• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

Nimajneb

Windows games on Steam: 1858
Linux Games on Steam: 38

Even if Valve can convince developers to release all their new games on Linux, the lack of compatibility of the existing library is a huge problem. The best part of Steam is buying great old games for next to nothing during the sales.

MutFox

Banned
I can easily see if you already own the game on Steam, you'll own it on their console. (Porting their entire library will take some time...)
If they stick with Linux + x86/x64 hardware, future backwards compatibility won't be an issue.

Though I'm not sure how they could market it to the average gamer.
Even console people on this forum seem ignorant on how good Steam is compared to consoles.

Valve now takes something like 30% cut from sold games. What if they would reduce this cut to something like 25-28% if your game is Steambox certified (full controller support, linux version, Steambox optimized -graphical settings). That should more or less cover the expenses of implementing these changes to devs. And while Valve would lose some money short term getting a slice of piece that is the console market could turn out most profitable.

There will always be people who despise PC gaming and Valve would love to offer them some Steam love nevertheless.

That 30% is standard for pretty much all dd stores. Apple, amazon, Google all also take 30% cut from things in their app stores.

Karak

I know most people would rather have linux for the obvious reasons but I would rather it be something compatible with all my current Steam games and library. That move would be easier for me to swallow. I am assuming if you buy a title on normal steam than if the linux steambox version is also available its just free. Which is cool I guess. Currently, with all the caveats company wise and system wise I could see this as something fun to mess around with but I would still use steam on my tv piped through my windows machine instead of buying it.

Krowley

I'm thinking this won't be anything like a linux PC you hook to your TV. It will be more like a linux kernel with a console front end built on top, and connected to steam. Not a real open linux system that you can use any way you want, but a dedicated game machine, that only plays games and apps bought through the steam service. A closed environment. And there will be some easy way to port windows based steam games to work with it. They'll be working on that in a big way.

And I bet they've come up with some sort of couch-based alternative to mouse and keyboard that's super easy to use and really convenient.

If they're launching hardware, that means they're in with both feet, which means they will be creating time-limited exclusives for it. They need it to sell really big in the beginning, so it will have some sort of exclusive killer app. If they aren't creating exclusives for it, then it will be a total dud.

Cipherr

The Big 4, huh. Awesome.

Or maybe itll only be 3....
obamahmmw.png

JoseJX

For what it's worth, as a gamer living in the Linux ghetto, (I run Windows games in Wine, it works, but it's usually not optimal) there has been a huge movement towards Linux compatibility over the past year. In the past year, we've had:

1. Humble Bundles pushing developers for Linux compatible versions
2. Lots of game engines gaining support for Linux: Unity 4, Unreal Engine 3, CryEngine 3, Source and others
3. High Profile Kickstarters with Linux support: Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Start Citizen, etc.
4. Steam on Linux

To be honest, things are moving fast in the right direction for something like this to happen!

DarkFlow

Banned
How so?

People need to think of this more as a console gaming platform instead of 'b...b...but wheres my entire back catalogue'.
But it's not a console, it's playing pc games. If its Linux then 90% of the games on steam won't run on there atm. Then you have the video card driver support issue, AMD and nivida are not big on driver support for Linux.

angelfly

Windows games on Steam: 1858
Linux Games on Steam: 38

Even if Valve can convince developers to release all their new games on Linux, the lack of compatibility of the existing library is a huge problem. The best part of Steam is buying great old games for next to nothing during the sales.

The library available now doesn't really matter for them. Yes, it's negative point for people that already own lots of stuff on steam but they aren't the target audience. When it launches it's sure to have many more games available and more going forward. If it doesn't then we can start calling it a failure. It all depends on how much momentum it can keep post launch. If developers and publishers notice they'll make their games available on it since by porting a game to SteamBox you'll also be marketing it to desktop Linux users at the same time.

Oh god, there aren't supported games on a platform where the client is in beta and the hardware doesn't even have any concrete details. What on earth shall we do?!

This inane nonsense would get laughed out of the room for any other subject on NeoGAF, but say the word "Linux" and suddenly everybody starts frothing at the mouth about perceived weaknesses of a platform that less than half of the people around here have actually used.

