• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

VicViper

Hate changing my backlight to 20 every time I play an HDR game. Thinking of playing in movie mode all the time now.

Is this issue fixed in later models such as the KS9000 or Samsung's 2017 lineup?

It's really the only major annoyance with this set and with more games supporting HDR, it's increasingly bothersome.

Spitz

Is this issue fixed in later models such as the KS9000 or Samsung's 2017 lineup?

It's really the only major annoyance with this set and with more games supporting HDR, it's increasingly bothersome.

I have an KS9590 and it is the same ant it annoys me.

Blizzje

Try a different input, then definitely try a different cable. Just try another one you have first before you go buy a different one.

I had bought 2 of the Amazon basics cables and the first one caused the black screen. Second one? Not. Once.

Thanks. I've ordered a new cable because both the cable that came with the pro as well as a different cable give me black screens.
I'm using HDMI 3 right now, what HDMI are you using?

I'm also getting a KS8000 replacement friday, but that is because of this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiaopWHNSnQ
Also, could you link me to the cables you are using? May have to grab them if my bought ones end up not working.

philm87

Hate changing my backlight to 20 every time I play an HDR game. Thinking of playing in movie mode all the time now.

You'll probably get firmware issues whatever TV you get, and particularly HDR because it's so new. My brother's got a Sony and the firmware is terrible on there, and there's a clear drop in the quality when using Game mode. With this TV you don't get a noticeable drop in quality with game mode plus you have HDR with low input lag.

Hopefully it's something they'll fix soon, it's not just game mode, it's any of the 'Special Viewing Modes' that don't save settings for HDR.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue to live with unless your switching between games every 5 minutes though.

HooYaH

Thanks. I've ordered a new cable because both the cable that came with the pro as well as a different cable give me black screens.

I'm also getting a KS8000 replacement friday, but that is because of this issue:
Also, could you link me to the cables you are using? May have to grab them if my bought ones end up not working.

Just get Monoprice certified premium HDMI cables if under 25ft. If anything greater, get HDMI fiber SlimAV HDR which is quadruple the price but it pretty much works. Don't bother with Amazon branded cables.

Blizzje

Just get Monoprice certified premium HDMI cables if under 25ft. If anything greater, get HDMI fiber SlimAV HDR which is quadruple the price but it pretty much works. Don't bother with Amazon branded cables.

$150?

I'm sorry but that is more than I'm willing to spend on cables. Do I really need this to eliminate black screens? I've never had black screens with my older tv's and hardware like PS3/X360 and Sony HX929. I 'upgrade' to a KS8000 with a ps4 pro and all of a sudden this is an issue.

One would THINK that the ps4 pro supplied cable would be good enough to warrant no black screens.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Have a KS9000 so nope. Honestly it's my number 1 issue with this TV right now.

You'll probably get firmware issues whatever TV you get, and particularly HDR because it's so new. My brother's got a Sony and the firmware is terrible on there, and there's a clear drop in the quality when using Game mode. With this TV you don't get a noticeable drop in quality with game mode plus you have HDR with low input lag.

Hopefully it's something they'll fix soon, it's not just game mode, it's any of the 'Special Viewing Modes' that don't save settings for HDR.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue to live with unless your switching between games every 5 minutes though.
Yes, the game mode is incredible but I'm playing a bunch of HDR and non-HDR games right now so it's very bothersome to go to the settings every time. Movie mode is actually pretty decent as far as input lag is concerned so I don't mind sticking to it for a while.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I too posted about this a while back. I wasn't happy either. That was until I saw a friend's LG OLED B6 which produced the same artefacts. Then I hooked up my old TV which again produces the same results. This TV is so damn good that it highlights the issue more then my previous TV.
What you are seeing is normal for today's technology.
HDMI 2.1 I believe fixes this issue. But that will be included is the next generation of Tv's.
60fps games do not produce the flickering your seeing.

This is incredible! I could be seeing this right now on my 4 year old TV and not even notice it.

HooYaH

$150?

I'm sorry but that is more than I'm willing to spend on cables. Do I really need this to eliminate black screens? I've never had black screens with my older tv's and hardware like PS3/X360 and Sony HX929. I 'upgrade' to a KS8000 with a ps4 pro and all of a sudden this is an issue.

One would THINK that the ps4 pro supplied cable would be good enough to warrant no black screens.

Have you tested if you get black screens just setting to YUV420?

You only need to buy the $150 only if you need a cable that is 25 ft or longer. The current HDMI copper cables today just can't push the RGB444/YUV422 bandwidth from that distance unless you go fiber (YUV420 is fine with Copper HDMI from what I tested). I've tried since my setup needs more than 30ft and it works.

The certified premium is only $15 for 20ft.

Let's just hope HDMI 2.1 is backward compatible with older cables.

Poppyseed

The input lag to me is astronomically bad outside of Game mode, but to each his own. I just deal with the having to switch the backlight etc when playing an HDR game. Thankfully I've spread devices across different inputs which makes life a little easier in this regard.

Quick question as I've yet to figure this out and I think placebo effect might be in play...

If I set a an input to HDMI UHD Color so I can play PS4 in HDR, can I leave it on that for other non-HD or non-HDR sources or do I have to keep switching it off? All of my devices go through my receiver. Is there any impact to picture if I keep this setting permanently on?

King_Moc

Banned
Quick question as I've yet to figure this out and I think placebo effect might be in play...

If I set a an input to HDMI UHD Color so I can play PS4 in HDR, can I leave it on that for other non-HD or non-HDR sources or do I have to keep switching it off? All of my devices go through my receiver. Is there any impact to picture if I keep this setting permanently on?

Just leave it on. If the source isn't HDR, there'll be no difference. If the source is HDR it'll give you the HDR image.

VicViper

The input lag to me is astronomically bad outside of Game mode, but to each his own. I just deal with the having to switch the backlight etc when playing an HDR game. Thankfully I've spread devices across different inputs which makes life a little easier in this regard.

One of these days I will set up a macro/button sequence for my Logitech Harmony to ramp up backlight to 20 and down to my regular setting for non-HDR content in game mode without going through the menu each time.

I'm willing to bet this will never be fixed due to a terrible oversight in their UI/menu design, not a technical restriction per se. If the TV is able to detect a HDR signal in game mode, why not auto-adjust brightness to the max by a hardcoded default? Surely this is something they can just patch into the firmware if they're unable to provide for two different sets like they can outside game mode. Boggles the mind, really.

One of these days I will set up a macro/button sequence for my Logitech Harmony to ramp up backlight to 20 and down to my regular setting for non-HDR content in game mode without going through the menu each time.

I'm willing to bet this will never be fixed due to a terrible oversight in their UI/menu design, not a technical restriction per se. If the TV is able to detect a HDR signal in game mode, why not auto-adjust brightness to the max by a hardcoded default? Surely this is something they can just patch into the firmware if they're unable to provide for two different sets like they can outside game mode. Boggles the mind, really.

Hmm I never thought about that, I have a harmony remote...is this something thats actually possible with it?

VicViper

Hmm I never thought about that, I have a harmony remote...is this something thats actually possible with it?

Haven't tried it myself yet but 'sequences' should allow you to assign a chain of commands to a select button on the remote. Not sure if it works like a on/off switch though.

chaosaeon

What are the odds if I posted to them on a forum or something that they could add auto motion and digital clean view to Game Mode so they wouldn't be greyed out ? I don't even care if it introduces input lag it'd be nice to have the option at least.

ss_lemonade

So I'm just curious, but how are any of you okay with using Game Mode on this set ? At least on mine, Game Mode has really irritating flicker/strobing on things when you rotate the camera in most games. If I stand in the open or in the woods in Horizon for example and rotate the camera, all the branches on trees or blades of grass have like a micro flicker where the edges of the objects appear to rapidly jitter as the camera pans.

Just rotating the camera basically destroys the IQ in almost every game. I switched to movie mode and using some of the motion settings it's fixed. But I can't seem to make my settings in movie mode look as good as my game mode settings because the set won't get as bright in that mode (even when copying the same settings). Does no one else notice or have that issue ?
I don't experience this, but I also have a ks9000 so maybe there's a difference in how both handles motion? All I know is that the ks8000 can do BFI while the ks9000 can't

vpance

What are the odds if I posted to them on a forum or something that they could add auto motion and digital clean view to Game Mode so they wouldn't be greyed out ? I don't even care if it introduces input lag it'd be nice to have the option at least.

What would be the difference? Just don't use game mode if you really want auto motion.

chaosaeon

What would be the difference? Just don't use game mode if you really want auto motion.

Oddly enough the difference is in this weird little detail I'm noticing. It's like game mode has a certain depth to the picture that looks flat in movie mode. The picture is more "alive" for lack of a better explanation. Even putting in the exact same settings for everything, the two modes don't seem to look the same. Which is ironic because it even says enabling game mode may lead to a decrease in image quality.

vpance

Oddly enough the difference is in this weird little detail I'm noticing. It's like game mode has a certain depth to the picture that looks flat in movie mode. The picture is more "alive" for lack of a better explanation. Even putting in the exact same settings for everything, the two modes don't seem to look the same. Which is ironic because it even says enabling game mode may lead to a decrease in image quality.

I think movie mode is gimped in brightness for all KS. At least that's how it is on mine. Either use standard or better yet activate Cal Night/Day in the service menu. It's like movie mode except brighter.

Yoday

Have a KS9000 so nope. Honestly it's my number 1 issue with this TV right now.

Yes, the game mode is incredible but I'm playing a bunch of HDR and non-HDR games right now so it's very bothersome to go to the settings every time. Movie mode is actually pretty decent as far as input lag is concerned so I don't mind sticking to it for a while.
Honestly, I just leave the backlight at 20 for everything. My living room is always well lit, so it's not a huge deal.

It's like game mode has a certain depth to the picture that looks flat in movie mode. The picture is more "alive" for lack of a better explanation. Even putting in the exact same settings for everything, the two modes don't seem to look the same.

Can you actually try to describe what the difference is? "depth" and "alive" don't mean much, technically speaking, and it's hard to offer advice since I don't know what you are really referring to. Is it the overall screen brightness (Backlight)? The light levels in dark areas of the screen (brightness)? Is it the vividness of the colors? The contrast?

On my set movie mode and game mode look very close to each other, but I'm generally aiming for an accurate picture with an 6-8 backlight setting. Some people like a more artificial, vivid "punchy" look with high backlight settings. There's nothing wrong with that but movie mode wasn't made for that. Each mode has it's own settings, and simply matching the values in the TV's menus won't make them look the same. However, if you know what settings to adjust you can make the modes look very similar but the values will be different. Have you tried Standard mode instead? It sounds like Movie is not a good fit for your preferences.

Gowans

My TV is here (65" KS8000) and I've added my third xbox to the house with an S for the 4K Blu Rays.

Just going to set it all up now, after work, excited.

Gowans

Followed the DF foundry video setup but think something is off.

The xbox looks very dark and threw on Forza Horizon 3 to check out the HDR but it doesn't seem right either? Hmm... it looks dim.

Something I need to do on the video settings on the Xbox one s? Should it not be in full bit mode?

The xbox looks very dark and threw on Forza Horizon 3 to check out the HDR but it doesn't seem right either? Hmm... it looks dim.

When Forza Horizon started playing in HDR did you get the message across the top of the screen? If it was in Game Mode, did you go in and increase the backlight to 20? In game mode you'll need to do that for any HDR game and then decrease it afterwards. In Movie mode the backlight should adjust to 20 automatically.

If HDR seems dim even after backlight at 20 then turn on Gamma +1 and Dynamic Contrast to Low.

I don't recall all the Xbox settings from Memory. When you click on Advanced Video Settings on the Xbox is "Allow HDR" checked?

VicViper

Something I need to do on the video settings on the Xbox one s? Should it not be in full bit mode?

If you are using game mode, make sure to manually crank up backlight to 20 for HDR content. FH3 looks amazing on my Xbox One S.

Gowans

When Forza Horizon started playing in HDR did you get the message across the top of the screen? If it was in Game Mode, did you go in and increase the backlight to 20? In game mode you'll need to do that for any HDR game and then decrease it afterwards. In Movie mode the backlight should adjust to 20 automatically.

If HDR seems dim even after backlight at 20 then turn on Gamma +1 and Dynamic Contrast to Low.

I don't recall all the Xbox settings from Memory. When you click on Advanced Video Settings on the Xbox is "Allow HDR" checked?

If you are using game mode, make sure to manually crank up backlight to 20 for HDR content. FH3 looks amazing on my Xbox One S.

Yeah I ended up making a thread with screen shots

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1371900

Gave up for tonight tho :(

phen0m24

Apologies I haven't checked the thread in a couple days. I picked up the Amazon Basic cables for $7 each. I got a pack of 2! (Not sure if linking to them is ok but they are the first ones you see on amazon under hdmi cables)

First one I got the issue, second one nope!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The apps are actually so crappy though. Yesterday I was trying to start Netflix and it's just black screen - nothing else.

Hold down the power button until you see the TV logo in the middle of the screen. It's a hard reset and apps are fixed after that happens.

I have to use it all the time :(

chaosaeon

Can you actually try to describe what the difference is? "depth" and "alive" don't mean much, technically speaking, and it's hard to offer advice since I don't know what you are really referring to. Is it the overall screen brightness (Backlight)? The light levels in dark areas of the screen (brightness)? Is it the vividness of the colors? The contrast?

It's almost like a separation and blending I'm seeing from some colors as though they're "in front of" other things on the screen, or coming out towards you. It's a little bit vividness of color contrast and brightness all at once and little bit of emphasis on the small parts of certain colors. For example, I've been experimenting with settings in Horizon and using Standard Mode for the past couple days. In color space settings, if I lower the blue value of red, it pops more, but go too low and it's unnaturally vivid right ?

If I lower the blue value of red to one of a couple specific numbers, but then raise the blue value of yellow just enough to not make yellows muted, the yellows and reds sort of blend really nicely and the main character's hair in the game looks like it has more depth to it. Almost like a pleasant gradient that gives off an illusion that it's coming out from the other things around it. If you have Horizon you could test that example too but it might work with all colors.

I'm sure the numbers I've been settling on are nothing like professionally calibrated settings, but I tried those calibrated settings posted here a few pages back and what I'm seeing now is honestly looking better. I might have to take some offscreen pics of those calibrated settings posted and then what I'm experimenting with now. But it's definitely interesting to mess around with.

Either use standard or better yet activate Cal Night/Day in the service menu. It's like movie mode except brighter.
Oh ? What's this and how do I try it ?

Belker

It's almost like a separation and blending I'm seeing from some colors as though they're "in front of" other things on the screen, or coming out towards you. It's a little bit vividness of color contrast and brightness all at once and little bit of emphasis on the small parts of certain colors. For example, I've been experimenting with settings in Horizon and using Standard Mode for the past couple days. In color space settings, if I lower the blue value of red, it pops more, but go too low and it's unnaturally vivid right ?

SOmeone on here - I think was Zoidberg - pointed me to chromatic aberration when I noticed some odd things in Wildlands and I thought it might be RB separation.

Might it be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eUqeT-_4Y

chaosaeon

SOmeone on here - I think was Zoidberg - pointed me to chromatic aberration when I noticed some odd things in Wildlands and I thought it might be RB separation.

Might it be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eUqeT-_4Y

Ohh no no lol. I know what CA is and it bothers my eyes. I'm not having a problem at all. All the things I'm talking about appear to be good things. I'm talking about a sort of perceived depth that seemed to come from colors standing out against everything else but without being overly vivid. It's very difficult to put into words but maybe someone can check what I was writing about and see if they see the same thing.

Yoday

I find that using movie mode causes certain HDR sources to he incredibly dim. Any other mode has been perfectly fine for me.

i use KS8000 with my PC(GTX1060 6GB) and found it lost a lot of color when i open the HDR in mass effect andromeda,what happened?

Why do the 2016 Samsung TV models need to wait for HDR10+ update in the second half of this year (which may mean even the end of this year).
Do the QLED TVs, which have this feature by default use it right now and we can see dynamic metadata HDR content or do we need to wait for an update too or some content?

mckmas8808

Why do the 2016 Samsung TV models need to wait for HDR10+ update in the second half of this year (which may mean even the end of this year).
Do the QLED TVs, which have this feature by default use it right now and we can see dynamic metadata HDR content or do we need to wait for an update too or some content?

This is question I think about the most.

philm87

At the moment there's no content scheduled until towards the end of the year, Amazon are the only ones who have signed up at the moment.

I find that using movie mode causes certain HDR sources to he incredibly dim. Any other mode has been perfectly fine for me.
I was watching Samurai Gourmet on Netflix, and during a bright scene, the tv would auto dim from cut to cut.

I double checked my eco-settings and changed my subtitles to semi-transparent like it was recommended a few posts back, but there's certainly something screwy and annoying that can trigger.

Also that show has a budget of $20 but is still filmed in her somehow. It's actually kind of neat.

mckmas8808

Good news, i got the hdr isf calibration for the set. B_rad4 over at avs was kind enough to share his settings with me a couple days ago. The main difference between these correct hdr settings vs the modification i was using is color gamut. The hdr mode is displaying in bt 2020 vs rec 709 sdr was probably calibrated for, the colors certainly look more vivid in hdr now. Here are the settings:

Now he did mention that the hdr calibration isn't perfectly dialed in as the sdr settings but that is understandable considering hdr calibration is still in its infancy and a major pain. The hdr looks absolutely amazing now with the correct color saturation. Recently i have been using movie mode for both sdr/hdr gaming, i don't really notice the input lag that much and it allows me to enable blur reduction to reduce the motion blur in scenes.

Here are my hdr settings using the above as the base for color and white balance:

The modification made the blacks look better on my set, also the overall picture looks brighter now which really helps movie mode not look as dim. If you want some reference material to test the new settings here are a couple of examples:

SDR:
Video 1
Video 2 Death Stranding 4k teaser (loaded with micro detail).

HDR:
Video
I might post my modified movie sdr settings later today.

Hey what a cool coincidence you are also on neogaf. Thanks for the settings again, they look spectacular!

Needed these settings for when I get my KS8500 in a few weeks.

Hey I know this is the gaming topic but I'm not sure where else this could be helped with. My Netflix, Plex, Stan, YouTube and PS4/PS3 / wii u and Xbox one all work on 1080, 4k, streaming, hd Bly ray, gaming etc. PS4 pro works a charm too. Netflix and YouTube 4k streaming too.

I've watched season one and a couple episodes of season 2 of man in the high castle on the amazon app on my ks8000. It was playing this perfectly up until this week or so (I watched season 1 and a couple of 2 a month or so ago, picked it up again this week) and it's just so stuttery or choppy. As if every 5-10 seconds it pauses or stutters video (audio stays fine) and then hits back. It's not a bandwidth issue as no other streaming app has this issue and it's streaming at 4k the entire time ://// so frustrating. It isn't choppy like this on my other devices.

I'm in Australia if that helps. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

This is question I think about the most.

At the moment there's no content scheduled until towards the end of the year, Amazon are the only ones who have signed up at the moment.

According to engadget: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/20/samsung-and-amazon-counter-dolby-vision-hdr-with-hdr10/

Samsung is totally against Dolby TrueVision that Sony adopted and made HDR10+ to counter it, eventhough that DTV still has more advantages like 12 bit HDR and 10000 nits and can even support HDMI 1.4 which is even great for old TV models and even Samsung 2015 UHD sets that don't support HDR10.
I don't see why Samsung is against DTV.
Even their 2017 models don't support DTV and I don't expect 2018 ones to support it too.

Top Bottom