• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX Vega thread

Reallink

1080s are Readily available at sub msrp in most cases because they are shit for mining ether.

You can get a gigabyte 3 fan 1080 for $509 which is insane on Newegg right now. It will roast even a wc Vega 64 once ocd.

Back in May/June, Newegg ran multiple sales moving those 1080's on their Ebay store front for $389 - $429. They were brand new shipped by Newegg direct.

Wasn't Nvidia transparent at least? We knew that the Founder's Edition cards were marked up.
Also, this seems like an actual marketing trick to appear to have more value.
Nvidia just charged an impatience tax.

This is correct. Nvidia said straight up, pay more now for reference cards or wait a few weeks for the AIBs. They were completely up front about it. There was never any subterfuge or secret price raises. What AMD is doing is actually considerably more underhanded to the consumer.

ethomaz

Banned
Wasn't Nvidia transparent at least? We knew that the Founder's Edition cards were marked up.
Also, this seems like an actual marketing trick to appear to have more value.
Nvidia just charged an impatience tax.

This is correct. Nvidia said straight up, pay more now for reference cards or wait a few weeks for the AIBs. They were completely up front about it. There was never any subterfuge or secret price raises. What AMD is doing is actually considerably more underhanded to the consumer.

I agree nVidia managed it better.

ZOONAMI

Not exactly, as the aib cards outside of evga were pretty much all out the founders price or higher, for several months. Evga lower priced cards were sold out for months too. Most 1070s at retail are also still at founders level price if you can find one. Imo it was still largely deceptive of Nvidia.

Not exactly, as the aib cards outside of evga were pretty much all out the founders price or higher, for several months. Evga lower priced cards were sold out for months too. Most 1070s at retail are also still at founders level price if you can find one. Imo it was still largely deceptive of Nvidia.

Nvidia didn't set those prices though, AIB partners and retailers did, as they saw Pascal cards were super popular and could sell at a higher than MSRP price.

AMD is setting these new prices after an intentional attempt to deceive reviewers with lower Vega pricing to take account for in their reviews. AIB partners and retailers have to follow suite or lose money.

dr_rus

Just checked anands

Battlefield - amd
Ashes - amd
Doom - amd
Ghost recon - nvidia
Dawn of war - amd
Dues ex - amd
Gta v - nvidia (why is this title even benched anymore)
F1 - amd
Total war - nvidia

6 to 3 amd

And all 6 or those are AMD sponsored as well as Total War which they've spent half a year trying to get faster than NV's DX11 in DX12 but just couldn't make it. So 7 to 2 there are AMD sponsored games. And this is what you're likely using for your conclusions on how AMD cards are aging better these days. It's just pure BS.

Well, a full Volta V100, as used in the newest Tesla card is unlikely to ever reach gamers, but certainly that doesn't mean Volta GPU architecture isn't going to reach consumer graphics cards in 2018, i.e. a GV104 in the next main GTX GeForce card.

Looks like it won't. Next GF will be based on a newer architecture than Volta.

And i think the nv fe cards are binned? Atleast the 1080ti.

1080Ti FE cost the same as 1080Ti AIB.

They were also all OCed and using better coolers than FEs which means that they would've cost the same even if the FE price would be lower.

Marmelade

Regarding Vega64 pricing, if true, it doesn't bode well for vega56.
If the margins are small as it is for v64 they should be even smaller or quasi non-existent for v56 @$399..

FingerBang

Regarding Vega64 pricing, if true, it doesn't bode well for vega56.
If the margins are small as it is for v64 they should be even smaller or quasi non-existent for v56 @$399..

Pretty much. And this is basically the only vega that makes sense to buy (especially if paired with a freesync display).

Indeed it seems Nvidia's next line of GPUs won't be arriving until Feb-May 2018 after CEO's comments.

So those wishing the Vega's to get blown out the water by Pascal's successor will be waiting a long time. Looking like at least 6 months! Plenty of time for both Vega's to clearly overtake their direct Pascal equivalents in perf.

Problem with Volta it seems is its very expensive to manufacture. Expect prices to rise again (+$50 across the line-up).

Durante

So those wishing the Vega's to get blown out the water by Pascal's successor will be waiting a long time. Looking like at least 6 months!
Yeah, that would really be an issue if Pascal wasn't already blowing Vega out of the water.
Also, it's a bit amusing to talk about waiting "a long time" of "at least 6 months" after we just had a release which ended a period of 15 months of waiting for something from AMD to kind-of sort-of catch up to NV's May 2016 releases.

(Yeah, if you can't tell I'm a bit annoyed at just how unimpressive Vega is, especially since I have to buy one)

Paganmoon

Yeah, that would really be an issue if Pascal wasn't already blowing Vega out of the water.
Also, it's a bit amusing to talk about waiting "a long time" of "at least 6 months" after we just had a release which ended a period of 15 months of waiting for something from AMD to kind-of sort-of catch up to NV's May 2016 releases.

(Yeah, if you can't tell I'm a bit annoyed at just how unimpressive Vega is, especially since I have to buy one)

Have to? For dev purposes? Cause didn't you get a 1080 last year?

You lucky boy I would personally be pleased to buy a Vega 56 once the prices settle. £380 for a custom this time next month and I'll be there. If not, life goes on and I wait until July 2018 for a GeForce 2070.

thelastword

Banned
Will be funny if it turns out V56 is price competitor to 1080.
Vega 56 gets pretty close to a GTX1080 and beats it in several games, especially more recent games, so I can see it selling for up-to $500-550.00 from AIB's.

OTOH

Apparently, AIB water cooled blocks will do a lot for Vega as far as cooling solutions go. The current beta driver seems to be downclocking HBM on the Vega FE, don't know if that translates to the RX, but there's a lot of driver optimizations and a lot of perf not utilized on Vega right now...

HBM does not seem to use more than 20watts, that's why adding +50 to your power limit is free performance on Vega cards, as HBM still does not go beyond 20 watts in that case. If that limit could be offset and also the voltage limits increased by AIB's then we will see some interesting results. So far, Vega 56 can be pushed to 1.3V so you will get overclocks to HBM in the 950-980Mhz range. The Vega FE goes up to 1.35 and you get overclocks up to 1100Mhz. All preliminary stuff of course, but a bios unlock mode will open up lots for Vega, so I hope AMD obliges...

There has not been much tinkering with Vega 64, but I would assume it's voltage limits should be higher than 56, in that case, higher overclocks on HBM along with core clocks will bring alot of additional perf to that card with a good cooling solution.

ethomaz

Banned
Vega 56 is now pretty close to GTX 1080? I can't say if people believes in what their write because Vega 64 is pretty close to GTX 1080.

GTX 1070 is more close to Vega 56 than Vega 56 to GTX 1080.

BTW most recents games (2017) favor nVidia that makes the other claim false too.

thelastword

Banned
Vega 56 is now pretty close to GTX 1080? I can't say if people believes in what their write because Vega 64 is pretty close to GTX 1080.

GTX 1070 is more close to Vega 56 than Vega 56 to GTX 1080.

BTW most recents games (2017) favor nVidia that makes the other claim false too.
The post is just above, it reads...

"Vega 56 gets pretty close to a GTX1080 and beats it in several games, especially more recent games"

Dirt 4, Warhammer, The Division, Infinite Warfare, Civilization and Ashes it matches or beats the 1080 with a slight OC. I'm just saying with a better cooler and AIB cards you can expect even better performance....where you will see the 56 beating GTX 1080 in more games on top of driver optimizations....

For reference, here's the delta between a stock vega 56 (without an OC) against a gtx 1080. Gtx 1080 has a bigger lead in more older games than newer ones. I don't think 56 will ever beat or match 1080 in GTA etc....but it has a chance to match and beat it in many others with AIB cards...

Just check the delta on some of the games.....Obviously 1080 has a big lead in some, but in others not so much...

Vega 56 vs GTX 1080 @ 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IbkDoRwvg&t=2s

In essence, I can see the Vega 56 surpassing or matching the GTX 1080 in these games with a decent AIB card. More surpassing than matching tbh as it's already matching the 1080 in a few games already.

Far Cry Primal
Resident Evil 7
Hitman
Deus Ex
Titanfall 2
Total War Warhammer
Civilization
Watch Dogs 2
Infinite Warfare
Quake Champions
Sniper Elite 4
Dawn of War
The Dirt lead will extend

Match it in DOOM with 1% lows
Match it or come close in Witcher 3, Battlefied 1, Mirrors Edge, Dihonored 2 and For Honor....

The bigger lead I see for the GTX1080 that will not be matched is GTAV, Crysis 3, Overwatch etc...I think it's too late for AMD to tackle gains there, but who knows with Crysis 3 as the results are a bit odd. I also happen to believe that Crysis performs better with an 8 core ryzen over a 7700k, so we'll see...PUBG is in beta, but it's lead on NV is pretty big, so we'll see how that pans out.

OTOH

Why aren't we seeing some MS games like Gears of War 4, Gears of War Remaster, Recore, Quantum Break, Forza 6, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct in some of these benchmarks.. Vega 56 vs 1070? Framerates from 1080p-2160p would be interesting information.......It will also be interesting to see scores on games like Batman Arkham Knight, Bioshock Infinite/Remasters, Skyrim remaster etc....Tekken 6 is yet another...

ethomaz

Banned
The post is just above, it reads...

"Vega 56 gets pretty close to a GTX1080 and beats it in several games, especially more recent games"

Dirt 4, Warhammer, The Division, Infinite Warfare, Civilization and Ashes it matches or beats the 1080 with a slight OC. I'm just saying with a better cooler and AIB cards you can expect even better performance....where you will see the 56 beating GTX 1080 in more games on top of driver optimizations....

For reference, here's the delta between a stock vega 56 against a gtx 1080. Gtx 1080 has a bigger lead in more older games than newer ones. I don't think 56 will ever beat or match 1080 in GTA etc....but it has a chance to match and beat it in many others with AIB cards...

Just check the delta on some of the games.....Obviously 1080 has a big lead in some, but in others not so much...

Vega 56 vs GTX 1080 @ 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IbkDoRwvg&t=2s
Vega 64 didn't beat GTX 1080 so how Vega 56 do that?

Newer games (in your chosen resolution):

Resident Evil 7 = +0%
Ghost Recon Wildlands = +23%
Snipe Elite 4 = +15%
Prey = +16%
Styx: Shards of Darkness = +24%

GTX 1080 has a big lead in newer games... old games like Doom has big advantage for Vega.

Using the games you listed (in your chosen resolution):

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III = +16%
Civilization VI = +29%
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare = +0%
Ashes of the Singularity = +17%
Hitman = +14%
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided = -3%
Watch Dogs 2 = +29%
Total War: Warhammer = +40%

PS. I'm a bit lazy to look for a 3rd review site to show The Division and Dirt 4 results ;)

Edit - You did list more games... most of them with GTX 1080 lead... you are trying to make Vega 56 has a performance of something it doesn't have... perhaps you are confusing Vega 56 as Vega 64.

dr_rus

GV100 is 150% of GP100 in size so of course it's more expensive to manufacture. But this has no relation to Volta (architecture) or anything coming for GeForce markets.

Also, yeah, I'm pretty sure that the gap between Vega's launch and the next GeForce lineup will be smaller than that between Pascal and Vega. So you could say that Vega has about those 6 months or so to "to clearly overtake" Pascal in those three to five AMD sponsored games with botched low level renderers.

Ganzor

Hmm you guys think its worth snatching a RX Vega 56 if i can get it at the launch price of 399$ or wait for the 3rd party coolers? then the price might have hiked 100$ and it sound like GPU prices are going to rise even more because of Memory prices increasing : /

Locuza

Now Gamestar testet the HBCC too.
The results are the worst from all three (PCGH, Computerbase, Gamestar).
The HBCC is always slower or just as fast as off.
On average HBCC off was 4-5 faster:
http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/radeon-rx-vega-64-benchmarks-mit-high-bandwith-cache-controller,3318564.html

PCGH found that the HBCC was always as fast or faster than without.
CB had mixed results, sometimes the HBCC won, sometimes it lessened the performance.

The games each one testet were different and so was the testsystem.

PCGH used the 6800K @ 4,4 Ghz with 32GB (3200) in quad-channel-mode, ~4GB system memory were reserved for ~12 GB unified memory.

CB used also 32GB (probably quad-channel (3000) with the 6850K @ 4,3 Ghz)
They reserved 8GB for 16GB unified memory.

Gamestar in contrast used the 7700K @ default with 16GB (2400) dual-channel memory where they reserved 4GB for 12 GB unified memory.

ethomaz

Banned
Now Gamestar testet the HBCC in the aftermath.
The results are the worst from all three (PCGH, Computerbase, Gamestar).
The HBCC is always slower or just as fast as off.
On average HBCC off was 4-5 faster:
http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/radeon-rx-vega-64-benchmarks-mit-high-bandwith-cache-controller,3318564.html

PCGH found that the HBCC was always as fast or faster than without.
CB had mixed results, sometimes the HBCC won, sometimes it lessened the performance.

The games each one testet were different and so was the testsystem.

PCGH used the 6800K @ 4,4 Ghz with 32GB (3200) in quad-channel-mode, ~4GB system memory were reserved for ~12 GB unified memory.

CB used also 32GB (probably quad-channel (3000) with the 6850K @ 4,3 Ghz)
They reserved 8GB for 16GB unified memory.

Gamestar in contrast used the 7700K @ default with 16GB (2400) dual-channel memory where they reserved 4GB for 12 GB unified memory.
Maybe HBCC depends of the system RAM performance but even the best review until now showed little to no gain with HBCC.

Hmm you guys think its worth snatching a RX Vega 56 if i can get it at the launch price of 399$ or wait for the 3rd party coolers? then the price might have hiked 100$ and it sound like GPU prices are going to rise even more because of Memory prices increasing : /

Wouldn't buy a blower style card for any amount of money. Wait and pay extra for better cooler

Locuza

PCGH showed a little teaser for next week (unknow topic so far).
But they testet a game where Nvidia ist CPU limited and a 1060-1080Ti are pretty much at the same level.
Interestly enough, Vega 56 and Vega 64 are beating all Geforces.
So in this CPU limited case AMD is in front, which is quite rare.
Hawaii (390X) might perform worse than expected, Fury X is just a bit faster than the 580 but Vega really pulls off there.

But increasing the resolution to UHD absolutely tanks the Radeon performance, Phil from PCGH (blaidd in 3DCenter) says that the Vega 56 is roughly performing on 1060 GTX level, Vega 64 ~ 1070 GTX.
The game could be PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

attachment.php

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11465009#post11465009

I would mount another cooler, for reference i was fine with the RX 480 blower cooler in my mATX case.

Fair enough. Tbh I used to have a 690 years ago which never gave me issues, but it was little noisy and ran hot.

In theory blowers can be useful, so I should have asked him what set up he had and a blower might be useful for him in reality.

But overall blowers aren't really best option in most scenarios

Nydus

Gold Member
PCGH showed a little teaser for next week (unknow topic so far).
But they testet a game where Nvidia ist CPU limited and a 1060-1080Ti are pretty much at the same level.
Interestly enough, Vega 56 and Vega 64 are beating all Geforces.
So in this CPU limited case AMD is in front, which is quite rare.
Hawaii (390X) might perform worse than expected, Fury X is just a bit faster than the 580 but Vega really pulls off there.

But increasing the resolution to UHD absolutely tanks the Radeon performance, Phil from PCGH (blaidd in 3DCenter) says that the Vega 56 is roughly performing on 1060 GTX level, Vega 64 ~ 1070 GTX.
The game could be PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11465009#post11465009

No its not. Your Screenshot shows 1080p and those framerates are way too low. My strix 1080ti has those framerates @1440p with everything @ ultra in yasnaya (or whatever it is called). Its already confirmed that AMD is atm not so good in pubg.

Edit: a sorry missed the part with cpu limit. Cpu limit with a 6900k??? I make a quick test with the ti @1080p and report back.

And on the pricing lie:

I think thats really scummy. I hope the techpress updates their reviews if true :(

ISee

BTW; We can also expect prices for Polaris and Pascal to further increase. Samsung wants to concentrate a bit more on NAND flash and wants to cut down GDDR production. They expect GDDR5 prices to go up by ~30%. Now I don't know how expansive they are in the first place, but we can expect at least a slight price bump for GPUs, again.

Ganzor

Fair enough. Tbh I used to have a 690 years ago which never gave me issues, but it was little noisy and ran hot.

In theory blowers can be useful, so I should have asked him what set up he had and a blower might be useful for him in reality.

But overall blowers aren't really best option in most scenarios

I think i might just order the stock card if i can grab it cheap :) The store here got 45 days return policy and i wont be able to use the card in that time period anyway, if the price on the non-ref cards are fine i will just return the other card.

BTW; We can also expect prices for Polaris and Pascal to further increase. Samsung wants to concentrate a bit more on NAND flash and wants to cut down GDDR production. They expect GDDR5 prices to go up by ~30%. Now I don't know how expansive they are in the first place, but we can expect at least a slight price bump for GPUs, again.

I've heard it amounts to couple dollars per chip

" Digitimes says memory prices for graphics cards jumped more than 30 percent in August. That translates into a $2 jump in the average price, which went from $6.50 in July to $8.50 in August, so we are not talking about astronomical increases here. Still, it adds up. For example, a GeForce GTX 1050 is equipped with four memory chips, a GeForce GTX 1060 has six memory chips, and higher end cards like the GeForce GTX 1070 use eight chips."

Ouch

Top Bottom