• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dauntless: Founders Alpha begins August 18th. NDA Drops.

Hagi

Free to play is definitely going to help this, should have a nice community if they keep up with updating the game with new monsters/armor/weapons on the regular.

Lurkers taking codes. :( And that's why you use email tags.

Yup. It sucks because obviously lurkers won't be posting about their experience with the game which I imagine is a big incentive to giving out codes like that. Thanks anyway Crash7800! I guess the codes going that quickly show that people are pretty interested in the game.

Kane1345

Fuck, lurkers took all the codes :( I was just watching streams of the game and really wanted to play. Sucks that lurkers took em all.

Thanks crash7800 for codes in the first place, appreciate it

Yea please dont waste any money on this game..... It is absolute garbage currently.

It would need to change drastically to even be a decent game, right now its just a mindlessly simple game.

idolminds

Neo Member
I was in the tech alpha and the launcher tells me to grab the updated launcher, but there is no link to download it on my account page. I'm guessing I'd have to buy a founder pack to play again?

Hagi

Not having played myself I guess I can't really argue with Hagi but I thought the impressions from GaijinHunter and Arekkz made it sound pretty good.

I've only been watching some streams and it seems like a more simplified version of MoHun. Interested in playing it when it hits f2p

I've only been watching some streams and it seems like a more simplified version of MoHun. Interested in playing it when it hits f2p

It feels like Dark Souls boss fights and control with MH progression. It is a bit limited at the moment because it is so early but it is fun. Weather the content can outpace the players as they burn through content enough for them to keep coming back remains to be seen. Hopefully by open beta it will be a more complete package.

Hagi

It feels like Dark Souls boss fights and control with MH progression. It is a bit limited at the moment because it is so early but it is fun. Weather the content can outpace the players as they burn through content enough for them to keep coming back remains to be seen. Hopefully by open beta it will be a more complete package.

I don't really get the Dark Souls thing because the bosses seem spongy as hell and at least early on are not a threat but that's just from watching not playing so maybe I'll get that feeling when I can get hands on.

It's very janky in its current state. I like the combat and all, but for a game that makes it really easy to queue up for a fight with a full party, it seems to focus too much on punishing the entire party rather than individuals. You could be perfect, never die, but so long as your teammates keep dying, eventually they'll hit the limit, and you'll get extracted regardless of individual performance.

The weapon types were also incredibly unbalanced. Everybody was just using those dual glaive weapons because of their attack speed and range. Nothing else could even compare to them.

The main hub was also surprisingly janky compared to the combat areas.

At this rate, MH:W is gonna be released on PC before this gets even remotely stable.

i played during the CB and the game definitely needs a lot of polish obviously. It was hard to continue playing each beta though since you'd always start from scratch and have to fight the same progression over and over. I wasn't a fan of the combat system mainly because of how slow some of the weapons (pretty much the axe) compared to how often the bosses attack or how they move. Also server lag was an obvious issue. The biggest thing though was the game ran fine during the missions but terrible in town. Partying up with friends were hit and miss and idk if the final iteration of the alpha fixed it. Also no real controller support was a let down. Overall I wasnt a big fan of it but that could change when release comes

I was in the tech alpha and the launcher tells me to grab the updated launcher, but there is no link to download it on my account page. I'm guessing I'd have to buy a founder pack to play again?

Yup, you should of got an email with a code for a "Thanks for playing in the alpha" Flare, and at the end the email "If you wanna keep playing buy a founders pack".

And yea i dont think garbage is harsh in this case c:
Its kinda like they've put small MH enemies with Dragon Age: Inquisition combat. You've got a few combos aswell (2-3 for each weapon) but its mostly press X button for cool move.
And the cools moves never feel good to use, playing the game just feels like a chore.

I don't really get the Dark Souls thing because the bosses seem spongy as hell and at least early on are not a threat but that's just from watching not playing so maybe I'll get that feeling when I can get hands on.
Two attack buttons, one jump and one roll. I have played souls, MH Tri and This game I would say the game feels more like dark souls but obviously it has MH style boos fights with ton of hp and no health bar.

Founder Alpha this late to the year so... Q4 2018 for 1.0, maybe?

1.0 is doubtful but open beta later this year is the goal.

If anyone has any extra keys they're willing to spare I will love you forever! Really wanna try the game but hesitant on purchasing a pack right away.

kauec

Neo Member
I'm so interested in playing it, but I can't afford it right now. Is there any giveaway running? (Sorry if this is considered begging.)

By the way, I'm pretty sure that even if you got the extra key that came with the third tier edition, you wouldn't be able to start playing until next month when the beta's supposed to begin.

Probably should point out somewhere in the first post that there's no point in begging for keys right now.

