in general) can be, and everything just feels really... solid. You'll see once you guys watch it and they whip out the broken blade mech.

HamPster PamPster said:
Love the manga

I didn't realise the anime has started. Is it on Crunchyroll or Hulu?

Has someone licensed it yet?

Not that I'm aware of. It should be fairly easy to find online. A couple sub groups have been putting out blu-ray releases.

Pejo

Main character makes me think of....

EDGE MAVERICK: The after years!

Will check it out though, like the art.

1stStrike

Banned
Pejo said:
Main character makes me think of....

EDGE MAVERICK: The after years!

Will check it out though, like the art.

They put a lot of detail into the eyes in this series. They really like showing that off too lol. He's got probably the bluest eyes I've ever seen on an anime character.

Deadly

Has Girge been introduced yet? Because that's when it starts to get really good. You gotta wonder at what pace they're going to be releasing the episodes because the manga isn't even finished yet.

1stStrike

Banned
Deadly said:
Has Girge been introduced yet? Because that's when it starts to get really good. You gotta wonder at what pace they're going to be releasing the episodes because the manga isn't even finished yet.

He was just introduced at the end of episode 3. They're releasing them at about 1 episode per 3 - 4 months from the looks of it, with 6 episodes to end it. The last episode is supposed to release in March.

1stStrike said:
Not that I'm aware of. It should be fairly easy to find online. A couple sub groups have been putting out blu-ray releases.

Sheesh how big are those

I don't see anything on wikipedia about it being licensed. Damn you funimation you can put fucking Freezing on Hulu but not this!

What is wrong with the world gaf :(

1stStrike

Banned
Pandaman said:
an anime about giant robots fighting, how original.

The mech battles are actually not a huge part of it. They play a role, sure, but they spend more time out of their mechs and developing the actual story. There's also no lasers or pew pewing going on. It's in a league above the rest.

HamPster PamPster said:
Sheesh how big are those

I don't see anything on wikipedia about it being licensed. Damn you funimation you can put fucking Freezing on Hulu but not this!

What is wrong with the world gaf :(

About 3 gb after encoding and a bit of compression :p

Xamdou

Oh wow I've been reading the manga and didn't even know they did an anime adaptation of it!

Definitely going to check it out!

Deadly

1stStrike said:
He was just introduced at the end of episode 3. They're releasing them at about 1 episode per 3 - 4 months from the looks of it, with 6 episodes to end it. The last episode is supposed to release in March.
With Girge just being introduced at the end of episode 3, I doubt they can cover everything else in 3 episodes...

Meier

Just wikied it since I thought it might be Bones from the designs.. Production I.G. Even better (arguably). I never watch anime any more but I'm certain it's at least well done if they're involved.

1stStrike

Banned
Deadly said:
With Girge just being introduced at the end of episode 3, I doubt they can cover everything else in 3 episodes...

I don't think it was ever their intention to cover the entire series, but I'm not sure as I haven't watched the other 3 episodes yet - they are each about 45 minutes though, so that is pretty long (about 2 anime episodes each). It'll probably be something like Guin Saga where it gets to a good part to end it, and then you'll have to go for the manga for the rest, but what's been done so far is top notch. Well worth it IMO.

Geneijin

Deadly said:
Has
Girge
been introduced yet? Because that's when it starts to get really good. You gotta wonder at what pace they're going to be releasing the episodes because the manga isn't even finished yet.
OVA 3 & 4 PV

OVA 4 looks like it'll go up to Girge's ambush at least from what I see in the PV. OVA 5 has the duel between Borcuse and Rygart.

I'd be more concerned with how the anime will end.

2San

Read a part of the manga(comic). While it's pretty solid. It's pretty generic. While it never hurts to try, but don't go in expecting something great. Though the anime might have awesome animation, I wouldn't know since I haven't seen it.

Geneijin

2San said:
Read a part of the manga(comic). While it's pretty solid. It's pretty generic. While it never hurts to try, but don't go in expecting something great. Though the anime might have awesome animation, I wouldn't know since I haven't seen it.
Pretty much although the awesome animation is debatable. I thought the fights lacked a certain zest to them, even episode 3's. Everything is pleasant to look at though.

Max

I am not Max
"there's impact to each hit and you can almost feel it when a mech gets smashed to pieces."

Makes me miss Escaflowne. I should probably check this out

1stStrike

Banned
Max said:
"there's impact to each hit and you can almost feel it when a mech gets smashed to pieces."

Makes me miss Escaflowne. I should probably check this out

I've never actually watched Escaflowne. I probably should.

1stStrike

Banned
Kagari said:
The manga is some really good stuff; I highly recommend it.

I'm going to be reading the manga either tonight or tomorrow in an attempt to catch up. Looking forward to it. I found the series first but hadn't yet gotten around to watching the manga, but with me being in between games right now and trapped inside with snow storm after snow storm, might as well knock it out :)

Shouta

Characters in the series are a little flimsy but the action in the manga is top-notch as far as giant robots go. Current volume is pretty awesome stuff.

Lain

I like the anime, it looks really great visually, but it lacks something, especially when it comes to the fights. To me, it actually lacks... impact, when it comes to the fights, at least in the first episode.
The manga is awesome though.

1stStrike

Banned
Lain said:
I like the anime, it looks really great visually, but it lacks something, especially when it comes to the fights. To me, it actually lacks... impact, when it comes to the fights, at least in the first episode.
The manga is awesome though.

The first episode really doesn't show you much of the break blade, and the fights build up. I'll admit the guns they use feel more like pea shooters, but in episode two and three you really see what I'm referring to when I mention "impact" in regards to the "black golem".

X-Frame said:
Okay so how do I watch it?

Where is it "playing" ..

At a anime sub group near you. Try using google. It's not licensed in the US yet.

1stStrike

Banned
mjc said:
There's only three episodes out so far right?

Yes. Episodes forthcoming:

4 "The Land of Disaster"
"Sanga no Ji" (惨禍ノ地 [さんかのち]) October 30, 2010 February 25, 2011

5 "Edge of the Line of Death"
"Shisen no Hate" (死線ノ涯 [しせんのはて]) January 22, 2011 TBA

6 "Enclave of Lamentations"
"Doukoku no Toride" (慟哭ノ砦 [どうこくのとりで]) March 26, 2011 TBA

The 4th one is released on blu-ray on the 25th of Feb so expect to see it subbed and released soon-ish after that.

Suairyu

Banned
The ridiculous large breasts on a twelve year old, the amount of panty shots and the one-out-of-place-slapstick-joke-per-episode grate on me, but overall this is a really enjoyable action fantasy series so far. It's not the most intelligent story, yet it delivers it straight with an air of seriousness that makes the content more striking than its clichéd roots might otherwise have been.

Longer than typical episodes make for a good pace, too. It doesn't feel it has to have some sort of climax every five minutes.

Music is good, save for the rock outro.

1stStrike

Banned
Suairyu said:
The ridiculous large breasts on a twelve year old, the amount of panty shots and the one-out-of-place-slapstick-joke-per-episode grate on me, but overall this is a really enjoyable action fantasy series so far. It's not the most intelligent story, yet it delivers it straight with an air of seriousness that makes the content more striking than its clichéd roots might otherwise have been.

Longer than typical episodes make for a good pace, too. It doesn't feel it has to have some sort of climax every five minutes.

Music is good, save for the rock outro.

Yeah, haha, Rygart even comments on her body in episode 3 when he finds out her age. "What did they do to her?" lol

And yeah it's not the most original story in the world, but as you said, it's straight forward and does it pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom