• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Simon Birmingham is going to actively campaign for 'yes.' He has always seemed like one of the least objectionable from the government front bench.

Looks like Simon Birmingham is going to actively campaign for 'yes.' He has always seemed like one of the least objectionable from the government front bench.

Wonder if that means the media's info was wrong or if Birmingham is breaking ranks in this.

ETA - Ahh, Its also an opportunity to give a huge fuck you to Cory. That'd be a pretty powerful motivator (especially) at the moment.

Barnaby might be a secret Kiwi and is referring himself to the high court.

Apparently Barnaby has know about this for quite a while and has kept his cards close to his chest while criticising everyone else and it was the New Zealand Labour Party that brought it to the attention of the NZ government.

danm999

Apparently Barnaby has know about this for quite a while and has kept his cards close to his chest while criticising everyone else and it was the New Zealand Labour Party that brought it to the attention of the NZ government.

Lmao.

The "what's destroying Malcolm's chill" metronome has swung from marriage plebiscite which seeks to tear his party apart to dual citizenship troubles again.

On the bright side for Turnbull Joyce's seat is pretty sandbagged. At worst he'd get an SFF or PHON candidate so there's no real threat to his governments practical majority.

Quasar

AxCYc9i.jpg

Tony Windsor?

He's on a road trip across the centre of the country at the moment but The Guardian found him and he's not ruling anything out.

Also Damien Drum from the national party just seconded a Labor motion criticising Barnaby Joyce over the Murray Darling water disaster. Now the Coalition have form in accidentally voting against themselves but it sounds like there is dissension in the ranks, upstream vs. downstream.

And finally Matthew Guy is a dead man walking, 1/3rd of voters in key marginally seats are less likely to vote Liberal due to the "Lobster with the Mobster" scandal. Labor would have romped home had an election been held on the weekend.

He's on a road trip across the centre of the country at the moment but The Guardian found him and he's not ruling anything out.

Also Damien Drum from the national party just seconded a Labor motion criticising Barnaby Joyce over the Murray Darling water disaster. Now the Coalition have form in accidentally voting against themselves but it sounds like there is dissension in the ranks, upstream vs. downstream.

And finally Matthew Guy is a dead man walking, 1/3rd of voters in key marginally seats are less likely to vote Liberal due to the "Lobster with the Mobster" scandal. Labor would have romped home had an election been held on the weekend.

Must be a big relief for Andrews who had been looking shaky for a while now.

"South Island? North Island?" one Labor MP heckles Mr Joyce.

"Do the haka!" another yells.

Mr Joyce looks like he can't decide whether to explode with rage or burst into tears."

laoni

You'd... You'd think they'd get a lawyer to check potential statuses or something before giving someone a very visible position like Deputy Prime Minister. Question Time will be a loud one today

This is fucking hilarious.

chances another australian born MP has a kiwi father? high.

That's why you do the due diligence with you sign up, it's not hard. If one of your parents was born overseas you make damn sure you get the paperwork in order, you don't just assume.

I like the suggestion there is a Long White Cloud hanging over Parliament today.

Good troll from the ALP calling on Barnaby to no longer be heard, a philosophical debate on whether a member that doesn't even exist can be heard!

D.Lo

Yep. This thing is like a cancer waiting to rip through parliament.

Politically, the senate is fine, since you just replace with the next person on the ticket. Only lower house causes issues.

But here's the question: This issue almost certainly affected all slim majority governments, but was just not in the open. It seems likely to me the Gillard majority also possibly included invalidly elected members. Probably Howard in 98 as well. Heck even if not, Gillard actually had a two seat majority since Barnaby wasn't legal, which would have dramatically changed events.

If you play this out it really seems like many previous governments were possibly invalid too. If such is proven, shouldn't laws passed be withdrawn?

danm999

At least Waters and Canavan's cases (assuming the latter is being honest about his mum signing him up) have a weird situation where it's sort of understandible how they could make the error.

The extent of Joyce's due diligence seems to be "well me mum was born here".

Turnbull looks such a fool for calling the Greens sloppy when his own Deputy PM gets stung by something you can hardly call an edge case!

D.Lo

At least Waters and Canavan's cases (assuming the latter is being honest about his mum signing him up) have a weird situation where it's sort of understandible how they could make the error.
Waters one is totally unfair. Like it needed detailed knowledge of timed law changes in a country she has no ties to and has never been (back) to. I really think she should have fought it.

What happens if Barnaby gets to stay (like High Court rules he wasn't culpable) but Ludlam is already gone? Ludlam comes back?

danm999

I can't fathom how Joyce would be allowed to stay. Section 44 appears incredibly straightforward.

44. Any person who -

(i.) Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power: or

shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives.

IANAL but I just don't see how Joyce gets off.

Waters one is totally unfair. Like it needed detailed knowledge of timed law changes in a country she has no ties to and has never been (back) to. I really think she should have fought it.

What happens if Barnaby gets to stay (like High Court rules he wasn't culpable) but Ludlam is already gone? Ludlam comes back?

I have the suspicion that Ludlum doesn't really want back in.

Now there are rumours the Andrew Bartlett won't take up the Queensland seat and that will allow Waters to comes straight back in. But the wrinkle in that is whether Bartlett is able to give up his seat as there are doubts about his eligibility due to his position at the ANU being publically funded. Then it would come down to the 3rd person on the green ticket and whether they will stand down or take up the seat.

danm999

The govt is in full spin mode in why Canavan resigned and Joyce isn't.

"Based on that advice we are confident of his position," Senator Brandis tells Sky News.

There are difference between Mr Joyce's case and Senator Canavan's case, he says, not the least of which are the differences between New Zealand and Italian law.

Which is a load of shit because the statute doesn't distinguish between countries, and the NZ PM has even clarified Joyce is absolutely a citizen which Italy hasn't for Canavan.

Bob Katter's statement.
14/08/2017: KAP Federal Member for Kennedy Bob Katter today responded to the citizenship saga currently bludgeoning its way through the Parliament, insisting that Barnaby Joyce’s situation, while satirical, brought to light a bigger issue with Members of Parliament and Senators failing to focus on the big picture.

“Barnaby consigned Johnny Depp’s best mate to the dog house over bringing him into Australia illegally. Kick a dog enough when he’s down, he’ll come back and bite you Barnaby Joyce.

“To quote no less than Anthony Albanese, as the then leader of opposition business during the 43rd hung Parliament, “we’ve never lost a vote because we had to convince Members of Parliament that what we were doing was the right thing to do”.

“Albanese’s comment should ring true in this country”.

“It has never appealed to me to win a battle on technicalities nor on pedantics. But it does provide a golden opportunity for the people voice to shine through instead of partisan.

“The Xenophon Party and KAP see eye-to-eye on almost everything. If the Liberals act like a bunch of dingoes – Rebekah Sharkie and I will have potentially enormous power – unless they face up to their responsibilities and convince the public on the rightness of decisions; instead of the mindless brutality of their numbers.”

Equal parts common sense and lunacy.

Apparently Labor is now conspiring with the Foreign Power of NZ via the NZ Opposition to bring down the Australian Government in a potential act of Treason.

(Wut? I just wrote that and I still think its stupid)

Now Nick Xenophon is unsure if his greek citizenship was renounced correctly as he never heard back.

The veil comes off Turnbull when his power is threatened and what's underneath is nasty and vindictive.

danm999

Now Nick Xenophon is unsure if his greek citizenship was renounced correctly as he never heard back.

The veil comes off Turnbull when his power is threatened and what's underneath is nasty and vindictive.

He's panicking after Shorten refused to do a bipartisan audit of eligibility. He must have figured Shortens house was as rotten and seems to be lashing out.

In case you were wondering, yes, it's perfectly fine to draw a big dick on your survey form as long as the yes/no box is clearly visible. Buzzfeed doing God's work.

I'm not sure but I think Kevin Andrews believes SSM will lead to a slippery slope that will allow people to marry bicycles. A totally cogent argument from the hairpiece.

Bob Katter has now offically withdrawn his support for the government. Doesn't mean much atm but if Barnaby has to stand down due to the pressure or it goes to a by-election Turnbull is in trouble.

hirokazu

If you play this out it really seems like many previous governments were possibly invalid too. If such is proven, shouldn't laws passed be withdrawn?
I think the courts have already ruled that legislation passed should stand as it would cause chaos otherwise.

I think the High Court might take into consideration the current chaos and supposed difficulty in ascertaining foreign citizenship and strike a balanced interpretation of the constitution. Personally though, I think now that it's come into light, every single candidate of every single party should know better and be required to make the due diligence to check their eligibility. It sure will be an easier solution than needing to change the constitution.

Fair enough with the current ones, have them declared ineligible and move on, but penalties should be imposed on those who don't check themselves in the future.

Bernbaum

Apparently Labor is now conspiring with the Foreign Power of NZ via the NZ Opposition to bring down the Australian Government in a potential act of Treason.

(Wut? I just wrote that and I still think its stupid)
If only there were a pee-pee tape of Turnbull then there might actually be something interesting about him.

I didn't know Bob Katter was still an MP to be honest.

The Lower House crossbench never gets any attention at all unless there's a Free vote coming up or a minority government. That means they tend to get attention ~never , the Gillard years were a major exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom