• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

J@hranimo

Banned
I got mine amongst good company! :)

DHHdnVUUAAA6LVP.jpg

Ape Escape :O

I need a PS4

Also the Sonic Mania icon is so cool, can't wait to have Classic Sonic staring at me happily when I turn the Switch on :D

usctrojan

To those that ordered the Collector's Edition like I did, here's an unboxing of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGfhRethk4

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting the Sonic statue/figure to be that large...

They should have gone smaller with more quality, imo. When they zoom and turned it a bit you could see seams on his arms, the ports on the genesis are painted in white and not even aligned perfectly etc... but for 50 bucks I guess it's a solid package.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think a LOT of people do not understand how this isn't a Sonic 4 situation (and also didn't read the OP because it breaks down the resume of the people behind this game and why they know their stuff)

It's gonna be a great game.

Arkeband

Banned
and if it isn't? Confirmation bias time or call a spade a spade?

Man, I remember the early reactions to Sonic 4. Never again.

The worst it can be is derivative to a fault, and not adding anything new or regressing too much from 3&K.

If it at least feels like 3&K then it's succeeded where the Sonic Team has failed for two decades.

Sonic 4 had many things going wrong with it, chief of which being that the physics were total dogshit.

Are...are people shitting on Sonic 06's soundtrack? Sorry folks the vocal and regular music are IMO a great fun and cohesive soundtrack. Seriously it's a killer album.

Its a common thing around here, anything sonic is cringe worthy apparently.(well mainly 3d sonic.)

I must admit when sonic mania was originally announced i wasnt to thrilled, but now im pretty excited for the release. I hope my switch code gets here before thursday.

Subscribed! Also, I just checked, my CE might coming in tomorrow(14th), I assume even if I enter the code, I'll still have to wait for Tuesday right? I'm asking because I have the PS4 version and don't know if it's time-locked unlike the Switch version.

jobrro

Just over 9 hours left until my copy from the AU PSN store unlocks.

Trying to avoid spoilers, haven't even seen too much of gameplay videos from E3 or the intro video from a few days ago. Can't wait to see some surprises.

So ready for this. Hope it does well and we get an new entry every couple years.

So this is basically a Saturn 2D Sonic, wouldn't hate to see a Dreamcast style 2D Sonic (with sprites) in a few years.

Griss

The last three Sonic games I bought:

Sonic Rush (2005)
Sonic Mega Collection (2003)
Sonic Advance (2001)

I've been waiting a LONG fucking time for a game like this. I'm sure there will be a lot of other lapsed fans lining up for a taste of that classic Sonic formula too.

Only bad thing is that I saw the OT was up and assumed it would be up on the eShop. Damn it! Something to look forward to tomorrow. This is the first Switch game where I think I'll play it in handheld mode.

weekev

Banned
I take it there haven't bee review codes? Interested to see how it scores (buying anyway). I predicted a pretty low score in the 12 games 12 scores but the more I see the more I think I'm wrong and we're gonna be looking at mid to high 80s. I just didn't trust Sega to make a good sonic game. I think, I hope I get as wrong and this could be the game I've been waiting for since Sonic 3 & knuckles. I want it to be true. Is it true?

Firecrest

On Saturday, I managed to secure an early Switch CE and have been torturing myself, anxiously trying to input the code each day since then. Sadly, Friday's 8chan streamer probably threw up a bunch of red flags causing Nintendo to jump on locking it.

Oh well, one more day now, weeeee.... I'm hyped as fuck for this labor of love.

I guess I'll play this bullshit until Forces comes out.

Kidding, I just wanted to raise some people's blood pressure. (Even though I'm equally excited for both Mania and Forces.) Can't wait!

I'm expecting a lot of drive by "Thank God for Sonic Mania" posts in the inevitable Forces |OT|

I'm also excited for both games

I asked this in the Mania Leaks thread, but anyone here holding out for the rumored physical release?

Nah, at this point it's pretty clear there won't be a physical release anytime soon, if ever.

Besides, the game's cheap enough/good enough to warrant a double dip if it actually does get a physical release down the line~

eastx

Does anyone know the exact controls for getting Tails to pick Sonic up in single-player? And once picked up, how do you make him rise instead of fall?

Daffy Duck

God I can't wait.

Sadly I am away on holiday until Thursday so won't get to play until then but I'm so excited.

An actual decent Sonic game (I've never played them fully since S3&K) everything since just hasn't been what I grew up on.

mebizzle

Ugh, cringe.
Defending Sonic 4 physics while calling everyone who complained about them virgins. Classy.
That's Jim Sterling in a nutshell for you. He's insufferable.

Really hoping the Switch version runs as well as the others, buying this day 1.

Does anyone know the exact controls for getting Tails to pick Sonic up in single-player?
If it's anything like Taxman's 1 and 2, hold up in mid air and press jump to make Tails start flying, then jump into his arms to grab on

And once picked up, how do you make him rise instead of fall?

Keep on pressing jump like you'd do to keep Tails up when playing by himself

Griss

Without spoiling the number of zone or any other features, how long are we expecting this game to take to beat? Two to three hours max? Will there any modes to increase replayability like a time attack or something?

Not that it matters - classic Sonic is enough. Just curious.

jobrro

Without spoiling the number of zone or any other features, how long are we expecting this game to take to beat? Two to three hours max? Will there any modes to increase replayability like a time attack or something?

Not that it matters - classic Sonic is enough. Just curious.

I have read it's supposed to be about the same as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Top Bottom