It's like everybody's intelligence just jumped out the window because LINUX OMG LOL or LINUX OMG PROBLEMS D:

Sendou

But it's not a console, it's playing pc games. If its Linux then 90% of the games on steam won't run on there atm. Then you have the video card driver support issue, AMD and nivida are not big on driver support for Linux.

Hasn't it got better since this:

linus,W-5-342005-13.png

You launch the thing with Half life 3, it's the only way it works. Make all your IP's Steambox exclusive, I don't see this working any other way. What's going to be enticing otherwise?

LoL destroys everything. Over 3m people playing at any given time of the day during the summer months.

YEAH BUT ITS NO ZELDA

EDIT:
This inane nonsense would get laughed out of the room for any other subject on NeoGAF, but say the word "Linux" and suddenly everybody starts frothing at the mouth about perceived weaknesses of a platform that less than half of the people around here have actually used.

It's like everybody's intelligence just jumped out the window because LINUX OMG LOL or LINUX OMG PROBLEMS D:

You need to Get The Facts™

beast786

Won't but if just steambox.

needs to give me something more than just steam library for me to buy it. I already have steam.

Not sure I'm grasping why this needs to exist. If it were a box that could also be your new computer or something, but all one neat affordable package, I'd understand it SORT OF, but even then I'm pushing it. As it stands now, I'm not grasping what it will offer. To me it sounds like a console competitor that will offer less than the other competitors, and that's making the giant assumption that it gains any significant traction at all.

JoseJX

Valve has been working with Intel, AMD and Nvidia to improve Linux drivers as part of the Steam for Linux development. It's been going well.

obonicus

Again, how do we know this is a piece of hardware that will actually run games, and not do something more clever and less risky?

My god, I've got a headache.

Whenever I think of low level programming I just think that the people that can do it are able to make programs just by typing 0 and 1 a bunch of times.

Luckily they don't have to do it in 1's and 0's. That would be absurd. Most low level and system programming is done in C and Assembly. Mostly C iirc which is low level enough where you can get the most power out of it while still being relatively easy to program in. Especially in a Unix environment.

That said, they do have some extremely great talent either way.

DieH@rd

Banned
Those secret peripherals could play an important role in the popularization of Steambox. Who knows, maybe they will make great push for VR/AR, or some new way of interacting with the game world [motion].

lefantome

I am typing from my TV right now from my TV, I also do most of my PC gaming using a 360 gamepad on my couch.(or Blutooth KB&M)

My point is, this box wont have your PC games and your steam library. So it does not make sense for you.'

Assuming this is a brand new console, starting from scratch with no BC, it will have a rough time IMO. No reason for console only gamers to switch, no reason for PC users to switch, no reason for PC/Console gamers like my self to bat an eye.

What why?

Some games i have are already available on steam linux. I won't los the game i own, but alla the game i will buy will be available on both steambox and windows, isn't great?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
It's going to be rough at first, but I fully support the transition to Linux for gaming. I could see me getting this.

Why doesn't anyone talk about the big business challenge here: who will make it? Who will distribute it?

We don't care if VALVe is 300 guys, as long as they have a publishing partner in every country they can make it to retail. Same for production, they just need a partner with a few factories in Asia. And done.

But, who might those guys be?

For their games, VALVe used to go through EA as a publishing partner, who are the lucky guys here?

If there is one place on the web that can find them, it's probably neogaf, so let's do it and buy their stocks like crazy before E3 :)

Not sure I'm grasping why this needs to exist. If it were a box that could also be your new computer or something, but all one neat affordable package, I'd understand it SORT OF, but even then I'm pushing it. As it stands now, I'm not grasping what it will offer. To me it sounds like a console competitor that will offer less than the other competitors, and that's making the giant assumption that it gains any significant traction at all.

Because it gives a possible standard hardware target, which the PC doesn't have. If it does pick up things, Valve can use it to push PC hardware forward instead of waiting for the consoles in case they begin to stagnate.

It also pushes Linux, which we've seen that Valve likes and wants. It makes perfect sense.

zoku88

I'm not sure why people would have expected this to run Windows. For a dedicated gaming machine, Windows is kind of overkill (too heavy.)

They could have used Embedded Compact, I guess, but I don't think desktop Windows games are compatible with that? (I'm not too sure.)