Also no real controller support was a let down.
Dunno what the last alpha you played was, but it's almost entirely playable with a controller (I think there were a couple menus you couldn't navigate with a controller the last time I played).

Anyone wanna give/sell me one of those alpha flare codes?
Also, I didn't know I'd have to download even more before playing lol.

idolminds

Neo Member
Thanks guys, I see that now. Though I read "Continue playing Dauntless in the Founder's Alpha." and thought "Cool, I get grandfathered in" rather than "Pay up, bucko." Ah well, it's too early for me to be spending that kind of money but I'll check it out when its opened up again.

Wait, is there even a reason to play this right now? When are they gonna stop wiping progress? Beta? 1.0?

Annoying enough as it is that my progress didn't carry over from the last alpha, considering nothing's changed as far as I can tell.

Yushi

Big fan of MH so, from watching the stream I know i will enjoy this. I know i will already paid for the founder packs, glad to help them out in the progress.

Sure it's a "bit" shitty to have limited armor set and monster, but I'll be happy to jump back into this down a few month / begin

The core of the game looks good.

Syril

I didn't get much of a chance to play the tech alphas, but the weapons all seemed to handle pretty well. The real problem I was having was that the behemoths would only rarely get staggered, so it was hard to gauge my effectiveness during an actual fight. A lot of times I would be surprised when they suddenly dropped dead because I never got a sense that they were nearing death.

If anyone played early tech alphas the game has changed a lot since then. They have made a lot of progress these last few patches. It's still early but it's more more stable and enjoyable than it was even a few weeks ago.

If anyone played early tech alphas the game has changed a lot since then. They have made a lot of progress these last few patches. It's still early but it's more more stable and enjoyable than it was even a few weeks ago.
But still no word on when they'll stop wiping? Because I don't really want to play if my progress is just gonna be wiped.

Seems like all the streamers I follow are playing this today... which always kind of rubs me the wrong way in the first place.

And while it's an alpha/early access type thing - actually watching it be played, it seems super boring. I think my biggest complaint is that it's impossible to tell how well you are doing in combat. There are a thousand attacks going off and the monster is just moving through it's attack animations without any visible feedback that it's being hit... let alone if it's taking a lot of damage.

Even a simple health bar for the monsters would help in that regard.
It's trying to be a Monster Hunter clone. It's not gonna get health bars.

Also, how do streamers playing the game rub you the wrong way?

Seems like all the streamers I follow are playing this today... which always kind of rubs me the wrong way in the first place.

And while it's an alpha/early access type thing - actually watching it be played, it seems super boring. I think my biggest complaint is that it's impossible to tell how well you are doing in combat. There are a thousand attacks going off and the monster is just moving through it's attack animations without any visible feedback that it's being hit... let alone if it's taking a lot of damage.

Even a simple health bar for the monsters would help in that regard.

Gala

It's much different than you think. I remember treating it like a charge weapon at E3 and was surprised it shot out projectiles.

Can you say something about how the attacks feel with the hammer compared to Monster Hunter?

Syril

Can you say something about how the attacks feel with the hammer compared to Monster Hunter?

The Dauntless hammer is nothing like the Monster Hunter hammer. If anything the fire blasts call back to the gunlance, complete with a full burst for doing it at the end of a combo. None of the weapons really have the same feel as the MH hammer. The closest I can think of is the greataxe, which has a charge attack you have to stand still for like the greatsword and a charge attack you can move during that drains stamina like the MH hammer.

Gala

The Dauntless hammer is nothing like the Monster Hunter hammer. If anything the fire blasts call back to the gunlance, complete with a full burst for doing it at the end of a combo. None of the weapons really have the same feel as the MH hammer. The closest I can think of is the greataxe, which has a charge attack you have to stand still for like the greatsword and a charge attack you can move during that drains stamina like the MH hammer.

I see! Thanks for the impressions.

It's trying to be a Monster Hunter clone. It's not gonna get health bars.

Also, how do streamers playing the game rub you the wrong way?

Fair enough - I'm unfamiliar with Monster Hunter so I was unaware it was a genre thing. That being said, is there some kind of feedback in MH in regards to combat? Or is it similar to what I am seeing in Dauntless - which looks very weightless since the monster isn't reacting at all to the attacks.

As for the streamer thing - it's a matter of variety. If the game isn't appealing to me, and everyone I enjoy watching is streaming it, then I'm basically not watching anything on Twitch that day. When everyone is playing something different I can usually jump around channels till I find something interesting.

It's also kind of gross to me when in cases like this, where I'd imagine most the streamers were comped a copy as a marketing move, means that the streamers are all HYPE 100% time. Very little of the candor or commentary I tune into a streamer for - instead I get lots of OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS GAME.

/shrug

But it's kind of obvious this game isn't for me, so I'll stop clogging up the thread.

Top Bottom