I'm not sure why you would even want that, though. If you wanted something to play PC games and connect to your TV, you could build/buy a small form factor desktop and connect it to your TV :-/

Anyway, given that the next-gen consoles might not have backwards compatibility anyways, I don't see how the situation is that different from the competitors. Though, I would expect an at least somewhat competent game distribution model...

Why doesn't anyone talk about the big business challenge here: who will make it? Who will distribute it?

I'd imagine Valves contribution will be the SteamOS and reference hardware that supports it.
Then let the Dells / HPs / Acers of the world go wild building them with the Steambox™ logo.

Google shook shit up with Android, but didn't actually build a thing themselves.

A lot of core gamers will want this. Valve pulls huge love from a lot of gamers out there, and a lot of console players hate the complexities of a computer.

Yep, I would not be interested in a gaming PC, but this sounds very interesting (although I doubt all the big publishers would be interested in supporting it, most "big" indie titles will likely do so).

So which PC exclusive IP's are on par with Mario, Zelda and Pokémon in terms of critical acclaim and commercial success?

I mean, World of Warcraft....arguably? Maybe? Probably not?

and then...?

Zelda doesn't belong in that company anymore, it doesn't sell anywhere near enough.

i guess you work at an elementary school or something.

how's the latest mario doing, anyway?

It's been out for a month, & as Mario is one of the few franchises that doesn't need to drop prices to have a long tail, any talk about it's sales are ludicrously premature.

Because it gives a possible standard hardware target, which the PC doesn't have. If it does pick up things, Valve can use it to push PC hardware forward instead of waiting for the consoles in case they begin to stagnate.

It also pushes Linux, which we've seen that Valve likes and wants. It makes perfect sense.
why would developers have to adhere to a target for their PC games. I thought the whole point of PC games was to reach as many people as possible by offering a variety of options so high end get what they want and middle end get to play too, and low end as well in some cases.

And you're also making the big assumption that this gains traction, when all I'm saying is I have no idea why it ever would because I have no idea why anyone would ever buy this. That's what I'm not getting. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why a consumer would purchase this. Offers less than the console competitors, so most gamers won't buy it. Can't be used as a PC as well, so those looking for a computer won't buy it. Seems like a lot of investment to make to attract an incredible niche. Product of too much time and money on your hands maybe, and Valve wants to experiment.

You're saying what it COULD POSSIBLY DO MAYBE HOPEFULLY PLZ. I'm saying realistically, it wont do any of that :p

TrutaS

So now when you buy games you can play them on Windows, OSx, Linux and Steambox(linux-based). Yep Steam is gonna be even bigger in the future.

Sentenza

I'm not saying there is none, but if you're expecting the same kind of support windows gets, you're dreaming.
I'm expecting drivers that don't get in the way of hardware capabilities, and that's pretty much all it's needed.
I'm not sure what you are thinking about, on the other hand.

I'd imagine Valves contribution will be the SteamOS and reference hardware that supports it.
Then let the Dells / HPs / Acers of the world go wild building them with the Steambox™ logo.

Google shook shit up with Android, but didn't actually build a thing themselves.

That's exactly my first thought, but then I thought how hard/impossible it was for SONY to sell the PSP Go - because retail knew they would not make any additional $ on games afterward.
Imagine how hard it will be to distibute those boxes? Especially if you are NOT Sony and does not have +250M playstations sold...
If I was VALVe I would not let that critical part of the business to partner just crossing my fingers...
I'd choose a key one and I would chose him as much for it's hardware building history as for it's distribution network.

Like Google did with MOTOROLA or the NEXUS brand.

Just my 2 cents :)

I'm expecting drivers that don't get in the way of hardware capabilities, and that's pretty much all it's needed.

Are they going to pay AMD and nVidia to make half decent Linux drivers? They both have a hard enough time with Windows drivers, and last I heard both were incredibly far behind the curve in Linux support.

I don't see it happening with what's going to be a niche product.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well when you look at driver support on windows, they are releasing them every few months. AAA game A has a issue with a driver, they then release a beta to fix said problem and increase performance. I don't see that happening with Linux. You might have a driver that makes your game run like shit, and your stuck with it for months.

Top Bottom